PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone here speak Amerigo?

Mimi La Rue
Oct. 7, 2009, 04:54 PM
I am saddle shopping again and picked up a Amerigo saddle on consignment from my local tack store. Since it's a consignment saddle, I wasn't able to find out much on it except that it's a 18" and a medium tree. The serial # on the saddle is "18L695109." Can anyone here give me some info on that? Model? Year? I am guessing the "L" is for a long flap? It fits my long hip to knee great. Is $1400 a good price for an Amerigo? Seems like a comfy saddle and is in good shape. I will be trying it on my horse later today. :)

Fergs
Oct. 7, 2009, 04:57 PM
Call World Equestrian Brands and have them run the serial...they can tell you when it was manufactured, sizes, etc. : 1.888.637.8463

Mimi La Rue
Oct. 7, 2009, 04:57 PM
Awesome! I am calling right now. :)

Mimi La Rue
Oct. 7, 2009, 05:02 PM
It's not in their system. I guess it is older than 5 years. Bummer.

Fergs
Oct. 7, 2009, 05:06 PM
Hopefully some COTHer who does speak Amerigo can help you then! If the saddle fits and it's in good shape, I'd say go for it. They are great saddles.

vbunny
Oct. 7, 2009, 06:59 PM
I'm looking around now for one. I'd say that if you like, it's the model you want and it's in good condition, then that is a great price. I have found that most are quite a bit more that that.

Mimi La Rue
Oct. 7, 2009, 07:12 PM
I'm looking around now for one. I'd say that if you like, it's the model you want and it's in good condition, then that is a great price. I have found that most are quite a bit more that that.

On eBay I saw a couple Amerigos in new or demo condition for $1495 or best offer. Unfortunately it looks like I need a long flap, and all of the saddles on eBay at that price are normal or short flaps. You should check it out.

Mimi La Rue
Oct. 7, 2009, 07:14 PM
Hopefully some COTHer who does speak Amerigo can help you then! If the saddle fits and it's in good shape, I'd say go for it. They are great saddles.

Thanks for your help! When I called they gave me the email address to Amerigo and said I should email them and see if they can track it down for me.

Mimi La Rue
Oct. 7, 2009, 09:20 PM
Just looked at the serial number again and found a C under it. Does that mean it's a Cervia? Are those any good? I was hoping it was a DJ.

jn4jenny
Oct. 7, 2009, 09:27 PM
I am saddle shopping again and picked up a Amerigo saddle on consignment from my local tack store. Since it's a consignment saddle, I wasn't able to find out much on it except that it's a 18" and a medium tree. The serial # on the saddle is "18L695109." Can anyone here give me some info on that? Model? Year? I am guessing the "L" is for a long flap? It fits my long hip to knee great. Is $1400 a good price for an Amerigo? Seems like a comfy saddle and is in good shape. I will be trying it on my horse later today. :)

Yes, that's an 18" long flap. Year, I have no idea. "C" printed beneath the serial typically means it was a custom order, not an off-the-rack model. Confusingly, C printed as part of the single same line in the serial usually means "Cervia".

$1400 for an Amerigo is, well, hard to say. It depends on which Amerigo it is and in which size. If it's a 17.5" DJ or CC, then it's a steal. If it's an 18" Cervia, then it's overpriced--WEB was dumping the 18" Cervias from their warehouse for $1500 as recently as last year, and those were brand new.

But if it fits you and the horse, go for it. $1500 is a good price for ANY used saddle of that caliber (Antares, Devoucoux, CWD, Amerigo, etc.) If it's a Cervia, let's hope you're extremely convinced of the fit--that particular Amerigo model was so plagued with fit problems that they discontinued it.

Mimi La Rue
Oct. 8, 2009, 12:48 PM
Thanks for your help! I browsed old Amerigo threads and saw you are very knowledgeable with the brand, so I was hoping you'd see my post. :)

It must be a custom then since the C is underneath of the serial number. I also believe it is a DJ, well the tack store lady said it was a "deep jump," is that what DJ stands for? I can't go on her word though because it wasn't her saddle in the first place and was only on consignment and they don’t carry anything Amerigo. Looking at the padded flaps though on Amerigo's, it looks like all the padded flaps are different for each model and the saddle I brought home has the same padded flaps as the DJ. It kind of curves sharply in at the bottom, if that makes sense.

I put it on my horse last night and just walked around my barn, because my trainer worked him pretty hard earlier in the day, and omg is it comfortable. Totally night and day from my old Beval Natural, which I hated. Today I will really ride him in it. It looks like it fits him pretty good except the front panels don’t rest completely on his sides at the ends. It looks like the saddle was on a much wider horse before. If I put a thick sheepskin pad on it helped, but without a pad they kind of stick out. The tree point though sits nicely behind his shoulder and the back panels rest nicely along his back. Also there is a nice clearance in the wither area. Is I had it re-flocked is that something they could fix or is it even important that the front panel sticks out a bit at the ends?

Nikki^
Oct. 8, 2009, 01:44 PM
How about asking the tack store owner if she can call the owner of the saddle to find out the saddle model.

Can you take pictures and post them on COTH for so some of the posters can tell you? How about sending the pictures to the company to see if they can tell you the model of the saddle?