PDA

View Full Version : Le Shad...

HollysHobbies
Oct. 9, 2009, 12:20 PM
Does one ride 4th in a Shad? Or not?

Romany
Oct. 9, 2009, 12:33 PM
You missed the nicest one of all - get thee over to Tropical Riders and treat yourself to a Borso D'Este Sofia; they're made from GORGEOUS Italian wool with just enough stretch, immaculately styled, perfect weighting, and the sizing on the chart is VERY accurate. Oh, and did I mention they were reduced from $700 to $260 last time I checked? You can some times find them on Ebay also.

HollysHobbies
Oct. 9, 2009, 12:57 PM
Yowzah! Pretty! Thanks Romany! Where did you buy yours? I found a men's at tropicalrider.com, but not the ladies version...

If I wear a 4 shirt, do I size up for the jacket? (go for a 6?)

Elatu
Oct. 9, 2009, 12:59 PM
Ok, so I am I crazy, or did the USEF permit shads in the new rules for next year, or is someone reading the rules wrong? Canada still only permits shads at FEI level.

Bronte
Oct. 9, 2009, 01:22 PM
What Elatu said!
And navy Cavello!

caddym
Oct. 9, 2009, 01:26 PM
Ok, so I am I crazy, or did the USEF permit shads in the new rules for next year, or is someone reading the rules wrong? Canada still only permits shads at FEI level.

US only permits shadbellys for FEI as well - they are not permitted below prix st george. I believe you would be eliminated to wear a shadbelly at 4th

Kentucky is a great brand for tall thin riders

SillyHorse
Oct. 9, 2009, 02:02 PM
Sure, wear one at 4th. What the heck, if you can afford to buy one, you should darned well be able to wear it if you want to, right? And before you know it, they'll be wearing them in Intro. Won't that be great? Shads and toppers or everyone! :lol:

JRG
Oct. 9, 2009, 02:18 PM
Sure, wear one at 4th. What the heck, if you can afford to buy one, you should darned well be able to wear it if you want to, right? And before you know it, they'll be wearing them in Intro. Won't that be great? Shads and toppers or everyone! :lol:

Too funny, I was thinking the same thing. lol

caddym
Oct. 9, 2009, 02:30 PM

'cept the USEF rules require "short coat of consevative color" for training through 4th. so yeah wear it during lesons but not at a recognized competition

Romany
Oct. 9, 2009, 08:34 PM
Yowzah! Pretty! Thanks Romany! Where did you buy yours? I found a men's at tropicalrider.com, but not the ladies version...

If I wear a 4 shirt, do I size up for the jacket? (go for a 6?)

Huh - you're right - I just went and checked the website! Give them a call, in case they've got any left in stock.

I definitely saw a few on Ebay - not as cheap as TR had them, but not so bad, either.

And as for size in this brand - go small, in my experience. But double-check with the seller and get them to measure chest, waist, shoulders, etc (the arms are consistently loooong :) ).

dressagediosa
Oct. 9, 2009, 08:48 PM
I just got a shadbelly from RJ Classics, and it is GORGEOUS! The weight is incredible, lovely lining to the tails, and the best part? $300. http://rjclassics.com/dyn_category.php?k=149925

And as others have pointed out, you have to save it for FEI. But it's a heck of a thing when you get there!

HollysHobbies
Oct. 10, 2009, 09:04 PM
Oops, my bad...I guess it's the double bridle that can get introduced at 4th, not the shad. Oh well, (shrugs shoulders), that may take a while...

Why, YES, that's me at FOODLION grocery store sporting my dream shad-tails passaging down the toilet paper aisle. And proud of it. Did you see my 2 footed half-pass? I move like Tortilas! OOH, watch out for that soda spill on aisle 4--that can really ^*&* up your pirouette!!! :lol:

yaya
Oct. 10, 2009, 10:32 PM
Actually, you can start the double bridle at 3rd.

slc2
Oct. 11, 2009, 03:58 AM
And you can ride the FEI in a short coat.

JRG
Oct. 11, 2009, 07:11 AM
Actually if we are quoting rules
From FEI:
Article 427 DRESS
1. Civilians: Compulsory at all CDI3*/CDI4*/CDI5*/CDI-W and CDIOs,
Championships, Regional and Olympic Games a black or dark blue tail coat or
other colours may be worn within in the international HSV colour scale. Colours
having a value for “V” smaller than 32% according to the HSV model may be
approved through application to the FEI Dressage Department. Contrast
colouring and piping is allowed.
Top hat**: black or may be same colour as coat
Breeches: white or off white
Stock or tie: white, off white or same colour as coat
Gloves: white, off white or same colour as coat
Riding boots: black or same colour as coat
Spurs: see point 3.
At all CDI1*/CDI2*, a black or dark blue jacket (colours see above) with a
bowler hat or hunting cap is also permitted. This dress is also desirable for all
other international dressage events, unless otherwise stated in any special rules
(CDIY, CDIJ, CDIP, CDI-Ch).
Note**: If, for safety reasons, an athlete wishes to wear approved protective
headgear, this is permitted.
National colours may only be used on collars of athletes’ jackets and must be
registered with the FEI in accordance with the General Regulations.
2. Military, Police, etc. may wear civil or service dress at all international
events. Service dress does not only apply to Members of the Armed Forces and
Police, but also to members and employees/students of Military Establishments
and National Studs /schools/institutes.

USEF:
2. For all tests above Fourth Level, the dress code is: a dark tailcoat with top hat, or a dark
jacket with a bowler hat or hunt cap, and white or light colored breeches, stock or tie, gloves,
and black riding boots. Spurs are mandatory for FEI tests

Tail coats are the only coat with the exception of military, for FEI classes.

jcotton
Oct. 11, 2009, 07:51 AM
Reading your rulebook might be a great activity.

slc2
Oct. 11, 2009, 07:56 AM
Surely, even when I do go and read the rules I am forgetful. In the past I have been told that one can wear short coat in fei national classes - i just read janine malone's summary of dressage clothing written in 04 and it doesn't say anything about it.

Maude
Oct. 11, 2009, 08:26 AM
Maybe some people think of the new short jacket with tail-ettes (can't remember the name, but it is in Dressage Extensions) as a shadbelly? It has mini tails and the coat itself comes to the waist. IMHO, it looks more like a jacket you would wear as a cadet or for an exhibition, but to each her own.

slc2
Oct. 11, 2009, 08:31 AM
I wasn't, I just didn't remember the rule.

nomeolvides
Oct. 11, 2009, 08:47 AM
Maybe some people think of the new short jacket with tail-ettes (can't remember the name, but it is in Dressage Extensions) as a shadbelly? It has mini tails and the coat itself comes to the waist. IMHO, it looks more like a jacket you would wear as a cadet or for an exhibition, but to each her own.
Ahh, this jacket. (http://www.panache-equestrian.co.uk/Cavallo%20Ganimedes.jpg) Anybody seen anyone compete in one of these?

Pony Fixer
Oct. 11, 2009, 09:01 AM
My friend has one (the Ganimedes "short shad")--looks FABULOUS on the right body.

I just got a custom Grand Prix tail coat through Euro American. Black with a blue pinstripe, and blue points with yellow koi on them. It's yummy. Too bad I just sold the 4th level horse and bought a 5 year old. :lol:

Coreene
Oct. 11, 2009, 10:35 AM
I saw one of those coats this summer at an all-breed show; hadn't seen one for ages before, but then did see a lot of other, ah, interesting combos as well. Gal did not have the figure for it. Rather Ringling Bros., those coats.

yaya
Oct. 11, 2009, 10:42 AM
Tail coats are the only coat with the exception of military, for FEI classes.

Did you read the rules you quoted? BOTH say a short jacket is allowed.

FEI
At all CDI1*/CDI2*, a black or dark blue jacket (colours see above) with a bowler hat or hunting cap is also permitted. This dress is also desirable for all other international dressage events, unless otherwise stated in any special rules (CDIY, CDIJ, CDIP, CDI-Ch).

USEF:
2. For all tests above Fourth Level, the dress code is: a dark tailcoat with top hat, or a dark jacket with a bowler hat or hunt cap, and white or light colored breeches, stock or tie, gloves, and black riding boots. Spurs are mandatory for FEI tests

TheHorseProblem
Oct. 11, 2009, 10:50 AM
Did you see my 2 footed half-pass? I move like Tortilas!

You move like Tortilas? Would that be a flat movement?;)

slc2
Oct. 11, 2009, 11:01 AM
OK, so it IS allowed. That's good. Anything to give a choice that cuts the cost of showing is good. Isn't there still somewhere in the rules that says that if you wear crash helmet at FEI, it has to be worn with a short coat as well?

I thought the statement at the bottom of the post was a quote from the rules, it's just a statement from the poster.

Haven't had time to go thru the rules yet myself, have a skunk under the deck to deal with first.

pintopiaffe
Oct. 11, 2009, 11:51 AM
Shoot... rereading that rule, does that mean I can NOT wear my class A Mounted Police duds? (I'm reading it to mean *only* at Internat'l comps?)

I thought I could. I was going to get a good dress blouse for it. Anything to wear black breeks. :sigh:

yaya
Oct. 11, 2009, 01:36 PM
As mentioned above, people really should read the USEF rules for themselves instead of just guessing at what is/isn't allowed.

Here's the actual USEF rule (the part about dress, not whips or spurs).

Pintopiaffe, see DR120.3 about your uniform. There's also rule DR120.6 that says if coats are waived, military can wear their summer uniform.

DR120 Dress
1. The dress code for Training through Fourth Levels is a short riding coat of conservative color, with tie, choker or stock tie, white or light-colored breeches or jodhpurs, boots or jodhpur boots, a hunt cap or riding hat with a hard shell, derby or top hat. A cutaway coat (modified tailcoat) with short tails is permitted. Half chaps, gaiters and/or leggings are not allowed.Gloves of conservative color are recommended. Exception: Riders through First Level may wear half-chaps, gaiters or leggings in solid black or brown, without fringe, matching the color of their boots, and made of smooth leather or leather-like material. The dress code for the FEI Junior Tests, FEI Dressage Tests for 4, 5, and 6-year-old horses and the USEF test for 4 year old horses is a short riding coat of conservative color, with stock or tie, breeches, hunt cap or riding hat with a hard shell, derby or top hat. A dark tailcoat is also permitted for the FEI Junior Tests. The dress code for FEI Pony Riders is dark coat or club uniform coat, breeches or jodhpurs, white shirt with tie or hunting stock, gloves, boots and hunting cap; top hat or bowler not allowed. Spurs are optional for all of the FEI Pony and Junior Tests, FEI Dressage Tests for 4, 5, and 6-year-old horses and the USEF test for 4-year old horses. (See DR120.8) BOD 1/13/08 Effective 12/1/08 EC 10/20/08 Effective immediately
2. For all tests above Fourth Level, the dress code is: a dark tailcoat with top hat, or a dark jacket with a bowler hat or hunt cap, and white or light colored breeches, stock or tie, gloves, and black riding boots. Spurs are mandatory for FEI tests (except as noted above under DR120.1. (See DR120.8)
3. Members of the Armed Services and police units may ride in the uniform of their service at any level. Riders choosing to wear Armed Services or police uniform must wear the appropriate military/police cap or hat for their branch of service, or protective headgear.
4. Riders at all levels of competition must wear one of the following: A hunt cap or riding hat with a hard shell, derby or top hat, military/police cap or hat, or protective headgear. Any exhibitor may wear protective headgear at any level of competition without penalty from the judge. Exhibitors choosing to wear protective headgear must wear a short, dark jacket, dark tail coat (only permitted for tests above Fourth Level), or Armed Services or police uniform (if eligible), dark hatcovers (where applicable) and must otherwise conform to DR120 (see GR801).

slc2
Oct. 11, 2009, 01:47 PM
I've seen people wearing military uniforms and in one case a military school uniform, at recognized shows...the rule seems to allow for at least some military uniforms. Klaus Balkenhol always showed Goldstern wearing a green police uniform.

JRG
Oct. 11, 2009, 06:40 PM
Surely, even when I do go and read the rules I am forgetful. In the past I have been told that one can wear short coat in fei national classes - i just read janine malone's summary of dressage clothing written in 04 and it doesn't say anything about it.

We are all forgetful. I have read the rule book more times then I can shake a stick at but I miss things, forget things. I am surely not perfect. This is one of those cases. We are all human. I even had the thing if front of me!

joiedevie99
Oct. 11, 2009, 08:11 PM
You most definitely can wear your helmet with either jacket or tailcoat at FEI. It's in Rule 4 above.

slc2
Oct. 11, 2009, 08:23 PM
Ok so that's a little different than what I thought, but still, that's a good rule too.

egontoast
Oct. 12, 2009, 06:09 AM
Klaus Balkenhol always showed Goldstern wearing a green police uniform.

Anyone have pics of Goldstern wearing his uniform?

slc2
Oct. 12, 2009, 06:58 AM
as close as i could get:

http://marketplaceadvisor.channeladvisor.com/hi/63/62689/cc-cost-k9cop.jpg

egontoast
Oct. 12, 2009, 09:23 AM
cute:cool: