PDA

View Full Version : coats for scrawny, long armed teens?

maudie
Oct. 6, 2009, 08:48 PM
My dilemma is that I'm built like a 2x4... you think I'm joking! I need a size 2, but the sleeves end up well above my wrists and really mess with my movement. I currently have a 4R, the sleeves and shoulders are nice, but the chest and waist area is really baggy on me, not the most flattering look I'm told. I end up with weird baggy areas under my armpit so I look like a flying squirrel.

Do you have any suggestions for good coats? Is there a possibility I can tailor this coat or it is a lost cause?

HowDoILook
Oct. 6, 2009, 09:03 PM
Im built just like you!!! my waist and chest can fit in a kids size jacket but im just to darn long :D What I did was get a RJ Classics Jacket size 0 Long, and had my mom just move the buttons over a little bit. They werent moved so far that it made the jacket look like it was being pulled forward though. I did just try on a RJ's Kids 16 Long though and it fits perfectly!

The sad thing is people think that I show my pony in the Large Ponies now... but im actually doing Adult Hunters :lol: :lol: :lol: I just look child-like

cabby773
Oct. 6, 2009, 09:08 PM
Try RJ Classics- I wear a 0 long, so you could try that or a 2L. I think there is a little bit of extra fabric in the sleeves that you could let out if they are too short still, but I am tall and thin and their coats fit me nicely. They are also nice because you can find some that are pretty inexpensive but still are good quality. I'm sure you could tailor the coat you have as well if you don't want to spend more money.

showmom858
Oct. 6, 2009, 09:30 PM
My DD wears a 0 regular in the RJ Classics, but I had to take it to the tailor to have the sleeves taken down. There is about an inch of extra fabric so this was fine. You should take the coat that is too baggy to a tailor and have them fit it to you.

klmck63
Oct. 6, 2009, 10:04 PM
If the coat fits otherwise, I'd take it to a tailor and explain exactly what you need first before you buy a whole new one.

They can only do so much to make thing bigger or longer, but they can do pretty much whatever you need in terms of making things smaller!

I find it's important to mention that it's actually an athletic garment though, aka you need some shoulder room!

maudie
Oct. 6, 2009, 10:09 PM
thanks! I have a RJ Classics Diamond that I got on sale for 99.99. I could probably sell it. Is there another place besides tacktrader.com?

I'm going to quarter horse congress this weekend, does anyone know if there is going to be a consignment place there?

Elementgrl2
Oct. 6, 2009, 10:23 PM
Try a Grand Prix slim cut and extra sleeve lenght

superpony123
Oct. 6, 2009, 11:28 PM
try the tailored sportsman coats. they're made for your shape, pretty much.

Spooks
Oct. 7, 2009, 09:56 AM
I have the same build. I also got the RJ Classics 0T and it fits great. I have a Grand Prix 10 slim (might be a tall-slim?) which looks really nice too but was significantly more expensive. I think I paid about $100 for the RJ and $400 for the GP.