PDA

View Full Version : Sidesaddle instruction in/near Hampton, VA

JumpWithPanache
Oct. 8, 2009, 02:03 PM
Not sure if this is the right forum to ask, but does anyone know of folks who ride/teach sidesaddle in the Hampton Roads area? I've been itching to try it, but certainly wouldn't want to buy a saddle and do it all on my own. If there are no instructors, how about clinics that might be coming this way? Thanks for any info!

TheOneandOnly
Oct. 8, 2009, 08:36 PM
Joclyn Dayus and Davera Ackenbaum both come to mind for me. They are in the spotsylvania area. I took a group lesson with Joclyn a while back and loved it. She was great at helping visualize and was LOUD. Hah... A fellow rider has ridden a few times with Davera and got her butt kicked.. Needless to say she's an amazing rider now.

I don't know any details, horse lending, saddle lending wise. Joclyn traveled to us near Charlottesville but we also had a large group together and had our own horses and saddles. I don't have numbers for them but you can easily google them and find a contact.

Good luck! Its so fun!

equusaside
Oct. 11, 2009, 11:58 AM
ISSO lists a number of instructors in VA:
http://sidesaddle.com/instructors/j_i.shtml#V (scroll down to VA)

Not sure who has a horse and/or saddle you can just, best thing is to ask them directly!

JumpWithPanache
Oct. 12, 2009, 09:52 AM
Thanks for the info. Unfortunately none of the instructors listed on the ISSO are even remotely close to me.

shoutten
Mar. 8, 2010, 06:57 PM
Davera recently moved and is in Locust Grove. According to her website she still teaches sidesaddle and has equipment for people to learn on. You can check it out here www.foxwhisperfarm.com Hope that helps! I've always thought sidesaddle was so classy!

Equinoxfox
Mar. 9, 2010, 09:48 AM
I am orginally from that area . To my knowledge there is no one that teaches Sidesaddle there.
You may have to travel a bit to get good instruction. ;)
Best of luck .