PDA

View Full Version : Exercises for one-sided rider?

TheGrandChawhee
Oct. 7, 2009, 10:46 AM
I recently realized that I lean extremely hard to one side. This is causing one of my legs to flop around, while the other stays still. The problem is that it's really affecting my horse...for the most part I'm the only rider, and I have a hard time going in the direction where my weak leg is on the outside (I lean to the inside and pull her to the inside, can't pick up the correct lead canter, etc. etc.) Are there any exercises I can do to help me fix this before it becomes a bigger problem? I try to adjust myself, but I still find myself leaning.

PNWjumper
Oct. 7, 2009, 10:55 AM
Take your stirrups off of your saddle. Buckle them to each other. Lay them across the top of your saddle. If you lean you will not be able to keep your stirrups or your balance.

I've seen it work wonders on riders many times over.

Good luck!

RyuEquestrian
Oct. 7, 2009, 11:01 AM
I recently realized that I lean extremely hard to one side. This is causing one of my legs to flop around, while the other stays still. The problem is that it's really affecting my horse...for the most part I'm the only rider, and I have a hard time going in the direction where my weak leg is on the outside (I lean to the inside and pull her to the inside, can't pick up the correct lead canter, etc. etc.) Are there any exercises I can do to help me fix this before it becomes a bigger problem? I try to adjust myself, but I still find myself leaning.

I too would be very interested in hearing people's suggestions- I noticed this summer that all of my young horses, are weaker to the left and that one has a hard time picking up that lead- which is new.... which got me thinking- maybe it's probably something I'm doing!

KateKat
Oct. 7, 2009, 11:48 AM
the stirrup thing is a good idea, I would also think that working on this off the horse would be beneficial as well. Check out doing pilates with an instructor or a personal trainer with the goal being to strengthen your weaker side. Also maybe go to a chiro to make sure that your pelvis is aligned.

I know that for me personally sitting at a desk all day has made me slightly heavier on my right side when I sit, so my left leg tends to creep up when riding. I've done all of the above with some success, as well as making a conscious effort in my everyday life to make sure I'm sitting straight and even.

MustangSally00
Oct. 7, 2009, 02:29 PM
A girl I used to ride with scrunched her right side up for years and nobody could make her stop. She went to the chiropractor and the next time out she was sitting perfectly straight.

Two points to this. If there is a large difference between two sides of your body, sometimes a chiropractor can even you out. Number two is that a lot of problems like this on the horse can be fixed off of the horse with stretching and other exercises.

Good luck.

TrotTrotPumpkn
Oct. 7, 2009, 02:39 PM
Take your stirrups off of your saddle. Buckle them to each other. Lay them across the top of your saddle. If you lean you will not be able to keep your stirrups or your balance.

I've seen it work wonders on riders many times over.

Good luck!

I agree--saw that at the Greg Best clinic I went to. OP, see this recent thread:

http://www.chronicleforums.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=225479

superpony123
Oct. 7, 2009, 02:59 PM
try riding without stirrups.

OR, if you're like me, one half of your body is completely different than the other. my entire left side is longer. longer leg, longer arm, etc. my hips are slightly uneven since my leg is longer. it makes me kind of automatically sit to the left and just automatically do everything leaning on my left side. bad. if i go to the chiro it might be something they could help with though, as i know it helps a lot of others with the same issue. (but, you know, i'm happier spending a lot more money on my pony's massage/chiro than i would ever dream of spending on myself)

anyway, i like riding without stirrups because it *does* make me sit more evenly -- because if i don't, i'm definitely going to fall off :D

AppendixQHLover
Oct. 7, 2009, 04:10 PM
I have started doing yoga and it should help some.

I mostly am stronger on my right than my left. It just takes longer for my left side to *get* it compared to my right side.

HowDoILook
Oct. 7, 2009, 07:27 PM
I have a HORRIBLE lean to the right. so much that I had to punch extra holes in that stirrup leather because I stretched it out so much. Partially from bad habit, partially from scoliosis that I have in my lower back.

Yesterday I discovered how to fix this problem. I dropped my right stirrup. Every time I went to lean, there was nothing to lean against, you will learn fast not to lean. Usually after the first stupid fall from going to lean and having nothing there to catch you :lol: I fell off twice yesterday :winkgrin: :winkgrin: :winkgrin: But I had a lesson today and my trainer commented on how straight I was sitting :D

cyberbay
Oct. 7, 2009, 08:02 PM
I haven't met anyone (adult) who ISN'T one-sided. Most people don't notice they are...

IME addressing crookedness in the leg means starting higher up and making the shoulder really stacked over the hip, with the ribs lined up between them. Doing that gets the hip to fall more into alignment and then the leg (really more a symptom than the trouble itself) will fall into place. Often with the 'weaker' or less stable leg, the hip angle is more closed and tucked behind the rider...

PNWjumper
Oct. 7, 2009, 09:55 PM
Ha ha, TrotTrotPumpkn! :lol: I ride in clinics with Greg semi-regularly and that's where I've seen it too. Seems like at least 2 or 3 people get that little treat done to them at each clinic. It's interesting to watch how much of a difference it can make in their riding (in a positive way)!

Pally
Oct. 8, 2009, 01:16 AM
Another horribly crooked one here. I agree with others who say it's best to address it off the horse as much as on. A good chiro can be great, though they tend not to 100% get the long term crookedness (because your muscles want go back to their old habits), but they can give you a good start, and step in if you get more out of whack than normal, to stop things getting any worse.

I'm going to make a bit of an odd suggestion. If you can get access to a Wii Fit, do it! The whole balance board measuring your weight distribution is very helpful. Because when you are habitually crooked, it's hard to know what straight feels like....the Fit helps show you. Plus the exercises work on the issues too. I've been doing it a few weeks now, and I swear my riding (at least my upper body for sure) is improving.

One day I will get brave and try that stirrup thing, but I'll admit, I'm a chicken (given I know how bad I am!)

smm20
Oct. 8, 2009, 03:12 AM
Wow. This thread could not come at a better time. I had a conversation with my trainer this morning where she basically laid down the law: I must learn to even out my two sides because it is seriously screwing up my horse. I also have scoliosis and one leg is longer than the other.

I'm looking forward to hearing all of the responses.

goeslikestink
Oct. 8, 2009, 03:37 AM

off course it effects the horses way of going as your not sitting centrally and distributing your weight evenly
how it effects the horse can be by supporting your weight in the bridle and him counter acting youu weight so he becomes stiff on one side as your croacked this will also effect his back head and neck
and in time will damage the horse back

you have to learn to give on your strongest side so the horse can be even
thats you give its a common rider error so your not alone

so 1st things first- check your saddle fits the horse and you
check that your saddle isnt and doesnt need flocking a master saddle can tell how you ride just by looking at your saddle
check your stirrups are the correct length
if you go here http://www.chronicleforums.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=178116
i explain how to alter your stirrups correctly on page one

be wise to read all of page one and all links as its all relevent
and also read this thread

again its relevent in some parts towards the end of the topic

http://www.chronicleforums.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=223453

working in the walk and trot without stiurrps will help you balance and also help you to work with an indepedant seat. holding the crop across your hands in wlak and trot will also help you
ie dont drop it--

remember position position position thrust them boobs and chin up and sit up

lastly - think this the floor will say hello a lot quicker to you if you keep leaning