PDA

View Full Version : Short Hunter Hair

Wonders12
Oct. 7, 2009, 11:52 AM
Please don't kill me! I did search and read previous threads, but I still need help.

My hair is long (like below my bra strap) and has always been long. I'm fine with doing hunter hair, use a hairnet (or two), etc. No problem there.

However... I've decided to donate my hair and I'm scared out of my mind! :eek: In my day-to-day life it's always slicked back in a pony tail so I figure if I'm not using it to its full advantage, I should at least let someone else put it to better use. :yes:

So now I have a huge problem... I start showing 3 weeks from when I get it cut (this Saturday) so whatever cut I get needs to be hunter hair friendly. Here's where it gets really complicated: my hair is VERY fine. The past suggestions have been great, but I don't know if they would work for fine, straight hair.

Help! If i can't figure this out, I might back out because I'm that much of a baby. But I really don't want do that.

Trixie
Oct. 7, 2009, 12:37 PM
When mine was short I just layered a few of the heavy hairnets on and it looked the same. I could still pull pieces over my ears, though, just not secure them in the back.

Other people have some rather special techniques involving pantyhose. Heaven help me if Mr. Trixie ever catches me doing that, lord knows hairnets and ear patties are hard enough to explain without explaining why you're wrapping pantyhose around your head... but it does work.

Personal Champ
Oct. 7, 2009, 12:43 PM
I too have short, fine hair. My hair is about 3 inches long at its longest point.

Here's what I do. I went to Wally World and picked up a headband, made by Goody, but any will do. Match it to your hair color, as close as can be. I put that on, use it to slick back my bangs, and leave it over the tops of my ears, a-la hunter hair. Put 2 hairnets on - the thick ones - and you are ready to rock. I tuck the hairnets under the edge of the headband, rolling like, for extra bulk.

I am sure some will come on and say that the headband doesn't give you the "ear-bulk" like actual hair does, and that is true. However, even with ponytail length hair, mine was too fine to get that look like the others, so this to me is the next best thing.

luvs2ridewbs
Oct. 7, 2009, 12:48 PM
Personal Champ, do you have a photo of what the end product looks like?

Sing Mia Song
Oct. 7, 2009, 05:05 PM
Are you asking for advice on what sort of haircut to get, or how to put it up?

I'm a veteran of short hunter hair (and my hair is also very fine), and the easiest cut to put in a hairnet is an A-line bob--to between the jawbone and the chin in length in front, and to the hairline in back. This gives you long enough hair in front to cover your ears, but you won't have to actually put it in a ponytail. Just smooth the front toward the back oer your ears and put on a couple hairnets to hold it in place.

This cut will be easy for donating, too--just do a loose, low ponytail covering the ears and have the hairdresser cut it off right above the elastic. You'll still have the hair you need for the A-line bob.

And if you are still worried about hunter hair...:D

http://www.chronicleforums.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=31913

AppendixQHLover
Oct. 7, 2009, 05:08 PM
I just chopped off 5 inches of hair and it is still shoulder length. That was pretty tragic for myself. My head feels wonderfully light and it is not so hot. I am going to put the nub in a pony tail and use lots of hairnets and bobby pins. My hair is fine also so I never had the full look over the ears.

Wonders12
Oct. 7, 2009, 05:45 PM
Even with long hair I don't have that "full ear" look, so I don't really care about that. :D

And I'm looking for advice on a haircut that I can put up. I have no idea what kind of cut to get since I've NEVER had short hair. I was thinking about the A-line for all the same you said, but I'm concerned that it might be to drastic for me.

Thoughts? Ideas?

And Personal Champ, I agree that I would love to see a picture.

llsc
Oct. 7, 2009, 06:04 PM
Are you asking for advice on what sort of haircut to get, or how to put it up?

I'm a veteran of short hunter hair (and my hair is also very fine), and the easiest cut to put in a hairnet is an A-line bob--to between the jawbone and the chin in length in front, and to the hairline in back. This gives you long enough hair in front to cover your ears, but you won't have to actually put it in a ponytail. Just smooth the front toward the back oer your ears and put on a couple hairnets to hold it in place.

This cut will be easy for donating, too--just do a loose, low ponytail covering the ears and have the hairdresser cut it off right above the elastic. You'll still have the hair you need for the A-line bob.

And if you are still worried about hunter hair...:D

http://www.chronicleforums.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=31913

Yep. I used to be a hairdresser and that would be my advice too. Here's a picture of the cut. You can do it with or without bangs and it is a great cut for fine hair.

http://www.hairfinder.com/celebrityhair/holmes-cruise2.jpg

snaffle635
Oct. 7, 2009, 06:06 PM
Agree with Sing Mia Song and wanted to add...bobby pins are your friends. I use about 7. Two to hold the end of the hairnet against my head, two behind each ear to keep the hair and hairnet over my ear, and one at the base of the hairnet where a ponytail would be.

rockfordbuckeye
Oct. 7, 2009, 07:12 PM
Has anyone attempted to show withOUT hunter hair? What happens? Do they sound the alarm and ask you to leave the ring? Has anyone ever actually been scored lower for it? Just curious..

hellerkm
Oct. 7, 2009, 08:01 PM
Yep. I used to be a hairdresser and that would be my advice too. Here's a picture of the cut. You can do it with or without bangs and it is a great cut for fine hair.

http://www.hairfinder.com/celebrityhair/holmes-cruise2.jpg
Are you kidding me?? can you cut my hair like that the next time I see you??? I trust NO ONE with my hair LOL!!!

fourmares
Oct. 8, 2009, 12:29 AM
OH yes, if you go in the ring without hunter hair, first there is a collective gasp, then a hush falls over the ring as everyone waits for the judge to push the sercet eject button that is kept under his desk just for that purpose. It makes a horrific buzzing noise and your horse gets a big electric shock which will cause all but the best of riders to be bucked off on the spot... Only the best of riders on the most trustworthy of horses should dare attempt to set foot in the hunter arena without hunter hair.

Pfft!!! Hunter hair looks stupid anyways. The OP might need to check the fit of her helmet once she has her hair cut. It might be too big.

Wonders12
Oct. 8, 2009, 02:53 AM
Haha... I know I won't die, but I am a traditionalist and feel that it's just part of turn out. The same reason I don't put horses in neon saddle pads. I could, but don't want to.

And my helmet fits fine with my hair up or down. It really is that fine.

Any more haircut suggestions are definitely welcome. I'm warming up the A-line idea but I'm still worried about it being too much of a shock to my naked neck :D

Personal Champ
Oct. 8, 2009, 08:26 AM
Here are a couple, no critiquing the rider other than hair!! :lol:

Sorry they aren't closer up, I don't have any really of my face. I can try to get some this weekend if I remember.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=-3&id=1107968039#/photo.php?pid=30347067&id=1107968039

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=-3&id=1107968039#/photo.php?pid=30347067&id=1107968039

JinxyFish313
Oct. 8, 2009, 10:27 AM
I have longish hair, the back is about bra level, but the front is angled and pretty thin, so I don't have the "full" look over the ears. I just cover less ear with it. I put the hair just over the top third to half of the ear and use pins in front of and behind the ear to keep it in place since that hair barely reaches the pony tail holder.

Why don't you just go shoulder length? Thats usually enough to flatten it over your ears and put it in a pony tail, then flip the pony tail flat against the back/top of your head and on goes the helmet. That way you get to donate plenty of hair without really dramatically changing your look.

Mav226
Oct. 8, 2009, 10:44 AM
How much do you have to cut?

If you did a cut like this one, you could still have enough length to sort of do hunter hair: http://www.celebrityhairstylesnews.com/shorthairstyles/jennymccarthy.jpg

Wonders12
Oct. 8, 2009, 11:44 AM
Personal Champ: The pics didn't show up for me

I told them I would cut 7 inches (minimum is 6) because I'm a scardy cat. I can cut a foot and still have enough for a pony tail. So it will probably be between 10 and 14 inches.

copper1
Oct. 9, 2009, 06:49 AM
When I turned 40 I decided my hair would be cut and remain short since I didn't want to be one of those old ladies with the long hair that drags their faces down! Anyhow, my hair has stayed short-very short with not anything to pull back. I just plunk my helmet on and off I go. When I take it off, a quick finger comb and good to go. amazingly, having short hair has not affected any placings in the show ring, in fact, have beaten riders with hunter hair!

rockfordbuckeye
Oct. 9, 2009, 08:41 AM
having short hair has not affected any placings in the show ring, in fact, have beaten riders with hunter hair!

Just as I suspected :) So, why does everyone put themselves through the hunter hair? Some traditions are great but some are just silly for today's "modern woman" and besides - what about men?

Trixie
Oct. 9, 2009, 09:25 AM
Just as I suspected So, why does everyone put themselves through the hunter hair? Some traditions are great but some are just silly for today's "modern woman" and besides - what about men?

I like how it keeps my (shoulder length, layeredish) hair out of my face. Plus, I think it looks really tidy and put together, it's part of the picture. Lots of traditions in the hunter word are silly for today's "modern woman" - braiding on the right? Heck, what about hunt coats and choker collars?

If you don't like it, don't do it. The rest of us will point and laugh from the rail (just kidding!). :winkgrin:

WorthTheWait95
Oct. 9, 2009, 09:37 AM
Just as I suspected :) So, why does everyone put themselves through the hunter hair? Some traditions are great but some are just silly for today's "modern woman" and besides - what about men?

I used to ride with a boy when I was with Hunterdon who had to wear a hairnet when he rode per GM's request. :lol: He had longish, curly hair and it flopped when he rode without one.

I do hunter hair b/c I don't like the look of a ponytail trailing out under my helmet. I think it's untidy and it's not traditional. At home I don't bother with true hunter hair, I just pull my hair back in a pony and flip it up under my helmet with no net but true hunter hair literally only takes me 30 seconds and one hairnet to do so why not look as neat and tidy as possible?