PDA

View Full Version : Silly question, dressage test errors...

spacehorse
Oct. 8, 2009, 09:46 PM
Ok, so say you blow a lead during your test (can you tell I am thinking about this much??).

Do I- A. Try to fix it immediately
B. Circle and attempt it again from the original location
C. Pretend it was fine and carry on

And if you happen to make an error of course, what is the course of action? The thought of getting a bell rung at me (especially more than once) is nauseating...:lol:

Thanks everybody!

PnkPanthr
Oct. 8, 2009, 09:51 PM
Fix it immediately. The worse thing to do is wait, because then the judge thinks you have no idea that you are on the wrong lead. I scribed for an instant like that once.

nextyear
Oct. 8, 2009, 09:57 PM
Fix it as smooth as possible if you ignore it and do not fix lead it will result in a not performed mark and circle is not good either. I can not think of anyone that has not had something go wrong during your test. Taking a wrong lead is different than forgeting the test though, if you blow the lead and fix it will be a lower mark but if you forget the test it will be a error with a -2 for first error.

Janet
Oct. 8, 2009, 10:09 PM
Ok, so say you blow a lead during your test (can you tell I am thinking about this much??).

Do I- A. Try to fix it immediately
This is the best option. You may get a bad score for that movement, but it won't carry over to the next movement

B. Circle and attempt it again from the original location BAD idea. Your " extra circle" will be treated as an error (-2 pts) and may get the whistle blown at you.

C. Pretend it was fine and carry on Worse idea. You will be penalized in every movement for being on the wrong lead. As a scorer, i HAVE seen "0" given for the wrong lead, not corrected. I have never seen a "0" for a wrong lead that was corrected.

And if you happen to make an error of course, what is the course of action?
In most cases, the judge will blow the whistle (or ring the bell), tell you the error, and tell you where to restart.

The thought of getting a bell rung at me (especially more than once) is nauseating...:lol:

Thanks everybody!

Andrea_W
Oct. 9, 2009, 10:50 AM
Fix it immediately and smoothly - and after the test, remember that those things happen to everyone, so you're not alone!:)

Sudi's Girl
Oct. 9, 2009, 11:03 AM
Just rode a in a "ride-a-test" dressage clinic, and that was definitely one of my questions. All of your advice so far is correct according to the judge who did my clinic.

However, she said if you pick up the wrong lead and then correct, the best score you're looking at is 4. If you sit there and pretend it's not happening, then the score just drops from there...potentially down to a zero... :)

Hilary
Oct. 9, 2009, 11:19 AM
However, she said if you pick up the wrong lead and then correct, the best score you're looking at is 4. If you sit there and pretend it's not happening, then the score just drops from there...potentially down to a zero... :)

I think that would be when the score is for just the transition, but lots of the lower level test combine the transition with the circle or at least some of the canter work.

I have blown leads and recieved a 5 when the transtion and the next movement were scored as one.

And sometimes the judge happens to sneeze and misses it entirely, so yes, the best option is to fix it as quickly and smoothly as possible.

Sudi's Girl
Oct. 9, 2009, 11:23 AM
I think that would be when the score is for just the transition, but lots of the lower level test combine the transition with the circle or at least some of the canter work.

I have blown leads and recieved a 5 when the transtion and the next movement were scored as one.

And sometimes the judge happens to sneeze and misses it entirely, so yes, the best option is to fix it as quickly and smoothly as possible.

That sounds correct.:)

Highflyer
Oct. 9, 2009, 07:11 PM
It's almost worse when you make an error and they don't whistle you! A couple of weeks ago, I started to ride Training A. Went up the center line, turned left, started to ride the 15 meter circle, realized I was supposed to be doing B, which starts to the right, looked at the judge--nothing. So I ended up riding Training B, BACKWARDS. I am massively dyslexic as it is. That was hard. My poor horse--he must think I'm crazy! :lol:

spacehorse
Oct. 9, 2009, 09:25 PM
Thanks to everybody! Here is to hoping I don't actually NEED the advice...;)

pday09
Oct. 10, 2009, 06:29 AM
Just do a change of lead, simple or flying, whatever will look the smoothest. Don't get frazzled, and finish whatever movement you're doing. If you have to do the downwards transition at E, say, and you're still on the wrong lead as you're finishing your circle, just go with it and make the trot work an 8. Because if you repeat a movement, you will end up with a 4 (or so) for your wrong lead and a -2 for the error of repeating a movement, because you're considered "off course." Basically, if something like a wrong lead happens to you, put it behind you and try to make the next movements even better.

Janet
Oct. 10, 2009, 10:59 AM
It also depends on what your objecitve is.

if you are loking to get the best score- yes, fix it ASAp but do not "redo" anything.

On the other hand, there may be cases when it makes sens to "blow" the test score in order to further the training of the horse. You might decide that a "do over", even though it will hurt your score, is what the HORSE needes.

Just Walter
Oct. 10, 2009, 11:17 AM
At championships I had an error of course (forgot a trot circle) the judge told me "just do the first trot circle and transition into the second. So she will tell you where to start.
Secondly I had a lovely transition to my right lead canter, but the horse stumbled and almost fell then corrected himself but picked up the wrong lead. I corrected TACTFULLY and patiently ASAP and finished my test fully expecting to get a terrible score. I mean seriously what rotten luck!

I ended up with a 24.7% our best scoring test EVER!!! I was thrilled and it just goes to prove that you can have rotten moments but remember that EACH and EVERY movement is scored seperately so keep your cool and nail every other movement.