PDA

View Full Version : I realized I had a few more questions...

arielise
Oct. 7, 2009, 07:52 PM
I realized I had a few more questions. I've shown in just about any horse event since I was young, but never any hunter flat classes, and never breed shows, so I'm sorry for all of the questions.

This mare is a reiner doing crossover to english, so I am not cutting her mane. I saw a horse online somewhere that had a mane bast his shoulders, but it was doe up in hunter plaits (not a french, basketweave, or and other misc. braid, actual hunter braids), and I was wondering how I might go about that and have it look presentable.

How frowned upon are helmet harnesses in breed hunter (flat) classes? My velvet doesn't have a detachable harness, so I was debating folding the harness up under.

In o/f classes, it is traditional to have the tail braided if the mane is. But does that go for u/s classes, too? I have seen a whole lot of breed show horses with unbraided tails, but also some with. Is it better to leave it undone?

How long do calming agents stay in the system? My mare needs to be pasted (I don't remember if it is quitex or some other) to clip her ears. But I will find another way around if need be as the show is sunday-tuesday.

Thank you again guys. You're the best.

spmoonie
Oct. 7, 2009, 08:43 PM
I realized I had a few more questions. I've shown in just about any horse event since I was young, but never any hunter flat classes, and never breed shows, so I'm sorry for all of the questions.

This mare is a reiner doing crossover to english, so I am not cutting her mane. I saw a horse online somewhere that had a mane bast his shoulders, but it was doe up in hunter plaits (not a french, basketweave, or and other misc. braid, actual hunter braids), and I was wondering how I might go about that and have it look presentable.

How frowned upon are helmet harnesses in breed hunter (flat) classes? My velvet doesn't have a detachable harness, so I was debating folding the harness up under.

In o/f classes, it is traditional to have the tail braided if the mane is. But does that go for u/s classes, too? I have seen a whole lot of breed show horses with unbraided tails, but also some with. Is it better to leave it undone?

How long do calming agents stay in the system? My mare needs to be pasted (I don't remember if it is quitex or some other) to clip her ears. But I will find another way around if need be as the show is sunday-tuesday.

Thank you again guys. You're the best.

At the breed shows that I have been to, I've never seen hunter plaits. The "english" horses always had the itty bitty hunter braids. (when you say plaits, I think along the lines of button braids). So I would have to say plaits are not the norm.

IMO, a helmet harness should be Okay. I dont see any reason it would hurt your placing, but then again, it is a breed show and they seem to be funny about that kind of stuff. If it were me, I would wear my harness.

For breed shows, (correct me if I am wrong) the tail is never braided. 99% of the horses will have fake tails, but none will be braided--just the mane will be done.

arielise
Oct. 7, 2009, 08:47 PM
Thank you. And yes I'm sorry. I meant the hunter braids. The flat braids with the little "bump" on the top of it.

Mags
Oct. 8, 2009, 11:21 AM
If you go to nationals, a harness on your hunt cap is frowned on. Same as a longer mane that's braided(as the braids wouldn't be perfect size for hunter braids) It sounds like your going to a more local or regional show.

I wouldn't worry about braiding her tail, just her mane. The harness on the helmet will be fine. At bred shows a hunt cap is a peice of apperal just like the cowboy hat. When you show at Congress you need a differant outfit for just about every class.

arielise
Oct. 8, 2009, 11:29 AM
No, you are right, not nationals (maybe someday).

Thank you. Should I try to get decent hunter braids (I would probably practice every day until then) with her long mane, or a tight running braid? I came across something that said running braids were legal in AQHA, but I just wanted to make sure.

I would cut her mane, but she is mainly a reiner/gamer/cowhorse just starting other events, and I have spent far too long slaving to get this mane.

Thank you for your help.

shawneeAcres
Oct. 8, 2009, 11:30 AM
I suspect since this poster is in NC she will be at our state fair show, which is an AQHA approved show early next week (we will be there also). I ALWAYS wear a helmet with harness and I am a pro (although I only do a very few QH shows per year) and I make my kids all wear helmets with harnesses. The "norm" however are the STUPID Hunt caps (sorry I think they LOOK awful as well as being ineffective, the way they perch them WAY up on their heads!). I do not think a judge can or will penalize you for different brainding styles, but you won't "fit in" nearly so well without true hunter braids. I braid and wouldn't want to tackle a full length reiners mane! Most QH/breed show competitors do NOT braid tails, but most DO use tail extensions. However, you do see braided tails at the larger QH shows, particularly O/F classes

arielise
Oct. 8, 2009, 11:37 AM
I suspect since this poster is in NC she will be at our state fair show, which is an AQHA approved show early next week (we will be there also). I ALWAYS wear a helmet with harness and I am a pro (although I only do a very few QH shows per year) and I make my kids all wear helmets with harnesses. The "norm" however are the STUPID Hunt caps (sorry I think they LOOK awful as well as being ineffective, the way they perch them WAY up on their heads!). I do not think a judge can or will penalize you for different brainding styles, but you won't "fit in" nearly so well without true hunter braids. I braid and wouldn't want to tackle a full length reiners mane! Most QH/breed show competitors do NOT braid tails, but most DO use tail extensions. However, you do see braided tails at the larger QH shows, particularly O/F classes

Thank you for that. Yes, It is the state fair. In all my years of showing (12-13 years if i recall), It is my first ever breed show.

Is it usually a pretty good sized show? I have only lived in NC for 5 years, and have never been to the fair nor the horse shows for the fair. How are the permanent stalls? And what should I bring for the stalls? Water buckets? Hay nets?

Thank you so much, I usually get NO real help through the state fair email.

caradino
Oct. 8, 2009, 12:08 PM
sorry to say nice, professional-looking hunter braids are just NOT possible with a mane that isn't pulled (shortened and thinned) to 4-6in. if the mare is going to stay a reiner as her day job, keep the mane and do a tight running braid. if you're going to be doing more HUS stuff in the future, bite the bullet and pull the mane!

there have been a lot of great braiding threads with pics and video how-to's in the past, definitely do a search!

good luck and have fun :)

arielise
Oct. 8, 2009, 12:13 PM
sorry to say nice, professional-looking hunter braids are just NOT possible with a mane that isn't pulled (shortened and thinned) to 4-6in. if the mare is going to stay a reiner as her day job, keep the mane and do a tight running braid. if you're going to be doing more HUS stuff in the future, bite the bullet and pull the mane!

there have been a lot of great braiding threads with pics and video how-to's in the past, definitely do a search!

good luck and have fun :)

Thank you for that :)
I think her future english involvement really depends on how she does in this show, so we shall see what happens.
I think I will do a nice tight running braid about 15 minutes before my classes.

Should I still braid her forelock if I do a running braid?

shawneeAcres
Oct. 8, 2009, 12:16 PM
Thank you for that. Yes, It is the state fair. In all my years of showing (12-13 years if i recall), It is my first ever breed show.

Is it usually a pretty good sized show? I have only lived in NC for 5 years, and have never been to the fair nor the horse shows for the fair. How are the permanent stalls? And what should I bring for the stalls? Water buckets? Hay nets?

It is actually a fairly small show as far as the QH shows in NC go as most of the really competitive horses are gone to Congress. The permanent stalls are so-so, some are in pretty bad repair, we opt for the temp stalls as they are usually in better shape than the permanent ones! Yes, you need buckets, hay bags etc, and of course bedding also the stalls have RED CALY dirt floors, use LOTS of beeding if you don't want orange horses! Also bring something to secure your buckets, there are no eye hooks etc in the stalls.

Horsegurlmercury
Oct. 8, 2009, 12:20 PM

The stalls are OK, some better than others. They are old but good sized. Just be ready for LOTS of red clay. You will need water buckets and hay nets if that's how you hay your horse. Depending on your particular stall, you might need u-nails to hang buckets on.

Hope that helps.

arielise
Oct. 8, 2009, 12:22 PM
It is actually a fairly small show as far as the QH shows in NC go as most of the really competitive horses are gone to Congress. The permanent stalls are so-so, some are in pretty bad repair, we opt for the temp stalls as they are usually in better shape than the permanent ones! Yes, you need buckets, hay bags etc, and of course bedding also the stalls have RED CALY dirt floors, use LOTS of beeding if you don't want orange horses! Also bring something to secure your buckets, there are no eye hooks etc in the stalls.

Thank you so much. I will pick up a few more bucket chains and such today. I wish that I had known about the permanent stalls before I sent in my entry.

I will be sure to pick up some extra shavings to pack in the trailer.

You have been so much help and answered questions I couldn't seem to get answered anywhere else.

arielise
Oct. 8, 2009, 12:23 PM
The stalls are OK, some better than others. They are old but good sized. Just be ready for LOTS of red clay. You will need water buckets and hay nets if that's how you hay your horse. Depending on your particular stall, you might need u-nails to hang buckets on.

Hope that helps.

Thank you so much, I'll tack a trip to the hardware store to get some things just in case.

rockfordbuckeye
Oct. 8, 2009, 09:58 PM
If you go to youtube and search "quarter horse congress" etc. you can find video of classes at the shows and that may give you an idea of what is "done"