PDA

View Full Version : Which (horse) boot is better?

EquineRider
Oct. 9, 2009, 04:41 PM
What boot is more beneficial- the gel/neoprene or fleece open fronts?

Right now he's flatting "naked" but I want to give him a little more support and comfort. Suggestions?

spmoonie
Oct. 9, 2009, 05:38 PM
To get technical, no boot can provide much support; only protection. Personally, I love the Equifit T Boot series. They offer a variety of different boots for almost any discipline. Their boots are wonderful: HIGH quality, very attractive, keep the horse's legs cool, and provide ample protection. They are pricey, but totally worth it. Also, if you dont want spend that much, try ebay. Their are several pairs on their reguraly.

Bogie
Oct. 9, 2009, 08:08 PM
To get technical, no boot can provide much support; only protection.

That's what I was going to say.

I use a variety of fleece lined boots for protection when I ride xc. Mostly whatever's on sale.

SkipChange
Oct. 9, 2009, 08:41 PM
That's what I was going to say.

I use a variety of fleece lined boots for protection when I ride xc. Mostly whatever's on sale.

Fleece lined out on XC??? I'm sorry, but I've always heard (I used to event) that's a dreadful idea as they absorb water and might slip down causing an injury...

I use T-boots because they don't seem to have as much heat build up as neoprene lined boots like Eskadrons. Plus the T-boots look classy and have machine washable liners. I still have eskadrons for muddy days when I want to save my precious T-boots

DancingQueen
Oct. 9, 2009, 11:23 PM
I like the neoprene, they are way easier to clean. The equifit (I think) has a liner that attaches with velcro so you can take them out and clean them. Taking them out and wringing them out also makes them dry a lot faster. Something I had to point out to some of the kids that just rinsed them off and wondered why they were still wet in the am after.

I like the Eskadrons too. They are great for schooling at home and look good for showing in the jumpers if they are new. Here's a tip for Eskadron fans, it works better with the colored (black/brown) but on white boots too. Use the ArmorAll protectant wipes on them. It will make them shiny but not sticky and they will look brand new every time you use them! The protectant wipes are even a little dirt repellant I think.

Sheepskin lining is fabulous but just very hard to keep clean.

As mentioned, most boots are for protection only. If true support of the tendons is what you are after only an oldfashioned elastic wrap can do that. Polos will also not provide a whole lot of support there.
If your horse needs tendon support one of the best options is vetwrap. It has to go on immediately before work and come off right after. You also have to make sure that you can do a smooth and even wrap. The horse can't stand with this kind of support. It gives some real support though. I'm guessing your horse won't need it but figured I'd throw it out there anyways.

tBHj
Oct. 9, 2009, 11:39 PM
If you want support why not use polo's?

Kikki
Oct. 10, 2009, 01:02 AM
Going to agree with those who said boots (and polos for that matter) aren't going to offer any support or 'comfort' but they are used instead to protect the legs from injury from them striking their legs and such. I like the Eskadron boots and the Equifit T boots, they are both good quality and hold up really well. If you want just some relatively inexpensive boots to offer general protection, Heidi type boots are great. If your horse has issues that need support, your best bet is to stand him up after hard workouts (unless you turn out after workouts, which is even better for their legs). If you can't do an EXCELLENT wrap job, skip it (polos, standing, whatever) as more harm is done by a less than perfect wrap job than the horse is helped.

When picking a basic boot, I'd probably go for something that will keep the leg cooler than some boots do. Soft tissue is more likely to be injured when it gets too hot.

Bogie
Oct. 10, 2009, 04:11 PM
I hate neoprene boots because of the heat build up.

I foxhunt with lined boots that I can throw in the washing machine. I've never had them slip and they don't really absorb much water. They are not real sheepskin but they seem to breathe better than the neoprene boots.

With neoprene boots my horse's legs were always lathered after a hunt -- and very hot. I'd prefer not to use boots at all, but my horse is short backed and will catch himself occasionally.

Fleece lined out on XC??? I'm sorry, but I've always heard (I used to event) that's a dreadful idea as they absorb water and might slip down causing an injury...

I use T-boots because they don't seem to have as much heat build up as neoprene lined boots like Eskadrons. Plus the T-boots look classy and have machine washable liners. I still have eskadrons for muddy days when I want to save my precious T-boots

travisday
Nov. 18, 2009, 02:43 PM
Hi DancingQueen -
Just an FYI - if your kids have T-Boots with removable liners the liners can go in the machine to both wash AND dry. :)
Travis
EquiFit, inc.

I like the neoprene, they are way easier to clean. The equifit (I think) has a liner that attaches with velcro so you can take them out and clean them. Taking them out and wringing them out also makes them dry a lot faster. Something I had to point out to some of the kids that just rinsed them off and wondered why they were still wet in the am after.

I like the Eskadrons too. They are great for schooling at home and look good for showing in the jumpers if they are new. Here's a tip for Eskadron fans, it works better with the colored (black/brown) but on white boots too. Use the ArmorAll protectant wipes on them. It will make them shiny but not sticky and they will look brand new every time you use them! The protectant wipes are even a little dirt repellant I think.

Sheepskin lining is fabulous but just very hard to keep clean.

As mentioned, most boots are for protection only. If true support of the tendons is what you are after only an oldfashioned elastic wrap can do that. Polos will also not provide a whole lot of support there.
If your horse needs tendon support one of the best options is vetwrap. It has to go on immediately before work and come off right after. You also have to make sure that you can do a smooth and even wrap. The horse can't stand with this kind of support. It gives some real support though. I'm guessing your horse won't need it but figured I'd throw it out there anyways.

Pirateer
Nov. 19, 2009, 05:27 AM
Unless he's kicking himself boots aren't going to provide any additional comfort, nor support.

huntereq7
Nov. 20, 2009, 07:28 PM
Another vote for the T boots- the removable liner makes them very easy to keep clean. I also LOVE my Equi-Fit polos as well- they were my favorite horsey purchase this summer- they offer great support, keep your horse's legs cool, don't slip, look very attractive (hacking or showing), and mine still look brand new! Definitely worth the extra $$