PDA

View Full Version : oh my - all seven judges at Region 9 Champ. are FEI

SGray
Oct. 7, 2009, 11:22 AM
Judges: Elizabeth McMullen FEI "O" (Algrave, ON), Linda Zang FEI "O" (Davidsonville, MD), Gabriel Armando FEI "I"-ARG (Ringoes, NJ), Marian Cunningham FEI "I"-Peru (Aldie, VA), Hilda Gurney FEI "I" (Moorpark, CA), Lorraine MacDonald FEI "I" (Caledon, ON), Brenda Minor FEI "C" (Erin, ON), TBA

That's for USDF Region 9 Championships, Southwest Dressage Assoc. Championships and Houston Dressage Society Open show

Jeannette, formerly ponygyrl
Oct. 7, 2009, 11:42 AM
cool! I like riding for the big letter judges.

gotabuk
Oct. 7, 2009, 11:53 AM
Me too!

I always like to see what the big letter judges think of my boy! :D

goeslikestink
Oct. 7, 2009, 04:30 PM
Judges: Elizabeth McMullen FEI "O" (Algrave, ON), Linda Zang FEI "O" (Davidsonville, MD), Gabriel Armando FEI "I"-ARG (Ringoes, NJ), Marian Cunningham FEI "I"-Peru (Aldie, VA), Hilda Gurney FEI "I" (Moorpark, CA), Lorraine MacDonald FEI "I" (Caledon, ON), Brenda Minor FEI "C" (Erin, ON), TBA

That's for USDF Region 9 Championships, Southwest Dressage Assoc. Championships and Houston Dressage Society Open show

matey win or lose -- its well worth the expreince
have great time out -- and relish it

SGray
Oct. 7, 2009, 04:54 PM
I think it will be a very interesting show -- now just praying for good weather (today it is almost 90 degrees with equal humidity - ugh)

Zydeco Sport Horses
Oct. 7, 2009, 05:19 PM
Hi SGray,

My family, trainer and I will be there from LA with two young horses--one for the Championships and the other for the open show. The judges' slate is quite impressive.

Wondering if you can clarify something I saw on the prize list--will none of the championship classes be held under cover this year? Wasn't clear as to whether or not they would still have a couple of rings going under cover or if all will be outdoors. Surely praying for dry weather if that is the case and yes, cooler :cool: and less humid would be nice too--our current temp is only 84 but the humidity brings the heat index up to 92--yuck!

Looking forward to Saturday night's Freestyle. :yes:

Any other COTHers planning to be there??

Terri Chabaud

SGray
Oct. 7, 2009, 05:23 PM
from reading that clause in the prize list, my guess is that they will hold swdc champs and/or open in main arena with two rings and the gaig champs in another ring (maybe the new covered ring in the back?) -- but it's just a guess

to be sure you'd need to contact Susan P or Ed L (secretary or manager)

SGray
Oct. 7, 2009, 05:24 PM
Hi SGray,

My family, trainer and I will be there from LA with two young horses--one for the Championships and the other for the open show. The judges' slate is quite impressive.

Any other COTHers planning to be there??

Terri Chabaud

and I hope you have a great time at the show! good luck!

mjhco
Oct. 7, 2009, 05:29 PM
What a wonderful opportunity!

cyriz's mom
Oct. 7, 2009, 07:53 PM
We'll be there with Sea Accounts (Region 9 2nd & 3rd levels, SWDC 2nd & 3rd levels), Zupa (Region 9 Training, SWDC Training and 1st - client horse) and Deimos (Region 9 & SWDC PSG with his Ammy owner). Cyriz and Zupa will be shown by Emilee Reed.

We are really looking forward to it!

Hope any COTHers stop by to say "hi" and meet Cyriz.

slc2
Oct. 7, 2009, 08:29 PM
Kassimort's cousin may be haunting this thread soon.

horsegalriding
Oct. 7, 2009, 08:38 PM
We will be there (God willing and the creek don't rise) contesting the "Extreme Freestyle" with Teodoro's Hechizo (King). I hope he remembers it!

Zydeco Sport Horses
Oct. 8, 2009, 06:36 AM
Thanks SGray for the insight--the arena issue won't change our plans to go--I was just curious, though hopeful that many of the classes will be out of the weather for obvious reasons! Will you be riding/attending?

C's Mom, I'll definitely look for you and hope to get to see your lovely boy go in one of his championship classes. :D My daughter Kathryn will be riding Zydeco ZSH (Reg 9 and SWDC--Training/Jr/YR). Our trainer, Sophia Wijnbergen-Lusthuis will be riding Zinnia ZSH (Open show training).

Horsegal, best of luck to you and King in the Freestyle! We are looking forward to a fun evening--HDS does throw a fun party. :yes:

SGray
Oct. 8, 2009, 09:46 AM
ya'll make sure and post your ride times/rings for us so we can try to see them

CatOnLap
Oct. 8, 2009, 09:55 AM
cool. 3 Canadians.
Libby and Lorraine are both lovely. I don't know Brenda.
Have fun!

flshgordon
Oct. 8, 2009, 12:06 PM
Zydeco, I'd bet the GAIG champ classes will be in the newer covered arena at the back if I had to guess. I have had one GAIG champ class out there before anyway. They may not all be in there, schedule allowing but I would think the bulk would be there. Maybe some of the lower level champs will be in the first outdoor instead.

I believe there were some complaints before of the 2 arenas inside although I've never seen it cause a problem.

Bronte
Oct. 8, 2009, 12:19 PM
cool. 3 Canadians.
Libby and Lorraine are both lovely. I don't know Brenda.
Have fun!

Brenda is great, terrific sense of humour, and as with Lib & Lorraine, all for the horse!

cyriz's mom
Oct. 8, 2009, 06:42 PM
The reason for the change on the arenas is that USDF won't let HDS host the Championships again with the two arenas side-by-side, so they are trying something different.

Bethe Mounce
Oct. 9, 2009, 03:46 PM
I will be there on Sat to watch and possibly see the Sat nite activities. Flying in from California to take care of farm in College Station. Looking forward to seeing old friends.

SGray
Oct. 9, 2009, 04:00 PM
http://www.houstondressagesociety.org/hds-files/2009ChampPrizeListupdate7.pdf

Special Note to Competitors: All 2009 GAIG/USDF Region 9 Championship rides will be scheduled in arenas other than the Main Arena as a test run for 2010 GAIG/USDF Region 9 Championships due to the recommendation by the USDF Regional Championship Oversight Committee and subsequent vote by the Executive Board of USDF (which made it a requirement) that HDS could only host the 2010 GAIG/USDF Championships with the stipulation that GAIG championship rides could not take place in the Main Arena with side-by-side dressage arenas. Competitor Surveys for feedback will be provided.

gotta say 'wow' to taking it all the way to usdf executive board

as with flshgordon I've never seen/heard of the two rings in the main arena causing a problem but I guess someone must have been very upset

ESG
Oct. 9, 2009, 08:21 PM
Interesting. The two side-by-side arenas have been extant at championships for twenty years. But because someone apparently got his/her knickers in a twist, that's not happening now?!?!?

Kee-rist. Dressage divas strike again. :rolleyes:

jcotton
Oct. 10, 2009, 03:26 PM
Because many only ride by their self in a rectangle and a horse in the neighboring arena is distracting? Not too mention downright scary!

Heaven forbid they take their dressage horse out on a trail ride or go for a gallop in a 40-100 acres hay field. Or ride their movements of their test in the hay field.

My guy enjoys working in the hay field. Perhaps he doesn't think shoulder in/haunches-in/renvers going on forever and uphill is so much fun but it is great for his appreciation on a 60 meter length.
Variety is great for training. Doesn't mean dressage is done only in a 20 X 60 meter arena.

As posted before, somebody got their panties in a wad.

narcisco
Oct. 10, 2009, 04:24 PM
I know there is often confusion over the bells and whistles...

dressurpferd01
Oct. 10, 2009, 08:37 PM
We'll be there with 6 horses, well, 5 horses and a pony. It'll be quite interesting to see how all these I and O judges score. Never ridden under any of them before. Rode under Janet Foy last year at GAIG, and found her to be pretty fair. Rewarded good things, punished the bad ones. The only two I really know of are Zang and Gurney. Will definitely be an interesting show...

jcotton
Oct. 10, 2009, 08:45 PM
Signs are posted,usually, at the entry, as well as the gate keeper if asked, will tell you what ring each has--whistle or bell-- as to which arena is whistle or bell.

Don't be listening for Ring 3 or Ring 4 and Ring 5, (if used) when you are in ring 1 or 2.
For me, personally, I school up near "C" then when I hear the bell or whistle I get to A and re-enter.

K Bayo
Oct. 10, 2009, 10:19 PM
We'll be there with 6 horses, well, 5 horses and a pony. It'll be quite interesting to see how all these I and O judges score. Never ridden under any of them before. Rode under Janet Foy last year at GAIG, and found her to be pretty fair. Rewarded good things, punished the bad ones. The only two I really know of are Zang and Gurney. Will definitely be an interesting show...

Who are the other "I"s besides the Canadians?

Lambie Boat
Oct. 10, 2009, 10:26 PM
tip: wear your jacket. no matter how hot it is, no matter if jackets are waived, ride your test wearing your jacket.

Lucky to have such experienced judges. Enjoy!

dressurpferd01
Oct. 11, 2009, 11:30 AM

That's 4 I judges there.

Zevida
Oct. 11, 2009, 12:38 PM
tip: wear your jacket. no matter how hot it is, no matter if jackets are waived, ride your test wearing your jacket.

That is absurd and unhealthy advise. If jackets are waived due to heat and a judge penalized me for not wearing my jacket, I'd raise holy hell with the show management and USEF. Waiving jackets is for safety and you don't look "tough" when you still wear it in 100 degrees, you just look stupid.

Bethe Mounce
Oct. 11, 2009, 02:25 PM
If jackets are waived, it becomes a choice by the rider to ride or without. There are some diehards out there who wear one ALL the time. Weather in Texas at the end of Oct is iffy...could be 100+ degrees or 50. Please let it be in the 50's! :-) I don't believe the poster who recommended wearing jackets meant to imply at the expense of the riders' health. A well tailored jacket does add to the first impression. At championships I always ride with my jacket--put on at the last possible minute if weather dictates. I will never forget the one time I arrived at championships, it was 90 degrees, within 4-6 hrs the temps dipped into the 40's. A jacket was most welcome! :-)

slc2
Oct. 11, 2009, 04:47 PM
I don't think the judges are so biased that they score someone differently if they remove their coat when coats are waived.

K Bayo
Oct. 11, 2009, 06:00 PM
That's 4 I judges there.

Thanks dressurpferd

dressurpferd01
Oct. 11, 2009, 10:51 PM
No problemo...

Bethe Mounce
Oct. 12, 2009, 01:28 AM
Warmup normally dictates what kind of test I can expect from what is under my fanny at that given moment in time; I usually know before I go down centerline whether the test is going to suck or not. If it is going to suck eggs, then I am going to look good doing badly therefore I wear my jacket, plus mine has alot of sentimental value attached to it. No one else in the dressage community has one like it. I like to make a good first impression whether a judge notices or not.

SGray
Oct. 12, 2009, 09:38 AM
That's 4 I judges there.

2 International Championship i.e. 'Olympic' "O"
4 senior FEI (= an S at national level) "I"
1 'candidate FEI' (= R at national level) "C"

= seven FEI judges

K Bayo
Oct. 12, 2009, 04:41 PM
I thought that an FEI "C" judge was an S judge i.e. judging up to Grand Prix. You have to be an S judge before you can be an FEI one.

K Bayo
Oct. 12, 2009, 04:45 PM
I thought that an FEI "C" judge was an S judge i.e. judging up to Grand Prix. You have to be an S judge before you can be an FEI one.
O=Official
I=International
C=Candidate for International
but now I think they go by stars

SGray
Oct. 12, 2009, 04:47 PM
progression (lower levels U.S. system only)

L - learner (can judge schooling shows in many areas)
r - can judge through 2nd
R - can judge through 4th
S - can judge through GP

National Federations then nominate from their S judges to the FEI
C - candidate
I - international
O - international championships/olympics

SGray
Oct. 12, 2009, 04:56 PM
so you got me - it's 6 FEI and one FEI candidate

SGray
Oct. 12, 2009, 05:24 PM
FEI ratings
*** (3 star) = candidate
**** (4 star) = international
***** (5 star) = championship/olympic

SGray
Oct. 12, 2009, 05:32 PM
in case you ever wondered - the list of FEI Dressage Officials can be found here

http://www.fei.org/Disciplines/Dressage/Officials/Documents/Dressage_officials.pdf

cyriz's mom
Oct. 12, 2009, 06:41 PM
JUDGES
Elizabeth McMullen FEI “O” (Algrave, ON),
Linda Zang FEI “O” (Davidsonville, MD),
Gabriel Armando FEI “I”-ARG (Ringoes, NJ),
Marian Cunningham FEI “I”-Peru (Aldie, VA),
Hilda Gurney FEI “I” (Moorpark, CA),
Lorraine MacDonald FEI “I” (Caledon, ON),
Brenda Minor FEI “C” (Erin, ON),
Tracey Lert, "S" (Soquel, CA),
Alexandra Howard, "S" (Freedom, CA)

And ride times are posted at www.showsecretary.com

flshgordon
Oct. 12, 2009, 10:12 PM
Curious if anyone in the area has heard rumor of who the "complainees" are...is it someone from out of town? After reading the new HDS newsletter and finding out that because of this shows will be changing big time. (i.e. days will become a lot longer, they will start limiting entries, stop holding qualifying shows-young/developing horse, High performance, etc) it's kind of scary that a few whiney people could have changed the shows here forever. Now HDS has to pay the same $$$ for the giant indoor and can only have one ring in it. They will have to shell out extra money to secure another arena and you can guess who will be paying for that--US! Have shown in that ring too many times to count (some on a 4yo for heaven's sake!) and I have never had (nor have I seen anyone else have) a problem with the two rings. When there are freestyles, they don't run the other ring or they use another ring. How can the USDF committee have ruled this a valid complaint?

I hope the people who brought this on are happy with their horses who can't be ridden near any others. Wonder how they make it through the warmup arena. :no: :no: :no:

http://www.houstondressagesociety.org/hds-files/2009ChampPrizeListupdate7.pdf

Special Note to Competitors: All 2009 GAIG/USDF Region 9 Championship rides will be scheduled in arenas other than the Main Arena as a test run for 2010 GAIG/USDF Region 9 Championships due to the recommendation by the USDF Regional Championship Oversight Committee and subsequent vote by the Executive Board of USDF (which made it a requirement) that HDS could only host the 2010 GAIG/USDF Championships with the stipulation that GAIG championship rides could not take place in the Main Arena with side-by-side dressage arenas. Competitor Surveys for feedback will be provided.

gotta say 'wow' to taking it all the way to usdf executive board

as with flshgordon I've never seen/heard of the two rings in the main arena causing a problem but I guess someone must have been very upset

K Bayo
Oct. 12, 2009, 11:12 PM
An FEI "C" judge is already an FEI judge and not an "R" = .
So... you have 7 (seven) FEI judges which is what you originally said.

Zydeco Sport Horses
Oct. 13, 2009, 07:20 AM
I am excited about this judging lineup. Having just come off some shows where the flavor of the day was very 'vanilla', I look forward to seeing 'more shades of gray' in a group of judges with these credentials.

SGray, sorry I derailed your topic somewhat with my question about show set up. Flash, I am very happy that they will provide forms for feedback. I was surprised to see that the show was 'oversubscribed' given economy, but apparently that is one effect of this change. I sent my entries in on the deadline (some family health issues that I wanted to resolve before the trip), so admittedly, I was late to the table. The mare that I am bringing for the open show is only entered in three classes instead of the four I requested which is a disappointment, but not a deal breaker for attending future shows. According to the site there are 25+ riders wait-listed for the open show. This will only be our third time to attend, but I will definitely be filling out the form and giving feedback. I hope everyone takes that opportunity. . . By the way, in my two previous visits, I haven't seen a problem with the side by side indoors, but the warmup! :eek: Ooh la la--now as an owner with my Jr. daughter riding that did worry me--it has been less of an issue as she became more capable though!

SGray
Oct. 13, 2009, 09:51 AM
An FEI "C" judge is already an FEI judge and not an "R" = .
So... you have 7 (seven) FEI judges which is what you originally said.

I was just trying to explain the progression to those unfamilar -- not that a C=R but that a C in FEI is like an r in USEF

Pony Fixer
Oct. 13, 2009, 10:16 AM
Just FYI regarding ring set up. It is not necessarily *your* show for which the rule has recently been changed. We have a show here in NC with 2 rings side by side in an indoor coliseum, and while it does not bother some people/horses, it does greatly affect others. I'm not sure of the exact logistics of your set up, as it compares to the venue I'm talking about. For instance, at the venue here the rings are so close that they are up against the coliseum walls on the interior, 2.5 m apart (between) the rings, and you therefore have to enter at C, travel through the actual ring to exit at A, and then enter at A for the actual test. Obviously this is awkward for some. Not sure how your set up is, but you may be "casualties" of the rule change that was intended to deal with other situations. At other shows I have attended (Pinehurst, NC and Morven Park, VA) there are always 3-4 rings next to each other, separated by probably 15 meters or so, and while there is occasional "bell" "whistle" "bike horn" confusion, it pretty much runs smoothly.

DR 126 1.f.8
(8) It is recommended that arenas be separated from the public (people, horses and other activities) by a distance of not less than 15 meters, with a minimum allowed distance at any point around the arena of 3 meters. For indoor competitions, the recommended minimum distance from the public is 3 meters, with a minimum allowed distance at any point around the arena of 1.5 meters. For Level 1 and Level 2 competitions, where tall solid walls preclude public access or visibility, arenas are exempt from this requirement. Indoor and outdoor arenas must be separated by a minimum of 5 meters at Level 3-5 competitions and 2 meters at Level 1-2 competitions.
DR 126 1.f.11
(11) Entry and exit must be at “A” for Level 4-5 competitions. For Level 1-3 competitions: If competitors enter and exit at any location other than “A”, the arena fence must be completely closed for the duration of the ride. BOD 1/18/09 Effective 12/1/09

Lambie Boat
Oct. 13, 2009, 01:29 PM
I don't think the judges are so biased that they score someone differently if they remove their coat when coats are waived.

you sure learn a LOT when you scribe

SGray
Oct. 13, 2009, 02:35 PM
from the newsletter
http://www.houstondressagesociety.org/hds-files/HDS%20Newsletter_Oct%202009.pdf

What does this mean for you as a competitor?

As a result of the new rule change coming into play, USDF requested that we not have Championship Classes in the main indoor arena at the 2009 Championships. Those classes will all occur in the rear covered arena or in the two outdoor arenas, rain or shine. We will have a survey in your competitor packet for you to weigh in on how you feel about this set up.

In 2010, the single arena in the main indoor arena will have USDF Championship Classes.

Since HDS will only be able to have one arena in the main indoor, HDS will have to assess what changes will be made to the shows in order to make them viable. This may mean that we start the shows early and go later into the evening to make up for the lost ring, it may mean charging more and allowing fewer competitors into the show (especially on Sunday when we can’t run late), it may mean dropping one show as a qualifier so that we can still indoor arena (most likely the January Show to keep all 3 rings under cover), or it may mean that we addhave two arenas in the main a 3 outdoor arena at the Spring Classic and/or 2010 Championships and eliminate much needed warm up.

I would really appreciate it if you would share your thoughts with me - unquote

Bronte
Oct. 13, 2009, 04:06 PM
you sure learn a LOT when you scribe

It's not that judges are biased about who wears a coat and who does not ~ it's what a coat can hide, and coatless shows off, that can make a difference....:yes:

Atheta21
Oct. 15, 2009, 10:20 PM
FYI:
The USDF or EF or is about to pass a rule with very strict guidelines to arenas at recognized shows. For instance, show arenas MUST be XXX feet away from the rail and XXX away from the audience. Ok, not a big deal but the BIG deal is that you must be able to warm up AROUND the arena. So, all the little shows that support all the big shows will disappear. How sad.
If you are in Region 9, this means NO Windy Knoll, NO Topsider, Las Colinas will have issues with their indoor arenas, NO Silver Hill, etc, you get my point.
As the grassroots of the discipline, we need to stop this rule from taking effect.

Fixerupper
Oct. 15, 2009, 10:29 PM
Funny... for the World Cup at the Thomas and Mack Centre...there was not enough room to ride around the ring... :cool:

dressurpferd01
Oct. 15, 2009, 10:37 PM
FYI:
The USDF or EF or is about to pass a rule with very strict guidelines to arenas at recognized shows. For instance, show arenas MUST be XXX feet away from the rail and XXX away from the audience. Ok, not a big deal but the BIG deal is that you must be able to warm up AROUND the arena. So, all the little shows that support all the big shows will disappear. How sad.
If you are in Region 9, this means NO Windy Knoll, NO Topsider, Las Colinas will have issues with their indoor arenas, NO Silver Hill, etc, you get my point.
As the grassroots of the discipline, we need to stop this rule from taking effect.

Las Colinas will be fine as long as they stay with one ring in the indoor, which does kinda suck. I liked it better with two rings, would have preferred it when it was raining cats and dogs a couple weeks ago, wouldn't have had to scratch 3 rides. Don't know anything about Topsider, Windy Knoll, or Silver Hill... Are they small shows?

Pony Fixer
Oct. 16, 2009, 12:29 AM
FYI:

Not quite true. I have quoted the rule change (already in effect) in an above post DR 126. It has nothing to do with being able to physically ride around the arena (it even says something about arenas with tall walls), it's about keeping the rings a certain distance from the public (ie, vendors, foot traffic, etc.)

flshgordon
Oct. 19, 2009, 10:53 PM
Not quite true. I have quoted the rule change (already in effect) in an above post DR 126. It has nothing to do with being able to physically ride around the arena (it even says something about arenas with tall walls), it's about keeping the rings a certain distance from the public (ie, vendors, foot traffic, etc.)

Thank goodness.....yes those are small shows but they are a nice change and an affordable alternative to the big shows in Katy

dressurpferd01
Oct. 20, 2009, 12:27 AM
Bah, who cares about this stupid rule change. If your horse can't go in a ring with another horse in another ring right next to it, you probably shouldn't be at a show. I get really sick o fthese "dressage horses" that can't get out of a secluded ring at home. Get your horses out of the ring sometime.

slc2
Oct. 20, 2009, 04:50 AM
"You must be able to warmup AROUND the ring"

Nope. Many shows don't have room to ride around the rings. The issue is how far away the rings are from spectators and vendors, and as far as I know, that rule can be waived by request - the audience at S'Hertogenbosch i(big fei show) s no more than a meter or so from the ring.

Sorry, but riders who are going to be intimidated or distracted by the setup, are entitled to voice their feelings about the positioning of rings. They may not be able to have the positioning changed but they sure can voice their feelings.

And it has nothing to do with 'these dressage horses who can't go out of the ring'. Nothing at all. It's just that people are intimidated by the arrangement.

And yes, actually, it's rather difficult for a professional, even, when a horse goes ballistic in a ring right next to your horse. If two rings are close together and one judge rings a bell, yes, actually, it is confusing for many riders.

However, it's quite true that many shows do position rings close together. Especially where a covered arena is involved, managements are pressed to provide as many rides as possible in that area.

One does need to know one's test well enough that one can screen out other callers and the like. The best advice I ever got was to keep focused intently on the judge in my own ring, and do not look at the other rings. You will then see if your judge rings the bell.

SGray
Oct. 20, 2009, 09:45 AM
chart can be seen here re show levels/requirements
http://www.houstondressagesociety.or...Oct%202009.pdf

already passed - goes into effect in December

SGray
Oct. 20, 2009, 12:06 PM
fyi current forecast for 10/29 is 65-80 for temps. with 60% chance for thunderstorms

jcotton
Oct. 21, 2009, 08:53 PM
"Your horses ain't broke" is what it boils down too, if you can't ride in side by side rings.

That includes distracting sites of vendors, spectators, sponsor tents (like at Lamplight--between Ring 1 & 2).

More $$$$$$$ for the competitors!!!!!

Pony Fixer
Oct. 21, 2009, 09:46 PM
Yup, that Rafalca horse is clearly not broke. Poor Jan... ;)

Sonesta
Oct. 23, 2009, 11:18 AM
Getting back on topic: I'm delighted we will have such high quality judges at the championships this year! We will be there with just a couple of horses, Canadian Brook and Feiner Fantasy. Come join us at the Sonesta stabling and say hi!

slc2
Oct. 24, 2009, 03:04 AM
(re learning a lot when you scribe!!!!)

Lambie Boat, would you please post the name of the judge here, who scored a rider differently because s/he didn't wear a coat on a day that coats were waived?

And when this judge modified the score for a coatless rider on a waived coat day, how much did s/he tell you to take off the score for the rider not keeping his coat on?

CatOnLap
Oct. 24, 2009, 12:13 PM
(re learning a lot when you scribe!!!!)

Lambie Boat, would you please post the name of the judge here, who scored a rider differently because s/he didn't wear a coat on a day that coats were waived?

And when this judge modified the score for a coatless rider on a waived coat day, how much did s/he tell you to take off the score for the rider not keeping his coat on?

Yes, those of us who have scribed a lot, do learn a lot. Lambie is right in her general comment about learning a lot, and her advice can be taken or not. Certainly a coat gives a more polished appearance (but not if you faint during the test from heatstroke!)

Please slc2, specify where YOU saw anyone on this thread say a judge scored someone differently because of coats being waived on a hot day. YOU assume that some judge actually modifies scores after they have waived the coat rule but want others to provide you the proof?

Good grief. Why not get off the BB and get out there and volunteer at the shows as a scribe. I am sure there are volunteer coordinators in your area out there who would appreciate your contribution.

When someone assumes something and then attributes it to someone else, it gets tiresome.

SGray
Oct. 26, 2009, 09:50 AM
http://weather.weatherbug.com/TX/Katy-weather/local-forecast/7-day-forecast.html?zcode=z6286

40% chance for thunderstorms on Thursday and 50% on Friday with the weekend forecast to be lovely

Bethe Mounce
Oct. 26, 2009, 05:24 PM
Indeed good news for my Saturday trip there. I was hoping there would be no rain. Looking forward to seeing everyone and watching their rides. Best of luck to all.

Sonesta
Oct. 26, 2009, 07:09 PM
We're doing the backstroke here in Houston right now. Our horses will need snorkles if this continues much longer!

Bethe Mounce
Oct. 26, 2009, 08:14 PM
Oh no! Here in California (right outside San Francisco--what a fabulous city!) we have had one serious rain and that is it. More coming I am sure. We have mudslides---very entertaining to say the least. Great Southwest, as I recall, drains pretty good even though I have ridden in the slop in one of those outdoor arenas, the base seemed to stay intact. The horse at the time never minded mud puddles etc though we did sorta slide into X a time or two! :-) Hope the rain will let up soon for you guys. I remember! Too well!!!! :-)

Zydeco Sport Horses
Oct. 27, 2009, 05:16 AM
The nastiness has arrived in southeast Louisiana in the wee hours. Hope this means it's moving east out of your area. :sadsmile: Will be thinking good thoughts and hoping for nice drying breezes and sunshine to improve the conditions. Sounds like more rain on Thursday? :(

We won't arrive until later on Thursday. I'm looking forward to meeting some of you guys there. We are in Barn B--look for Chabaud and our trainer is Wijnbergen-Lusthuis. Horses are 239 Zydeco ZSH and 240 Zinnia ZSH.

Can we do a role call with horse names/#s and barn locations?? :)

dressurpferd01
Oct. 27, 2009, 08:48 AM
Gosh I can't wait to have ten championship rides in the rain...fun times.

cyriz's mom
Oct. 27, 2009, 09:14 AM
We're in Barn A stalls 6-10.

Cyriz (Sea Accounts) is number 245
Emilee's other horse, Zupa, is 246.

Looking forward to meeting some more COTHers IRL!!

Good luck everyone!

SGray
Oct. 27, 2009, 10:25 AM
Katy, TX reported 4.5 inches of rain on Monday Oct. 26th

SGray
Oct. 27, 2009, 11:55 AM
http://weather.weatherbug.com/TX/Katy-weather/local-forecast/detailed-forecast.html?zcode=z6286

detailed seven day forecast
70% chance of rain on Thurs.

pack your Wellies

FreckleBeast
Oct. 27, 2009, 12:17 PM
Hello dressage COTHers! I've got a question for you. I'm a western rider, but I live in the Houston area and was thinking about coming out to watch with my non-horsey dad, because he's interested. Are spectators welcome? :)

cyriz's mom
Oct. 27, 2009, 12:19 PM
Freckle - you are most certainly welcome to spectate!!!

FreckleBeast
Oct. 27, 2009, 12:40 PM
Oh great! Then we will definitely try to make it there. Thanks cyriz's mom.

Sonesta
Oct. 27, 2009, 12:47 PM
FreckleBeast, come on out! When you get there, go to the left to the side where the stabling is. That way you can come visit with all of us. The spectators side on the right is usually empty!

The Sonesta Farms bunch will be in Barn E I think.

FreckleBeast
Oct. 27, 2009, 01:04 PM
Oh, okay! Duly noted. If dear old dad can muster the energy to wander around a horse show with me for a few hours we will be there, haha. Thanks Sonesta and everyone for being so inviting! :)

Zydeco Sport Horses
Oct. 27, 2009, 04:39 PM
FreckleBeast bring your Dad by Barn B to meet us too. My hubby is nonhorsey and he can always find something to commiserate with another guy about;-)

FreckleBeast
Oct. 27, 2009, 10:19 PM
Oh, deep down you know they love to be dragged to these horsey things, right? ;)

yaya
Oct. 29, 2009, 01:07 PM
Wow. Showsecretary.com is putting results up already!

Zevida
Oct. 29, 2009, 03:50 PM
Wow. Showsecretary.com is putting results up already!

Yeah, it's great! They seem to be fairly "live" - they are posting the scores as they get them done, not even when the class is complete. Very cool to be able to follow along.

How was the weather down there for you guys today? We got a hellacious storm in Dallas.

KatherineC
Oct. 29, 2009, 04:07 PM
Regarding side by side rings. I rode at the GAID 1 region finals last weekend in Lexington, VA in ring 5 on the top of the hill and found it to be a distraction to look up and see a horse riding between arenas 5 and 6 during my test. My horse didn't care, but it was confusing for me. I didn't have my glasses on so for a moment it looked like the other horse was in my arena!

And I agree about the whistle thing being hard to decifer when rings are close. The judges for rings 5 and 6 were in trucks so it was hard to know if the whistle was for you or the other arena because there is no visual que for you to see. I looked at one judge and she waved to me to indicate "yes, that was for you".

It is also weird for me when the judge is in a car because they can't salute and they kind of fade into the backround. I like to see them. Personal preference only.

This was a very well run show and the weather cooperated so there was fun for all!

Sonesta
Oct. 29, 2009, 10:18 PM
Unbelievable downpouring of rain today at the show. You actually could not see people more than about 50 feet from you! And they had to ride in it!!! Lots of people scratched. Then this evening, it was raining so hard that the place was flooding under the covered arenas! Incredible. Mason Road flooded. I barely made it home. I'm a bit worried about the horses in the stalls but there was just NO WAY to even think about trying to trailer them out in that mess.

yaya
Oct. 29, 2009, 10:23 PM
Didn't it flood at a championships in San Antonio years and years ago? (The fact that the championships weren't in Houston tells you how long ago it was) Like, rivers of water through the streets flood?

Zydeco Sport Horses
Oct. 30, 2009, 09:54 PM
Well, we made it through the 25 mph sustained winds with gusts much higher--we actually saw a gust slam into an 18 wheeler a way in front of us and move it to about a 20 degree angle--it was scary.

Then we had pink lightning at the show grounds associated with a severe thunderstom that hit. Following that, we drove back to the hotel with easily 10 inches of rain in the road--thank goodness for the Surburban. Someone told me we should be used to it. :lol:

So far have only experienced on of the judges, but I was impressed. She was fair and gave good comments that were specific. Looking forward to tomorrow.

Today ended with an absolutely lovely sunset. :cool:

Zydeco Sport Horses
Oct. 30, 2009, 10:04 PM
Well, we drove in from southeast Louisiana yesterday and made it through the 25 mph sustained winds with gusts much higher--we actually saw a gust slam into an 18 wheeler a way in front of us and the wind almost tipped the truck over. I'm still not sure how the driver maintained control--it was scary.

Then, last night, we had pink lightning at the show grounds associated with a severe thunderstom that hit. Following that, we drove back to the hotel with easily 10 inches of rain in the road--thank goodness for the Surburban. Someone told me we should be used to it since we're from south Louisiana. :lol:

Today ended with an absolutely lovely sunset. :cool: Looking forward to tomorrow.

yaya
Oct. 30, 2009, 11:11 PM
Aw, come on, don't be humble. Let everyone know your daughter WON her large class with a great score! (They ain't giving away scores over there!)

Yay for the home (-bred and -trained) team!

Margaret
Oct. 31, 2009, 04:45 PM
(They ain't giving away scores over there!)

that seems to be an understatement--what on earth is going on in the rings today with those low scores and eliminations in some of the classes? is it an issue with the rings????

dressurpferd01
Oct. 31, 2009, 07:18 PM
The scores have been low the whole show, only a handful of 70's. I only saw one elim how many were there? The footing in the outdoors sucked really bad. Horses could not move well out there. Got to see a few really nice freestyles this afternoon too.

Sonesta
Oct. 31, 2009, 10:08 PM
Well, this was just the second show weekend for my green bean mare, as she got her qualifying scores at her first show. She'd never been anywhere like GSWEC. She was fine in the warmup rings, but when she entered that big main indoor rind and saw all those people up over her head, she just lost it. Her rider couldn't get her anywhere near the rail on the people side. She wasn't naughty or dangerous, just veering off in some major leg yields AWAY from the way and head up high LOOKING LOOKING LOOKING at all those scary people.

Oh, well. It was good experience for her. But geesh, nothing like getting a 45 score in a championship class!!!

That'll teach us not to get cocky about her and to give her more time to learn to be comfortable in a show environment.

Zydeco Sport Horses
Oct. 31, 2009, 11:23 PM
Aww, Yaya, thanks for the compliment! :D I was just a tad proud of 'both of my kids'--the two legged and the four. . .:winkgrin: We couldn't have done it without the help and expert guidance of our trainer--we are very fortunate.

Sonesta, I feel your pain. Our baby boy had his first 'indoor' experience today and he had a mini meltdown too. He was worried about the spectators but was keeping it together until he got close to C and saw the decorations and the scary looking judge and that was that. And, of course it was a championship class, so that was a nasty pill to swallow after such a great ride the day before. Like you said, those babes will keep you humble. Tomorrow is another day though and they do get to ride outside so hopefully things will go better. We also had a greenbean mare with us. This was her second show and the first recognized. Thank goodness she didn't have to go in the indoor--she had sensory overload just being outdoors. It was still a great experience for her though and I am so proud of how well she did to tolerate it all.

Good luck to all who ride again tomorrow.

Sonesta
Nov. 1, 2009, 12:24 PM
Just an update. Today was MUCH better. Same test (T4) but not championship, they got 61%. Would have been better, but for the Anky non-halt issue.

Zevida
Nov. 1, 2009, 04:47 PM
What type of footing does the show grounds have in the outdoor arenas? Since moving from the east coast to Dallas I am always surprised that no one seems to use all weather footing in their arenas and I don't understand why not.

jcotton
Nov. 1, 2009, 04:52 PM
I scribed Thursday, Friday & Saturday. Some the low scores were justified by rider's making errors, losing lots of points by not riding accurately.
Lost points from inaccurate riding:
Circles: circle placement & size & shape.
Lengthenings: either down the long side or diagonal --Not letter to letter or did not start promptly or started well then faded before designated letter.
Judge at E or B, sees a whole more of your initial & exit halt. Halt at X--not early, not after. Make your halt balanced--SQUARE! 2nd level and above "Do not walk into or out of halt.

SGray
Nov. 2, 2009, 10:52 AM
4.25+ inches of rain on Thursday -- outdoor rings would be swimming pools

and next year there will be another ring outside since they won't be able to have the side-by-side arrangement in the big covered ring

flshgordon
Nov. 3, 2009, 01:08 PM
dressurpferd--I'm surprised to hear that about the footing. I was a volunteer outside in the driving storms Thursday and could not believe how well the footing held up until almost 3pm (less than an hour before the last ride outside). The next morning rides outside were fine, the footing was solid underneath. I can't imagine the rings being any better after the horrendous storm that night. I did not hear one competitor complain about the footing and I worked 3 days. The footing in both competition arenas outside is all-weather. The warmup I am not sure about.

All in all, I didn't think the scores were that low for the caliber of judges. I did see some eliminations, some were for lameness, some were for errors, one was for carrying a whip in a GAIG class.

ZSH--Zydeco is quite a lovely horse!

Zydeco Sport Horses
Nov. 3, 2009, 04:35 PM
I too was amazed by the outdoor footing. Admittedly, we didn't show for the first time until Friday around one, but by then, I thought the footing was great. The lunging area on the other hand was so gross that I didn't want our trainer to use it--which was scary since she was riding a green mare whose first show was just a few weeks ago. Luckily she was a good girl.

I was disappointed to not get the chance to visit with fellow COTHers. I just can't tell you where the time went and we only had two horses there! :eek: :eek: How do people with 7-10 do it?? I did make time to shop briefly however--my baby boy is now sporting a very handsome new browband. :cool:

Flash, thanks for the compliment on Zy. He is a very special boy. We were proud to be in the ribbons (pretty in pink) in a big USDF class on Sunday--especially since, my Jr/YR daughter has started and brought him along (with the expertise of our trainer, of course)--but still, we bred him and have been there all along the way--it's a very special relationship. We need a popping my buttons with pride icon! ;)

dressurpferd01
Nov. 3, 2009, 07:49 PM
dressurpferd--I'm surprised to hear that about the footing. I was a volunteer outside in the driving storms Thursday and could not believe how well the footing held up until almost 3pm (less than an hour before the last ride outside). The next morning rides outside were fine, the footing was solid underneath. I can't imagine the rings being any better after the horrendous storm that night. I did not hear one competitor complain about the footing and I worked 3 days. The footing in both competition arenas outside is all-weather. The warmup I am not sure about.

All in all, I didn't think the scores were that low for the caliber of judges. I did see some eliminations, some were for lameness, some were for errors, one was for carrying a whip in a GAIG class.

ZSH--Zydeco is quite a lovely horse!

Funny, most of the other pro's I talked to hated the outdoor footing. It was crazy deep and the horses had nothing to push off of. One of the mares I was riding felt like she couldn't move worth a damn (though the pictures were pretty good). It just felt like the mares were really struggling in the deep footing.

On the whole, the show was really nice, though I'm still frickin' exhausted. Never again will I do that many rides at a show, especially that many championship rides in one day. I was disappointed that all my champ rides were on the first day, since the weather was the worst that day and I was really disappointed by ring 3 for several reasons. All the horses improved after that day and I was scoring higher at the next level up than I did at my champ rides. Oh well, was really pleased with my horses at first and third level. Especially since one of the 3rd level mares had only been working changes for about 2 weeks and was scoring 63-66% under "I" judges. Managed to get one of the few 70%+ rides under MacDonald at first as well, so was really pleased with that.

The show ran quite smoothly until Sunday afternoon. Someone somewhere screwed up passing out revised day sheets and several of us ended up having to ride with ZERO warm up time. Kind of annoying, but still scored 67%.

Anywho, can't wait til championships there next year. Hopefully GAIG and SWDC won't be in ring 3 again with those stupid squeaking lights!!!

Zydeco Sport Horses
Nov. 4, 2009, 06:55 AM
Wow dressur, I guess you are exhausted! What a weekend for you. Way to go on the 70 with MacDonald--that score was hard to come by--you should feel great!

Maybe next year we'll have a dry show for a nice change. I look forward to meeting you in person.

flshgordon
Nov. 6, 2009, 11:54 AM
Maybe I just didn't hear about the footing from many pros but I am glad everyone did well anyway!

Those horrible squeaky lights have been a problem since that arena went in. I remember the first time my gelding went in there between the squeaking light and a forklift right next to the arena moving cattle panels (yes DURING the show!) I thought at any moment he might have a heart attack and fall over dead :winkgrin:

Atheta21
Nov. 8, 2009, 06:29 PM

The rule, about having to ride around the arena for any qualifying class, is in debate. The source of this knowledge is a person pretty high up in the USDF that is also a TD. She feels it will pass.

However, I had a great time at championships, despite the rain! My pony did super, pulling in one champion, two reserves and a third!!