PDA

View Full Version : Robert Dover Canada’s New National Coach

Peace
Oct. 8, 2009, 11:35 AM
WELLINGTON, Florida, Oct. 7–Robert Dover, a six-time Olympian for the United States, has been appointed Technical/Coach Advisor for Canada’s dressage team for the next year, Dressage Canada announced Wednesday.

http://www.dressage-news.com/?p=3601

CatOnLap
Oct. 8, 2009, 11:46 AM
Well, he certainly rides better than most of us... :lol:

rebecca yount
Oct. 8, 2009, 11:52 AM
I am so evil, I can't resist...

CRAP! I thought they were going to give the job to Gil M.

alacrity
Oct. 8, 2009, 12:43 PM
Wait... Robert Dover is 53?!? He looks 30 in that picture.

Oh, Botox... you and I will someday be friends...

Fairview Horse Center
Oct. 8, 2009, 12:49 PM
Wait... Robert Dover is 53?!? He looks 30 in that picture.

Actually that is exactly how he looked back in 1978, when he was 22? :lol:

I had no idea he was that young then, and already one of our top dressage riders and trainers.

Mozart
Oct. 8, 2009, 12:49 PM
Good news!
Would a Tim Hortons gift card be an appropriate congratulations gift? :winkgrin:

narcisco
Oct. 8, 2009, 03:56 PM
Who did we get?

saabski
Oct. 8, 2009, 04:02 PM
Anne Gribbons (if by we you mean the US of A)

narcisco
Oct. 8, 2009, 04:10 PM
Fair enough. Seems like she trained Metallic, then Robert got the ride.

Peace
Oct. 8, 2009, 04:15 PM
Who did we get?

Congrats to Robert. It appears they are still in negotiations with Anne?

Polydor
Oct. 8, 2009, 06:41 PM
Who was our (canada) coach up till now?

P.

egontoast
Oct. 8, 2009, 06:51 PM
Norbert van Laak-:

http://www.dressagecanada.org/page1col.asp?pageid=10027

Barbara_F
Oct. 10, 2009, 11:39 PM
Wonder how it will work. What happens if someone already has their own coach? p.s Does anyone know if he is in Europe helping the Canadians right now? Belinda Trussell just won the Int2 in Hungary.

Fixerupper
Oct. 11, 2009, 12:52 AM
Canada has been a notorious 'coach killer' in all horse sports in the past...especially dressage!!!! I'm certainly hoping that RD can break the pattern...I think that because of the 'Wellington connection' he has with many of the CDN riders it might just work...here's hoping...I think he has a lot to offer...

slc2
Oct. 11, 2009, 04:56 AM
The role of technical advisor/coach advisor is extremely difficult. He will not replace the personal coaches, he will be working alongside them as would be Gribbons in the US. This is a very different from a national coach and a difficult position to be in. I'm not sure any contract that could be written could dispell the fundamental problem of being an advisor to coaches, rather than a coach.

Velvet
Oct. 11, 2009, 05:31 PM
I figure someone has to say this (and why not me since it's expected ;) ) --is sending Dover over to coach the Canadians kind of like when the Germans say they're sending a horse to France? :lol:

CatOnLap
Oct. 11, 2009, 05:35 PM
heehee Velvet.
I notice he tactfully avoided saying he was actually travelling to Canada at any point...

Piaffing
Oct. 11, 2009, 07:17 PM
heehee Velvet.
I notice he tactfully avoided saying he was actually travelling to Canada at any point...

Sorry but you are incorrect on that. He is travelling to British Columbia later this month and will be in Toronto Ontario in November for the Royal Horse Show.

CatOnLap
Oct. 11, 2009, 07:40 PM
oh sure, go spoil a good joke with irrelevant facts,Piaffing!

It doesn say that in the interview linked...and I think Velvet is worried that the Canucks will EAT him...

Piaffing
Oct. 11, 2009, 10:18 PM
Honest we won't eat him. We want to show him how well our moose can piaffe.

Foxtrot's
Oct. 11, 2009, 10:26 PM
It's got to be Canadian Thanksgiving again ....(sigh) Happens every year.

Fairview Horse Center
Oct. 11, 2009, 11:47 PM
Honest we won't eat him. We want to show him how well our moose can piaffe.

Are you gonna make him stay in an igloo? :cool:

Dame M. Dimblekins
Oct. 12, 2009, 03:20 PM
Congratulations Robbie, dear.
You'll look smashing in a touk.

egontoast
Oct. 12, 2009, 04:01 PM
he's a lumberjack and he's Ok

isn't it 'toque' though?

edited- yes and there is even an equestrian connection according to questionable internet sources:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toque

Velvet
Oct. 12, 2009, 07:16 PM
he's a lumberjack and he's Ok

Eggie! You're terrible! Do you remember all the words to that song?

I love Monty Python. :D Always fun to watch. Maybe I'll have to put on "Monty Python and the Holy Grail" again--the special edition. ;)

horse2rider
Oct. 13, 2009, 04:52 AM
http://www.horse2rider.eu/Webnodes/en/Web/CMS/Nyheder/Robert+Dover+ikke+uventet+Canadas+nye+landstr%E6ne r

egontoast
Oct. 13, 2009, 09:13 AM
After being wrecked at first in the fight for the position as national coach for the U.S. Rober Dover submitted his application to the Canadian equestrian federation.
Yesterday it was published that Rover Dover in the coming year will lead the Canadian team. A decision as the Canadians is proud to present only a year before the WEG in Kentucky.

Helpful tip here. You might benefit from having a better translator.:)

CatOnLap
Oct. 13, 2009, 12:21 PM
isn't Holy Grail the one where they start out with all the credits having "moose" in them?
Will they now include:

"Moose trained by Rover Dover"?

Velvet
Oct. 13, 2009, 11:46 PM
:lol: I have visions of the Canadian riders going around the arena with someone behind them clapping coconuts together, and Robert in the middle yelling, "Half pass! Passage!"

Okay, NOW I have visions of that YouTube video of men doing dressage. :lol:

(BTW, does anyone out here know the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow? ;) )

Sonesta
Oct. 13, 2009, 11:49 PM
What do you mean? An African or European swallow?

Velvet
Oct. 14, 2009, 12:55 AM
I don't know.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh....