PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here ride in a Prestige Eventing saddle?

clivers
Oct. 8, 2009, 01:22 PM
I'd love to hear your opinions on how they fit and what they're like to ride in.
I'm talking about the model that has the velcro blocks...
Thanks in advance :)

bornfreenowexpensive
Oct. 8, 2009, 01:32 PM
I'd love to hear your opinions on how they fit and what they're like to ride in.
I'm talking about the model that has the velcro blocks...
Thanks in advance :)

I know several people that love them. I had one a few years ago...it was ok...I wasn't in love but didn't hate it either. Pretty slick leather...but I'm sure it breaks in fine....I've just gotten spoiled with buffalo leather lately;). I think that they have a new softer leather choice available now. The twist is on the wider side. Balance was ok. Beautiful looking...nice quality. It wasn't quite forward enough in the flaps to fit my leg...even though I got a larger saddle with fwd flaps.

I think that I like the balance and feel of Nona Garson one more...but again, flaps didn't fit my leg....but would work for most people I bet. (I'm 5'9" with a pretty long leg, esp. long thigh)

EventingChase
Oct. 8, 2009, 01:38 PM
I have one! I love mine. It is a Prestige Eventing with some modifications that suit me. It has log billets and a short (I'm 5'1'') extra forward flap that I love. I always had a hard time getting leg short enough without going over the flap and this fixes that problem. I sat in this saddle and took one canter around the ring and knew it was for me. The balance and support were perfect.

Hilary
Oct. 8, 2009, 01:44 PM
I have one that I love - for stadium. And conditioning/hacking. It's super comfortable, and fits my horse beautifully.

However, she requires that I ride XC sitting WAYYYY BACK and it doesn't allow me to do that. So I got an Ainsley Chester. My friend is currently borrowing the Prestige and loves it because her mare does not want her in the back seat.

We tend to compete at the same events and quick-switch so I can use it for stadium and she uses it for both phases.

It's held up like iron too, despite the several seasons of competing only in the rain. Very cushy seat - you can ride for hours and not have sore seat bones the next day.

For the first 5 years I left the blocks in, then took them out and voila, had a really nice close contact jump saddle.

Sudi's Girl
Oct. 8, 2009, 01:54 PM
I have one!!! :) I loff it!!!

I have a hard to fit Arab, and my saddle (a 34/35 tree I believe) fits him beautifully. :) He also has a HUGE "jump you out of the tack" jump, and I feel very secure & balanced in it.

It does tend to be on the slippery side - but I just wear full seat breeches with it, and I'm usually fine. It's not a very comfy/padded saddle, and unlike BFNE, I find the twist to be a bit narrow (which I like).

I'm 5'4" with a long femur, and it's a close fit (the 17/17.5" size), but it definitely works for me on both stadium and XC (although I'm not going higher than BN at the moment). I do, however, ride in pretty short stirrups.

I'm eventually going to put long billets on it, but even without, I still really love it. :)

If you can try one, I think that's best!

bornfreenowexpensive
Oct. 8, 2009, 02:07 PM
It's not a very comfy/padded saddle, and unlike BFNE, I find the twist to be a bit narrow (which I like).

LOL...I usually prefer really narrow twists...so that could be why it felt wider to me. I just got an Antares jumping saddle (used)....and it is the first one with a wider twist that I still found comfortable.

Sudi's Girl
Oct. 8, 2009, 02:11 PM
LOL...I usually prefer really narrow twists...so that could be why it felt wider to me. I just got an Antares jumping saddle (used)....and it is the first one with a wider twist that I still found comfortable.

Well you know - my perception may very well be skewed! :D This is the narrowest twist I've ever owned... ;)

AUeventer
Oct. 8, 2009, 02:51 PM
Love mine! The flap leather may be slick, but the knee rolls and seat are sticky to me. I've never had a problem slipping around. My only complaints are that it does show a lot of wear, which I'm not sure would be different than any other saddle. I got it in spring of 07 riding one horse ~6 days a week, then this spring I rode in it for 7 months riding between 4 and 7 horses a day 4 to 5 days a week. You can definitely see the wear in it from that use. The color changed under the leg and my billets have stretched. You know how sometimes if you put the girth in the same hole on both billets, one of them looks tighter than the other? I would always do one hole up higher to counteract this and now that particular billet strap is really stretched out. I don't recommend doing that! I would definitely buy another one though. Sure, I'd love a devoucoux, but I think this is the next best thing and you can't beat the price.

forestergirl99
Oct. 8, 2009, 06:04 PM
ME ME ME!!!! :lol: I LOVE it!!! My horse LOVES it!! It is such a nice saddle. Super comfy, and it really makes you feel secure. I was riding my horse one time, and he slipped and bolted and I lost both of my stirrups, but I didn't feel insecure at all. It really sucks you in and helps keep your position while still letting you move freely. My horse is a greenie, and he tends to really over jump new fences(like makes 2ft jumps 4'3 jumps. :winkgrin:), but this saddle helps me stay with him easily. Also, I don't know if you know this or not, but it comes with 2 different knee blocks. Larger ones and smaller ones. I find this REALLY handy. BTW, if you ever condition it with Passier Leaderbalsam it will squeak like an annoying little brat. However, the leather gets super tacky. Trust me. Your a$$ won't be going anywhere!! hahaha

As for fit, it fits me really well. I'm 5'7 with a tall upper body. My legs are pretty short and stumpy. hahaha. The flap on this saddle is really forward, and since I have long thighs this was a must. It only comes in a 16", 17", and 18". 16" fits like a 17". 17" fits like a 17.5", and 18" fits like an 18".

As for my horse. Oh. My. God. This saddle was like a miracle for him. He is an Appendix that is built like a TB. He has the big withers and his chest is slightly narrow. Not really narrow enough for a narrow, but too wide for a Medium. So I got him the Medium Narrow(32cm). PERFECT!!! His transitions where immediately more relaxed and less bracing, and he was just a lot calmer in general. This is a horse that is a wuss about pain and gets back pain at the drop of a hat. So that means a lot coming from him. :lol:

I highly recommend this saddle. BTW, I've heard that the smooth leather can be slippery. So you might want to steer away from that. I haven't found that mine has shown wear too badly. i've had it for 3 months, and i ride 3-4 times a week. There are virtually no marks from my leathers. I do have the prestige leathers though, and they are super soft. If you get this saddle from VTO Saddlery you can get the leathers for free.

carolinagirl191
Oct. 8, 2009, 09:57 PM
I love, love, love mine.
I agree w/ the "stick -um" posts. My guy is a capable Prelim horse with all the potential in the world to go Advanced if I don't mess things up. He still throws in a little extra ump now and again over stadium fences. In a recent lesson the course was a vertical with 9 or 10 strides to a square oxer, roll back turn to the left . . . I was a bit week to the vertical and remained so to the oxer (Dying in beauty is my coaches term for this). He saw the back rail and hit the scope button, skied over the tops of the standards, I stayed squarely in the middle though my lower leg did not, landed a bit heavy, totally in the knee rolls with me ever thankful for my fab Prestige Eventer.
It does show wear, but I'm putting a lot of hours on it and for me that's a bit like a faded hunt cap. I prefer broken in the shiny and new. As a matter of fact spent 4 and 1/2 in it this am fox hunting.

cbsh13
Oct. 9, 2009, 03:58 AM
I have one and I love it! I bought mine at rolex this year...the reps came out to my farm and everything so I could try it on my horse. It had to be adjusted to a 33 so they took it and sent it back to me within a week free of charge. It cost more than my OTTB did but totally worth it! Mine is the newer version, darker brown leather, with "pimply" leather on the flaps. I didn't find the flaps to be slick at all even before it was broken in. It has the velcro knee and thigh rolls and even came with different sizes so you can switch them out. I got my Prestige Eventer and then EventingChase just HAD to get hers after that...darn sisters, such copy cats!!

LisaB
Oct. 9, 2009, 07:13 AM
LOVE mine! And it's not slick - I just condition it :D

tbeventer
Oct. 9, 2009, 07:55 AM
I have one and love, love, love it! I couldn't find anything to fit my shark fin TB gelding and I was able to try one, and it's his new favorite saddle, so I had to buy it! Personally, I prefer a monoflap, like my Amerigo, but the saddle is secure over fences. They tend to run a half size large, so my 18" Amerigo is a bit large on me, but the 17" Prestige fits like a glove. I'm 5'9 and long knee to hip and even with a regular flap, I am fine in the Prestige and I ride with my stirrups pretty short XC. It encourages a correct leg position and I don't feel inhibited over the big fences and galloping. I love that the knee and thigh blocks are removable/adjustable. Great saddle and if you can find one used, it's nice to have it broken in already!

Saint's Partner
Oct. 9, 2009, 08:53 AM
I had a saddler out with 15 different saddles. About 2/3 were eliminated based on fitting the horse; rode in the remainder, and magic happened with the Eventer - I felt as though the saddle disappeared, and I just rode well. If you love a saddle that looks brand new forever, know that the finish on my has rubbed off. I refuse to use the calfskin/nylon leathers that are so soft on the outside (they bother my knees and hips), and so my Eventer shows some wear. I've never put the back blocks in, because the saddle just put my leg in such a correct position. And it's fit all sorts of different horses, from the shark withered TB's, Appendix quarter, and plump sport ponies, without the tree being re-set.

purplnurpl
Oct. 9, 2009, 09:37 AM
checky your PMies.

Bobthehorse
Oct. 9, 2009, 10:39 AM
I have one, I love it. I hate narrow twists, I have wide seatbones and in most saddles they are right on the seams, and thats not cool. I find its forward enough for me to get some pretty short stirrups in for Prelim, and for galloping I hike them up another 2 holes because Im a glutton for torture I guess. My horse was not an easy fit, he is a wide with big hulking shoulder and high withers, and this fits him like a dream. It has an amazing balance, all Prestiges seem to, my friend has an old shattered ankle that used to prevent her from jumping, but since getting a Prestige she is pain free. And I dont find it tilts you forward, I ride in a pretty deep back seat, and never find it hinders my inclination to do so.

I wish id gotten the long billets, I think Ill get mine changed. The saddle itself is quite low profile, but the girth under my leg is starting to bug me. And, when I got mine, they only came in 2 colours, black and tobacco, but it seems now they have them in havana. Also the leather options, I got the smooth, but I wish id gotten the textured. Not that I find it slippery at all, the balance is so good I dont need to grip to keep my leg in place, it just does. But the smooth doesnt take oil well as its coated for durability, so it wont darken.

Bobthehorse
Oct. 9, 2009, 10:40 AM
How close are you to Bakers? He has lots of Prestige saddles to try.