PDA

View Full Version : Where to Find Young Horse Working Students

HVH
Oct. 7, 2009, 10:31 PM
Where is the best place to advertise / seek a Young Horse working student?

joiedevie99
Oct. 7, 2009, 10:57 PM
Depends- if you have super green horses that need daily riding and/or ground work- I'd recommend looking for a pony clubber.

If you are talking more about handling weanlings and youn'uns, I'd suggest you advertise at the colleges with equine studies programs. You may have to do some paperwork so your working student gets college credit- but I'd think that would be your best bet.

Dressage.For.Life.
Oct. 8, 2009, 12:24 AM
Are you just looking for someone to ride a few horses? If so look locally- put an add up at some nearby horse shows and such, talk to people- let people know that you're looking for somebody to exercise some youngsters. If you really mean working student (full time, working for riding lessons / experience, lives on the property, etc.) put some ads up online as well as information on your website.

scribbles
Oct. 8, 2009, 12:48 AM
The USPC website should work pretty well.

HVH
Oct. 8, 2009, 09:09 AM
The position would be full time, live-on-the-farm and working under our Young Horse Trainer who comes to the farm 3x per week. Mostly riding horses for transition development and condition on flat work and over cavaletti, all safe/sane young horses already under saddle plus a few mares in training. Other duties would include tack management, mane pulling / clipping / blanketing work and going to schooling and recognized shows. Would include salary, apartment, utilities, internet access, board for 1 horse and formal dressage lessons under the young trainer who is USDF certified trainer. Looking for 1 year commitment with bonus at end of period (don't want to change in the middle of the year.)

What is the going rate for salary for this type of position?

Thanks for mentioning Pony Club site.

jn4jenny
Oct. 8, 2009, 09:12 AM
Would include salary, apartment, utilities, internet access, board for 1 horse and formal dressage lessons under the young trainer who is USDF certified trainer.

Honestly, with all that? You could get someone in there for free, or for a meager salary that would keep them eating. Sounds like a thin slice of heaven to me.

Cat - OnceUponADressageDream
Oct. 8, 2009, 09:20 AM
I'd love to do something like that :) shame I live in Aus! Most working student conditions here are pretty poor :( hence I work in a horsey job where I don't get to ride as much as I'd like but still usually get 1-2 rides a day, and a decent salary for someone my age without formal qualifications.
I'd advertise locally, at shows, in saddleries etc.

HVH
Oct. 8, 2009, 10:47 AM
I would be a good job for someone who wants to get in some serious experience working with young horses and under the direction of an exceptional trainer. It is work, however, and certainly will need a decent salary since we will expect dedication and patience in nurturing of these youngsters. This is a critical time in the development of these young warmbloods, thus the riding must be done correctly.

Does anyone know the going salary rate for a full-time working student rider?

butlerfamilyzoo
Oct. 8, 2009, 10:48 AM
You might find someone to do this for fairly cheap, but if you are wanting someone to stick it out and not resent making more money doing something else, a salary i think is going to be necessary. Nothing huge mind you, but at minimum $75-100 a week to cover groceries, gas, and most people have a car payment, if thats the case, they may need more.

This is a great place that you can go threw resumes and get LOTS of options from people looking for exactly this time of position:
http://www.equinejobs.com/default.asp

I've gotten a couple jobs off there that worked out very well.

Be TOTALLY honest with your working student/employee, and PLEASE let them talk to other employees or clients. I've also had some VERY bad experiences moving across the country for similar positions. Make contracts, spell everything out very clearly, sign them, and most of all STICK TO THEM! :)

I've always done interviews for these types of jobs, flown there, stayed a few days to really get a feel for it, once i stayed two weeks... The BOs were SOOOO good at hiding things, or giving me much more in the trial period than they decided they would do once i moved there... Dishonesty wont keep your employee there a year.

Cat- most working student positions in the US are not much better i'm sure! BOs have good intentions, but dont tend to follow through, or you've got to live in fairly poor housing, often shared. Not always the case, there are lots of good ones! But you REALLY have to search and just plain get lucky, usually ending up in some bad situations along the way, but it really makes you LOVE the good ones!

butlerfamilyzoo
Oct. 8, 2009, 10:58 AM
Check out the "competition" on equistaff to see what other barns are offering. They usually say the salary and perks. Compare and see if you are on target. I've found it GREATLY varries from barn to barn. Some expect the education to be payment enough, some are extremely generous (and i can say in my experience, those tend to keep their employees for YEARS), a good middle ground can easily be found, and allow some wiggle room for negotiating. Someone might be a super fit but have a $500 truck payment a month, they cant make it on $75 a week... But maybe they would be willing to use their truck to haul to a show or pick up feed now and then, so it would still help you out in the long run to have them around.

Insurance, are you planning on carrying it for your working student or require them to have it? If they've got to pay for it, does your salary cover it plus their food/gas/living expenses? DONT take on ANYONE without having insurance, either covered by you or by them. I've seen so many situations turn sour in seconds when young horses are involved. A small fracture in an arm and its a law suit if the kid cant pay, doesnt matter how many liability releases they sign or if you've got your nice little state sign posted on the barn... They are still an employee and you are liable.

Hope that helps. :) I've been in i think 11 facilities across the US, some good, some bad, mostly big name facilities. Really the best advice is again, be honest, and make sure to ask your potential working students all the questions you can think of. Require interviews in person. See if you can hang out comfortably together. You'll be spending a lot of time together over the next year, you dont have to be best buddies and pals, but a good "click" is essential in such a "close" relationship like these. Even if you need someone tomorrow, please take your time, really research, and go with your gut. :) Its easy for someone to read your discription, fall in love with the IDEA but not really have the nerve to follow through, or be good enough for the youngsters you've got. You're going to need someone fairly more advanced than most typical working students...

scribbles
Oct. 8, 2009, 11:07 AM
I worked for a young horse facility for the summer, doing basically what you are asking for plus working with the yearlings and babies as well, and getting videos for marketing etc, for 200 a week, plus room, plus board for my horse

HVH
Oct. 8, 2009, 04:41 PM
Thanks everyone for your comments and advice.

SaturdayNightLive
Oct. 8, 2009, 04:44 PM
Oooh! Pick me! Pick me! ;)

vbunny
Oct. 8, 2009, 10:01 PM
I'd think about how serious and already accomplished you want the person to be and how long you want them to stay. If you want someone with experience working with young horses and bringing them on carefully and thoughtfully then you are going to need to pay for that. If you want someone to stay and maybe even make a career out of working for you then you need to pay more. If you want to be cheap about it expect the good ones to leave because they need more money than that to get by without suffering. You sound like you want a keeper though ;).

Schiffon
Oct. 8, 2009, 10:11 PM
The USPC website should work pretty well.

I was hoping to send information about a position we had to district commissioners of various clubs in the region but was put off by the stern warning on that site that the info was to only be used for PC business.

elmerandharriet
Oct. 8, 2009, 10:18 PM
PICK ME!! That sounds awesome...

Jeannette, formerly ponygyrl
Oct. 8, 2009, 11:08 PM
You might send a note to Scott Hassler. The annual Young Dressage Horse Trainers Symposium is coming up next month, and the Hasslers/Riversedge/Hilltop/HArmony Sprothorses staff sure have sure watched a lot of videos of young horse trainers in action over the past 5 years, and met and worked with a lot of us....