PDA

View Full Version : Ohio QH Congress has live webcast - on now.

Plumcreek
Oct. 9, 2009, 02:17 PM
OK, got the right links revised below:

For the first time, the Ohio QH Congress has a free live webcast. Hunter Classic is the first OF event, Saturday evening. Green Working Hunter and all fence classes start Sunday and go for a couple days. Feed seems to work well and there is a live chat alongside. Or, you can get a full screen picture by right clicking little X on lower right screen. The OF fence classes are in the Celeste arena. This show (and live webcast) will go for a couple of weeks more.

Reelhorse live webcast for Celeste (Over Fence): http://www.ustream.tv/channel/reelhorse-celeste-center

Reelhorse live webcast for coliseum :
http://www.ustream.tv/channel/reelhorse-coliseum

Link for both windows: http://www.reelhorse.com/

Schedule by the day: http://www.oqha.com/congress/index.php?Itemid=79&id=18&option=com_content&task=view

reinerspook
Oct. 9, 2009, 03:22 PM
Tonight is freestyle reining. I watched for a while yesterday, no problems with the feed. There is also a real time chat feature.

chawley
Oct. 9, 2009, 05:37 PM
Thank you! I go down every year to watch the hunters, but am not able to go until later next week, so at least I can watch it online!

Plumcreek
Oct. 10, 2009, 02:33 PM
Bump for revisions and Hunter Classic updated start time of 5 pm Ohio time. Schooling now with just a wide angle lens of whole arena. I imagine they will have a better video for the classes as they sell the videos???

JinxyFish313
Oct. 10, 2009, 07:04 PM
I so don't understand the point of hunter classes at this.

dancingequestrian85
Oct. 10, 2009, 09:17 PM
i'm watching the non pro hunter right now.. does anyone know how high they jump?

Tha Ridge
Oct. 10, 2009, 09:42 PM
I so don't understand the point of hunter classes at this.

Ditto. I've only seen one trip where the horse was fluid, forward and jumping well. The rest are just awkward trantering things with pencil-thin necks and a FLAT jump.

enjoytheride
Oct. 10, 2009, 09:49 PM
The horses that will win are the people that show on the A circuit the rest of the year. Everyone else might jump local 4h and schooling show and will look it.

So look for what you would want to ride, and as the finals get closer these are the horses that are still in for the running.

enjoytheride
Oct. 10, 2009, 09:50 PM
ok, so does it play after the annoying commercials?

JinxyFish313
Oct. 10, 2009, 11:26 PM
Ditto. I've only seen one trip where the horse was fluid, forward and jumping well. The rest are just awkward trantering things with pencil-thin necks and a FLAT jump.

To me, its like having a western reining class at some warmblood stallion trial or something. I'm not knocking people who are into it, it just doesn't make any sense to me.

Plumcreek
Oct. 11, 2009, 01:38 AM
To me, its like having a western reining class at some warmblood stallion trial or something. I'm not knocking people who are into it, it just doesn't make any sense to me.

OK, I'll bite. So exactly what western class is a 16-3 hand, registered Quarter Horse, who is more than 3/4 TB, with a 12' - 13' stride supposed to show in?

klmck63
Oct. 11, 2009, 02:10 AM
OK, I'll bite. So exactly what western class is a 16-3 hand, registered Quarter Horse, who is more than 3/4 TB, with a 12' - 13' stride supposed to show in?

Regular Hunter/Jumper shows?

In my opinion, a 16.3 QH who is 3/4 TB and has a 12-13' stride is going to look REALLY out of place in a HUS class at an AQHA show! Doesn't really fit in with the modified western pleasure in english tack mould.

Tha Ridge
Oct. 11, 2009, 02:14 AM

Well, the root of the problem, in my opinion, is the fact that they're breeding them like that. I'm sorry, but they're not attractive horses - most of the ones I saw tonight were long backed and long necked with thin necks and bigger heads.

mypaintwattie
Oct. 11, 2009, 02:15 AM

One of the juniors showing in the overfences classes is my barnmate, and she shows her two QH on the A circuit here in California and does quite well. Last year she was AQHYA world champion, this year she finished again in the top 5 on both horses.

Coreene
Oct. 11, 2009, 02:21 AM
Even better, she was double world champion and had the national junior hunter champion/west a few days later.

Plumcreek
Oct. 11, 2009, 02:23 AM

In my opinion, a 16.3 QH who is 3/4 TB and has a 12-13' stride is going to look REALLY out of place in a HUS class at an AQHA show! Doesn't really fit in with the modified western pleasure in english tack mould.

I thought we were talking about fence horses here. In AQHA, HUS is NOT the U/S class.

klmck63
Oct. 11, 2009, 02:43 AM
One of the juniors showing in the overfences classes is my barnmate, and she shows her two QH on the A circuit here in California and does quite well. Last year she was AQHYA world champion, this year she finished again in the top 5 on both horses.

I'm not saying there aren't some who do both wonderfully, I know there are, but I do think the majority are not so lovely to watch. But that was kind of my point. A nice, big appendix QH with a good stride SHOULD, IMO, be able to perform on the A circuit as well as do AQHA shows. Most of them could not.

And my apologies, I didn't realize that the HUS classes were not connected to an OF class.

Plumcreek
Oct. 11, 2009, 03:02 AM
I'm not saying there aren't some who do both wonderfully, I know there are, but I do think the majority are not so lovely to watch. But that was kind of my point. A nice, big appendix QH with a good stride SHOULD, IMO, be able to perform on the A circuit as well as do AQHA shows. Most of them could not.

And my apologies, I didn't realize that the HUS classes were not connected to an OF class.

Yes, common mis-conception that the HUS class is a "hunter under saddle class" when really it is an english pleasure class (even though the rule book is written as a Hunter under saddle class). I had hopes there for awhile, when AQHA crunched down on the judges for pinning the low headed horses. That sort of backfired as, when exhibitors were forced to let the horses raise their heads and free up, the larger, longer legged, more TB horses could no longer be held into a very slow canter, so more compact "westerny" horses that could and (mentally) would maintain a very slow canter, when allowed more freedom, started winning. Be careful what you wish for.

Re the A Circuit - Depends. Most of the horses on the A Circuit (by the entry numbers) are not showing in the 3'6" + rated divisions, but are in the lower non-rated divisions. Many quarter horses do show very successfully in the lower divisions, and yes, they probably could not move up to 3'6", but neither can many TBs and Warmbloods that show on the A Circuit.

Horseshowaddict
Oct. 11, 2009, 07:57 AM
Just to add. More recently the MONSTER QH's are the ones showing in the HUS, not the fences. And yes, I think they look awkward as well.

Watching the classic last night, I thought the trips were actually quite nice (i didnt watch the non-pro). I picked out a handful that I would have loved to see jump bigger.

JinxyFish313
Oct. 11, 2009, 09:48 AM

As was said, regular h/j shows...or not at all? You find a horse appropriate for the class, not tailor the class to the horse.

enjoytheride
Oct. 11, 2009, 11:09 AM
The hunter and jumper classes at Congress are the answer to letting people with QHs who don't show in the traditional rail classes have a chance at competing at a massive QH show. Congress takes place over several weeks, attracts hundreds of vendors, and is a carnival like atomsphere. It's the only horse show I know of where you can shop for hours and have an apple dumpling, gyro, or lamb burger for lunch.

The standards are supposed to be the same as for a regular hunter round and the horses that win will be horses that show on the A circuit and then cross over to Congress to show against their breed. The arabian people hire hunter judges and not arab judges at their sport horse shows, I do not know if the QH people do the same.

JinxyFish313
Oct. 11, 2009, 11:38 AM
If its about including more people, why not make them english equitation classes then?

Coreene
Oct. 11, 2009, 11:46 AM
They do have equitation classes. And seriously, the HJ show organizers could learn at lot from the QH show organizers. Exhibitor friendly. Fabulous prizes, not just some piss-ant ribbon and maybe a shitty halter. Sponsors out the wazoo with huge ROI, not just a banner and table for ten, annual sponsors coming back year after year, etc. Trailers, saddles, bla bla bla. A HUGE, successful PR machine that keeps new competitors coming.

JinxyFish313
Oct. 11, 2009, 11:58 AM
Id rather have fewer people and "piss-ant ribbons" than a ton of lesser quality entries posing as something they are not. Thats just me.

Coreene
Oct. 11, 2009, 12:09 PM
Id rather have fewer people and "piss-ant ribbons" than a ton of lesser quality entries posing as something they are not. Thats just me.

They are QHs showing at a QH show! HelLO, the HJ world does not have an exclusive on fence classes. Same as fence classes at Arabian shows, Morgan shows etc. No dog in this fight, I have a dressage WB, but the most popular breed in America must be doing something right, even if you don't like it.

Smiles
Oct. 11, 2009, 12:46 PM
Look the reining and the cutting folks will say the same thing about congress. They do things "differently" and the level and competition is not the same as if you went to a real event. I'm not saying congress doesn't serve its purpose but if you want to see the best reining/cutting/hunter/jumper it isn't going to be at congress. I watched the class at 5 yesturday and they gave someone an 87, the horse's performance at a usef show would maybe been 78 at best. It is what it is.

Plumcreek
Oct. 11, 2009, 12:58 PM

So when those exact same QHs that placed high in the pro Hunter Classic last night routinely go down to Ocala HITS in a couple of months with those same pro riders and place well or win there, does HITS management kick them out as imposters??? (QH owners generally will not spend the insane amount of money, even if they have it, required for WEF, horse quality does not enter into it).

Smiles, this Congress show was the birthplace of the NRHA Futurity, and THE place to show a reiner for many, many, many years. Reining just outgrew it, and now there is more money up and less traveling required to go elsewhere.

BTW, I believe webcast is on.
Remember, this Congress show does not require any kind of qualifying - anyone who can pay the entry fee can show, whether they belong in the class or not.

enjoytheride
Oct. 11, 2009, 01:11 PM
Umm i'd hardly call a horse trailer, a jacket, a pile of cash, and a bunch of roses as a piss ant ribbon. Come on, when was the last time you won a horse trailer for your over fences class?

Jumping on right now.

RojoPony
Oct. 11, 2009, 01:37 PM

AQHA does not have all the divisions for different levels that USEF does.
Bascally the divisions are novice, youth, amateur and open. In novice, youth and amateur classes you only have one hunter, eq & jumping class, only one go for each. As a result you end up with a wide range of experience between the horses and riders in their divisions

Jumphigh83
Oct. 11, 2009, 01:39 PM
Watching the western pleasure...what happened to ears not below withers? Guess they were kidding about getting rid of the peanut rollers.

Plumcreek
Oct. 11, 2009, 01:49 PM
Watching the western pleasure...what happened to ears not below withers? Guess they were kidding about getting rid of the peanut rollers.

In WP, the rule is "TIP of ear not below withers". That said, Congress is not the show to watch WP if you do not drink the low head KoolAid. The futurity/maturity classes at Congress are not AQHA regulated, therefore judging standards are arbitrary. Congress is its own fifedom. Watch the WP at the AQHA World Show in November to see horses show in correct frames, because AQHA is watching the judges there.

Jumphigh83
Oct. 11, 2009, 02:58 PM
Agreed Plumcreek. The horses I watched were ear(tips) WELL BELOW the withers...thought anyone could send a video to AQHA to be sure there is compliance? Guess when the cats are away, the mice do whatever they want...guess that is why I prefer the timed events...less chance for arbitrary behavior. I don't know how the other competitors (that comply) can stand it!!

mypaintwattie
Oct. 11, 2009, 03:09 PM
They do have equitation classes. And seriously, the HJ show organizers could learn at lot from the QH show organizers. Exhibitor friendly. Fabulous prizes, not just some piss-ant ribbon and maybe a shitty halter. Sponsors out the wazoo with huge ROI, not just a banner and table for ten, annual sponsors coming back year after year, etc. Trailers, saddles, bla bla bla. A HUGE, successful PR machine that keeps new competitors coming.

And this here is the exact reason I drank the kool-aid and show on the breed circuit! The shows are reasonable- Congress and World's are the higher end price wise, but the prizes are amazing. And, best of all, the show organizers make it fun.

MHM
Oct. 11, 2009, 04:33 PM
The arabian people hire hunter judges and not arab judges at their sport horse shows, I do not know if the QH people do the same.

A friend of mine is judging a couple of the major AQHA shows, so for sure, some shows do hire hunter people to judge the hunter classes.

Remember, this Congress show does not require any kind of qualifying - anyone who can pay the entry fee can show, whether they belong in the class or not.

At any show, if you pay your entry fee, by definition, you "belong" in the class; whether or not you will be competitive is a separate issue.

JinxyFish313
Oct. 11, 2009, 05:36 PM
So when those exact same QHs that placed high in the pro Hunter Classic last night routinely go down to Ocala HITS in a couple of months with those same pro riders and place well or win there, does HITS management kick them out as imposters??? (QH owners generally will not spend the insane amount of money, even if they have it, required for WEF, horse quality does not enter into it).

Smiles, this Congress show was the birthplace of the NRHA Futurity, and THE place to show a reiner for many, many, many years. Reining just outgrew it, and now there is more money up and less traveling required to go elsewhere.

BTW, I believe webcast is on.

Im not saying there aren't a few nice hunters in the bunch, but the majority of them would look pretty silly in a h/j ring at an A show. I watched for an hour or so last night and I didn't see a single horse that would pin in any A rated division in FL. And by FL I mean WPB because HITS just isn't what it started out as.

All I'm saying is hunter movement, jumping ability, comformation and style are not characteristic of your traditional QH, so why try to make them something they are not? Like I said, I wouldn't expect there to be a reining class at a warmblood stallion trial.

It just seems contrived and silly to me.

enjoytheride
Oct. 11, 2009, 07:06 PM
So why not let people jump around some hunter courses on their QHs? They seem to make it over the fence just fine. Who cares if someone wants to jump a QH instead of a WB. They probably aren't going to florida but they most likely do just fine at their local A shows. Same with the arab people that do hunters. Who cares as long as the owner is having fun doing what their breed of choice likes to do?

Horseshowaddict
Oct. 11, 2009, 07:08 PM
I thought that most would do well in the 3' ring. The top 5 I think would be in the ribbons in the bigger stuff. Maybe not the winner if there were some amazing horses in the classes. The way of going for the nice QH hunter is really pleasant, if I was the judge in my head I would be saying "that looks like something that I would really enjoy riding". Once again, a nice horse is a nice horse.

Plumcreek
Oct. 11, 2009, 08:01 PM
Yes, most riders would rather have a pleasant time over fences than require "Saddle Tite" or whatever that stickum is that even some top USEF trainers need to ride the big round effort that wins top A Circuit Classics.

Also, I believe the 'pleasant ride' look is what wins in top AQHA company. The extreme A Circuit hunter style will usually not. I have seen a top USEF hunter trainer present the same winning horse differently and have a very different riding style at QH vs AA Circuit shows.

"All I'm saying is hunter movement, jumping ability, comformation and style are not characteristic of your traditional QH, so why try to make them something they are not?" ............ Well, the problem is there was this 'racing thing' going on in QH land starting in the 1940s, and it begot some big rangy, long strided, 3/4 TB horses that needed a job after they left the track. I do believe some of us are old enough to remember that hunters used to be TBs.

Jumphigh83
Oct. 11, 2009, 08:18 PM
Back in the olden days I had THE BEST adult hunter that never left a show that he was not champion or reserve and he moved a nine and jumped a twelve. We showed at ALL H/J shows. He was amazing. He was 15.1 hands and an old style QH. Never say never and NEVER ASSume.

Parrotnutz
Oct. 11, 2009, 08:19 PM
Yes, most riders would rather have a pleasant time over fences than require "Saddle Tite" or whatever that stickum is that even some top USEF trainers need to ride the big round effort that wins top A Circuit Classics.

Also, I believe the 'pleasant ride' look is what wins in top AQHA company. The extreme A Circuit hunter style will usually not. I have seen a top USEF hunter trainer present the same winning horse differently and have a very different riding style at QH vs AA Circuit shows.

"All I'm saying is hunter movement, jumping ability, comformation and style are not characteristic of your traditional QH, so why try to make them something they are not?" ............ Well, the problem is there was this 'racing thing' going on in QH land starting in the 1940s, and it begot some big rangy, long strided, 3/4 TB horses that needed a job after they left the track. I do believe some of us are old enough to remember that hunters used to be TBs.

Yup....I am old enough to remember at every "a" rated show i went to there was a 3' NON-throughbred division because almost all hunters were TB's and a warmblood was rare. :winkgrin: My appendix QH used to win a lot.
On another note....the rounder jump usually comes with the higher fences. At 3' and under I find most athletic horses don't necessarily round up unless the amatuer chips.

JinxyFish313
Oct. 11, 2009, 08:20 PM
I never said anything about TB's not being hunters :dunno:

What you just posted is exactly what I think is weird/silly/contrived about the hunters I watched on the feed...

"Also, I believe the 'pleasant ride' look is what wins in top AQHA company. The extreme A Circuit hunter style will usually not. I have seen a top USEF hunter trainer present the same winning horse differently and have a very different riding style at QH vs AA Circuit shows."

To me, hunters are hunters...there can't be two dramatically different styles. "Pleasant ride look" sounds like a pleasure class to me.

So far all I've heard is that the hunters exist in QH world because there are QH's (crosses) that don't fit anywhere else. I agree with whomever said breeding is the problem there.

Horseshowaddict
Oct. 11, 2009, 09:16 PM
All of those classes exist in the QH shows because the QH is supposed to be versatile. Yes, the breed has become specialized, but it is still a big deal to win the Super Horse title at Worlds, and there are All Around awards that they compete for too. I think its nice. And yes, they are two different styles

"Also, I believe the 'pleasant ride' look is what wins in top AQHA company. The extreme A Circuit hunter style will usually not. I have seen a top USEF hunter trainer present the same winning horse differently and have a very different riding style at QH vs AA Circuit shows."

I completely agree with this quote. All you have to do is read the rulebook to understand what she is saying. Just how a Childrens/Adult hunter is judged differently than a Jr/AO horse.

nlk
Oct. 11, 2009, 09:20 PM
I could start this with once upon a time but I am really not that old:lol: About 6 years ago was the last time I was involved with AQHA. At that time the rule for western and English alike was that the POLL was not to be below the withers. Not that EVERYONE rode like that but more often then not, especially with younger judges, you were placed for the correct way of going not what was popular. That was what was stated in the rule book. It must have changed if it is now tip of ears......

Anyways back to what I was saying. Being on a 16.1hh QH (that was not a cross, going back 5 generations) that was breed for dressage. I ALWAYS pinned well in HUS. What placed was a horse that had a round back, a big stride, push from behind and a level topline granted a little looser rein but not much......

ISn't that what we strive for in all of our hunters? A horse who holds his self, travels with a nice top line with push from behind. Isn't that what places in OUR Hunter Under Saddle classes? Did I miss something?

It doesn't matter what breed the horse is. If he can compete with those qualities and win at AQHA (like it should) and win on the "A" then why does this horse have to do TWO different styles? When essentially both worlds (AQHA and HUNTERS) are striving for the same thing?

Hunters were NEVER meant to discriminate against breed. A horse that can go out on a hunt, is a pleasure to ride and can keep up with the hounds, that is were HUNTERS were derived. Not what breed the horse is, how he is breed, and if he can pop you out of the saddle over the jump (so in someways our discipline has strayed from it's roots too. seriously who would want to be on a hunt and get popped out of the saddle over every fence?)

Hunters were about showing what a pleasure riding that horse is, that it would be a pleasure to ride on a hunt. HUNTERS are the PLEASURE classes of the jumping world.

Parrotnutz
Oct. 11, 2009, 09:35 PM
I could start this with once upon a time but I am really not that old:lol: About 6 years ago was the last time I was involved with AQHA. At that time the rule for western and English alike was that the POLL was not to be below the withers. Not that EVERYONE rode like that but more often then not, especially with younger judges, you were placed for the correct way of going not what was popular. That was what was stated in the rule book. It must have changed if it is now tip of ears......

Anyways back to what I was saying. Being on a 16.1hh QH (that was not a cross, going back 5 generations) that was breed for dressage. I ALWAYS pinned well in HUS. What placed was a horse that had a round back, a big stride, push from behind and a level topline granted a little looser rein but not much......

ISn't that what we strive for in all of our hunters? A horse who holds his self, travels with a nice top line with push from behind. Isn't that what places in OUR Hunter Under Saddle classes? Did I miss something?

It doesn't matter what breed the horse is. If he can compete with those qualities and win at AQHA (like it should) and win on the "A" then why does this horse have to do TWO different styles? When essentially both worlds (AQHA and HUNTERS) are striving for the same thing?

Hunters were NEVER meant to discriminate against breed. A horse that can go out on a hunt, is a pleasure to ride and can keep up with the hounds, that is were HUNTERS were derived. Not what breed the horse is, how he is breed, and if he can pop you out of the saddle over the jump (so in someways our discipline has strayed from it's roots too. seriously who would want to be on a hunt and get popped out of the saddle over every fence?)

Hunters were about showing what a pleasure riding that horse is, that it would be a pleasure to ride on a hunt. HUNTERS are the PLEASURE classes of the jumping world.

Yes, it used to be that a show hunter would emulate what was in the hunt field but somewhere along the way that got lost and it has become a counting strides beauty contest, sadly enough. And I love hunters as much as anyone....I am a sucker for a good hunter. I adore the hunter classic and wish they would do them at "amatuer" heights.
I agree that a good horse is a good horse....except here, for some, on the COTH board, who will beat a "QH is not a hunter" to death!

Plumcreek
Oct. 11, 2009, 09:55 PM
At any show, if you pay your entry fee, by definition, you "belong" in the class; whether or not you will be competitive is a separate issue.

You are right - point taken.

maudie
Oct. 11, 2009, 09:56 PM
I was at Congress yesterday, and I was MORTIFIED. One girl went around the entire course in jumping position! Then someone else sat up in the air and held onto their horse's mouth. Another horse jumped with it's legs straight. Then again, I was watching the 2'6 division in the morning. Please tell me all big hunter shows aren't like this?

JinxyFish313
Oct. 11, 2009, 10:23 PM

I don't think they should discriminate by breed either, but they should have a specific style. I didn't see any hunter style in the rounds I watched yesterday. The breed thing is exactly my point...why encourage (by giving good ribbons) a different style than what is desired in the h/j ring? Either go like they do in regular hunter shows, or call it something else.

Again, I'm not trying to ruffle any feathers here or hate on QH's. Encouraging what I saw yesterday is the same to me as having all of the unrated <3' pre this, modified that, blah blah blah divisions at AA shows now...just dumbs down the sport.

I teach with a well bred QH in the school program and he is definitely a handy and cute jumper, pretty scopey despite his age and build, but a hunter he is not. I guess I feel like there should be some way to show off QH jumpers that are good in their own way, not necessarily the traditional hunter style, and by a different name? I dunno.

RojoPony
Oct. 11, 2009, 10:27 PM
I was at Congress yesterday, and I was MORTIFIED. One girl went around the entire course in jumping position! Then someone else sat up in the air and held onto their horse's mouth. Another horse jumped with it's legs straight. Then again, I was watching the 2'6 division in the morning. Please tell me all big hunter shows aren't like this?

Interesting
AQHA doesn't have a 2'6 division and the fence classes didn't start until the afternoon

All I'm saying is hunter movement, jumping ability, comformation and style are not characteristic of your traditional QH, so why try to make them something they are not? Like I said, I wouldn't expect there to be a reining class at a warmblood stallion trial.

I never said anything about TB's not being hunters

Most QH hunters are 1/2 to 7/8 TB's

bugsynskeeter
Oct. 11, 2009, 10:42 PM

I don't have a dog in this fight, but this isn't true. The first NRHA futurity was in Columbus, Ohio in 1966. However, the first QH Congress wasn't until 1967. Congress was NOT the birthplace of the NRHA Futurity, they both just happened to begin in the same city.

maudie
Oct. 11, 2009, 10:45 PM
Interesting
AQHA doesn't have a 2'6 division and the fence classes didn't start until the afternoon

Most QH hunters are 1/2 to 7/8 TB's

Time stamp on my photo say's 11:53 AM. I arrived about 20 minutes before that, no idea how long the class had been going on before I got there And I didn't have a program, but the fences looked 2'6 to me, I suppose they could have been 3'.

Plumcreek
Oct. 11, 2009, 10:49 PM
I don't have a dog in this fight, but this isn't true. The first NRHA futurity was in Columbus, Ohio in 1966. However, the first QH Congress wasn't until 1967. Congress was NOT the birthplace of the NRHA Futurity, they both just happened to begin in the same city.

OK, I did not know that...I first went to the Congress in 1973, after hearing about it for years, and the NRHA Reining Futurity was the big draw then. I ASSumed both events had sort of started together.

Plumcreek
Oct. 11, 2009, 10:52 PM
Time stamp on my photo say's 11:53 AM. I arrived about 20 minutes before that, no idea how long the class had been going on before I got there And I didn't have a program, but the fences looked 2'6 to me, I suppose they could have been 3'.
Were you watching the warmup? Congress has novice rider OF classes later this week.

bugsynskeeter
Oct. 11, 2009, 10:52 PM
No worries...just wanted to clear it up :) Actually the first Congress used the fact that the first Futurity went $4000 in debt after the event to their advantage. They were determined not to go in debt and actually ended up making $15,000.

Anyways...enough for the history lesson. Back to the topic at hand :)

Surly Sue
Oct. 11, 2009, 10:53 PM
I saw some of the Congress this weekend.. amateur hunters, and I have to say that the horses and the rides I saw look pretty much to me to run the same gamut of quality, scope and stride as what I would see a USEF show. (Missed the pro hunters... darn). I am not familiar with the quarter horse show circuit so excuse me if I misuse terms...

However, two themes struck me in particular. First, the efficiency with which the rings ran and the prize money! These shows seem very inviting given my recent show experiences. Second, I pondered while reading this thread how many of the negative comments are really based on knowledge and how many on some weird prejudice. Can you REALLY pick out an appendix quarter horse at a USEF show? It's easy while watching the Congress to know these are all quarter horses and turn up your nose. However, what if there were some objective judging forum to test everyone's taste in hunters. If you were watching an anonymous group of 10 dark bay 17 hand hunters... do you think you could pick out the warmbloods from the TB's from the App QH' s at first sight? Seriously doubt it...

By the way, I've owned about 5 TB'S and one warmblood. Not one QH to date, but I'm thinking about it ... I'm in the school that a good horse is a good horse, but perhaps something can be learned from the AQHA show circuit and the apparently cool shows they run. (Free live feed on the net, awesome!)

maudie
Oct. 11, 2009, 11:11 PM
Were you watching the warmup? Congress has novice rider OF classes later this week.

I saw horses going through a course, one by one, three refusals and out. There were also two people in tall chairs, I assumed they were judges.

Sparky
Oct. 11, 2009, 11:26 PM
That was an unjudged warmup. The officials were there to make sure everyone followed the rules and if there were 3 refusals they whistled the rider out. There were a 3' pro, 3' non-pro and a 2'6 pro and non- pro warm up classes. The two classics then started at 5 pm.

Plumcreek
Oct. 12, 2009, 01:56 PM
I think Novice Youth WH is on now - same as pre-childrens in USEF.

Followed by Amateur WH - same as Adult Amateur in USEF, then Open Youth - same as USEF Childrens WH.

maudie
Oct. 12, 2009, 07:43 PM
that makes sense! thank you

Plumcreek
Oct. 13, 2009, 01:45 PM
Hunter Hack on now in the Coliseum, and these will be the last for OF classes this year.

Sparky
Oct. 13, 2009, 02:22 PM
Plum, the Sr hack is tomorrow, then that will be the end of the o/f classes thank God.

tle
Oct. 13, 2009, 02:38 PM
I don't think they should discriminate by breed either, but they should have a specific style. I didn't see any hunter style in the rounds I watched yesterday. The breed thing is exactly my point...why encourage (by giving good ribbons) a different style than what is desired in the h/j ring? Either go like they do in regular hunter shows, or call it something else.

First, a judge can only place what he can see. Therefore, in a ring of less than stellar trips, someone HAS to win. Whether they can place well in a larger pond (A show) or not... doesn't matter. This is the class on that day and that ride was the best.

Second, why encourage? Who says they are? see point in previous paragraph. Congress IS a breed specific show. It attracts THOUSANDS of exhibitors, vendors and visitors. It's a HUGE deal. AQHA makes a big deal about the suitability of the QH... the right QH can do whatever you want. So they offer the hunter classes. I don't see anything wrong with it. It encourages diversity within the use of the breed, encourages people to get involved in showing, and encourages sponsors for the different classes. Sounds to me like AQHA is doing something PR-wise absolutely correct. Also, see point made above. So the top Congress horses can't compete at WPB... neither can the winners of my local pony club show (in similar divisions) but they still offer the class, have sponsors, folks enjoy seeing it and...

EVERYONE HAS FUN!

What's so wrong with that?

tidy rabbit
Oct. 13, 2009, 02:46 PM
I think what makes AQHA Congress interesting is that it attracts horse people from all walks of life. In the Hunter & Jumper rings there may have been some horses that are VERY successful on the USEF AA circuit. Just because you don't know who they are, doesn't mean they're not there. ;-)

But in addition to that, there are people who come from their backyard type local level AQHA shows. They maybe school some fences at home and do local schooling type shows and then they head for the big leagues once a year. Of course they're going not be as polished as riders who complete at a higher level. But who cares? That's part of the appeal of Congress, it's a mix of high quality horses and the 4H crowd. Makes for wonderful spectating.

Parrotnutz
Oct. 13, 2009, 04:28 PM
David Conners and Bill Ellis certainly show in FLA on USEF every year. Linda Crothers worked for Louise Serio years ago and then there is Patty Stovel....she showed over fences at the Congress this year.
*Some* people use different names for their horses on the different circuits :D

tidy rabbit
Oct. 13, 2009, 04:31 PM
David Conners and Bill Ellis certainly show in FLA on USEF every year. Linda Crothers worked for Louise Serio years ago and then there is Patty Stovel....she showed over fences at the Congress this year.
*Some* people use different names for their horses on the different circuits :D

HAHA, I think we all use different names @ USEF then @ AQHA shows. Some sweet AQHA names out there for sure. My mare's name is Money Making Miss, she was doomed from the beginning with that name. Now she's Baby Making Miss. :-)

maudie
Oct. 13, 2009, 06:16 PM
I think what makes AQHA Congress interesting is that it attracts horse people from all walks of life. In the Hunter & Jumper rings there may have been some horses that are VERY successful on the USEF AA circuit. Just because you don't know who they are, doesn't mean they're not there. ;-)

But in addition to that, there are people who come from their backyard type local level AQHA shows. They maybe school some fences at home and do local schooling type shows and then they head for the big leagues once a year. Of course they're going not be as polished as riders who complete at a higher level. But who cares? That's part of the appeal of Congress, it's a mix of high quality horses and the 4H crowd. Makes for wonderful spectating.

yeah! Nothing better than backyard barn rats blasting aroudn a course yanking on thier horses and chipping in every other fence until they fall off into the jump :D

I encourage people 'going for it' but not at the expense of their horse

Parrotnutz
Oct. 13, 2009, 06:58 PM
yeah! Nothing better than backyard barn rats blasting aroudn a course yanking on thier horses and chipping in every other fence until they fall off into the jump :D

I am REALLY, REALLY TIRED of this......I see plenty of the same type "as you call them, back yard barn rats" at USEF shows yanking on mouths and chipping fences, too. The AQHA is not the only place you can see "bad" rides....it is not exclusive to QH's....see plenty of it on ANY amateur/junior circuit.

I am sure the clients of the likes of David Conners et al would love to know how they are classified. It is so easy to get perfect distances when typing on ones computer. :lol:

mypaintwattie
Oct. 13, 2009, 07:57 PM
I am REALLY, REALLY TIRED of this......I see plenty of the same type "as you call them, back yard barn rats" at USEF shows yanking on mouths and chipping fences, too. The AQHA is not the only place you can see "bad" rides....it is not exclusive to QH's....see plenty of it on ANY amateur/junior circuit.

I am sure the clients of the likes of David Conners et al would love to know how they are classified. It is so easy to get perfect distances when typing on ones computer. :lol:

Exactly, you can see them at any show local or rated. I think the point was made earlier that some of the exhibitors at Congress or other AQHA shows don't show on the A circuit not because their horses wouldn't be competitive- but because it is simply too expensive! Congress is a big show but is still reasonably priced to attend, and where else do you find shopping like you do at Congress? There are plenty decent riders there and there are plenty of other riders that will be decent in time, who are showing because it is a fun show. Isn't that what showing is supposed to be about? Fun?

tidy rabbit
Oct. 13, 2009, 10:25 PM

It's not THAT bad. Sheesh. Sure there's come folks who are over faced and not properly prepared but so what? What would you do to change it?

Perhaps you should get involved in AQHA and start holding H/J training clinics to get some of these riders up to snuff?

Or should Congress be an invitational? You can bet it would lose a lot of it's charm if that happened.

maudie
Oct. 13, 2009, 10:25 PM

Never said it was exclusive to QH shows. Maybe it's late, but I don't know who David Conners is, unless you are reffering to David O'Conner.

The post I was replying to was saying that she enjoyed congress because it showed a variety of talent (generelizing here). I'm saying that most of the riders were terrible.

Sparky
Oct. 13, 2009, 10:33 PM
Gee, and here I thought my family had made a successful business by selling nice QH's to happy horse show-ers' when all we've done is sell imposter horses to poser riders. Who knew.

Parrotnutz
Oct. 13, 2009, 10:46 PM
Never said it was exclusive to QH shows. Maybe it's late, but I don't know who David Conners is, unless you are reffering to David O'Conner.

The post I was replying to was saying that she enjoyed congress because it showed a variety of talent (generelizing here). I'm saying that most of the riders were terrible.

David Conners....used to be top rider strictly AQHA over fences years ago....
he and Bill Ellis got together and moved to NJ and with Carol Stillwell, think Monmouth AA show, started doing USEF with QH's....

David O'Conner is a top eventer....DUH I may own appendix QH's but I do know my trainers<couldn't resist the joke>. And Gosh Golly, mine show USEF and I am constantly asked if my mare is an oldenberg/TB cross. My baby has not grown up enough to show yet.

Mara
Oct. 13, 2009, 10:46 PM
A lot of the attitude I'm seeing on this thread is exactly what gets hunter people labeled as "snobs" and "princesses".

Parrotnutz
Oct. 13, 2009, 10:47 PM
Gee, and here I thought my family had made a successful business by selling nice QH's to happy horse show-ers' when all we've done is sell imposter horses to poser riders. Who knew.

You have that wrong....it would be selling Off Breed horses to people who yank and pull and are terrible riders :D

Sparky
Oct. 13, 2009, 11:01 PM
You have that wrong....it would be selling Off Breed horses to people who yank and pull and are terrible riders :D

Yes, thank you for correcting me. I get so darn tired at Congress dodging the scary riders and the 8,000 or so fugly whatever-they-ares that I can't remember to put me in my place.

maudie
Oct. 13, 2009, 11:14 PM
look, I like my TB's, Appendix's, and QH's. You guys are stuffing words into my mouth. All I'm saying is that you should come to a show prepared, no matter the level, the people I saw were not prepared.

edit: I was reserve champ on a registered Paint horse at the last show I went to, said horse showed jumpers in the morning and then hunters with me in the afternoon.

Parrotnutz
Oct. 13, 2009, 11:15 PM
Yes, thank you for correcting me. I get so darn tired at Congress dodging the scary riders and the 8,000 or so fugly whatever-they-ares that I can't remember to put me in my place.

Consider yourself put in your place....I could tell you needed a good slap up side the head......now go yank on a horse's mouth and chip all your fences please.

But I have no taste, being a USEF rider who has only owned appendix QH's my whole life......guess I should just go to the Congress

Parrotnutz
Oct. 13, 2009, 11:20 PM
look, I like my TB's, Appendix's, and QH's. You guys are stuffing words into my mouth. All I'm saying is that you should come to a show prepared, no matter the level, the people I saw were not prepared.

UUMMMMmm no one is "stuffing words" in your mouth.....scroll up....u r the one who used terms like "barn rat" etc.
I supposed everyone comes prepared to all USEF shows? Bad riders are only exclusive to "off circuits" ??

maudie
Oct. 13, 2009, 11:24 PM
UUMMMMmm no one is "stuffing words" in your mouth.....scroll up....u r the one who used terms like "barn rat" etc.
I supposed everyone comes prepared to all USEF shows? Bad riders are only exclusive to "off circuits" ??

yeah! Nothing better than backyard barn rats blasting aroudn a course yanking on thier horses and chipping in every other fence until they fall off into the jump

Don't know about you, but I'm reading my statement reffering to the yahoos who are showing up, blasting aroudn the course and yanking on thier horses. I didn't say anything about it being exclusive to Congress or QH's.

I also said I encourage people "from all walks of life" to go to congress as long as they can handle themselves

Parrotnutz
Oct. 13, 2009, 11:29 PM
yeah! Nothing better than backyard barn rats blasting aroudn a course yanking on thier horses and chipping in every other fence until they fall off into the jump

Don't know about you, but I'm reading my statement reffering to the yahoos who are showing up, blasting aroudn the course and yanking on thier horses. I didn't say anything about it being exclusive to Congress or QH's.

Melissa, my dear, the topic/thread is all about the Congress and watching it.....so who else would you be refering to in your post? Please do not back pedal now.

And I do want to Thank You for a wonderful evening of entertainment....it took my mind off some really serious matters in my life.

Plumcreek
Oct. 13, 2009, 11:37 PM
Kind of reminds me of the time that I watched USEF trainer/judge, and one of nicest hunter riders ever, Shane George trot into the AQHA World show hunter class, looked down at my program to see who he was riding, and heard my friend say "Jeez, that guy cannot ride at all!". Whipped my head up in suprise and cracked up. Shane was catch riding a horse who obviously did not have much of a lead change, and he was hanging off on the outside of horsie over the oxers like an Apache so horsie would positively land on the correct lead. But, yeah, terrible rider.

Sparky, is the Jerk Chicken guy still there? Darn, that was good chicken.

maudie
Oct. 13, 2009, 11:41 PM
Melissa, my dear, the topic/thread is all about the Congress and watching it.....so who else would you be refering to in your post? Please do not back pedal now.

And I do want to Thank You for a wonderful evening of entertainment....it took my mind off some really serious matters in my life.

I'm not back pedeling. Here, I'll revise my statement for all of you who feel the intense need to "read between the lines" and uncover my deep, secret, loathing of all things quarter horse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tidy rabbit

yeah! Nothing better than backyard barn rats reffering to those to head for the big leagues once a year and are groosly unprepared blasting aroudn a course yanking on thier horses and chipping in every other fence until they fall off into the jump

I encourage people 'going for it' once again reffering to the backyard ridersbut not at the expense of their horse who is being yanked on by a yahoo

I AM referring to the riders at Congress who were riding like yahoos. I NEVER said everyone at congress was riding like a yahoo. I NEVER said everyone was a backyard barn rat.

I'd rather watch the quality horses that are competitive in open shows than the random barn rats

Sparky
Oct. 13, 2009, 11:53 PM
Sparky, is the Jerk Chicken guy still there? Darn, that was good chicken.

Plum, he might be, but that doesn't sound like a meal I would go searching for. One of our clients is the Sweet Shop so I do most of my grazing there :lol:

Plumcreek
Oct. 13, 2009, 11:57 PM
Plum, he might be, but that doesn't sound like a meal I would go searching for. One of our clients is the Sweet Shop so I do most of my grazing there :lol:
I was skeptical also when I saw the booth the first time, but he offered me a taste, and boy it was good, and not spicy hot like I had heard. So your blood sugar level is a little high by now?

Sparky
Oct. 14, 2009, 12:07 AM
I'm out of here on Thursday morning but I think I have time for a few more cinnamon rolls. The Sr hack is tomorrow night. Would you believe we don't have a rider to show Jazz?! David Connors flew in, won 2 classes, hopped on a plane to Harrisburg, braided His 1st Year horse and showed her yesterday and today. I love that guy!

Coreene
Oct. 14, 2009, 12:52 AM
Hey Plum, totally unrelated but found a lovely curb in WB size! :lol: So Pimp My Ride pics in full silver bling shortly.

Plumcreek
Oct. 14, 2009, 01:06 AM
Hey Plum, totally unrelated but found a lovely curb in WB size! :lol: So Pimp My Ride pics in full silver bling shortly.

A little western bling on a warmblood is a good thing.

Coreene, you MUST put the Congress on your bucket list. I remember in 1973 (Superfly era), my little California self arrived at the Congress, and the first thing I saw was Lynn Anderson (the former country singer) in hot pink head to toe showing a halter horse. Then I saw patent leather silver halters and chaps in bright yellow smooth leather, and I knew I was not in navy, brown, or tan California anymore.

mypaintwattie
Oct. 14, 2009, 01:29 PM
A little western bling on a warmblood is a good thing.

Coreene, you MUST put the Congress on your bucket list. I remember in 1973 (Superfly era), my little California self arrived at the Congress, and the first thing I saw was Lynn Anderson (the former country singer) in hot pink head to toe showing a halter horse. Then I saw patent leather silver halters and chaps in bright yellow smooth leather, and I knew I was not in navy, brown, or tan California anymore.

Shall we go next year???? :D Gotta go to the Paint Fall World Championship too.

Sparky
Oct. 14, 2009, 01:55 PM
As soon as I get to a real computer I'll post pictures that will make all you bling shoppers book your flights for next year's Congress :lol:

LearnToFly
Oct. 14, 2009, 03:51 PM
I turn it on, expecting to see Congress, and I get Achmed the Dead Terrorist????

Sparky
Oct. 14, 2009, 03:57 PM
Here are a few pics from the trade show
Share this photo with anyone by sending them this public link:
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=30706608&l=5c338e62a0&id=1491799817

Plumcreek
Oct. 14, 2009, 04:21 PM
I turn it on, expecting to see Congress, and I get Achmed the Dead Terrorist????

There ARE commercials during ring drag and after show is over. FREE is not free.

Sparky, your facebook link only shows one photo.

naters
Oct. 14, 2009, 04:39 PM
There ARE commercials during ring drag and after show is over. FREE is not free.

Hey Plumcreek - thanks for the link (my mother is so excited!) .

We don't do AQHA stuff (our QHs dont fit the movement) but love to watch!

What is "celeste"?

Is that just the name of another ring? the camerawoman?

Sorry - stupid question, but mom's wondering, so I am too :)

Sparky
Oct. 14, 2009, 04:54 PM
Lol Celeste Arena is the main show pen at the Ohio Expo Center where Congress is held. But I'd like to think it's the camerman's name.

Sparky
Oct. 14, 2009, 04:57 PM

Sorry. I'm trying to do it from my phone and I'm not very good at it. Will post all the pics when I get home.

tle
Oct. 14, 2009, 05:14 PM
What is "celeste"?

Is that just the name of another ring? the camerawoman?

Sorry - stupid question, but mom's wondering, so I am too :)

It's one of the main arenas. Named after a former governor (IIRC -- I'm horrible with Ohio history).

Plumcreek
Oct. 14, 2009, 05:24 PM
These 3 year old non-pro HUS horses looked pretty good. I just googled Hot Ones Only, the big bay stud that made the first go finals coming up right now, with three socks, and he is interesting. Wonder if they will jump him later??

Sparky
Oct. 14, 2009, 05:27 PM
He won the Jr and the amateur driving this morning. I think he's already doing the hack ,although he didn't show in it here.

mypaintwattie
Oct. 14, 2009, 07:09 PM
He won 3 Congress Championships last year. Stands at Highpoint Performance Horses, Jason Martin and Charlie Cole's place.