PDA

View Full Version : Moravian College Equestrian Team

JumperRL
Oct. 9, 2009, 12:09 AM
I am a Junior in high school and have started my college search. I really want to go to Moravian since it's close to home (i'm from Phillipsburg, NJ) and they have an excellent nursing program. Does anyone know if they still have an equestrian team? I would really like to go to a school with an equestrian team. My riding instructor (who knows very little about college equestrian teams) says that I might be over qualified to ride with the team. I show in the Junior Hunters (3'6) at AA shows and go to Florida in the winter, and am doing very good this year:D Even if i'm over qualified, I would still like to go to a school with an equestrian team, since it's a good way to make new friends:) Any information would be greatly appreciated:winkgrin:

Addison
Oct. 9, 2009, 11:08 AM
Check the college website under club sports.

There are plenty of junior/big eq riders that show at the IHSA level so I doubt that you will be overqualified. Most of them are students that are not planning to "do horses" when they finish school but are still interested in riding.

I am glad you are doing well this year and wish you good luck with your college search.

theblondejumper
Oct. 9, 2009, 12:24 PM
Hey I go to Moravian!! So random to see anything about MoCo on here. PM me for anything you wanna know!!

Lissa
Oct. 9, 2009, 01:26 PM
It is suprising to see Moravian on COTH! I went there and graduated in '97. I was on the Equestrian team my freshman and first half of sophmore year. There were about 4 people on my freshman year. Myself and another girl qualified for nationals and went out to Texas A&M to represent the team. We could not get any "compensation" or even a banner to walk in the parade of teams at Nationals. My sophmore year we had to hold a horse show. By this time there are really only 2 people on the team. I put together the show by myself and enlisted the help of my family to hold horses and do various tasks at the show. The school was really no help with the team (or club.) At the time I had my A/O jumper so I just stopped riding on the team and showed him at regular "A" shows.

That was years ago, so I don't know if there is more interest in the Equestrian team now. I hope there is. That being said I had a great time at Moravian. I was there all 4 years and had a blast and made really good friends. I still rode and showed my horse so I wasn't missing anything with the horses.

If you have any other questions please feel free to pm or email me.

Lissa

www.hiddensunfarm.com

Renn/aissance
Oct. 9, 2009, 11:53 PM
My riding instructor (who knows very little about college equestrian teams) says that I might be over qualified to ride with the team. I show in the Junior Hunters (3'6) at AA shows and go to Florida in the winter, and am doing very good this year

Kels Bonham won the Medal last year and is representing SCAD at IHSA and ANRC. I don't think you're overqualified at all. ;) Good luck with your college search!

Be True Blue
Oct. 10, 2009, 03:56 PM
Yes they do!!!
The barn where the equestrian team trains at is my barn!!! The instructor is very sweet and has tons of experience!! The barn is called Blue Valley Riding Center in Pen Argyl, P.A.

theblondejumper
Oct. 11, 2009, 10:52 PM
[QUOTE=Lissa;4428097]Myself and another girl qualified for nationals and went out to Texas A&M to represent the team. We could not get any "compensation" or even a banner to walk in the parade of teams at Nationals...The school was really no help with the team (or club.)

Wow! You represented Moravian at Nationals...that's amazing! Congrats. I go to Moravian, but I'm not part of the team (I own and show my own horse in the rated hunters). I know people who are on the team and say that Moravian gives them very little support...that's Moravian for ya! It's still a good school though!

Yea I'm still blown away that a Moravian went to Nationals. Very cool. (haha whoever this is I bet we know each other? lol)

avec_love
Oct. 11, 2009, 10:57 PM
I can't say much about the team as I don't really know anything about it - however, don't assume that you're overqualified ;) there are plenty of big eq riders that move on to compete in the IHSA. I believe Brianne Goutal is on the Brown's IHSA team right now and Beezie Madden herself won the Cacchione Cup when she was in college. =) Just my two cents!

Lissa
Oct. 13, 2009, 02:22 PM
Yes, believe it or not Moravian went to nationals! I'm Melissa Earle (now Ginsberg) and the girl I went with is Terry Stephens. I qualified in the open o/f and Terry qualified in the open flat. Terry won her class. I wanted to qualify for the flat but I felt I got robbed in the regionals! ;-) I finished up 7th in the open o/f.

Terry and I rode together with Frank and Stacia out of Beacon Hill for the Equitation Finals. Terry was the one who got me to look at Moravian in the first place. Even though I stopped with the equestrian team, I had such a good time at Moravian.

I'm glad to see that they have an equestrian team again! I wish you all the best of luck!!

Lissa
www.hiddensunfarm.com