PDA

View Full Version : we just got an aerovator!

lecoeurtriste
Oct. 7, 2009, 09:08 PM
Not that anyone on here really cares as much as we (the boarders) do, but our farm owners got an aerovator today and have already done the entire cross country course in preparation for our USEA/USEF event this weekend! If you haven't seen one or their results, it's AMAZING! The tines dig down about 6" while wiggling back and forth to loosen the soil and deeply aerate the grass roots. We have difficult clay/granite soil, and ONE PASS with this incredible thing improved the ground quality so much that it felt like I was riding in the sandhills instead of the piedmont! (For those of you who have seen my big beast and his size 5 feet...I couldn't even hear his steps as we floated/cantered across the galloping lanes to check the 15,000 gallons of water that was hauled in to fill two of the water complexes for this weekend!)

For those of you who know where I board and are non-believers, I'm taking pictures tomorrow and posting them on their website! ;-) <wink!>

Woo Hoo for improved footing!!

flutie1
Oct. 7, 2009, 09:13 PM
It takes more than one pass, but the results are amazing!!

retreadeventer
Oct. 7, 2009, 09:15 PM
Woot, woot, woot!
How nice. You are lucky!

lecoeurtriste
Oct. 7, 2009, 09:45 PM
The owner is planning to do more tomorrow in the especially packed areas...he was a non-believer himself when he first started going around (thought it was going to pull the grass out roots and all)...but now he's convinced (and ready to do all the paddocks after we get through the show). We all know it's going to take time and multiple treatments, but simply having it means that we are on the "right" road to seriously improve the footing and grazing conditions--which makes us grin ear to ear!

:-D

ThirdCharm
Oct. 7, 2009, 10:01 PM
Wow, coolness! Those suckers ain't cheap....

Jennifer

pegasusmom
Oct. 8, 2009, 04:44 AM
It takes more than one pass, but the results are amazing!!

Flutie, know lecoeurtriste's footing quite well, even with one pass it has to be a huge improvement!

Lecoeurtriste - wishing you all a great event this weekend. Wish we were there instead of being stuck in dressage hell.

FenRidge
Oct. 8, 2009, 09:49 AM
Bet it is wonderful, can't wait to see it!!! wish I was riding and not Jump Judging [sigh]

eventer_mi
Oct. 8, 2009, 01:38 PM
Oh, I wish I had entered the event after all - it sounds lovely!

Alas, I will have to wait for the first Frostbite. Good luck this weekend, everybody!

devcubber
Oct. 8, 2009, 01:49 PM
:D

good for you guys! We want one so badly for our event, but as a purely non-profit organization we cannot afford one just yet......

super happy for your good footing! ride the snot out of it for meeeeeeeeee!!

devcubber
organizer Queeny Park Horse Trials

roki143
Oct. 8, 2009, 04:17 PM
this makes me extremely happy and excited to run this weekend!

Hilary
Oct. 8, 2009, 04:24 PM
I'm not sure what implement they used, but the event I just attended had used some kind of soil preparer that left small cylindrical pieces of dirt all over the place. I thought at first I had begun walking in a dog poop mine field Then realized there were corresponding holes in the ground, so it was some kind of aerator.

The footing was great!

LynLyn
Oct. 8, 2009, 09:02 PM
We got one for the HT in Iowa and I must say that I had a blast grooming the course. What a neat piece of equipment!

Jeannette, formerly ponygyrl
Oct. 8, 2009, 09:55 PM
Sweet! That should be a wonderful addition! Sorry I won't be there this time - except I'm scribing for pegasusmom, and there will be no dressage "hell" in my happy little universe. ;)

shea'smom
Oct. 8, 2009, 10:19 PM
Awesome! The Princess will think it was done just for her, of course. Looking forward to it even more now.

pegasusmom
Oct. 9, 2009, 01:50 PM
Sweet! That should be a wonderful addition! Sorry I won't be there this time - except I'm scribing for pegasusmom, and there will be no dressage "hell" in my happy little universe. ;)

And I thank you for your sacrifice Jeanette! Would still rather not be here this weekend. . . although the hard part is mostly over with. . .

Jeannette, formerly ponygyrl
Oct. 9, 2009, 07:14 PM
heh, heh - I got a message this afternoon from someone about the schooling horse trials - she said she had called the horse park, "but it was after 4, they had probably gone home." I will 'splain the varied life of an organizer to her - maybe on my drive down. :)

Scribing is nota sacrifice! sheesh. free riding lesson, more like it.... (total highjack of this thread, but there is and OLD Peanuts cartoon where Linus is talking about his uncle who wanted to learn to play the violin, so he went to watch the symphony play. He wasn't very good after that experiment, so uncle said, "Next time, I'll sit closer" [/end digression]

Hope the Ark goes well tomorrow!

lecoeurtriste
Oct. 11, 2009, 09:39 PM
A BIG thank you to all of the competitors, volunteers, spectators, and vendors that made the Fall Horse Trials this past weekend a wonderful success! Congratulations to all of our division and Waxhaw Tack Exchange Across the Levels Team Challenge winners--please see our website for a complete list. And lastly, a big "ha ha" to the weather forecasters who called for 80% chance of all-day showers when we didn't get more than 10 minutes of sprinkle!

We hope we met your expectations, and if we didn't, that you'll take the time to contact the owner or organizer so we can do better in the future. We hope to see you all back for the Frostbite Series beginning in November (Nov, Dec, Jan, and Feb).

Thank you!

Readygirl
Oct. 12, 2009, 09:56 AM
I would like to add as a long time lurker in real life also, I visited Sat am and was very impressed with the grounds. Being new (part time) to the area and first time watching eventing I had a billion questions answered about the sport from a very, very patient volunteer who was also working at the time.
I am looking forward to moving to your neighborhood full time and perhaps finding my "horsey home" in the community. It would be pure heaven to be able to use your facility.

SuperEventer
Oct. 12, 2009, 02:27 PM
It was my first time at The Ark this weekend... Though I wasn't riding, I was coaching and showing in the FEH. I was very impressed with the organization, grounds, FOOTING, and the kindness of everyone working there. I will definately be coming back with more students and horses!

roki143
Oct. 12, 2009, 03:48 PM
LOVED the improved footing on cross country... so much so that I had a stupid glance off because I wasn't paying as much attention as I should! We were just out for nice gallop and WAM - the canoe into the last water jumped out at us. :) Had great fun despite of it!

ACMEeventing
Oct. 12, 2009, 03:55 PM
That's okay . . . the double down bank had cheetahs lurking at the bottom. Don't believe me, just ask my horse. ;)