PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here speak Spanish?

LulaBell
Oct. 7, 2009, 05:08 PM
Hello all!

I'd say I'm very conversational with my Spanish these days (living in Guatemala will do that to you...), but mostly I'm just well versed with day to day stuff and medical terms. I want to learn "barn/riding" Spanish, like what words you all use for different parts of tack in general, the gaits, etc.

I'm pretty certain there are a fair number of you on here who speak very good to excellent Spanish, so I'd really appreciate hearing some of the general stuff you use. Where I live, they don't really use tack or things like that, but I want to learn the words and terms so I can use them when I'm done here. I guess I have an awful lot of free time, and this is just sort of a personal side project I have to occupy some time! Learning Spanish pertaining to horses is far more interesting than the subjunctive, that's for sure.

Many thanks in advance!

Ben and Me
Oct. 7, 2009, 06:55 PM
http://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-English-Spanish-Dictionary-Dictionario-Equitadores/dp/1581501463/ref=pd_sim_b_1

We had a poster (by the same author, I believe) in the barn's feed room for a while. :)

ponykick
Oct. 8, 2009, 01:21 AM
There's also the Horseman's English/Spanish dictionary. I speak spanish and noticed that some of the words listed are different than what is used in some regions. Depending on where in the spanish-speaking world you are, some words will vary. I've found it useful to learn the medical/obscure tack/movement words (i.e. the words that don't come up in everyday convo) from books and glean the rest by asking grooms, farm hands, etc. who speak spanish "como se llama esto o como decir xxx".

WorthTheWait95
Oct. 8, 2009, 08:03 AM
The only spanish I speak is horse-related thanks to our wonderful grooms as a kid that taught me the lingo. It has been a huge asset to me since I can converse pretty comfortably with guys that can't speak a word of english (big help when I ride along with my vet and we need to find horses when the only person on property is the groom!). I'm not even close to fluent but I can manage to get my point across. It's funny how as a kid I would hear a word once and have it forever, now I need to hear it 10 times and use it 20before it's cemented!

Def get the horseman's dictionary but the only way I can learn a language is to be forced to use it (much like you're doing in guatamala). Next time you're at the barn or a show maybe strike up a convo with a groom. I spend a lot of time saying 'como se llama...' then pointing like an idiot to whatever object I don't know the word for :lol:. Our current groom is a wonderful tutor since he's very fluent in english. Makes those conjugation rules a little easier to grasp.

toomanymares
Oct. 8, 2009, 08:06 AM
I keep the spanish/english book for horsemen in the tack room and I catch the grooms looking at all the time! It's been helpful for all of us. I do want to get a poster though. Does anyone know where I can get that?

horserider12
Oct. 8, 2009, 08:19 AM
yes, I bought copies of that book for everyone that works here and it comes in so useful!