PDA

View Full Version : Slipping Saddle & No Wither'd Pony

RxCate
Oct. 7, 2009, 12:48 PM
So we have this very cute Quarab pony mare that I have recently broken and am working on flatwork with.

She is a fairly decent mover and has the best mind... But absolutely no wither.. like, completely flat.

I use a breast plate, but my saddle doesn't slip back, it slips forward. Is there anything we can use, other than a croup strap (I would think that would be icky in the show ring) to help keep the saddle in place?

SkipChange
Oct. 7, 2009, 12:54 PM
I'm sure you will get dozens of posts saying "get a saddle that fits" so brace yourself for that. A well fitting saddle shouldn't slip.

You can buy a "no slip" pad and put under your saddle pad (available at many tack stores). There is also the damp chamois under the saddle pad method. If you do a search you will find people posting about pads to keep a saddle from slipping back, these very same pads should help keep it from slipping forward as well. You might check that the breastplate isn't on too tight and pulling it forward.

skrgirl
Oct. 7, 2009, 12:56 PM
No slip pad and neoprene professional choice (or Dover off brand one that is just as good at half the price) girth.

Croupers are legal in the show ring, but yes, maybe not something you want to use. I would say they are about equal as a breast collar.

RxCate
Oct. 7, 2009, 12:57 PM
Saddle fits well - have to use mine or the owner's as she is for sale, and they aren't the type of people to buy a new saddle for each horse - It definitely isn't pinching or leaving rubs though so it fits okay, just slips -

Am looking into the non-slip pad and the breastplate is definitely loose enough , I just have it on as a precaution - though it's not doing much if the saddle slips forward ;)

SkipChange
Oct. 7, 2009, 01:04 PM
Saddle fits well - have to use mine or the owner's as she is for sale, and they aren't the type of people to buy a new saddle for each horse - It definitely isn't pinching or leaving rubs though so it fits okay, just slips -

Am looking into the non-slip pad and the breastplate is definitely loose enough , I just have it on as a precaution - though it's not doing much if the saddle slips forward ;)

Awesome, I'm not the type to buy a new saddle for every horse either if it's not obviously pinching or rubbing. Here's the no slip pad we used on my old jumper http://www.123tack.com/nunn-finer-no-slip-pad.html?productid=nunn-finer-no-slip-pad&channelid=FROOG One bad thing about them is they do build up some heat and sweat considerably under these pads. The damp chamois under the pad shouldn't build up too much heat, I remember a recent thread someone mentioned thats what they used on their race horses.