PDA

View Full Version : Waterford Bit Sizing - And Questions

naters
Oct. 9, 2009, 04:15 PM
Seems like I read that it is advisable to get 1/4" inch bigger than your "regular" bit.

So my horse normally wears a 5", I am looking for a 5 1/4".

Anyone know where I can find a 5.25" bit?

Or am I entirely wrong to begin with about the sizing?

Thanks!!

Another Question: A friend has a horse that flip-flip-flips around his head when riding. Just more like flipping the nose, less the whole head. Does not have headshaking syndrome or anything of the like, and only does this when in work.

Teeth checked.

Saddle checked.

Any other ideas for bitting? He does appear to have a low palate, which is why the waterford was suggested to us.

Any advantages to a full cheek waterford over a Dee?

naters
Oct. 9, 2009, 04:26 PM
Edits.

enjoytheride
Oct. 9, 2009, 05:20 PM
I had no problems fitting a waterford that is the same size as my gelding's usual bits. Damn good thing since he's a 5 1/2!

Personal Champ
Oct. 9, 2009, 06:11 PM
Ditto what the above poster said. I have a 5", same as all my others. Never had any problems with it pinching, etc.

Rafiki
Oct. 10, 2009, 06:02 AM
Ditto on the sizing. I don't think you need to move up a quarter inch. Another thought on a possible bit is a mullen mouth (straight) bit. Our horse loves his Waterford and he also likes a bendy rubber straight pelham (for shows when we need a little more brakes).

sportassage
Oct. 10, 2009, 09:00 AM
Love my Waterford bit. I use a 5" just like my other bits.

quiet5
Oct. 10, 2009, 09:21 AM
yup. use the same size Waterford as the other bits. no pinching, no how.

naters
Oct. 12, 2009, 10:57 PM
Thanks guys!!!

Rafiki - Does your guy have a low palate?

Peggy
Oct. 12, 2009, 11:42 PM
Ditto on the sizing. I don't think you need to move up a quarter inch. Another thought on a possible bit is a mullen mouth (straight) bit. Our horse loves his Waterford and he also likes a bendy rubber straight pelham (for shows when we need a little more brakes).My horse likes both of these bits as well, along with the Sprenger duo that is our main bit at home. I ride him in the pelham once a week at home and show with the waterford. I am fairly sure he has a low palate b/c he prefers the curvy jointed mouthpiece bits (like the JP) to the regular jointed ones. Definitely prefers the duo to the jointed happy mouth as well.

naters
Oct. 14, 2009, 04:14 PM
So, does anyone know of a good source for mullen mouth bits (not a pelham though?)

Peggy
Oct. 18, 2009, 01:00 AM
So, does anyone know of a good source for mullen mouth bits (not a pelham though?)Rubber or metal? The rubber D in the left column (2nd from bottom) is, I think, the snaffle version of my pelham - http://www.equusport.com/category.php?category_id=48

There might be a less expensive source. This guy will let you try most of the bits he has tho...

naters
Oct. 18, 2009, 01:27 AM
I don't really know a whole lot about the rubber vs the metal debate.... assuming if you need brakes occasionally - go with metal?

Peggy
Oct. 18, 2009, 01:31 AM
I ride at home in the duo or rubber mullen pelham, but show in a waterford. Definitely more brakes in the waterford. Haven't tried a regular metal mullen on this horse, but you can find them cheaper (http://www.statelinetack.com/item/korsteel-mullen-mouth-eggbutt-snaffle-bit/SLT900226/) or more expensive (http://www.doversaddlery.com/product.asp?pn=X1-01113&tid=froogle&CATALOG_CODE=1X814&EID=X1814001&zmam=1460880&zmas=1&zmac=49&zmap=X1-01113&bhcd2=1255843954).

During my 45-or-so-minute conversation with the bit guy he said that my horse, based on my description of how the horse went and my collection of bits that did and did not work, might be fine in a metal mullen but that he'd try the rubber one first.

My horse hated the wavy mullen happy mouth pelham, FWIW. It was not happy for him.

naters
Oct. 18, 2009, 01:46 AM
Thanks Peggy!!!

naters
Nov. 18, 2009, 11:13 AM
Going to try the waterford this weekend!