PDA

View Full Version : Your racing "bucket list"?

Glimmerglass
Oct. 8, 2009, 11:10 AM
I presume most people know the concept behind a "bucket list" - before you kick the proverbial bucket (die) there are things you want to see or do - and this recent comment (http://drf.com/news/article/107874.html) by trainer Kenny McPeak got me thinking:

McPeek went on a three-day tour of French racing, including a day at Longchamp for the Prix de l'Arc de Triomphe, won by the phenomenal Sea the Stars.

"The entire weekend was an absolutely incredible experience," said McPeek. "I got to see the Aga Khan's yard, and I saw Chantilly and Saint Cloud. Racing in France is very, very impressive. I've been to a lot of places overseas, but this was awesome. It was on my bucket list, and I was very happy I had a chance to scratch it off."

So what remains on your bucket list for racing - things to see or do? What have you happily crossed off? Anything that was on your list and crossed off but not as good as expected?

DickHertz
Oct. 8, 2009, 11:18 AM
I would like to be buried in the paddock at Monmouth Park.

Pronzini
Oct. 8, 2009, 11:22 AM
I'd like to win a race that doesn't have a price tag attached to it.

Pat Ness
Oct. 8, 2009, 11:30 AM
I would like to train my own horses for racing.

DickHertz
Oct. 8, 2009, 11:34 AM
I would like to train my own horses for racing.

Trust me, no you don't.

Pat Ness
Oct. 8, 2009, 11:43 AM
I am pretty fed up with trainers and maybe I need to walk in their shoes for a while.

I am curious if horses can race without $400 - $600 of prerace meds. I am not talking about Adequan type bills either. Our horses at our request had the loading dose and then the maintenance and this was not a part of the bill.

Yep - It's on my bucket list - but I am not leaving my day job any time soon so it won't be for a while yet...

texang73
Oct. 8, 2009, 11:58 AM
Go to Saratoga to watch the races.

Attend a Palio.

Attend the Cheltenham Festival.

Attend that crazy steeplechase race in the Czech Republic http://www.vpcp.cz/fotogalerie.php

Barnfairy
Oct. 8, 2009, 12:45 PM
Things I've done:

Saratoga! Like racing mecca. Everything I expected and more.

Breakfast & morning works at Keeneland. It really is a palace.

Racing at Churchill. Loved it, but felt a bit like a country mouse in NYC. It was hard to find a decent place to sit down! Even on a plain old weekday. Seeing the twin spires in person was like walking on hallowed ground.

Paid homage to Seattle Slew at his burial site memorial.

Visited favorites El Prado, John Henry, and Cryptoclearance before it was too late.

Visited Victory Gallop before he left the country.

Visited Dynaformer and lived to tell about it.

Fair circuit racing at Northampton and Marshfield. I don't miss it.

Rockingham Park. It's dying. Makes me sad. Maybe it's necessary.

Taken in the races at Suffolk Downs from the roof -- it never gets old. Feels like home there.

Things to do:

See Rachel in person, on the track or off.

Meet Medaglia D'Oro.

Have some hot chocolate at Keeneland.

Still lots of tracks I've yet to visit, especially Belmont, Aqueduct, Monmouth. I'd like to get to Santa Anita someday. I think. Oh, and Arlington too. And the Florida scene.

I'd like to get more involved in lay-up and rehab. (Does that count?) That would probably require relocating. We'll see.

Oh, and visit the most awesome place in the world, Chester, WV, and see the teapot. Can't forget that.

Las Olas
Oct. 8, 2009, 01:42 PM
Oh, and visit the most awesome place in the world, Chester, WV, and see the teapot. Can't forget that.

Hey, me too! Maybe we can put a group racing vacation together. :D

JER
Oct. 8, 2009, 04:22 PM
The Arc.

Grand National.

(And the Cheltenham Festival is highly, highly recommended to anyone with a racing bucket list.)

danceronice
Oct. 8, 2009, 04:50 PM
Attend all three Triple Crown races in one year.

Own racing horses (or at least have enough money to do it.)

Gallop on a track once.

texang73
Oct. 8, 2009, 04:52 PM
So, you started this Glimmer... what is YOUR bucket list? :cool:

foundationmare
Oct. 8, 2009, 06:09 PM
1. Get my beautiful yearling filly to the races and have her win first time out (I have scripted the stretch run many times and it always concludes with "And Jolly's First Flight is drawing away from the field and, at the 1/8th pole has 10 increasing lengths, now 12 and, as she crosses the wire, Jolly's First Flight turns in an impressive effort in her debut".).

2. Take her to Saratoga!

3. Live in Saratoga and work in the office during the race meet.

4. Attend the Derby. Preferably in VIP company!

ThisTooShallPass
Oct. 8, 2009, 06:46 PM
For those that do not know what it is:

http://www.initaly.com/info/palio/palio.htm

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=palio&search_type=&aq=f

lily04
Oct. 8, 2009, 07:02 PM
I would like to be buried in the paddock at Monmouth Park.

I was once buried in the paddock at Delaware Park. :lol:

Linny
Oct. 8, 2009, 08:32 PM
I was buried a couple of times at Saratoga this summer, and drowned too!:lol:

Blinkers On
Oct. 8, 2009, 11:38 PM
Trust me, no you don't.

LMAO..

Blinkers On
Oct. 8, 2009, 11:42 PM
Part of my list is to take a cast off horse and rehab and get it to win. I don't care if the win happens at SA, GGF, PM or Turf Paradise, just a win. That will be a gigantic victory!

Laurierace
Oct. 9, 2009, 10:08 AM
Part of my list is to take a cast off horse and rehab and get it to win. I don't care if the win happens at SA, GGF, PM or Turf Paradise, just a win. That will be a gigantic victory!

You would have loved Sylvester then. I got him for free off a two year layoff and earned $180,000 racing over the next six years. I claimed him back four times, each time for less than I lost him for. I guess I should have retired right then because that is going to be tough to top.

DLee
Oct. 9, 2009, 10:30 AM
The Derby. In a really good seat. :yes:

Laurierace
Oct. 9, 2009, 12:52 PM
We are going to the Derby this year. I wanted to wait until I had a horse running in it but decided that wasn't very likely to ever happen so we are slumming it in the infield.

Sing Mia Song
Oct. 9, 2009, 02:35 PM
Things I've done:

Spent many an August at Saratoga. There's no better place.

Spent a week at Santa Anita, and I'd love to go back.

Saw Kelso, Forego and John Henry at the Jockey Club Gold Cup (right before Kelso died).

Saw John Henry again ~25 years later at the KHP.

Saw Slew O' Gold as a 3 year-old at Saratoga, and again at Three Chimneys the year before he died.

Fed Rahy, Cigar and Afleet Alex peppermints.

Things I waited too late to do:

Visiting Genuine Risk and Seattle Slew before they died.

Things I want to do:

See the Derby and the Breeder's Cup from the good seats.

See Zenyatta in person.

Go to the Cheltenham Gold Cup and the Arc.

Go to Keeneland and Saratoga yearling sales.

Most of all--scatter my parents' ashes at Saratoga. They've been in a closet for 17 years, waiting for us to figure out how.

Barnfairy
Oct. 9, 2009, 05:14 PM
Fed Rahy ... peppermints.
No way. You got to feed treats? Lucky (http://www.entertonement.com/clips/gcxrvyvcrk--LuckyJon-Heder-Napoleon-Dynamite-).

Our tour guide at 3C's had a conniption when my husband strayed all of 20 feet to take a picture of Seattle Slew's statue. :rolleyes:

Kinsella
Oct. 9, 2009, 11:41 PM
I'll never get to do my #1 bucket list for racing, but everything else I wanted to do has been checked off...

Watch live racing at Churchill Downs

Visit Secretariat's grave

Feed peppermints to Conquistador Cielo

Hang out with John Henry and feed him mints (and get the photo to remember him by!)

Go to Santa Anita for the big races (SA Derby and H'cap)

Go to the Keeneland JULY yearling sales and see a really big-ticket sale

Sing Mia Song
Oct. 12, 2009, 02:53 AM
No way. You got to feed treats? Lucky (http://www.entertonement.com/clips/gcxrvyvcrk--LuckyJon-Heder-Napoleon-Dynamite-).

Our tour guide at 3C's had a conniption when my husband strayed all of 20 feet to take a picture of Seattle Slew's statue. :rolleyes:

We got a brief side tour away from the rabble to see Rahy and Wild Again. ;) Everyone else wanted to see Smarty Jones, but I drifted up to the tour guide and requested to see Rahy and he took us to the back barn.

Vitriolic
Oct. 12, 2009, 06:49 AM
I am curious if horses can race without $400 - $600 of prerace meds. I am not talking about Adequan type bills either. Our horses at our request had the loading dose and then the maintenance and this was not a part of the bill.

Yep - It's on my bucket list - but I am not leaving my day job any time soon so it won't be for a while yet...

Yes do it. It often matter to no one but your vet. I refused to pay $500 to the vet for a horse who likes to run 4th for bottoms maiden claiming. He is dead sound. Just slow. Nothing but luck will move this dear fellow up. :D

I would like to breed one who goes in a Triple Crown race. That is so illusive. :) I would love to see RA and Z in person too.

vineyridge
Oct. 12, 2009, 10:12 AM
I'd like to see every four mile or longer steeplechase in the world, from America to Japan to all the great ones in Europe.

Blinkers On
Oct. 12, 2009, 12:19 PM
You would have loved Sylvester then. I got him for free off a two year layoff and earned $180,000 racing over the next six years. I claimed him back four times, each time for less than I lost him for. I guess I should have retired right then because that is going to be tough to top.

Yep, my kind of horse. Winning with the filly would be a HUGE HUGE unspeakable victory. I could retire after than... LOL.. She has some unique quirks to overcome. Yesterday's work was a huge step in the right direction... and barefoot to boot. LOL

Acertainsmile
Oct. 12, 2009, 12:41 PM
Awesome horse Laurie had, I used to gallop him and he was quite the character!

I've done quite alot so far~

Galloped a BC horse and some very nice local stake horses.
Great box seat at the wire for the Derby, ditto for the Preakness
Rode races, had a job for a long time that I loved (galloping), and went to some really nice racetracks around the country.
Won some races as a Trainer with a very cheaply bought filly...amazing what a change of surface can do!

Next is to watch some of our homebreds win some really nice races.

Go to Cali and visit the tracks!

Toadie's mom
Oct. 12, 2009, 09:00 PM
Like many I want to go to the Derby, but in style. I've been to Churchill and even there for 2 BCs, but just had general admission and it was fun, but not great.

I want to have another race horse and actually get my picture taken in the winner's circle. My horse had 4 wins and, of course, I wasn't at any of those races :no:

Of the tracks I haven't been to I think Saratoga is 1st on the list.

Lots of other things I could post, but I'm too realistic ;)

WinterTriangle
Oct. 13, 2009, 03:05 AM
See Rachel in person, on the track or off.

Here I am, in the nowhere'sville of arkansas......but Rachel ran a few here at Oaklawn, was stabled here for a while.....got to see her race several times.

And, Zenyatta ran her ONLY ever dirt race here! She is very........sparkly.

Yes, I died and went to heaven. :) I dunno why we have such a great track here in the middle of nowhere, but I feel blessed.

I would love to go to Saratoga, Keeneland, and also, for some reason, Ruidoso Downs. And I'd like to visit Three Chimneys and some of the farms where the "greats" standing. And play ball with Mine That Bird. :) Attend the Arc de Triomphe. Meet Zarkava.

Heart's Journey
Oct. 13, 2009, 01:39 PM
Things I've done: Attended the Ky Derby twice ('82 Gato Del Sol & '88 Winning Colors) in the infield, KHP - saw John Henry, though I don't remember who else was there at the time (6/98)

Attended the first 2 Breeder's Cups at Gulfstream (good seats) - saw Sunday Silence beat my favorite, Easy Goer

other tracks: Santa Anita, Calder, Hialeah, Gulfstream many times

visited Claibourne farm and got to pet Unbridled, Mr. Prospector, Danzig, Seeking the Gold, and a few others there at the time.

would like to: attend another Ky Derby in good seats, Belmont, Preakness, and Travers stakes. Would love to spend time at Saratoga.

Bacchus
Oct. 13, 2009, 02:00 PM
Things I've done:

Owned a racehorse
Galloped a horse in training on a track (different horses)
Saratoga
Santa Anita
Box seat at the Derby (wouldn't go otherwise -- saw Big Brown)
Ditto the Oaks (saw Rachel)

Bucket List:
Del Mar
Royal Ascot
Own a winning racehorse;)

MintHillFarm
Oct. 13, 2009, 02:44 PM
Bucket List - Have dones:
Owned race horses (not any longer, does that say anything!?)
Visited Seattle Slew (twice)
Visited Smarty Jones
Visited many of the farms in Lexington area
Went to all 3 Triple Crown races - in 1985 - We made money! Had the exacta at the Derby, with Spend A Buck on top, it paid $117.00 (We had a $500.00 bet on that one!) We made money at the Preakness and Belmont as well.

Bucket List - To do:
Go to the Breeder's Cup
Pin hook a yearling
Have enough money to spend a week at Saratoga relaxing...

SteeleRdr
Oct. 13, 2009, 03:52 PM
Make a trip to Cheltenham.

Train 'chasers (almost there, got a timber horse in training now).

Troispony
Oct. 13, 2009, 05:25 PM
Most of all--scatter my parents' ashes at Saratoga. They've been in a closet for 17 years, waiting for us to figure out how.

My grandmother did it with my grandfather's ashes during breakfast at the track, right as the rakes went by (appropriate, as he used to drive the red tractor :)).