PDA

View Full Version : Passport Saddle by Toklat

Mee
Oct. 8, 2009, 02:23 PM
Have any of you ever heard of the Passport Saddle by Toklat? If so, what can you tell me about them.

Smiles, Mee

flyracing
Oct. 8, 2009, 09:24 PM
No, I had used their "passport" saddle pads and know they also have girths and bridles in the line. So is the next step a saddle??? I kinda doubt it. Toklat would be doing a lot of advertising to sucessfully launch a saddle line. What makes you ask?

superpony123
Oct. 8, 2009, 10:38 PM
i googled "toklat passport saddle" ... and this thread came up first ;):lol:

the rest of the results said saddle pad. there appears to be no saddle! (i can't imagine toklat going into saddles anyway)

Mee
Oct. 9, 2009, 02:14 AM
Apparently, Toklat sold the Passport saddle at least 10 years ago, but I do not know of any stores such as Dover Saddlery that represented them. I called Dover and they never represented the saddle. I called Toklat and they acknowledged having them manufactured, but couldn't tell me any information about the saddle because they didn't have catalogs that went back farther than 10 years. I was just hoping some people on this forum might have run across the saddle over the years and would offer an opinion.

Smiles, Mee

flyracing
Oct. 9, 2009, 12:48 PM
So, have are you looking at buying one (as in you've actually seen it)? If thats the case I would take it to a really knowledgeble friend or trainer or saddle fitter and have them evaluate the saddle for quality/value (compared to the asking price)/durability. Then you need your educated person to evaluate the saddle on your horse's back and how it affects your position. Honestly, even if people had heard of them, no one on the internet is going to be able to tell you how the saddle works for you and your horse.

Good Luck

Min_Deore
Dec. 29, 2010, 08:32 PM
I know this is an old post, but it popped up in my research today and since I happen to own one of these I thought I'd chip in if anyone is still curious.

I found mine at a local tack shop about 5 or 6 years ago. Its a Close Contact but I believe the shop had it listed as an All Purpose. It retailed for about $875 and by the time I found it they'd marked it down by about half. My old research turned up a few ads for these saddles, mostly I saw them advertising a light almost honey colored option. Mine is a dark havana with white contrast stitching which I was told was an unplanned manufacturing mistake. Even then there wasn't much info on them.

The leather quality isn't ideal. Its always been on the stiff side, even with near obsessive conditioning. The design has nice clean lines with a padded slightly forward flap, knee rolls and leg blocks. The seat doesn't offer a lot of security, and as far as comfort goes, after a long day I'd give it a 6 or 7.

Overall its been a pretty decent saddle for what I paid. It got me through the days of my fabulous rotten pony and later starting my TB. Unfortunately my riding style has out grown it and I need a true All Purpose. Part of me says hold on to it since it was my first saddle purchase, but I think I'm putting it up for sale in a few months.

Here's a few pics of it on my TB:
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f56/Min_Deore/DSCF0450.jpg
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f56/Min_Deore/DSCF0452.jpg
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f56/Min_Deore/DSCF0460.jpg