PDA

View Full Version : Cost of Training Rides - Documentation for law suit

Vandy
Oct. 7, 2009, 08:17 PM
Not sure how else to describe what I'm looking for...I was injured in an auto accident and to "prove" standard industry rate for training rides for lost income claim, my attorney is looking for some verification of industry standard for training ride cost (per ride). I realize that this is extremely variable, and I have my own rate sheet, but he'd like something more. Any ideas where to find something like this? Other than copying rates from various H/J farm websites, I'm not having any ideas...

Tha Ridge
Oct. 7, 2009, 08:58 PM
Could you perhaps call local trainers in your area and obtain their rate sheets? That would likely be the most accurate way, considering that costs can vary so widely from place to place.

JOBEAN
Oct. 7, 2009, 10:32 PM
60.00 a ride...

jumpytoo
Oct. 7, 2009, 10:59 PM
don't you have receipts/records of all the training rides you were doing and what you were paid? Some riders get $60 and many get less. a judge would likely look at the amount you were currently getting and how many rides you averaged in a week, over a period of time. Hard to say if you would have gained 10 more rides or lost 4 or whatever so it would be averaged.

also many times the training rider is an employee of the training barn and is paid a different rate than the barn charges the customer. Soem are hourly or salaried so charges are different. So again, you personal record of what you earned is what they most likely look at.

Other question would be "Did the place you were working pay workers comp as part of your wages?" maybe there is some money there that would help you. Were you driving to or from work by chance?

Vandy
Oct. 7, 2009, 11:42 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. My attorney was hoping for something "official" like the a blue book value ;) but as you all know, this doesn't really exist in our industry. Hoping that rate sheets from comparable local trainers will be adequate.

As far as records I am self-employed and had just started my business (bought farm about 6 months before accident) so most of my previous training income was either shared with former BO or salaried, so I don't have as much history where I was paid directly the full amount per ride.

JumpingBug
Oct. 7, 2009, 11:49 PM
Are you trying to get money from person who caused accident for someone else riding your horse?

Where you a professional rider, as it would be loss of income? If not that is a stretch as it is a hobby for you? I was hit by a drunk driver at 19 and 2 of my junior jumpers had to go into full training instead of being kept at home and trailered for lessons. Fractured all ribs on one side and broke pelvis in pieces and could not ride for 8 months. COULD not get money for extra training on horses but uses the pain and suffering for it ;-) It was huge as we kept them at home and they had to go to a BNT and board and training, but we walked into the show ring as soon as I was able to ride.

I charge $55-$65 for a hour but will also hack clients horses for $25 little min tunes 1/2 hour. Of course the real deal is training where I make much less but it is more regular and predictable.

DancingQueen
Oct. 8, 2009, 01:15 AM
East coast not what you would call BNT but well rwenowned barn with a good clientel and some riders at WEF for 1-2 months with good results in their divisions.

We charge $40 for a training ride. We also charge the same amount for a "hack/flat" if an instructor is asked to ride the horse.
If owner and instructor both agree an approved peer can hack the horse on occation.
Most horses are not trusted with fellow riders for more then a few hacks. A horse is an investment and you will want it ridden properly. If a horse under my care was to be left riderless I would recommend for this horse to be in training 4-5 days a week by a professional or perhaps (but only) if the situation was perfect, half leased
to an accomplished rider if one was available at the barn you board.

The training rides will be very beneficial to both the horse and rider even if not over jumps. It is also essential that a horse doesn't lack proper training while his rider is abcent. IMO one or two hacks a week by a peer is fine but in order to maintain the value of the horse 3-4 training rides a week is a minimum.

As mentioned, we charge $40/ride but we know ourselves to be a little underpriced. Most of our students grew up with us and many of them took their first steps on horse back with us so we try to be generous where it comes to what os sometimes mostly a matter of time for our instructors.

quiet5
Oct. 8, 2009, 08:57 AM
in NorCal training rides (what is charged to the client) can range from 50 bucks to over 150 bucks for a BNR/T. what is paid is actually more difficult to discern: for the very few riders that are employees of the barn, they may be paid much less: depends on the overall salary.

Tell your attorney to use the rates charged to clients -- s/he should know this.

luvs2ridewbs
Oct. 8, 2009, 09:39 AM
East Coast, $40 a training ride

Hunter/JumperMom
Oct. 8, 2009, 09:46 AM
East Coast - BNT - 50 per training ride/class

Renn/aissance
Oct. 8, 2009, 11:48 AM
East coast, H/J show barn, $60/ride.

Long Spot
Oct. 8, 2009, 12:00 PM
Can you point him in the direction of the websites of trainers in your state/area who have rate sheets on their web pages?

Madison
Oct. 8, 2009, 01:53 PM
Given that there is no "blue book" for this, you are likely to have to get affidavits from local trainers to verify their rates, though if you have documentation of what YOU were getting paid before the accident, it is hard to see why they would need more than that. Shouldn't matter if it is "industry standard" if that is what you were getting, but now are not because of injuries in the accident. It should be your lost wages that matter, I would think.

nycrider2004
Oct. 8, 2009, 02:36 PM
lest you think your tax dollars aren't hard at work...the Bureau of Labor Statistics does indeed track the number of people who train animals....

http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos168.htm

I didn't have a chance to do much more digging but usually they also track compensation so you should be able to find that somewhere if you have some time to look....Mind you, this # will be based on salary info provided across all disciplines etc. and might end up being quite low so not sure how useful it is but it's the only "official" info I could think of?

Hope this helps?...and so sorry about the accident...speedy recovery!