PDA

View Full Version : George Morris clinics in California

NCHorseofCourse
Oct. 7, 2009, 02:21 PM
Does anyone have any info on George Morris' California clinics ? I heard the one in Northern California cost over $1,100 for two days ! Holy cow....such a bummer...I keep dreaming of it but at that rate I'll never be able to ride with him :no: Back east a number of his clinics were about $600 for three days. I guess I will have to try to audit this year. I'm in central cali now, so can head north or south. I heard there were a few in the state this winter. Anyone know where they are and the costs?

findeight
Oct. 7, 2009, 02:25 PM
Seems a bit steep, even for GM. But it depends on what it is costing to rent the facility and provide the stalls and equipment so I can see where it might work out to that.

There are a number of excellent clinicians out there that would be a little less and, honestly? Unless I was regularly doing level 5 Jumpers or better or the actual 3'6" Big Eq at USEF AA levels? You don't need GM, just a good clinician...or maybe a whole bunch of lessons for that same 1k?

And you can audit and get great value for the money spent.

BAC
Oct. 7, 2009, 03:22 PM
Don Sachey is in Santa Barbara and does clinics all over the country, many of them in CA. I know he is an eventer (but with a H/J/foxhunting background) but he's such a terrific all around horseman as well as an amazing instructor, that all the hunter/jumper and even high level (FEI level) dressage riders at my barn lesson with him whenever he is in the area. He is a team gold medalist at the World Championships too.

Check out his clinic schedule on his website, www.donsachey.com (http://www.donsachey.com) or if you live in the Santa Barbara area you could lesson with him on a regular basis.

Relative Ease
Oct. 7, 2009, 03:28 PM
Here's the 2009 schedule on his website with the California dates coming up in December: http://www.ghmclinics.com/2009_Schedule.html

ETA: I know that the Fallbrook clinic is $50/day to audit (no reservation required) and the schedule for the 3 days is: 9am- 11am 4ft section; 11am-1pm 3’6” section; and 3ft 2:30pm-4:30pm.

Equus_girl
Oct. 7, 2009, 04:27 PM
We are doing Joe Fargis clinic on North Cali and its $450 for two days :)

RugBug
Oct. 7, 2009, 04:36 PM
Don Sachey is in Santa Barbara and does clinics all over the country, many of them in CA. I know he is an eventer (but with a H/J/foxhunting background) but he's such a terrific all around horseman as well as an amazing instructor, that all the hunter/jumper and even high level (FEI level) dressage riders at my barn lesson with him whenever he is in the area. He is a team gold medalist at the World Championships too.

Check out his clinic schedule on his website, www.donsachey.com (http://www.donsachey.com) or if you live in the Santa Barbara area you could lesson with him on a regular basis.

I know a lot of people like Don, but I tell ya, I'm not a fan. He wasn't my cup of tea at all.... I had regular access to clinics and I did one which was plenty. Maybe it was the one on one setting but he spent more time talking about himself than providing instruction.

NCHorseofCourse
Oct. 7, 2009, 05:42 PM
We are doing Joe Fargis clinic on North Cali and its $450 for two days :)

I tried an internet search and looked on the USHJA site but couldn't find it, would you share where and when this is ? Thanks to everyone. I really feel a bit better now. I was so looking forward to it that I really was quite bummed about the George Morris costs.

Void
Oct. 8, 2009, 12:29 AM
We had Lauren Hough at our barn do an amazing clinic and it was $300 for 2 days. :) We *might* have GM next year, and Lauren Hough for sure!

Equus_girl
Oct. 8, 2009, 12:35 PM
I tried an internet search and looked on the USHJA site but couldn't find it, would you share where and when this is ? Thanks to everyone. I really feel a bit better now. I was so looking forward to it that I really was quite bummed about the George Morris costs.

I have sent you a PM

fourfillies
Oct. 9, 2009, 11:16 AM
I just rode in the GM clinic in MD last weekend. If I were you I'd go audit GM and ride for Joe Fargis. Just my 2 cents.

LovesHorses
Oct. 9, 2009, 10:26 PM
Last yr, the GM clinic at Patty Ball's in December was $750. Can't imagine it went up that much.

susie
Oct. 9, 2009, 10:36 PM
How do you find out about auditing his clinics? When I go on his website there is not much detail.

NCHorseofCourse
Oct. 13, 2009, 03:23 PM
Last yr, the GM clinic at Patty Ball's in December was $750. Can't imagine it went up that much.

The two day clinic is $895 this year, plus $230 for stall, plus $85 if you need shavings rather than straw.

Juniors can have one parent audit for free, all others pay $95 per day to audit.

I found that kind of crazy. There are a number of 3-day George Morris clinics on the east coast that are $650 for the clinic and $50 for the stall. Is Cali just THAT much more expensive ????

Ugh. I better start packing.

:eek:

NCHorseofCourse
Oct. 13, 2009, 03:28 PM
How do you find out about auditing his clinics? When I go on his website there is not much detail.

Contact the individual trainers hosting the clinic. I found I can fly to San Diego and pay to attend that clinic for less than just the cost of auditing at the Sacramento clinic !:lol: