PDA

View Full Version : Fellow Boarder request, this one's a classic.

cajunbelle
Oct. 8, 2009, 11:14 AM
The horse in question has had some urine issues.. cloudy, tint of blood in the urine. The Vet took blood and everything seems ok, the horse really needed his sheath cleaned. The call comes in from the horses owner... do you mind standing with my horse to grab some fresh catch urine for the vet, we just want to double check. What comes to mind.. ARE YOU KIDDING ME. The horses owners are the parents of a 13yr old who is more fond of boys than her horse. I don't own the barn and have found myself helping this boarder/horse in the past. I can't believe people, do I have sucker written on my forehead. I have yet to give a reply. My 1st thought, tell them to jump out a window, my 2nd $30 a hour for every hour I stand there waiting.

Seven-up
Oct. 8, 2009, 11:18 AM
Tell them by the time the vet gets there, it won't be fresh any more.

But I still think $$/hour is a better response.

spina
Oct. 8, 2009, 12:48 PM
Your reaction sounds a bit extreme for a simple request. If you don't want to help them out just say no.

Most likely, because you have been helpful in the past they feel it's ok to ask you. Is there a barn manager or worker who could help them? If so, maybe you could suggest they ask them. If not, and you're willing to do it for money, just tell them you charge $whatever an hour but would be happy to help them out.

Sounds like it also might be a good idea to tell them not to ask you for anything in the future, although if you explain you want $ for your help, you probably won't need to.

seeuatx
Oct. 8, 2009, 01:25 PM
irony is that, were it me, if they had called and asked me to clean the sheath I would have said "oh sure, no problem". But asking me to stand there and wait to catch urine goes a little overboard.

I'd tell them $x/ hr to stand there with a little cup and then wait for the vet.

Giddy-up
Oct. 8, 2009, 01:30 PM
Why don't they come out? Or bring the 13 YO rider to do it? Surely they could spend at least 1 day with their horse if they are worried about his health.

Lkramer
Oct. 8, 2009, 01:44 PM
I personally always charge/ hour for holding or anything else that involves my time, whether it is shoeing, vetting, collecting pee....

twofatponies
Oct. 8, 2009, 01:48 PM
At a full service type barn I'd expect boarders to ask the BM or BO or other employees to help with that sort of thing.

I board at a "semi-self-service" barn, so we boarders often ask each other and offer each other a hand with various things, like blankets, turnout, borrowing this and that.

Are you just another boarder they happen to know?

Wouldn't you have to potentially stand around for a long long time waiting for a horse to have to pee??? :D

scribbles
Oct. 8, 2009, 01:51 PM
couldnt the vet just come out and give the horse the drug that makes them pee and then take it?

Long Spot
Oct. 8, 2009, 02:08 PM
At first I thought you had written that they'd asked you to help them catch urine and was wondering what the biggie was. But they just want you to do it outright? That's not cool.

I guess it comes down to how much you feel for the horse. If it were me, I'd probably do it, but I'd explain I was doing it for the horse and not them, and that in future they should find someone else to help them with the horse, as they had used up their "favor bank" with me.

jumpingmaya
Oct. 8, 2009, 02:25 PM
Yikes... we had a similar one in our barn... turns out he had kidney stones... poor thing :no: it took them 4EVER to figure it out!!!!!
I'm usually the first one to help in cases like this because I feel bad for the horse- but then again, friends are the ones that usually ask for help and I know I'd be able to rely on them if I needed them- if it was just someone- I'd probably tell them I'll do it for $X/hour...
Good luck!

cajunbelle
Oct. 8, 2009, 03:24 PM
I feel very sorry for this little guy. My sorrow and good intentions has earned me a spot hosing his toes in the a.m. for 2 weeks for suspected lamanitis, the parents do p.m. The 13 yr old doesn't show up, but the parents who look as if they came straight out of a thelwell ponies book come every night.. Must I also collect urine as gesture that I love all horses. I don't blame the barn owners either, they both work full time and are only there at night. I am just frustrated and would like to do the right thing/ without being a doormat..

Jaegermonster
Oct. 8, 2009, 05:59 PM
I wouldn't do it. There must be barn help there.
Either the parents need to do it or they need to drop Junior off with a cooler of cokes, a book and a cup and put him on standby.
They're nuts.

IrishWillow
Oct. 8, 2009, 06:03 PM
They want you to stand there and wait for the horse to pee in a cup?

:lol: I love it

CS
Oct. 8, 2009, 06:22 PM
Take the money!!! $50 an hour minimum 3 hrs.

Step 1 - turn horse out for at least 3 hours...
Step 2 - strip his stall -sweep out ever cob web and every piece of dust.
Step 3 - fresh shavings (and make it EXTRA fluffy)
Step 4 - bring horse in
Step 5 -grab cup quick - its a clean stall and he's going to have to go!

:-)

WorthTheWait95
Oct. 8, 2009, 06:43 PM
They want you to stand there and wait for the horse to pee in a cup?

:lol: I love it

I can't tell you how many times we've waited outside my pony or horses stall at shows waiting for him/her to pee for a drug screen. Nine times out of ten they gave up and moved on to another horse. Almost every time they gave up horse/pony in question pee'd immediately upon them walking away. :lol:

I would for sure charge $/hour.

cloudyandcallie
Oct. 8, 2009, 06:55 PM
My WB has no modesty and will whizz right in front of me, and I know his schedule, so PM me your address and I'll overnight you some healthy urine.:lol:

Seven-up
Oct. 8, 2009, 09:32 PM
My WB has no modesty and will whizz right in front of me, and I know his schedule, so PM me your address and I'll overnight you some healthy urine.:lol:

The horse isn't going in for a job interview! :lol: But when I go in for one, I'll be sure to give you a call. :winkgrin:

lcw579
Oct. 9, 2009, 12:30 AM
The horse isn't going in for a job interview! :lol: But when I go in for one, I'll be sure to give you a call. :winkgrin:

:lol::lol::lol:

meupatdoes
Oct. 9, 2009, 09:51 AM
It depends on the relationship between you and the other boarders.

There are people I would gladly do that for in an instant, because I know they would do the same for me.

My basic rule is don't ask someone for a favor you wouldn't do for them; don't do a favor you don't think they would do for you. The people in my life that I have asked bigger favors of are the ones for whom I would do a bigger favor in a heartbeat.

cloudyandcallie
Oct. 9, 2009, 09:53 AM

Feel free to. Just give us a little notice as he does drink beer occasionally. (No "grass" though and I remove all the mushrooms from the pasture.)

On a serious note, I would probably help out if the owners stayed around to help. When a friend bought a new pony for her kids, she offered to pay me to clean the pony's sheath which really needed cleaning badly. I declined payment but I did make her furnish rubber gloves.

SillyHorse
Oct. 9, 2009, 09:29 PM
It sounds like there could be a good business possibility here. :lol:

To the OP -- I feel bad for the parents getting stuck taking care of JR's horse, but that's their lot until they wise up. $30/hour sounds about right.

DancingQueen
Oct. 10, 2009, 12:07 AM
The question is, well since you feel the way you do I guess it's not much of a question but, do they make you feel appreciated for the help you give them?

I'm not sure that asking for money is the right way to go but you do deserve some recognition for the time you put in. They could just be thoughtless and clueless. Try enlisting another barn mate in a little shame scheeme.

Have your friend approach them and ask what they do for you since you help them out. Have her say something like NN (you) have helped her out so much in doing "whatever" and she wants to give you something as a thanks. She is thinking of just giving you XX amount (have her go a little high here) in cash, she's worried that that would be tacky but she can't come up with anything else. Maybe an american express gift card for $100 would be better? Have her ask what do they do for you, do they have any tips on appropriate gifts, do they think you would like a giftcert for a dinner out or a spa-day better then a coach purse? (insert what you really want here that is not green and folds and have to be spent on bills LOL)

Doing this would let them know that you are going out of your way to help them and that this naturally should be rewarded somehow, other people already think that they pay you or give you gifts for your help! ;-) They might just not be thinking that way and now they will start and may even throw you a little something for old favors.

If they reply with a "Oh, don't worry about it NN (you) like to help out, a thank you is enough" Then you know that they are cheapskates and it will be very easy for you to tell them, sorry I'm very busy these days I just don't have the time to do that for you anymore.