PDA

View Full Version : best quality bridle?

Shiaway
Oct. 7, 2009, 01:27 AM
Sorry this has probably been asked a million times. So here's a million and one. What brand of bridle is known to have good quality? I'm really tired of my el cheapo bridle and I want something that will last me a long time.

I like the idea of a contoured crown piece and I saw that Jerry's bridles have that and if you went by their price they seem to be good quality but are they really?

Are bridles even made to the same standards as they used to be? I know someone with a very nice passier double that's lasted forever but it was made a long time ago.

Thanks for suggestions.

caddym
Oct. 7, 2009, 07:30 AM
Hennigs the crown peice and nose bands are lined with a super soft buffalo leather and the hook twist buckle system is fantastic

I bought mine through euroamerican saddlery (they are not el cheapo though)

SouthernComfortMax
Oct. 7, 2009, 02:56 PM
This may be to El Cheapo for you but I have a Crown Bling bridle, I got it from Dover and I really like it. I think I paid like $149 for it and I was a little worried that it would be a piece of crap but it is VERY nice and has held up well. I also have a custom made bridle from Jerry's Harness Shop (Max has a HUGE head) Very nice soft leather, beautifully made but pretty expensive. www.jerrysharnessshop.com and there is also a website called justbridles.com you can mix and match the piece to kinda custom make a bridle. Hope this helps and happy shopping!! :)

buck22
Oct. 7, 2009, 08:23 PM
I have an albion kb and a jeffries elite, both with comfort crowns and both quite nice, though I find the padding a bit chunky on my fine faced pony. I also have some of those heritage comfort crown bridles and they're not half bad at all, not nearly as scary as the price would lead one to believe. I think with some use they'll break in just dandy.

My favorite bridle is a no name, 'made in walsall' hunt bridle I got for $35 and a simple but lovely used jeffries bridle I also found used for $40. Both simple and with no padding, but lovely to handle and look beautiful on my horse.

Justmyluck
Oct. 7, 2009, 08:25 PM
I have a Treadstone bridle that I'm in love with.

3Hanns
Oct. 7, 2009, 08:39 PM
I love my Albion KB's...great quality....super soft leather... very padded

Shiaway
Oct. 8, 2009, 01:19 PM
Does anyone have a Laser? Are those good quality?

quietann
Oct. 8, 2009, 01:52 PM
Jerry's Harness bridles really are that good. My only complaint is that they are designed for horses with large heads (WBs etc.) and their skinniest leather is still a bit too heavy on my very refined mare. The leather is beautiful and soft yet durable. Sizing is a bit large; a cob size will fit many horses. They will also put together a custom bridle based on your horse's measurements if the standard size does not fit. (But customs are not returnable, so start with a standard size.) They do not go smaller than Cob in the standard sizes.

jodyb
Oct. 8, 2009, 03:37 PM
Here's another thumbs up for the Albion KB. I have one for my sensitive older gelding and (both of us) quite liked it. Like the design, liked the quality of the leather. I wanted a new bridle for my 4 y.o. and I looked at a lot of bridles thinking I could save money and get something I liked. I ended up ordering another Albion KB, it should arrive next week.

esdressage
Oct. 8, 2009, 04:13 PM
I've heard a lot of great feedback about the Albions. I would definitely look at those.

Mine happens to be a Stubben and I love it. The styling is lovely, it fits my horse beautifully, the padding is super-soft and luxurious and the leather is so nice and soft that it feels like velvet. I love it! I've had it for quite a while now (almost a year I think) and it just seems to get better with age and use, which I feel is truly a sign of a nice quality piece of tack.

klr
Oct. 8, 2009, 06:15 PM
absolutely!

LisaO
Oct. 8, 2009, 06:33 PM
I have a laser bridle.

I love the adjustability and the removable flash (i'm not a big fan of flashes unless they are truly needed). I like the way the crown fits, like the quality of the leather and the amount of padding. I like the 'jawband' noseband EXCEPT, there is a bit of a stiff edge at the front edges. They've beveled the leather, but I have to leave it quite loose so it doesn't 'stab' my mare's cheeks just above and behind the bit. This bridle seems more suited to a larger head - which makes it perfect for my lunkheaded but lovable mare!

Shiaway
Oct. 8, 2009, 11:41 PM
Good input. My horse is rather small and I would not like edges like that. I use the flash so I need my noseband to be snug enough so that the flash doesn't pull the noseband down. I don't crank it tight just it can't be loose or the flash will pull it down and cause problems.

Zugabe
Oct. 9, 2009, 12:39 AM
I really love my Kieffer bridle.

Lora
Oct. 9, 2009, 10:23 AM
Euro American - very very nice bridle - not cheap

GallantGesture
Oct. 12, 2009, 12:29 PM
I have KL Select bridles I have been very happy with. One is their more expensive line, and it was about $300 when I got it ten years ago. It is still butter soft and looks new, with minimal care and daily use. My newer one I've had about 3 years I think, it was $230 and is their "lower end" line called Red Barn. It is noticeably not "as nice" as the more expensive one, but is still very nice, soft, supple, etc. and has held up well. The reins it came with are the biggest quality difference I think, and are nice enough that I wouldn't have noticed if I didn't have the two bridles side by side, but comparing the two, the reins on the Red Barn bridle are flimsier and not as supple, and the leather doesn't have the same texture and tackiness that the more expensive reins do. However, I replaced the reins on both bridles with rubber ones anyways, so it's a non-issue for me. These bridles do seem to run big though, and the newer one moreso than the older one. The cob size noseband on the Red Barn bridle needed MANY holes punched in it to fit my 15.3 hand average-build tb.

Today tack of the day has a Bobby's bridle, which I think is a nice middle of the road bridle. It isn't a Passier or Stubben, but it's not a cheapie bridle either. A friend got one of these in a cob size though for her tb and the noseband didn't go around his nose, so I think they run a little smaller than other brands.

Valentina_32926
Oct. 12, 2009, 03:22 PM
I just purchased a Jerry's - I liked it because I could mix and match to get the proper size bridle - she's length wise a cob and width wise a full sized horse. :cool:

Leather is very nice and many people have raved about the high quality leather - but you do pay for it! :yes:

Sparkling_Sunset
Oct. 13, 2009, 08:31 AM
I vote for Otto Schumacher. Pricey, but very high quality and LOVELY to look at it. I have two and they look like they'll last for years.

By the way, before you go thinking I'm bragging, I bought these when Dover had them on clearance for $70 sans browband. (Though I did manage to snag a silver 3-row Schumacher browband for $20 from them the second time around:D)

But at the rate I'm going, I don't think I'll ever get to use either one-- I'm going to need a cob size for the size equine I want (pony!), and what I've got is a size 1 and size 2.
But I can't bring myself to part with them, as I could never afford a Schumacher at retail... I think I 'll just:
1) Pray the smaller one fits
or
2)Have my tack shop move the noseband buckle farther back on the smaller one, and possibly buy shorter cheekpieces if need be.
(Sometimes I really question my sanity in keeping them:D)

magdelene
Oct. 13, 2009, 10:42 AM
I have seen a new bridle from Schockemoehle Sports. Both Trense and Kandare is very good quality. You can buy first in November.

Phaxxton
Oct. 13, 2009, 02:49 PM

Me, too! :yes:

Roan
Oct. 13, 2009, 03:03 PM

Count me as #3 for Kieffer.

Eileen

scubed
Oct. 13, 2009, 07:11 PM
I have always loved Kieffers and they look especially good on my pinheaded TBs