PDA

View Full Version : Please recommend a good trainer in WA

moonlightride
Oct. 7, 2009, 03:42 AM
I am looking for a trainer who works with students from training level and up. I have read some bad reviews about a couple of trainers on here and would like to know who the good ones are. There's tons of websites/etc and I need to make a list of who sounds patient/honest/and actually teaches the horse and rider and does not use tons of gadgets and makes the rider yank on the horse's mouth.

stryder
Oct. 7, 2009, 10:46 AM
Where are you located, and what are your goals for the rider/horse?

UnoIsMyHorse
Oct. 7, 2009, 11:01 AM
My trainer is Allison Allbaugh, in Eatonville. She is the very best. She is very patient and works with all levels of students. She is currently riding her appy mare at 4th level. Her website is www.majesticsporthorse.com and I highly recommend her to anyone. I am rather new to dressage and never had any formal training when I started riding with Allison. After 2 months in training, I rode my OTTB at our first ever dressage show. We entered 2 classes and took a 2nd and a 3rd! And this was a horse that wouldn't canter when I brought him to Allison. She really takes the time to explain things so that I can understand them.

Tiligsmom
Oct. 7, 2009, 12:00 PM
Everyone has their own ideas of "good", so we'll need a bit more information about you, your needs, your preferences, location, etc. in order to make more informed recommendations. What one person thinks is "good" - another will think is dreadful!

That being said, below are some options:

Olympia Area:
Kari McLain, USDF Gold - www.miaristables.com. Kari has a long track record for helping her students move up the levels.

South Puget Sound:
Jennifer Schrader-Williams, USDF Gold, USEF long listed - www.summervalefarm.com. Jennifer is a much sought after, beautiful, harmonious, rider and trainer with a proven track record for helping her students achieve their goals. She is very skilled at helping horse/rider teams be competitive and move up the levels.

Caryn Bujnowski - www.featurefarm.com. Caryn is very skilled at helping riders learn the correct foundation/basics and runs an outstanding boarding facility.

Gwen Blake - www.donidafarm.com. Gwen is a U.S.E.T. Member, Long listed for 2004 Athens Olympic Games, 2003 South American Coach for Pan-Am Games in Dominican Republic. United States Pan-American Team Medallist in Dressage. U.S.D.F. Bronze, Silver, and Gold Medallist. Competed Grand Prix Dressage Nationally and Internationally. 20 years experience International levels. Trained and Competed on West coast, East Coast and Europe. She is very skilled at building competitive horse/rider teams.

North/East Puget Sound
Jeremy Steinberg - www.jeremysteinbergdressage.com. Jeremy is a much sought after rider and trainer who is known for his outstanding teaching and training skills.

sirensong4
Oct. 7, 2009, 12:21 PM
Shawn McLaughlin is good too. I've never ridden with her personally but i have friends who have/do, and they sing her praises. She's in Auburn.

http://www.skmdressage.com/

psa6769
Oct. 16, 2009, 07:02 PM
It really depends on where you are located in the state. I can HIGHLY recommend Roxanne Christenson as being one of the best trainers in the state - FEI to training level. She is known as the trainer's trainer and in fact has trained or schools many of the top riders and trainers in the Seattle area. We are with her at her barn in Monroe, WA - Trilogy - and it is simply fantastic. Many many students haul in to take lessons with her weekly. Great teacher, great rider, great trainer and very very professional.

Knight's Journey
Oct. 16, 2009, 10:14 PM
Erin Morris of highlandsporthorses.com is teriffic. She's very professional, will cater to your personal goals, and always keeps a really positive attitude. Lots of experience in the competition world and is really good about keeping her students in touch with any clinics or shows she's participating in.

No nonsense, no gadgets, no stress.