PDA

View Full Version : Keeneland Fall Meet - starts Friday

Glimmerglass
Oct. 6, 2009, 09:40 PM
Anyone going to Keeneland for the fall meet starting Friday?

It looks like a great - but short as always - few weeks with a lot of graded stakes races with well known runners.

The Phoenix Stakes (Grade 3) for 3-yr olds and up will have such names as: Capt. Candyman Can, Past the Point, Fatal Bullet and My Pal Charlie. Sing Baby Sing, who won the race in 2008 Phoenix at a very long 26-1, is back again and with the outside post and longshot odds again.

Tweeter, who was cannon fodder against Rachel Alexandra in the Kentucky Oaks, appears in a $52k allowance race. The Marylou Whitney Stable owned and D. Wayne Lukas trained gal will hopefully kick off the fall in style.

The Darley Alcibiades Stakes (Grade 1) for 2-yr old fillies will have the very impressive Beautician, Amen Hallelujah, Kid Kate and likely a refreshed She Be Wild ridden by Garrett Gomez, flying in from Cali.

ghazgal
Oct. 7, 2009, 10:49 AM
I can't wait!! Not going on Friday ( I hope the weather is ok for you all on Friday) but I will be there Sat and Sun and as many days as I can eek out away from the farm. The fall meet at Keeneland is the only thing that makes me look forward to the end of summer.

DLee
Oct. 7, 2009, 12:18 PM
Going on Friday with a friend who is a guest of Darley, should be fun! Although the weather doesn't look too promising... :no:

Glimmerglass
Oct. 8, 2009, 10:47 AM
It does look like it will be rather wet on Friday and maybe even Saturday, too, sadly.

Despite the rain it will be a party - after the twilight racing: with Swinging at Sunset (http://www.keeneland.com/racing/lists/copy//copy.aspx?Page=Swinging%20at%20Sunset)

Be sure to stick around after the races when we offer the city’s best outdoor celebration, Swinging at Sunset, that will take place trackside-complete with a 17-piece jazz orchestra, swing dancing and much more. Experience a wonderful evening sunset, set against the stunning backdrop of Keeneland Race Course. Plus, we’ll be offering food and drink specials, including a specialty cocktail created just for the occasion by Grey Goose Vodka.

Saturday entries and races are excellent as well! (http://keeneland.equibase.com/eqbRaceEntriesDisplay.cfm?TRK=KEE&CY=USA&DATE=10/10/2009&STYLE=KEE)

* Woodford S. (Grade III)
At five and one half furlongs on turf. In the event that this race is taken off the turf it will be contested at Six Furlongs on the main track

* Thoroughbred Club of America S. (Grade II)
with Informed Decision - Julien Leparoux up - trained by white-hot Jonathan Sheppard

* First Lady S. (Grade I)
At 1-mile on Turf. In the event that this race is taken off the turf it will be contested at Eight and One Half Furlongs on the main track

* Dixiana Breeders' Futurity (Grade I)
One And One Sixteenth Miles.

* Shadwell Turf Mile S. (Grade I)
One mile on turf.
This will be the return of Court Vision although you have to like Battle of Hastings and Mr. Sidney.

Glimmerglass
Oct. 8, 2009, 11:01 AM
From the Daily Racing Form 10-8-09 (http://drf.com/news/article/107874.html)

The opening FallStars Weekend at Keeneland will hit its peak Saturday when three Grade 1 races are among the five graded stakes run during what amounts to a key preview for the Nov. 6-7 Breeders' Cup.

Entries for the Saturday races were drawn Wednesday, and the top names on the card rank among the major players in the overall Breeders' Cup outlook, including Justenuffhumor, Forever Together, and Informed Decision.

Darley has juveniles ready to run

The maroon Darley Stable silks will be prominent throughout the meet, not only atop stakes runners, but also on 2-year-olds.

"We've been up at the old Greentree property at Saratoga getting our 2-year-olds ready for this meet," said Brian Ange, assistant to California-based Eoin Harty. "We should be running quite a few, and I'm thinking we should be very competitive."

Darley, an auxiliary of sorts for the Godolphin powerhouse of Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid al-Maktoum, will be represented Friday by Past the Point in the Phoenix Stakes, and on Saturday by Justenuffhumor in the Shadwell Mile, Hockley in the Breeders' Futurity, and Tizaqueena in the First Lady.

Chicago-based trainer Wayne Catalano, who took the recent Arlington Park trainer's title, is going to deploy 30 or so horses at this Keeneland meet vs. a typical 6 or so. The man could be loaded for bear ...

Glimmerglass
Oct. 11, 2009, 10:22 PM
Rains on Friday and cold on Saturday but still had a great old time at Keeneland! That place never disappoints in being one of the easiest places to get into, around the facility, and to see all the activities in the saddling enclosure, post-parade, and some fantastic top notch racing.

I've been to plenty of tracks, but only Keeneland have I been unexpectedly found myself (in public areas - we're not talking in some owners only section) next to trainers like Michael Matz (amazingly no one seemed to recognize him), Jonathan Sheppard, a reporter like Jill Byrne and Donna Barton Brothers and TVG's Todd Schrupp and Simon Bray, or owners George Strawbridge Jr and yes even Michael Iavarone. (Yep his huge bodyguard in tow)

The FallStars weekend was such a top notch series of races it's a shame that Mother Nature didn't cooperate.

mroades
Oct. 12, 2009, 01:10 PM
Who won this weekend, I was at Harrisburg and couldnt watch any

Glimmerglass
Oct. 12, 2009, 01:55 PM
Graded stakes only with several horses affirming their plans to go to the Breeders' Cup off solid performances at Keeneland.

Friday (Opening Day) October 9th:
Race (Graded level): Win/Place/Show
Phoenix Stakes (G3): Fatal Bullet/Capt. Candyman Can/Ez Dreamer
Darley Alcibiades Stakes (G1): Negligee/She Be Wild/Amen Hallelujah

Saturday - October 10th - FallStars Weekend:
Woodford Stakes (G3): Silver Timber/Mr. Nightlinger/Goldzar
Thoroughbred Club of America Stakes (G2): Informed Decision/Carlsbad/Porte Bonheur
First Lady Stakes (G1): Diamondrella (GB)/Tizaqueena/Forever Together
Dixiana Breeders' Futurity (G1): Noble's Promise/Aikenite/Roman Invasion
Shadwell Turf Mile Stakes (G1): Court Vision/Karelian/Mr. Sidney

Informed Decision with Julien up ran spectacularly! He almost had a back to back win for Sheppard/Strawbrigde (Augustin Stables) with Forever Together but she simply ran out of track to close in time. Backtalk in the Dixiana, had he won, would've won me the Pick Three but he faded and my longer shot of Aikenite just didn't get it done.

Sunday - October 11th - FallStars Weekend continued:
Bourbon Stakes (G3): Interactif/Codoy/Family Foundation
Juddmonte Spinster Stakes (G1): Mushka/DQ-Proviso (GB)*/Teamgeist (ARG)

*Proviso, ridden by Rajiv Maragh, finished 1st but was disqualified in the victory and dropped to 2nd place following a whine by Kent D. on Mushka.

Owner Brushwood Stable purchased Mushka for $2.4 million as a 3-year-old at Keeneland’s 2008 November Breeding Stock Sale. The 4-year-old daughter of Empire Maker rewarded her owner with a $300,000 paycheck on Sunday. She now has earned $723,625.

Following the win—her sixth in 16 career starts—trainer Bill Mott indicated the Mushka will start next in the Breeders’ Cup World Championships to be run on November 6-7 during the Oak Tree meeting at Santa Anita.

By Todd Pletcher trained Interactif winning the Bourbon Stakes that gives Pletcher (who often has a poor showing in Lexington) his 3rd victory in that race in 4years.

All Keeneland races both live and replay can be viewed for free: Go here for choosing either one (http://www.keeneland.com/racing/frames/replay.aspx)

Robby Albarado was impressive this weekend with his efforts. His stats for the three days: 28 starts 6-3-2. Although typical NYRA-track based and under appreciated jockey Rajiv Maragh was 15 starts 5-5-1. Unexpectedly cold this weekend was Julien Leparoux with 27 starts 3-3-5

Jonathan Sheppard, who is having the year of a lifetime in 2009, continues to do exceedingly well as a trainer. Opening weekend for being at the helm of a relatively smaller sized stable: 6-starts 2-0-2. Michael Matz for 5-starts was 1-1-1.

The aforementioned Chicago-based trainer Wayne M. Catalano is doing well too with his gang of 30 or so horses pointed to this Keeneland meet: 6 starts 1-2-1

LaurieB
Oct. 12, 2009, 02:29 PM
*Proviso, ridden by Rajiv Maragh, finished 1st but was disqualified in the victory and dropped to 2nd place following a whine by Kent D. on Mushka.

It was a pretty justified "whine". Proviso certainly stopped Mushka's momentum and she was moving fast when she got hit. We went to the Juddmonte part after and they were consoling themselves with the thought that Mushka, who got put up over their filly, is by Empire Maker.

Las Olas
Oct. 12, 2009, 05:24 PM
It was a pretty justified "whine". Proviso certainly stopped Mushka's momentum and she was moving fast when she got hit. We went to the Juddmonte part after and they were consoling themselves with the thought that Mushka, who got put up over their filly, is by Empire Maker.

I agree. She was improving her position after the interference, so you would assume that she would've taken the race. Of course, we sold Mushka as a yearling, so I'm a little biased.

BTW - Laurie B, sorry to see TM didn't finish any better. I was rooting for him!

LaurieB
Oct. 12, 2009, 10:24 PM
BTW - Laurie B, sorry to see TM didn't finish any better. I was rooting for him!

Thanks. That was his first try on grass and first at a route distance. I'm hoping he gets a chance on dirt next. :)

Glimmerglass
Oct. 12, 2009, 10:53 PM

Video replay from Trakus/Keeneland (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQT6W73N7HQ) - and no my comment was more about Kent ;) Proviso momentarily shyed away from the photogs on the infield in my view and with it into the other's path. The officials made their review and she indeed failed to hold per position on the track. Still had Proviso not drifted I still think she would've crossed the line first.

Glimmerglass
Oct. 13, 2009, 10:00 AM
Speaking of Kent Desormeaux I'm not sure if this is his routine sadle but my wife and I both noticed at Keeneland his was a sort of dark burgundy, quilted, Hermes-esq saddle. Has anyone seen that before?

Glimmerglass
Oct. 13, 2009, 12:57 PM
I saw a lot of things on Saturday but I didn't see actress Charlize Theron there (http://www.kentucky.com/712/story/974363.html#) -- she was a guest of Dixiana Farm owner and film producer William Shively.

Next to jockey Willie Martinez she isn't that much taller (http://media.kentucky.com/smedia/2009/10/12/12/091010keenelandPA0328.standalone.prod_affiliate.79 .jpg)

Las Olas
Oct. 13, 2009, 01:17 PM
Willie's a friend of mine and I am so thrilled for him. Hope he gets the ride in the BC.

Larksmom
Oct. 13, 2009, 01:37 PM
The inquery was up before the jocks were off their horses. EVERYONE saw it. I agree we don't know which filly would have won, but I think Desourmeux's filly WAS impeded with. Period. This is like the tiresome aguement about RA and the Bird. Shoulda coulda woulda. :rolleyes: At least they didn't find the jockey liable. There was nothing he [Rajiv] could have done.
On a whole different front, about Forever Together, the problem with a late runner is that they need PACE, unless the name is Zenyatta!] I think she might need a bit more ground than she had, and in the last defeat, which was by a whisker, she was giving 11 pounds to the victor. Now On the days it counted, she still lost but we shall see come BC.

Glimmerglass
Oct. 14, 2009, 01:04 PM
Just how cold is it there in Lexington today (Wed) for day 4 of this meet? I'm looking at TVG's anchors on site of Todd Schrupp and Christina Olivares are bundled up in coats like they were broadcasting from the White Mountains of New Hampshire! Burrrrr

Barnfairy
Oct. 14, 2009, 01:23 PM
I don't know how cold it is in Lexington, but I can tell you it's effin' freezing in NH right now!

I had ice in buckets this morning.

Hey, at least it's not snowing, here or at Keeneland. :lol:

olympicdreams04
Oct. 14, 2009, 01:47 PM
Galloping @ Keeneland this am made me wish, just for a moment, that i had a desk job. Heavy rain all am, temps hovers around 40 degrees and hurricane winds, especially on the main. Brrrrrrr. I'm finally headed home from the last farm to shuck out of my down jacket, two fleeces, full chaps and wet jeans for a hot shower and a couple of down hours before feed time. If any COTHers wanna catch up while in town tho, make sure to shoot me a PM and we'll meet up. My farm is only 5 min from Kee.

Beaver Breeze
Oct. 14, 2009, 02:18 PM
Just how cold is it there in Lexington today (Wed) for day 4 of this meet? I'm looking at TVG's anchors on site of Todd Schrupp and Christina Olivares are bundled up in coats like they were broadcasting from the White Mountains of New Hampshire! Burrrrr

46, with a "RealFeel" of 40. It's gross. Usually it's still quite warm this time of year, and sometimes it's downright hot!

QHEventr
Oct. 14, 2009, 02:20 PM
I think High today is 46, RAIN, and WIND! It's not so fun today trying to get stall cleaned, horses fed and tucked in. Poor sales yearling is stuck inside for the forseeable future! It is Miserable!

Glimmerglass
Oct. 15, 2009, 01:46 PM
Biggest upset/longshot victory in the meet so far.

Thursday Oct 15 in Race 2: Claiming race with a purse $16,000. For Fillies And Mares Three Years Old And Upward on the synthetic track.

The longest horse in the field by a long shot at 62-1 when they went off (and far about the initial 30-1 morning line odds on her) takes the win! Congrats to Johanna Glyer with James Graham up beating the entire field and taking them gate to wire. The next longest odds horse in that race was just 15-1 so there was an entire gulf between her and the rest.

Glimmerglass
Oct. 15, 2009, 02:26 PM
(pdf) Peb Collection Donated to Keeneland Library (http://www.paulickreport.com/wp-content/uploads/image/Daily%20Racing%20Form’s%20Peb%20Collection%20Don ated%20to%20Keeneland%20Library.pdf)

... announced the donation of nearly a half-century of his humorous caricatures and
equine cartoons to the Keeneland Library.

The collection includes approximately 4,000 original works of art, including caricatures of racing luminaries, both human and equine, as well as cartoons celebrating major racing events.

Proceeds from marketing and merchandising efforts related to Peb’s art will be used to maintain and preserve the collection and further the work of other equine artists and related scholarship.

Peb’s works represent the second major collection donated by the Form to the Keeneland Library. In 2000, the Daily Racing Form donated its entire archival collection of newspapers, including the Morning Telegraph. That collection is now in the process of being digitized.

With that action it appears his website is somewhat ceased (http://www.pebsite.com/).

This was his DRF cover this year for the Preakness with Rachel Alexandra (http://www.drf.com/tc/preakness/2009/images/Preakness09_1024x1123.jpg)

Glimmerglass
Oct. 22, 2009, 05:22 PM
It's been perfect weather in Lexington - or at least looks as such - for the last two days of racing. Today reaffirmed the skills of one trainer as being almost peerless with working with older horses to run for days on turf!!

Jonathan Sheppard trained 9-yr old Cloudy's Knight wins the Sycamore Stakes (Grade 3) with Rosemary Homeister, Jr up.

A very game 2nd was Mr/Mrs Bert Firestone's Winchester with both horses in fact splitting another just yards out from the finish.

Mind you the old man of Cloudy's Knight also took the Kentucky Cup Stakes (Grade 3) at Kentucky Downs about 1 month ago. His prior start to that? Sep 2008.

Nothing like bringing a horse out from "the pasture" to run a couple of graded races a year :D CK was a Canadian Champion long ago and has over $2.2M in earnings but prior to being turned over to Sheppard in 2009 he had become sour with poor form.

Next stop? Very likely the Breeders' Cup Marathon! Would - if he wins that race - be the oldest BC winner?

Video Replay - Race 8 (http://www.racereplays.com/kee/video.cfm?raceid=%2D%3A322F%29%3B%22U%3A%5F%2F3X%4 0%3F%21P%20%20%0A&title=Today%27s%20Replays)

Glimmerglass
Oct. 22, 2009, 06:24 PM
Jonathan Sheppard trained 9-yr old Cloudy's Knight wins the Sycamore Stakes (Grade 3) with Rosemary Homeister, Jr up.

Next stop? Very likely the Breeders' Cup Marathon! Would - if he wins that race - be the oldest BC winner?

No, he won't after all and I'll tip my cap to Sheppard on his comments: (http://drf.com/news/article/108338.html)

Sheppard said afterward that he will not send Cloudy's Knight, the 9-year-old former Canadian champion, to Santa Anita for the Nov. 7 Breeders' Cup Marathon, as he had briefly contemplated approaching the race. "It might be a little greedy," said a smiling Sheppard, citing several reasons not to go, including expense and timing.

Sheppard now has won 5 of the 15 runnings of the Sycamore, having previously won in 2000 with Crowd Pleaser and in 2001-2002-2005 with Rochester. :)

Cloudy's Knight, the second choice in a field of 12 older horses, returned $10.20 with his 12th victory from 38 career starts. He was making just his second start for Sheppard, and his second since a one-year layoff that resulted from a soft-tissue injury to a hind leg.

Homeister echoed the sentiments of many racing fans when she called Sheppard "the turf master."

Ontrack attendance on a cool, cloudy Thursday afternoon was 8,942!

Glimmerglass
Oct. 23, 2009, 04:17 PM
And to give a nod to those who own this BB and The Chronicle of the Horse magazine: Race 7 at Keeneland Fri 10/23 - Pin Oak Valley View Stakes (Grade 3) - was the 12 horse.

Katara (KY) owned and bred by Whitewood Stable, Inc. (Ohrstrom family), trained by Michael Matz and ridden by Shawn Bridgemohan.

Alas the filly didn't find any magic on the turf and was well off the board. Bluegrass Princess too the win with Johnny V.

Glimmerglass
Oct. 24, 2009, 12:45 PM
Today (Sat 10-24) the Budweiser Clydesdales will make an ontrack appearance between races as they did for the Spring meet as well.

I'll take my well deserved lumps and agree that I was incorrect (http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/horse/news/story?id=4589865) with my assesment that Proviso would've won the Juddmonte Spinster Stakes (Oct 11) even if there hadn't been interferrence with Mushka. Per Trakkus and their data analysis it was quite the opposite:

In a lengthy explanation to the Keeneland publicity staff, Michael Ciacciarelli, chief executive officer for Trakus, said Mushka was traveling about 2.2 feet per second faster than Proviso at the time of the foul. Had there been no foul and if the two horses had kept a constant speed for the remaining 380 feet of the race, Mushka would have won by about 1 1/2 lengths, Ciacciarelli said.

If anyone is looking for an ex race horse that just ran last week at Keeneland ....

Wee Bit Fancy, eased in distress at the finish of the second race Sunday, did not suffer a life-threatening injury but will be retired by owner-trainer Glenn Wismer, who is donating the 6-year-old mare to the Kentucky Equine Humane Center in Nicholasville, Ky., for adoption.

Possibly the last start of Just Jenda with Larry Jones as the trainer will be today. She is in the Grade 2 Raven Run Stakes which will be a full race of 14 starters.

Las Olas
Oct. 24, 2009, 10:01 PM
I know this filly. I think she won a small stake out in CA. Glenn is my trainer (and friend). I will be up there this week as I have a horse entered at Keeneland. If anyone is interested in her I can pass along your info and get her vet records.

If anyone is looking for an ex race horse that just ran last week at Keeneland ....

Quote:
Wee Bit Fancy, eased in distress at the finish of the second race Sunday, did not suffer a life-threatening injury but will be retired by owner-trainer Glenn Wismer, who is donating the 6-year-old mare to the Kentucky Equine Humane Center in Nicholasville, Ky., for adoption.

Glimmerglass
Oct. 26, 2009, 10:06 AM
Regarding Wee Bit Fancy From Alicia Wincze's blog - Oct 18 (http://horseracing.bloginky.com/2009/10/18/happy-ending-for-wee-bit-fancy/):

Wee Bit Fancy, a six-year-old daughter of Dominique’s Cat, was pulled up by jockey Willie Martinez in the stretch of today’s second race and vanned off with an injury to her right front. The bay mare apparently dislocated her right front ankle but it was popped back in place before she was loaded onto the ambulance, according to Dr. Bryce Peckham, chief racing veterinarian for the Kentucky Horse Racing Commission.

Bred in California by Mercedes Stables, Wee Bit Fancy won five of 29 lifetime starts and earned just under $160,000.

On Sunday with the feature race Black Mamba a New Zealand import and for now California-based for the Double Down Stables (Richard Templer) took the $125k Rood & Riddle Dowager Stakes. She earned her 7th victory in 30 career starts however the win doesn't change the plans to auction her off "as broodmare or racing prospect" next month.

Taking 2nd was the favorte - Winter View with Julien Leparoux up for the Augustin Stables (Geo. Strawbridge Jr) - who just was sacked by the very slow pace and yielding turf.

Youtube: video 2009 Rood and Riddle Dowager Stakes (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0E3vzJQsUs)

Glimmerglass
Oct. 26, 2009, 04:55 PM
Interesting bits including news that the trainer of Satan Quick Chick (http://drf.com/news/article/108417.html) - who won the Grade 2 Raven Run Stakes - wanted to scratch her before the race on Saturday afternoon. However Kentucky rules make that type of scratch (non medical) a no-no.

Veitch said he had been on the phone "all afternoon" Saturday with Jerry Jamgotchian, the California-based owner of Satans Quick Chick, the eventual longshot winner of the $300,000 Raven Run. Jamgotchian, sensing the race was too competitive for a filly who had never won a stakes, had wanted to scratch, but Veitch would not permit it.

For many years in Kentucky, a horse entered in a stakes race could be scratched, with no reason required, as late as 45 minutes before post time. But Veitch said the Kentucky Horse Racing Commission changed that rule "about a year or two ago," and the rule (810 KAR 1:027, Section 15, 1a) now reads in part that the scratch time for stakes is four hours before the race.

"In addition, if Mr. Jamgotchian had submitted a scratch in a timely manner, which he did not, then one of the two also-eligibles could have run - and both wanted to. Because the owner and trainer could not nor would not provide a physical reason to take the filly out of the race, we insisted that she run."

Veitch said he "had to explain the situation to Mr. Jamgotchian a number of times, but he finally came around to our point of view."

Also another example of Julien Leparoux flying where he needed to for the owners:

After riding Ivory Empress to a 10th-place finish in the Raven Run (post 5:14 Eastern) at Keeneland, Leparoux was able to make a flight to San Antonio, where his first mount of the night at Retama Park came aboard the victorious Lisa's Kitten in the La Senorita Stakes (post 9:47 Eastern).

About an hour later, Leparoux rode Kera's Kitten to win the El Joven Stakes.

Both 2-year-olds are owned by their breeders, Ken and Sarah Ramsey, and trained by Mike Maker.

Leparoux was back from Texas in time to ride Bail Baby Bail to a second-place finish in the second race Sunday at Keeneland.

Just curious, if anyone knows: typically what level of added compensation would I jockey get for agreeing to fly immediately from one track to another and back again? Clearly there is a physical cost to the jockey so I'd expect that added compensation.

Glimmerglass
Oct. 26, 2009, 05:46 PM
Interesting video - behind the scenes at Keeneland: the role of an outrider at the track (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRNLEjKtGoM&NR=1)

DickHertz
Oct. 26, 2009, 08:39 PM
Just curious, if anyone knows: typically what level of added compensation would I jockey get for agreeing to fly immediately from one track to another and back again? Clearly there is a physical cost to the jockey so I'd expect that added compensation.

It's up to the jock to pay his way when traveling for different races. Typically, a trainer won't ask a jock to go all over creation unless they have a great shot. Could the Ramsey's have said "hey we really want you to go and we'll pay your way"? Yeah, I suppose, but he's made more than enough money with the Ramsey's to foot the $800-$1,000 round trip airline ticket...it's not like he was riding 30-1 shots, he was on two heavy chalk horses while making $12,000 for the evening.

Pronzini
Oct. 26, 2009, 10:28 PM
I know this filly. I think she won a small stake out in CA. Glenn is my trainer (and friend). I will be up there this week as I have a horse entered at Keeneland. If anyone is interested in her I can pass along your info and get her vet records.

She won the Pio Pico at Fairplex.

Glimmerglass
Oct. 29, 2009, 04:33 PM
Going off shortly (Thur Oct 29) in race 8: Ocean Colors the oft cited daughter of 1988 Kentucky Derby Winning Colors. The 2nd to last off spring of WC who was looking exceptional last year in her first starts but tied up and hasn't quite returned to form.

Glimmerglass
Oct. 30, 2009, 01:42 PM
Ocean Colors took the lead for most of the race, fought gamely in the stretch, falling back by a 1/2 length, then digging in and coming back to lead by a nose, however she yielded by about neck at the wire to finish 2nd.

Saturday (closing day) might be off the turf owing to impending heavy rains. Hopefully for those interested fans the weather won't derail the maiden start of Lentenor (although Mr/Mr Roy Jackson will oddly skip watching it in person) (http://cs.bloodhorse.com/blogs/nicanor/archive/2009/10/28/Lentenor-entered-for-first-race.aspx) in the 5th race in a $50,000 maiden special weight on the main track.

In the first race Friday (Oct 30) there was a spill during the race in mid pack which went completely un-cited by caller Kurt Becker as well as TVG on-site after the race. They only cited the spill (which I thought by then I had imagined seeing) on TVG after airing a few other races around the country and almost 10 minutes passed. The horse is surprisingly fine, he finished the race in fact, the jockey was however taken off in an ambulance ...

Glimmerglass
Oct. 30, 2009, 04:07 PM
If you want to see an impressive maiden run (by a 3-yr old filly) watch today's 6th race:

Link to Keeneland's free race replays: click on race 6 (http://www.racereplays.com/kee/TREP_Frame.cfm)

Warbling (KY) with Julien up has gobs of speed - despite the extremely strong headwind - and just enjoys a very well-paid workout.

Glimmerglass
Oct. 30, 2009, 05:04 PM
In the first race Friday (Oct 30) there was a spill during the race in mid pack which went completely un-cited by caller Kurt Becker as well as TVG on-site after the race. They only cited the spill (which I thought by then I had imagined seeing) on TVG after airing a few other races around the country and almost 10 minutes passed. The horse is surprisingly fine, he finished the race in fact, the jockey was however taken off in an ambulance ...

Update: Spill leaves jockey Brimo in critical condition (http://drf.com/news/article/108556.html)

Jockey Julia Brimo was in critical condition at a Lexington hospital late Friday afternoon after suffering injuries when her mount, Golden Stride, fell after clipping heels in the first race at Keeneland.

University of Kentucky Hospital would not release any details on Brimo's injury, other than her being in critical condition, but trainer Mark Casse, for whom Brimo worked previously, said his ex-wife, Jennifer Christiansen, was at the hospital with Brimo and informed him that she had suffered head and back injuries.

Casse said he was reluctant to speak too much regarding her condition, knowing that her condition could be changing. He said he was told she has movement in her legs, but was placed in an induced coma because of recurring seizures.

An Ontario native, Brimo, 33, won a Sovereign Award as the top apprentice jockey in Canada in 2003, when she rode 75 winners. In recent years, she has regularly galloped horses while riding less frequently. She has ridden in 10 races this year, winning once.

Since beginning her career in 2001, she has won with 163 of 1,612 mounts.

Thoughts and prayers with Ms. Brimo :(

Calico
Oct. 30, 2009, 05:06 PM
deleted ... jock update already posted

Glimmerglass
Oct. 31, 2009, 02:16 PM
No condition change (that has ben published) in regards to injured jock Julia Brimo (http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewImage&friendID=177276856&albumID=133663&imageID=372426) - TVG did start off their Keeneland day with mention of it and passing along their best wishes though.

I think I missed The Headless Horseman who was to appear on Keeneland’s main track following the third race (approximately 2:10 p.m. EST). Here is an older image of him in the paddock at Keeneland (http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2097/1774688697_bca4260d84.jpg)

ETA - TVG replayed his appearance :D

Glimmerglass
Nov. 1, 2009, 09:18 PM
Per the DRF - as of late Sat (11/31) (http://drf.com/news/article/108598.html) Jockey Julia Brimo's condition remained unchanged in critical condition and in a coma.

Brimo was injured after her mount, Golden Stride, clipped heels during Friday's first race, for $30,000 maiden claimers. After she was thrown from the horse, Golden Stride appeared to roll over the fallen rider. Golden Stride recovered from the fall and was eventually collared by an outrider.

Though she won 75 races in her apprentice year, Brimo has ridden sporadically over the past several years. Prior to Friday she had ridden in 10 races this year, with one win.

Keeneland's 17-day fall meet was good news essentially across the board although attendance was hurt significantly by the poor weather.

Though final handle figures are not yet confirmed, combined on-track and off-track wagering totaled $119,055,703, up 8.7 percent from $109,482,898 in 2008. Average daily total wagering was $7,003,277, up from $6,440,170 last fall.

Unseasonably cool, rainy weather throughout most of the meeting impacted on-track attendance, which totaled 192,211 for the meet, a decrease of 19.6 percent from last fall’s 239,117. Average daily attendance was 11,307 compared to 14,065 in 2008.

Trainer title: Ken McPeek outdistanced his peers to take his first Keeneland training title with 17 wins. (It was the most wins by a trainer during the fall since the 17 recorded by Hall of Fame trainer D. Wayne Lukas in the fall of 1995. Lukas, Keeneland’s all-time leading trainer, holds the fall season record of 22 wins, set in 1989.)

Jockey title: Jockey Robby Albarado earned his second consecutive fall meet riding title and fourth overall (joining spring 2002 and 2004) with 25 wins.

Owners title: Ken and Sarah Ramsey accumulated five wins to capture their sixth leading owner title at Keeneland. The Ramseys have previously earned honors in the fall 2008, fall 2007 (tie), spring 2006, spring 2004 (tie) and fall 2002 (tie).