PDA

View Full Version : Fleeceworks half pads

hype
Oct. 9, 2009, 04:03 PM
I bought a new fleeceworks half pad in June for my daughter. I have always had Mattes in the past and been really happy with them but they didn't have one with shims in it so I got the fleeceworks one.

I ruined my Mattes by washing in hot water (I learned the hard way) but it was about 5 years old and a little dingy. It had always washed really well and I had used regular Tide or Woolite on it. I didn't dry it but let it air dry.

When I got the Fleeceworks I was very careful, used the wool cycle on my front loading washing machine, got the MELP detergent and air dried it in my house. Did not dry it in the drier even though it took days to dry.

I've washed it twice since June (Use baby pads under it to keep it nice). First time it shrunk a bit, second time it shrunk a ton and is now too small for my saddle. It would fit about a 14" saddle.

I took it back to the tack store today and she is going to send it back to the manufacturer.

Has this happened to anyone else? I don't know how else I could have washed it or been any more careful.

Do you just not wash these pads? I hate to think that I've ruined a $175 pad in 4 months and two washings. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they will replace it but truthfully I'm going to be scared to wash another one.

Did I just get unlucky or was it something that happens with Fleeceworks. Like I said, the Mattes was fine until I washed it on hot with bleach:()

I've learned the hard way once but I don't know what I did to cause this much shrinkage on the Fleeceworks. Are they that sensitive to water?

LD1129
Oct. 9, 2009, 04:10 PM
I just don't wash mine and its about two years old now.... I always use it with a dressage pad underneath (I ride dressage) and it really doesn't get dirty. I kinda just brush it off. I have no clue how people keep them clean without using a pad underneath... :confused:

BAC
Oct. 9, 2009, 04:10 PM
I like my Fleeceworks pad a lot but it just does not wash as well as my Mattes. I am very careful with the way I wash them though and would never use Tide or any other laundry detergent. I wash on cold water, gentle cycle, only use Melp or Pepede, air dry and if necessary fluff with a stiff metal dog's brush.

I think Fleeceworks owes you a new pad, as you say you couldn't have been more careful with it.

BAC
Oct. 9, 2009, 04:13 PM
I have no clue how people keep them clean without using a pad underneath... :confused:

By letting them air dry after every use and then brushing any dirt and sweat off with a stiff brush, you would be amazed how long they will stay clean. What is the point of using sheepskin if you're putting a pad between it and your saddle? You are not getting the therepeutic benefits of sheepskin if you do that.

hype
Oct. 9, 2009, 04:17 PM
I have to say that even if they give me a new pad I'm going to be scared to wash it. It seems that most with the Fleeceworks don't wash them much.

I washed the Mattes all the time without any problems. I got so comfortable washing it I put it in with the other saddle pads with bleach and hot water. That was a big problem.

I wasn't thrilled with the ruined pad but like I said it was about five years old and still somewhat usable under a pony saddle.

joyful
Oct. 9, 2009, 04:21 PM
I've had Fleecelworks pads for a long time - my oldes one is probably 5 yrs old and my newest is 2 yrs old. I wash them fairly often in cold water with gentle soap and air dry them. Make sure you do not expose them to heat, or sunlight because that will shrink them. Make sure your washing machine isn't messed up - I once had the hot and cold water lines crossed -OOPS! Fleeceworks should give you a new pad - perhaps it was a fluke?

hype
Oct. 9, 2009, 04:24 PM
I don't think that the hot/cold water lines are mixed up on the washer. They've been installed for about 5 years.

I'm hoping it was a fluke but still nervous...

LD1129
Oct. 9, 2009, 04:27 PM
My reason for using one at the moment is because my guy keeps growing faster then the saddle fitter can adjust it :lol::lol: I had it done once when he was 4 now I am saving up for the next fitting since he's a growing boy (Hanoverian that loves to eat). I hope this season is that last of the large growth spurts since he will be six next April. The sheepskin pad just evens it out enough so that there is no extra pressure on his back. Trying to keep him as comfy as possible.

By letting them air dry after every use and then brushing any dirt and sweat off with a stiff brush, you would be amazed how long they will stay clean. What is the point of using sheepskin if you're putting a pad between it and your saddle? You are not getting the therepeutic benefits of sheepskin if you do that.

Equus_girl
Oct. 9, 2009, 08:00 PM
I have bought German-made Christ at Horse expo 4 years ago and could not be happier with it. Its user every day under jumping and dressage saddles, getting washed every 2 weeks and every time it comes out of the washer, it looks brand new.
I was taking stuff home to wash and trainers asked to take her Fleeceworks pad to wash together with mine. When it came out I thought it was ruined forever, it looked that bad. It took it 4 days to dry (mine takes less than a day :O ) and a couple of hours of brushing to make it look okay...

BigDreams07
Oct. 9, 2009, 09:09 PM
Funny you mention this, I just washed mine today and it came out really nicely. Its just a standard Fleeceworks. I put it in with 2 girths and a pair of heidi boots. I put Tide in and it was on warm/cold water, I put it on extra rinse and spin. Worked great. Even stuck it in the dryer on medium heat for 30 minutes and then let it air dry outside. Its all fluffy and white now :D

Kikki
Oct. 9, 2009, 10:19 PM
We've had a lot of them not handle washing well at all. Some of them do fine, some fo them really tear up in the washer. Its horrible. Because of this I won't buy anything but Mattes pads. I have two of them, one for shows and one for every day riding. The one I use every day (and often on several horses) gets washed maybe every month and then brushed with a dog slicker brush and it still looks just fine (and the skin is holding up perfectly and not losing its density). I have had it 4-5 years now. Its great. I have a friend who had to return a Fleeceworks pad recently because she washed it the first time (in a front load washer, and had owned the pad 2 weeks) and the skin completely tore up. This has happened to a number of the pads. And like I said, we have some that have lasted forever. Go figure.

Go Fish
Oct. 9, 2009, 11:53 PM
I have 3 of them. Love the pads, but they're weird. I always wash in cold water with Woolite and let air dry. I have one that washes like a dream...comes out perfect every time. I had one that the first time I washed it, the THREAD shrunk and puckered, causing the pad to come out all wrinkled and small. Tack store replaced it. I have another that I washed, it shrunk a bit, but after riding in it a few times, it stretched out and is perfect again. :confused:

LovesHorses
Oct. 10, 2009, 12:22 AM
I love my Fleeceworks! NetEquestrian has some on sale right now.

My mom always put it in the sink with Woolite. Then into the washer for just the rinse and spin cycle. Then outside to dry and it always came out looking like new.

a_quick_one
Oct. 10, 2009, 12:27 AM
I've had a fleeceworks for like a year and a half, and washed it once or twice - and it was a hand me down from someone that I think also washed it once or twice. I use Leather Therapy, works on both the fleeceworks and my Mattes.

rottngirl
Oct. 10, 2009, 12:42 AM
I have two with mixed results. Both were washed only with cold water delicate cycle using Melp and air drying flat out of the sun and away from heat (takes about 3 days, LOL):

the one with withers relief has shrunk a TON. It used to fit my 17 saddle perfectly, now it's just barely usable. :sadsmile:

the one without the withers relief but cut to provide room for the withers hasn't shrunk a centimeter. :cool:

I still love them and use them without baby pads and wash them regularly. I figure the shrunken one is as small as it's going to get. :cool:

hype
Oct. 10, 2009, 10:25 PM
I was wondering why the fleeceworks pads seemed to hold so much water. The Mattes was fairly dry coming out of the washer and the fleeceworks was sopping wet.

I thought it was me but I guess not.

Go Fish
Oct. 10, 2009, 10:57 PM
I was wondering why the fleeceworks pads seemed to hold so much water. The Mattes was fairly dry coming out of the washer and the fleeceworks was sopping wet.

I thought it was me but I guess not.

My Fleeceworks come out of the washer pretty dry. They dry overnight.