PDA

View Full Version : Alla Czar

denver
Oct. 6, 2009, 10:47 PM
Has anyone had any problems with Alla Czar babies having club feet?

Mardi
Oct. 6, 2009, 10:53 PM
Have you posted your question on the Sporthorse Breeding forum ?

You're sure to get some help over there.

RyuEquestrian
Oct. 6, 2009, 10:55 PM
I can't speak about many of his babies, but we have one mare by Alla 'Czar who doesn't have club feet. I haven't heard before that he threw club feet, but do share your findings.

onthebit
Oct. 6, 2009, 11:05 PM
I would be asking this same question of the mare line as well if you have not already done so. I have known several Alla 'Czars through the years and have not known one with a club foot.

RyuEquestrian
Oct. 6, 2009, 11:07 PM
I know that a club foot can develop if the foal is grazing with one leg far behind the other in order to reach down far enough to grab the grass, perhaps this is the cause of the club foot? Just a thought if it's just one club foot rather than two.

BREEDINGMANIAC
Oct. 6, 2009, 11:08 PM
The only one or two I know about came through the mare, who had a club foot, NOT from the stallion!

Go Fish
Oct. 7, 2009, 02:27 AM
I've been around a lot of them. Just the opposite, actually. I wouldn't have bred a mare with long, sloping pasterns to this horse.

Samotis
Oct. 7, 2009, 02:37 AM
what fish said. He certainly won't improve a mares feet, but I haven't ever seen club feet. More like pancakes!

Rubs Not Pats
Oct. 7, 2009, 07:05 AM
I think this is a little of an unfair question because while I have seen many, many Alla' Czar's and seen club feet, but the stallion is only half of the equation. The bigger question is would you breed to this stallion if your mare had bad or upright feet and I would probably say no. This is an awesome stallion and I have bred to him 7 or 8 times. He has, for the most part improved all of the mares in every area but feet conformation from the ankle down. If the mare is correct, my feet have been correct.

Rubs Not Pats
Oct. 7, 2009, 07:07 AM
I have bred 7 or 8 and have no pancakes.

buggs95
Oct. 7, 2009, 07:18 AM
I have two full siblings by Alla'Czar. They both have fantastic feet. I didn't even have to put shoes on the four year old until Aug even with consistent riding. I kept on asking my farrier every visit. He'd hoof test her and say she didn't need any shoes yet. Their feet are identical and they don't look like mom's ;)

lesson junkie
Oct. 7, 2009, 07:31 AM
My Alla 'Czar baby is a 9yo now, and while the wet weather is giving them fits, the shape of his feet couldn't be better.

Moderator 1
Oct. 7, 2009, 07:42 AM
Hi denver ~

We try to having threads crossposted to multiple forums to avoid duplication of information, etc., so we've combined your multiple threads on this topic. Because you'd received more response in this forum, we move all the posts here, but if you'd like it to be moved over to the breeding forum later on, please send me a note, and we'd be happy to move it for you.

Thanks,
Mod 1

M. O'Connor
Oct. 7, 2009, 08:37 AM
A more experienced breeder than I could possibly comment on whether its thought that club feet are heritable or deveop in the womb or after birth...but, what makes you ask?

My farrier, a hall of famer who is in his 70's now, has seen plenty of feet though the years.

He contends that early monitoring and trimming are at least as influential as genetics, even more so when a problem develops.

Consider the structure of any young thing, human, canine, equine. Bones growth plates are soft, and respond quickly to environmental factors or individual propensities such as the grazing posture described above by another poster. Think of the miracles orthodontists work on teeth!

Therefore a wide array of problems can be corrected through intervention by a farrier skilled at working with youngsters.

Having a good farrier on your team, and ensuring that babies are handled from an early age to facilitate any interventions that may be necessary can be of critical importance.