PDA

View Full Version : Ode to Trail/Endurance Riding...

jazzrider
Oct. 7, 2009, 02:53 PM
Things are finally quieting down for me (crazy summer!). Thought I'd throw out a fun questionaire for everyone here in our sleepy little forum...

1) My favorite place to ride is… Blue Ridge conservation land near our house.
2) My favorite horse to ride is (name/breed/age)… Luke, TWH, 14 years old
3) I usually ride for (time)… 2-3 hours
4) When I ride, I usually think about…. how lucky we are to have these trails to ride. That and what we’re going to eat when we’re done. I always seem to get hungry about 45 minutes into a ride.
5) When we ride, my horse hates it when… he has to walk slow. He’s a marcher.
6) My horse’s favorite part of the trail ride is… the sponge bath at the trailer afterwards. He LOVES it. I don’t know why.
7) The best part of trail/endurance riding is… the amazing scenery, and the quiet time with my boy Luke.
8) The worst part of trail/endurance riding is… realizing 10 minutes into the ride I wore the wrong type of underwear.
9) I wish we could ride at (where?)… wherever Katerine rode last summer when she posted those pictures (minus the large, human eating wildlife).
10) My favorite thing to do after a ride is… sit on the edge of the trailer in the sun with a drink, chatting with my husband or friends about the ride, the horses, the next ride…

Your turn!

ChocoMare
Oct. 7, 2009, 03:05 PM
:)

1) My favorite place to ride is… The Silver Comet Trail (http://pets.webshots.com/photo/2419225690015305252LfcypQ) because it's pretty and very convenient - just a brief walk down the hayfield and there I am!

2) My favorite horse to ride is (name/breed/age)… Penny (http://pets.webshots.com/photo/2009531870015305252iXxwpC), 12 y/o Clydesdale/Standardbred cross

3) I usually ride for (time)… 1 - 2 hours

4) When I ride, I usually think about….how thankful I am that God blessed me with such an awesome horse (dream come true!), the pretty scenary (kudzu in bloom, wild muscadine grapes, GA pines).

5) When we ride, my horse hates it when… she has to walk slow. She’s a stomper....especially when headed for home! :lol:

6) My horse’s favorite part of the trail ride is… the bucket of beet pulp waiting at home. She lives by her stomach! ;)

7) The best part of trail/endurance riding is…the quiet.

8) The worst part of trail/endurance riding is…when my old ankle injury gets me and my right foot goes to sleep :(.

9) I wish we could ride at (where?)… Montana (there's a guy on Horsecity.com [Grouchy Grizzly] who posts his AMAZING pictures from there)

10) My favorite thing to do after a ride is...sit with my feet in a bucket of cold water and Vetrolin. Aaaaaahhhhhh :D

Auventera Two
Oct. 7, 2009, 03:21 PM
[quote=jazzrider;4424129]
1) My favorite place to ride is… How do you pick! We have hundreds of miles of beautiful, heavenly trails. Just about anywhere in WI is a great place to ride. :) Besides that, the most beautiful ride I've ever done was in the Chugach Mountains in Alaska. Breath taking. Like it wasn't even real. Stopping to dip your hands into frigid glacial water trickling down the mountain....Truly a different world.

2) My favorite horse to ride is (name/breed/age)… Sweets, Arabian, 6 yr old. http://www.hphoofcare.com/river2.jpg

3) I usually ride for (time)… 4 hours, sometimes more, sometimes less, but that's the typical trail ride for me.

4) When I ride, I usually think about…. how lucky I am to own such fantastic horses. Also how gorgeous the trails are, how many Pileated Woodpeckers are out and about. They're my favorite bird, and to see or hear one on a trail is a real treat.

5) When we ride, my horse hates it when… someone passes her. We have to have a discussion about it every.single.time.

6) My horse’s favorite part of the trail ride is… Any time that she can go fast. Her motto = life is better at a gallop.

7) The best part of trail/endurance riding is… the friends I ride with, the gorgeous trails, spending miles and miles with my horse.

8) The worst part of trail/endurance riding is… trailering to wherever I have to go to ride. I hate hooking it up, loading my gear, and driving there. If I can get past that part of it, then the rest is aces. :)

9) I wish we could ride at (where?)… In the cold/snowy mountains. I love riding in snow when its cold, and my dream is to do a week in the Alaskan interior, far from civilization.

10) My favorite thing to do after a ride is… EAT! and drink iced tea. :cool:

twofatponies
Oct. 7, 2009, 03:21 PM
1) My favorite place to ride is… The valley full of farms around the boarding barn.
2) My favorite horse to ride is (name/breed/age)… Solo, Morgan, 14 years old
4) When I ride, I usually think about…. how beautiful the scenery is
5) When we ride, my horse hates it when…we have to stand around and wait, or walk real slow to match pace with another horse.
6) My horse’s favorite part of the trail ride is… gallops!
7) The best part of trail/endurance riding is… the sounds of nature, seeing wildlife, the view from up on a horse's back, the vistas
8) The worst part of trail/endurance riding is… always ending up with too many layers of clothing on.
9) I wish we could ride at (where?)… endlessly in all directions, with no paved roads, no traffic, and no barbed wire fences.
10) My favorite thing to do after a ride is… go home and eat lunch!

lawndart
Oct. 7, 2009, 06:09 PM
1) My favorite place to ride is… The miles of trails in the State Forest that start behind my barn.

2) My favorite horse to ride is (name/breed/age)… Willow, grade mare 14 years old

3) I usually ride for (time)… 3-4 hours

4) When I ride, I usually think about…. how beautiful the scenery is and how lucky I am to have such a terrific place to ride. Sometimes I think about something I've been reading.

5) When we ride, my horse hates it when…we have to stand around and wait, or walk real slow to match pace with another horse, my horse is a 'marcher' too.

6) My horse’s favorite part of the trail ride is… seeing what is around the next corner.

7) The best part of trail/endurance riding is… the sounds of nature, seeing wildlife, the view from up on a horse's back, the vistas, good riding buddies.

8) The worst part of trail/endurance riding is… running into a rude person

9) I wish we could ride at (where?)… probably out west, tho I'm not sure I could take riding on those trails hanging off into space!

10) My favorite thing to do after a ride is… rinse my horse and tack, then turn her loose and watch her roll, shake, and buck. That mare has amazing energy!

pnalley
Oct. 8, 2009, 09:42 AM
1) My favorite place to ride is… 1099, the National Forest. It is challenging and pretty, I love riding to the swimming hole and stripping the horses tack off and going swimming with them

2) My favorite horse to ride is (name/breed/age)… I have two, Regalada my 21 year old Paso mare, and Favio my little 11 yr old Paso pony

3) I usually ride for (time)… 4+/- hours

4) When I ride, I usually think about….how thankful I am that God blessed me with an awesome horse and a husband that loves riding too. I feel blessed to be able to see the wildlife. We have seen cougars, deer and a variety of other critters an flora and fauna

5) When we ride, my horse hates it when… she has be behind another horse. Ladda prefers to control the pace of the whole group. Favio just rolls with the punches, nothing phases him

6) My horse’s favorite part of the trail ride is… Break time when they get treats

7) The best part of trail/endurance riding is…the quiet, getting away from it all

8) The worst part of trail/endurance riding is…I can't think of a bad part unless a horse or human get hurt

9) I wish we could ride at (where?)… I'd like to do the trail the Appaloosa horse club put on. It is supposed to replicate the trail the Nez Pierce took trying to escape the calvary

10) My favorite thing to do after a ride is... Get the horse cooled off, fed & turned out, then go have an adult beverage and talk with the other riders about the funny or neat stuff that happened on the ride, and decide where we will ride next.

mzpeepers
Oct. 8, 2009, 11:28 AM
1) My favorite place to ride is…The state park behind my house
2) My favorite horse to ride is (name/breed/age)… Dsara, 8 yrs old OTTB
3) I usually ride for (time)… 3-4 hours
4) When I ride, I usually think about….I usually pay attention to the horse, look at the scenery....not much thinking
5) When we ride, my horse hates it when…I hold him back
6) My horse’s favorite part of the trail ride is…powering up hills
7) The best part of trail/endurance riding is… going to quiet, peaceful, beautiful places and communing with your horse
8) The worst part of trail/endurance riding is… finding out mid-ride that you are wearing too much/not enough clothing
9) I wish we could ride at (where?)…the snow
10) My favorite thing to do after a ride is… take a long hot shower and pour mr a glass of wine

Gatorsgirl
Oct. 8, 2009, 12:19 PM
1) My favorite place to ride is… I'm still figuring it out...

2) My favorite horse to ride is (name/breed/age)… Gator (RS Renegade), 15 year old Arabian

3) I usually ride for (time)… 1-2 (no trailer yet and not tons of trails where we are now)

4) When I ride, I usually think about…. Depends - if it's an easy trail ride him, the birds, the scenery; If we're moving and shaking, him.

5) When we ride, my horse hates it when… He has to stand. He hates standing or being held back.

6) My horse’s favorite part of the trail ride is… Realizing he can trot/canter/gallop outside the ring (before me I don't think he'd ever even trotted unless being naughty out of the ring)

7) The best part of trail/endurance riding is… the quiet peacful time with your horse

8) The worst part of trail/endurance riding is… So far I haven't figured that out yet...

9) I wish we could ride at (where?)… Garden of the Gods in Colorado or almost anywhere in the mountains... I'd love to ride him in the Blue Ridge Mountains back home... or on the beach (did I mention we have a lot to try?)

10) My favorite thing to do after a ride is… Grooming my boy and letting him graze a bit after riding

(P.S.LOVE this thread! :D)

BigHorseLittleHorse
Oct. 8, 2009, 12:24 PM
1) My favorite place to ride is…along the Chesapeake Bay -- only did it once, but WOW.
2) My favorite horse to ride is (name/breed/age)… Sasha, 14 y.o. Arab
4) When I ride, I usually think about….which rock or log my horse is going to spook at next
5) When we ride, my horse hates it when…I hold him back
6) My horse’s favorite part of the trail ride is…open fields where he can power-trot
7) The best part of trail/endurance riding is… enjoying the peace and quiet with a great companion (the horse, of course!)
8) The worst part of trail/endurance riding is… hate to say it, but the occasional rude or idiotic other riders
9) I wish we could ride at (where?)…the mountains
10) My favorite thing to do after a ride is… share some watermelon with Sasha

BayRoan
Oct. 8, 2009, 01:16 PM
1) My favorite place to ride is… The Flying M Ranch, although I usually ride out from my farm on logging roads and trails

2) My favorite horse to ride is (name/breed/age)… Kelvin, AQHA, 5

3) I usually ride for (time)… 1 to 4 hours

4) When I ride, I usually think about…. what a nice horse Kelvin is growing up to be or observing what's going on in the landscape

5) When we ride, my horse hates it when… we come to an appropriate area to school things like loping circles, he'd rather just head out for an adventure

6) My horse’s favorite part of the trail ride is… the thorough grooming before and after

7) The best part of trail/endurance riding is… having quiet, beautiful places to get my horse fit without frying his brain by going around in endless circles

8) The worst part of trail/endurance riding is… interesting traffic on the gravel roads (road graders, once I ended up the middle of a rally car event that they didn't bother to notify anybody about beforehand) My horse is good with traffic, but we sure ate a lot of dust the day of the rally car event. ick.

9) I wish we could ride at (where?)… I want to ride the Steens Mountain area of SE Oregon

10) My favorite thing to do after a ride is... make sure my horse is rubbed down well and happily munching hay

AlfalfaGirl
Oct. 8, 2009, 01:48 PM
1) My favorite place to ride is… Ebenezer State Park @ Sam Rayburn Lake in Jasper, Texas

2) My favorite horse to ride is (name/breed/age)… Red, AQHA, 8 yrs old

3) I usually ride for (time)… 3+ hours break for lunch a couple of hours and then 3+ hours again. Woo Hoo...

4) When I ride, I usually think about…. Most of the time I am thinking about what is up ahead!!

5) When we ride, my horse hates it when… I don't let him bust a gut around wagon's and mules. Red gets very excited around them. I think he thinks he is at the race track again. He was not too happy 2 weeks ago when I wouldn't let him GO. He still listens though and doesn't get out of hand. Red is normally so laid back he is down right lazy!

6) My horse’s favorite part of the trail ride is… LOL I think it is is wagon's and mules! He hates that I hold him back though. He is down right comical when he sees them and they are playing music.

7) The best part of trail/endurance riding is… That I am actually there. I have waited 26 years to own a horse again and to trail ride. It is incredible to me that I have the terrific horse and I have my OWN trailer and I can actually GO without anyone telling me otherwise. I love the woods and going up and down the hills - I love stepping over the downed logs and going through the little creeks and ravines. Ok....I will stop yammering now.

8) The worst part of trail/endurance riding is… when my jeans are sticking to my legs and bunching in places. UGH....and when we are with a huge group and they stop every mile or so and hurry up and wait. I am ready to go!

9) I wish we could ride at (where? in the mountains or trails when the leaves are changing in the fall. We don't have a huge change of season here and I want to do that!

10) My favorite thing to do after a ride is cool off with a drink and sit down in a comfortable chair! - actually that is a long time off generally. I can't wait to get into the truck and have the AC blowing in my face!

JollyBadger
Oct. 8, 2009, 03:01 PM
1) My favorite place to ride is. . .I'm still discovering new favorites, but I really enjoy Hocking Hills State Park in central Ohio. Heading to Shawnee National Forest this Sunday to spend a week riding there, and I've been told that it's "like Hocking, but BIGGER," so I'm looking forward to it!

2) My favorite horse to ride is (name/breed/age)… Badger, TWH, 11 years

3) I usually ride for (time)… Roughly four to seven hours

4) When I ride, I usually think about….the weather, the scenery, the wildlife, our route for the day. . .

5) When we ride, my horse hates it when… the flies are bad.

6) My horse’s favorite part of the trail ride is…he seems to like trails with more technical difficulty. . .rocks and roots to navigate, deeper streams to cross, etc.

7) The best part of trail/endurance riding is… seeing the world from the back of my horse. . .it always looks prettier from up there!

8) The worst part of trail/endurance riding is… run-ins with other trail users who are clueless when it comes to trail etiquette or horse safety, and make their ignorance known. . .this includes other horse people.

9) I wish we could ride at (where?)… I would love to do some riding out west/southwest. . .on a beach. . .and in New Zealand.

10) My favorite thing to do after a ride is… hang out with the horses while they cool out, give them their "pats 'n scratches" and a couple of treats as thanks for a good ride, and then watching them have a good roll in the muddiest, sloppiest place they can find.

KCFoxy
Oct. 8, 2009, 08:59 PM
1) My favorite place to ride is… OD
2) My favorite horse to ride is (name/breed/age)…Hunter/ArabX/8
3) I usually ride for (time)… 3-4 hrs
4) When I ride, I usually think about…. how lucky we are to have these trails to ride and wonderful horses and friends to spend the time with.
5) When we ride, my horse hates it when… he has to walk slow or follow
6) My horse’s favorite part of the trail ride is… moving out and leading
7) The best part of trail/endurance riding is… the amazing scenery, and being blown away that we did it
8) The worst part of trail/endurance riding is…the anticipation
9) I wish we could ride at (where?)… stumped on this one.....just wish I could ride daily
10) My favorite thing to do after a ride is… sit on the edge of the trailer in the sun with a drink, watching my horse and hanging with my friends

JustTrails
Oct. 8, 2009, 09:54 PM
1) My favorite place to ride is… earth
2) My favorite horse to ride is (name/breed/age)… Dolly/Arab/23
3) I usually ride for (time)… 3-4 hrs
4) When I ride, I usually think about…. How fortunate I am to have a horse that can go from stall to trail with no warm up, head out by herself with no fuss, and the horse life in general.
5) When we ride, my horse hates it when… insects swarm her ears.
6) My horse’s favorite part of the trail ride is… moving out and leading
7) The best part of trail/endurance riding is… Spending the time with this amazing being that is my horse.
8) The worst part of trail/endurance riding is… really hot days and no shade, wind.
9) I wish we could ride at (where?)… Banff, Alberta Canada, which I will in 2 years :)
10) My favorite thing to do after a ride is… When putting my girl back in her house, giving her carrots and a big smooch and thanking her for the wonderful day.

spotnnotfarm
Oct. 9, 2009, 10:26 AM
1) My favorite place to ride is…Any where New.
2) My favorite horse to ride is (name/breed/age)… Grover, 4 1/2 year old paint
3) I usually ride for (time)… 2-4 hours
4) When I ride, I usually think about…. How peaceful it is out in the woods and what good company I have.
5) When we ride, my horse hates it when… we ride with my husband and another horse come between Thunder and him.
6) My horse’s favorite part of the trail ride is… the treats after the ride. He knows where they are in the tack room and will bug you until he gets one
7) The best part of trail/endurance riding is… being with my best friend!
8) The worst part of trail/endurance riding is… some of the non horse people we encounter, once a child was screaming horses and his mother said don't let them run over you!
9) I wish we could ride at (where?)… In Ireland
10) My favorite thing to do after a ride is… Watch as we pull in our driveway as our retired horse Woody runs to the gate with a welcome back whinny.

katarine
Oct. 9, 2009, 11:28 AM
1) My favorite place to ride is… wherever Cowboymom takes us every summer in Montana :)

2) My favorite horse to ride is (name/breed/age)… At home? Chippy, my 8 YO TWH.

3) I usually ride for (time)… 3-4 hrs, really depends...

4) When I ride, I usually think about…. at home- daydream, horse smell, clip clop clip clop stop racking Chippy and go back to walking ding dong. On our summer trip? My heart and mind just open to the wonder of it all.

5) When we ride, my horse hates it when… he has to walk slow. He’s a marcher.

6) My horse’s favorite part of the trail ride is… treats and when he gets to RUN, if he gets to LOL

7) The best part of trail/endurance riding is… freedom from cellphones and computers

8) The worst part of trail/endurance riding is…horseflies, deerflies

9) I wish we could ride at (where?)… wherever Katerine rode last summer when she posted those pictures (minus the large, human eating wildlife).LOL You mean the Lee Metcalf Wilderness, SW MT

I wish I had more time out there, too!

10) My favorite thing to do after a ride is… sit by the LQ in folding chairs, drinking a cold beer, chatting with my husband or friends about the ride, the horses, the next ride…

tabula rashah
Oct. 9, 2009, 12:51 PM
1) My favorite place to ride is… The private trails off the farm where I work

2) My favorite horse to ride is (name/breed/age)… Belle 15 year old Morgan mare

3) I usually ride for (time)… 3-5 hours

4) When I ride, I usually think about…. How lucky I am to have these places to ride

5) When we ride, my horse hates it when… we don't get to play in the water

6) My horse’s favorite part of the trail ride is… hanging out in the middle of the river

7) The best part of trail/endurance riding is… a good trot/ canter through beautiful scenery on a great horse

8) The worst part of trail/endurance riding is… having to unhitch the trailer when I get back and unpack everything

9) I wish we could ride at (where?)… wherever Katerine rode last summer when she posted those pictures (minus the large, human eating wildlife). I'm gonna leave this answer and agree with it

10) My favorite thing to do after a ride is… stopping to get a bite with friends on the way home

amdfarm
Oct. 14, 2009, 05:32 AM
1) My favorite place to ride is… I"m not too picky. Any trail really. Elk Rock, Brushy Creek (better before they made most of it into a giant lake!) or Stephens Forest.
2) My favorite horse to ride is (name/breed/age)… Twister, AQHA gelding, 23yo
3) I usually ride for (time)… 2-4 hours
4) When I ride, I usually think about…. nothing really, just enjoy the scenery, wildlife, the sights, sounds and beauty of it all.
5) When we ride, my horse hates it when… he has to walk slow or stop or I have to hold him back, which is rare.
6) My horse’s favorite part of the trail ride is… galloping up hills and in the open spaces, if I let him.
7) The best part of trail/endurance riding is… see #4 and spending time w/ my boy and friends if we're not alone.
8) The worst part of trail/endurance riding is… BUGS!!
9) I wish we could ride at (where?)… Ireland, Scotland, our land in Colorado, a beach somewhere, maybe Hawaii.
10) My favorite thing to do after a ride is… sit in a comfy chair, eat and have a nice cold non-shaken soda and watching the horses eat hay or grass until we pack up and head home.

DistanceHorse
Oct. 16, 2009, 01:48 AM
1) My favorite place to ride is… Anywhere is fine with me. I particurally like riding up at Allamuchy mountain.
2) My favorite horse to ride is (name/breed/age)… I also have a Luke!
3) I usually ride for (time)… Depends on the day-sometimes an hour, other times 4-5 hours.
4) When I ride, I usually think about…. Sometimes my mind goes blank. Other times I am preoccupied with thoughts of work. Usually I am with my daughter so she and I have marvelous conversations about everything.
5) When we ride, my horse hates it when… He sees a bear.
6) My horse’s favorite part of the trail ride is… Going fast. He loves to fly along. His trot is bigger than most horse's canters!
7) The best part of trail/endurance riding is… Getting back to natureand counting how many different wild animals I see also noticing the wild flowers.
8) The worst part of trail/endurance riding is… having to stop and pee or getting cold feet.
9) I wish we could ride at (where?)… I would really love to go riding in Maine.
I keep missing the rides up there due to unforseen circumstances.
10) My favorite thing to do after a ride is… soak in a hot bath after the horses are back in the field.

Golden Pony
Oct. 16, 2009, 07:28 AM
1) My favorite place to ride is… Wildcat Mountain
2) My favorite horse to ride is (name/breed/age)… Honey, 14.3 Haflinger mare 4yrs. old and my best girlfriend
3) I usually ride for (time)… 2-3 hours, up to 4 if I'm lucky
4) When I ride, I usually think about…. How beautiful nature can be from the back of a horse
5) When we ride, my horse hates it when… She has to walk through mud puddles - she LOVES water, but the Princess hates getting her feet muddy!
6) My horse’s favorite part of the trail ride is… The sweet juicy apple waiting back at the trailer
7) The best part of trail/endurance riding is… Sharing horsey time with my daughter and good friends!
8) The worst part of trail/endurance riding is… Can't think of anything:winkgrin:
9) I wish we could ride at (where?)… The beach - going to do it someday
10) My favorite thing to do after a ride is… Kiss my pony and tell her how much I love her (yeah - hokey I know)

CosMonster
Oct. 27, 2009, 11:02 AM
Okay, I missed this the first time around but it's a fun thread I think. :)

1) My favorite place to ride is… probably the Jemez mountains in New Mexico
2) My favorite horse to ride is (name/breed/age)… All of them :)
3) I usually ride for (time)… as long as I have time for (usually at least an hour a day, 3-4 hours a couple times a week, and 7-10 hours once or twice a month)
4) When I ride, I usually think about…. everything and nothing
5) When we ride, my horse hates it when… depends on the horse...crossing water is one of them (we don't get to do a whole lot of it at home in southern NM)
6) My horse’s favorite part of the trail ride is… taking a grazing break in a nice mountain meadow
7) The best part of trail/endurance riding is… being out alone with just your horse and nature
8) The worst part of trail/endurance riding is… when I think "Oh yeah, I can wear those jeans/underwear/boots on this long ride...I know it killed me last time, but this time it's different."
9) I wish we could ride at (where?)… I want to ride from coast to coast.
10) My favorite thing to do after a ride is… Sit down and have a nice drink while watching the horses eat