PDA

View Full Version : Is this even a word???

nlk
Oct. 7, 2009, 01:16 PM
So everyime I write an ad I always get stuck on this and end up re wording it~
Everyone uses scope as in "Wow that horse has a lot of scope" and I usually re word to some variation of that but I ALWAYS want to use

"Scopey"

I know we all use it in daily conversation (well Daily as in barn daily) BUT how do you spell it and is it actually a word???????:lol:

SkipChange
Oct. 7, 2009, 01:21 PM
Well I don't think there is a dictionary definition for "scopey" but it seems to be used pretty commonly and accepted as a word. "Scope" is most certainly a real word so if you want to be safe you could just stick to using scope instead of scopey.

SillyHorse
Oct. 7, 2009, 01:22 PM
When you're writing an ad for a sale horse, using "scopey" is just fine because, whether Webster's thinks it's a real word or not, anyone reading your ad will know exactly what you mean, and that's what you want.

jumpingmaya
Oct. 7, 2009, 01:27 PM
Haha... my first reaction was of course it's a word... I use it on a daily basis :eek:
Yea well not so much... I'd probably try to state that the horse has a lot of scope/plenty of scope... but if I had to spell it: it would be scopey too..
I think you should be find either way- most "horse people" (if not all) know what scopey is... Best of luck!! :)

nlk
Oct. 7, 2009, 02:07 PM
Thanks everyone!!! Makes me feel better!

superpony123
Oct. 7, 2009, 02:52 PM
scopey is a word in horse world. merriam-webster does not think plenty of words are.. well.. words. when i'm typing up lab reports for my AP bio class, microsoft word usually underlines a lot of official scientific terms in the red dotted line. Well, sorry microsoft word, but Campbell and Reece (ap biology bible) says this is indeed a word :lol: so, you know. it happens for everything i guess. definitely for a lot of horse terms. no, they're not all *real* words..but we all know them, so it's close enough

NeverEnd
Oct. 7, 2009, 03:39 PM
...or you could sound fancy and say "he has superior bascule" :winkgrin:

Thomas_1
Oct. 7, 2009, 03:54 PM
Scope is a word. It means opportunity to function.

But scopey isn't.

Well not in England anyway

nlk
Oct. 7, 2009, 05:06 PM
I will keep the Bascule in mind:lol:

I must clarify that I realize that "scope" is a word (hence Scope mouth wash!:D among others but I always think of that! )

It was the Scope'y' that always made me wonder if it was just horse language or what:D as well as a suggested spelling. I do not have superior spelling so I ALWAYS have to question when something looks not quiet right!

Thanks for the help with my ad writing!

Lkramer
Oct. 7, 2009, 09:08 PM
I think it's the same as saying you have a "green" horse and think everyone speaks our language. Non-horse people would wonder why on earth your horse is green!

Serah
Oct. 7, 2009, 09:29 PM
Hey maybe it could be a good filter... if the person answering your ad doesn't know what "scopey" means you could ask them to have their trainer contact you :) !!

Chances are, if they don't know what "scopey" is, you are dealing with a novice.

Fixerupper
Oct. 7, 2009, 09:52 PM
Ha...these days the 'dictionary' catches up with 'popular usage' rather than vice versa :lol:
However it makes me somewhat crazy when newbie horse folks complain about language in the horse world that has been around longer than they have been :cool:
I have, for many years, been fascinated and charmed by archaic language in the horse world (do you know what distaff means?).

If you don't get it...admit it, learn it or get over it....

DancingQueen
Oct. 7, 2009, 10:24 PM
I concur, scope is a word. Scopey is merely the adjectivisation (is that a word btw?) of the word scope. I use scopey all the time, most everybody knows it to mean a horse that has the ability to jump bigger jumps. Depending on your market this can mean anything between 4-6ft jumps.

I did once get an explenation from a freejumping judge at the stallion tests back home. He said, we will use scopey in our notes if a stallion showes himself in a manner that makes us believe he can comfortably jump a 6ft fence if it was presented to him in an inviting way.

I think this is a pretty good definition of the word but I also think scopey is an adjective that can also be used in relation to the level the horse is at.

You might sell a scopey childrens jumper. IMO what you are saying is that this horse is a great childrens jumper but he has enough talent or physical ability to bail you out by leaving it long if that's how you see it rather then correcting you with a chip. Could poissibly go higher with a very accurate ride.

This is my take on it.

andy.smaga
Oct. 8, 2009, 03:40 PM
In my very limited English "horse"vocabulary, I thought "a horse with a lot of scope" mean that the horse can clear large oxers or large "river".
In french we use "trajectoire" for that definition and "force" for the ability to jump high. (strength or power in English??)
Please help me get right!

jumpingmaya
Oct. 8, 2009, 04:29 PM
In my very limited English "horse"vocabulary, I thought "a horse with a lot of scope" mean that the horse can clear large oxers or large "river".
In french we use "trajectoire" for that definition and "force" for the ability to jump high. (strength or power in English??)
Please help me get right!

A horse with a "lot of scope" is mostly one that has the ability to do a job at higher levels with the ability to bail the rider out - just like DancingQueen said... I wouldn't think a horse that does the 2" classes to be scopey... even if he can bail a kid that is riding backwords. When looking at the level 5-6 +, a horse that can clear the fence with plenty of room to spare, tight knees, etc... that's my definiton of scope :) Or one that throws you out of the tack over a cross rail by jumping the standard :lol:

Where are you from by the way?? Trajectoire the way I use to hear it was a width thing... but scope takes in consideration both "trajectoire" and "force" in my opinion... wouldn't exactly consider myself a pro at "horse terminology" though so correct me if I'm wrong :yes:

Just saw that you are in Paris- I grew up riding in Lamorlaye...

IrishWillow
Oct. 8, 2009, 04:51 PM
If "bling" is in the dictionary.. then, yeah, "Scopey" is a word! :lol:

andy.smaga
Oct. 9, 2009, 03:35 AM
Just saw that you are in Paris- I grew up riding in Lamorlaye...
World is really small!
My cousin trains TBs in Lamorlaye.
Thank you for the explanation.