PDA

View Full Version : do u sew on leg straps for rambo/amigo blankets

uniongrove
Oct. 7, 2009, 08:19 PM
rambo/amigo turnout blankets claim their blankets are self adjusting and use a low tail strap instead of leg straps to keep them in place. would you add leg straps? concerned the nylon inside of the blanket would not handle the stress of the leg straps and would tear the lining. are leg straps even necessary for this design? is it dangerous not to have them?

HowDoILook
Oct. 7, 2009, 08:26 PM
I have an Amigo sheet and have never had a problem with it slipping around on my pony. And hes one to destroy his blankets. Unless your horse is unusually rough with blankets, a crazy roller, or you layer a bunch of blankets underneath them, I see no reason why they need to be there. Just one more thing to get in the way.

Bogie
Oct. 7, 2009, 08:36 PM
My Rambo winter blanket is going strong after about 9 winters. It's never slipped and I love not having to deal with leg straps!

shawneeAcres
Oct. 7, 2009, 08:38 PM
Amigo/rambos NEVER slip, they are fabulous blankets and absolutely do not need legstraps, not true of any other make however!

BeastieSlave
Oct. 7, 2009, 08:40 PM
I've got a couple Rhinos that are heading into their eleventh year along with many more recent ones (wugs and traditional fit). I have never wanted or needed any leg straps and I have never had a properly fitted Rhino shift. I'm running off to knock on wood now....

Showbizz
Oct. 7, 2009, 08:48 PM
Add me to the list of those who has had Rambos for many years and LOVE not having to have leg straps...

I love not having extra steps when clothing and unclothing horses!

Cloverbarley
Oct. 7, 2009, 08:58 PM
Me too. Have had Rambos for 15+ years and never had any slip.

Personally I'd never buy a blanket with leg straps. I think they are the most awful creations around and I can't believe people still use them.

lauriep
Oct. 7, 2009, 09:48 PM
Nope, don't need them!

tBHj
Oct. 7, 2009, 09:56 PM
I wondered the same thing. I am planning on buying a Rambo Duo but was concerned with it not having leg straps.

gumshoe
Oct. 7, 2009, 10:32 PM
I've got a Rambo QH for a crazy roller and never had a problem with this blanket shifting. I would not put leg straps on mine. There's no need for them.

mypaintwattie
Oct. 7, 2009, 10:40 PM
I love the fact that my horse's Rambo QH blanket and Amigo turnout sheet don't slip and slide even when she rolls. The Rambo has a 3rd surcingle strap but still easier than leg straps. I took the tail strap off- they got too messy with a mare:)

Pally
Oct. 8, 2009, 01:07 AM
Nope for me too. Granted my horse is shaped like a rafter....no blankets really slip.

But what was weird, was that the tail strap on my Amigo rainsheet didn't have snaps....so it was a little gross pulling the tail through it daily. Thank goodness the lady repairing my blanket noticed it and added snaps. I found it strange since my midweight Amigo came with the snaps new.

uniongrove
Oct. 8, 2009, 06:57 AM
thanks everyone for responding, i was concerned during turnout the blanket would shift off to a side and he'd step on it/ get it under him or if it was windy it would lift off his rump, so thanks your input saves me the worry, time and money to put on unnecessary leg straps.

alteringwego
Oct. 8, 2009, 07:36 AM
agree witht he other posters. I've never had one slip; and we're HARD on them!

WorthTheWait95
Oct. 8, 2009, 08:06 AM
Mine have never slipped. I do usually have several spare tail straps around though for when they get a little dirty/grungy so I can swap them out easily. They get nasty so much quicker then the blankets.

luvs2ridewbs
Oct. 8, 2009, 09:46 AM
Yup They never slip. The single downside to Rambos is the price haha

mypaintwattie
Oct. 8, 2009, 01:45 PM
The single downside to Rambos is the price haha

Just remember: "Quality is remembered long after price is forgotten". I love that saying- thanks dad!

BAC
Oct. 8, 2009, 02:21 PM
I never knew this about Rambo's, that makes them worth the price IMO, I hate slipping blankets and it must feel so uncomfortable for the horse. In fact I never noticed that the Rambo/Amigo blankets don't have legstraps.

OkLurchers
Oct. 8, 2009, 08:25 PM
Not to hijack...but is there a big difference in quality between the Rambos, Rhinos & Amigos?
There sure is a big price difference!

Bogie
Oct. 8, 2009, 08:35 PM
They are expensive but I've had both a winter blanket and a sheet for 8-10 years . . . sure they've both been patched, but I've had plenty of other blankets that didn't even last one season. Now those were expensive!

Yup They never slip. The single downside to Rambos is the price haha

BeastieSlave
Oct. 8, 2009, 08:52 PM
I haven't owned a Rambo, but one of the ponies had an Amigo turnout. I think the cut was a bit different and the fabric seemed 'coarser'. We only had it one winter before I sold it, so I'm no expert.

I'm so far south I couldn't justify the price for Rambos, and only one or two of mine gets clipped and needs a turnout all the time. Even those wear Rhinos, and they sure have held up well :yes:

Cloverbarley
Oct. 8, 2009, 09:46 PM
Not to hijack...but is there a big difference in quality between the Rambos, Rhinos & Amigos?
There sure is a big price difference!

Yes there is a huge difference in quality. Rambos are by far superior to the Rhinos which are a bit better quality than the Amigos. I can justify the cost of Rambos because they really do last for decades. The extra cost for a Rhino in comparison to the lower cost of an Amigo isn't justifiable in my opinion, so if you were looking for a cheaper version of Rambo, I'd say go for the heavier denier Amigos (the lighter denier is not up to the job). I personally won't buy Rhinos anymore - just Rambos or Amigos.

I have a LOT of Rambos, goodness knows how many Rhinos (most in tatters :sigh: ) and about 15 Amigos. My horses definitely test their blankets out as we have winters for months here, generally below zero fahrenheit, and my horses live out 24/7.

I still have about 4 or 5 of the absolute original Rambos from way back in the 80's and a few of the Rambo Wugs that came out in the 90's and they are all still going strong! WELL worth the money in my opinion. :)

alteringwego
Oct. 8, 2009, 10:36 PM
the rep told me that it is a different in fabric. the cuts are the same.

BeastieSlave
Oct. 9, 2009, 08:31 AM
That's what I thought too, but the Amigo wasn't as deep (by a lot) as the Rhino - same size & cut.

TalkIsCheap
Oct. 9, 2009, 09:03 AM
I'm going to be the odd one out...I have quite a few Rambo, Rhino & Amigo lite sheets thru heavys, and I added leg straps to all of them.

Ditched the tail thing, it gets gross.

I added the leg straps not because of slipping to either side, but the winds we have whipping thru the farmland and down into the turnout fields will lift the aforementioned up off the rumps and clear over their heads. Including the blankets with the hood attached.

Either that or we place a cheap sheet with leg straps over the Rambo/Rhino to anchor it in place.

LLDM
Oct. 9, 2009, 09:09 AM
I've had great luck with the Rhinos, even better with the Rambos, but no luck at all with the Amigos. I barely got one season out the Amigos before they were shredded. My Rhinos have lasted about 6 to 8 years and the Rambos longer than that. But we are quite hard on blankets around here with young horses and a couple of stallions turned out with their gelding buddies.

And no, they do not slip! We mostly use the WUG style, and only one horse has gotten any blanket rubs from them. But she is a QH type, so I just ordered her a Rambo QH version and am hoping that it with work better for her.

SCFarm

Cloverbarley
Oct. 9, 2009, 09:27 AM
LLDM - I have a QH Rambo, thankfully I only bought one because I really don't like it. I have a number of AQHAs and I find the same as you that the Wugs really aren't made for them; the Rambo originals are better in my opinion :).

Yes my Amigos only last one season, maybe two at a stretch, and same as you I only use them for the youngsters who do tend to trash them pretty quickly, however I don't pay a whole lot for them (compared to the other Horseware blankets) so I'm happy.

RedMare01
Oct. 9, 2009, 09:37 AM
I bought a Rhino last year for my mare. It held up really well; very happy with it so far. She's not hard on blankets. I did take the tail strap off...was nasty after only a few days! No leg straps needed.

Caitlin

RugBug
Oct. 9, 2009, 12:14 PM
I've had my mid-weight Rambo for 6 years. It serves as my 'heavy' winter blanket here in CA (god bless mild winters). It still looks almost brand new, although the tail cord get gross (it washes up great). I've never had it slip.

I did just purchase a Pessoa turn out sheet because the denier is higher. Horse is no living out 24/7 with a horse that is notoriously hard on his pasture buddies blankets. He won't be fully clipped, so won't need his heavy Rambo and I didn't want to spend the $$$ for the lower denier Rambo (1200 vs 1800, IIRC) turn-out sheet with his lovely pasture mate. I'm hoping the higher denier of the Pessoa will keep my horse's sheet in better shape.

alterknowbetter
Oct. 9, 2009, 12:18 PM
I have an "Original Rambo" (the green with reddish/orange trim) that I have used for the past 5 years on a horse that rolls, gallops, bucks, and leaps, A LOT when turned out. Amazing to me, the blanket stays in place! I have NO idea how - but it does!

alterknowbetter
Oct. 9, 2009, 12:21 PM
. . . I did just purchase a Pessoa turn out sheet because the denier is higher. . . (1200 vs 1800, IIRC) . . . I'm hoping the higher denier of the Pessoa will keep my horse's sheet in better shape.

It sounds like you must be refering to Pessoa's Summit Turnout (it has the 1800 denier). I have a barnful and LOVE them. They fit well and have stood up great.

RugBug
Oct. 9, 2009, 12:53 PM
It sounds like you must be refering to Pessoa's Summit Turnout (it has the 1800 denier). I have a barnful and LOVE them. They fit well and have stood up great.

Yep...that's the one.

MintHillFarm
Oct. 9, 2009, 03:55 PM
Add me to the list of those who has had Rambos for many years and LOVE not having to have leg straps...

I love not having extra steps when clothing and unclothing horses!

Me too! Me too! I have Rambos in all weights, styles and sizes. Some for over 7 or 8 years. No need for leg straps. I think the horses are more comfortable too. No rubs or crusted manure...

Alibhai's Alibar
Oct. 9, 2009, 04:27 PM
I love the Rambo original (green with red trim). I have one that is at least 15 years old (it's a hand-me-down) and it's still going strong. I don't use the tail cord and never needed leg straps.

I also have a Rhino sheet and it has held up well but I don't expect it to last 15 years :lol:

BeastieSlave
Oct. 9, 2009, 06:22 PM
I forgot to mention that on the mare who is particularly gross, I remove the tail strap and use a piece of baling twine. I tie it to the metal loops and when it gets gross, I just untie it and throw it away.

Valeureux
Oct. 10, 2009, 09:31 AM
I bought the Amigo Duo last year for my horse, and he absoutley destroyed it. Somehow, the under portion with the fill slipped a bit low, and when he was rolling, he stepped on it when getting up, and ripped the entire thing open. It was a decent blanket, I just will never buy one again.

PS- I kept the sheet portion of it though, and that's still great :)

LLDM
Oct. 11, 2009, 11:15 AM
LLDM - I have a QH Rambo, thankfully I only bought one because I really don't like it. I have a number of AQHAs and I find the same as you that the Wugs really aren't made for them; the Rambo originals are better in my opinion :).

Good to know! I do have a Rambo Original on a TB/Han cross who is registered as an Oldenburg and shaped like an Appendix - the uphill version - LOL!. (And yes, his DNA verified his parentage!) And you are correct, the Original fits him well.

Blanket fitting - as much art as science!

SCFarm

hollywd
Oct. 17, 2009, 10:46 PM
I see this thread is a few days old, but it came up when I was searching for info about adding leg straps to a Rhino. My horse is a pinto with a white rear end and tail, and that gross tail cord is smearing manure all over his white haunches and tail, which I can't live with.

TalkIsCheap, did you attach the D-rings yourself? I'm trying to figure out if I can do this myself, and I don't have a sewing machine. I know I would need to find something similar to D-rings, and then nylon webbing to attach with. I'm hoping a fabric store like Joann's will have something I can use.

I know some people say they took their tail cords off, but my horse lives on a hillside that gets very windy, and I don't really trust that stretchy loop on the tail flap that his tail goes through to keep the wind from blowing the blanket over his back.

I could use the other poster's suggestion of baling twine as a tail cord replacement, which would help but not totally eliminate the problem. Plus I'd like something a little more permanent. I think I might do this until I can figure out the leg strap thing though.

BeastieSlave
Oct. 18, 2009, 08:38 AM
I"ve actually used Rhino turnouts without the tail cord. It's worked for me, but I don't usually have a lot of wind down here. Also, I like my sheets & blankets to be well fitted. Some people seem to like them to be on the large side... I'm not sure if it makes any difference, but my beasties are out 24/7.
Anyway, if the turnout is well fitted and the straps are snug, your horse might so just fine without the tail strap.

As for the baling twine; I take a piece from a square bale and use kind of a quick release knot at each side to tie it to the rings. The length is about the same as the nylon cord would be - not too long. The twine holds up very well. I don't think it makes anything less messy, it just means I don't have to clean the tail cord. When it gets gross, I throw it away and put on a new one.

Fairview Horse Center
Oct. 18, 2009, 09:07 AM
The Rambos made about 10 to 15 years ago, had a super cheap tail strap, they broke easily, and every year, at least one would come off a horse - sometimes very dangerously. After many complaints, they beefed up their tail strap, and I have not had any more problems.

My only issue with them is that the belly straps are too long to be against the body for most horses unless they are super fat. They get left hanging loose, even on their tightest adjustment, and that can be very dangerous. I hate tying knots in them.

I do have a QH Rambo, and love it. I didn't expect it because QH usually have HUGE bodies, but the fit, and those straps fit much better on my light, TB type bodied warmbloods.

I also have an Amigo that is heading into it's 5th winter, and not a thread out of place.

As a barn manager, I used to hate Rambo/Rhino/Amigos, and always recommended people add leg straps, but with the changes in the tail strap, I love them, and leg straps are no longer needed. I would rather they not have the 3rd belly strap though, and it is not needed if the tail strap stays intact.

checkwriter
Oct. 18, 2009, 11:42 AM
Rhino Plus blankets are also made by Horseware of Ireland. They are not exactly the same as Rambos and Amigos, but the this information, along a similar, vein might be helpful...

If you show in the northeast during the winter and your horse or pony is not kept in a heated barn, the Rhino Plus blankets are really helpful. However, I would recommend adding leg straps for a small pony, as I have entered the barn twice in the morning to find a dis-robed pony shivering in just a sheet in his stall. I think a small pony has the most room to have a good roll in their stall. I have no idea how it comes off from there. All the surcingles were still attached both times, so I have to assume he worked it over his head.

Having said that, these are great blankets. I have had many of the Rhino Plus blankets for ponies and a couple for horses. The blanket, with a removable neck cover, does a great job of keeping the ponies coat at a uniform length, and reducing the number of times you have to bodyclip over the winter. It does a really nice job of preventing the hair on the pony's neck from getting longer and shaggier than the coat on the body. If you show in the northeast during the winter, and have to model the pony, and the pony is not kept in a heated barn, this is really helpful, and a lot nicer for the pony.

The blanket makes a great top layer, because it kind of floats over anything underneath like a snow jacket, which might have something to do with that single snap at the chest. If the neck is too high just roll it down a little like a turtleneck.

Leg straps might help with a horse as well. I have noticed that the extra weight of the surcingles and hardware on the left side of the blanket tend to pull it to the left. Leg straps might help with this problem.

I have purchased pony legstraps and attachment hardware in the past from justforponies.com.

The Rambo with the neck piece has three belly straps. I have a Rambo Duo to try, so I guess I'll see how well that three strap hardware system works this winter.

Fairview Horse Center
Oct. 18, 2009, 12:11 PM
My favorite was the Rhino high neck that they made about 5? years ago. I am not a fan of the hug closure, but I like that partial high neck better than the removable kind.

spacehorse
Oct. 18, 2009, 11:31 PM
I also have an original Rambo that is atleast 8 years old, and still going strong. I did once find a horse out in the field completely naked, found his Rambo completely intact with ALL straps done up. I would have loved to have that on camera. :lol:

I will say that the Amigo and Rhino have both served me well. The Rhino, however is NOT cut for a big shouldered horse. The Amigo fits my big horse much better. I bought the highest denier Amigo, and have had no problems with it.

Those Wug closures scare me. I once saw a mare get the snap open and it closed and hooked her to her stall gate. Imagine- freaking out 17.2 hand already half skiddish with a damn stall gate attached to the front of her! WOO, it was excting for a minute. ALWAYS close them with the snaps facing in! Hate the Wugs anyway, they always seem to leave lovely mane bald spots anyway. And also leave a big gap at the top of the neck when grazing. :no:

Dapple Dawn Farm
Oct. 19, 2009, 11:15 AM
no, nope, nada, don't do it....

patina.marc
Oct. 19, 2009, 01:50 PM
Count me in too. I will never buy any other brand that Rambo/Rhino. They are quality products and last forever. The only problem I have ever had with the straps is that they get occasional manure on them. But they come off and are easy to clean.