PDA

View Full Version : X-C schooling video: How and How Not To

canyonoak
Oct. 6, 2009, 07:35 PM
http://www.horsetalk.co.nz/news/2009/10/041.shtml

<< British Eventing has launched a cross-country riding DVD as part of its Safety Manifesto to visually show how - and how not to, ride across country....>>

the link above includes the video--which is free.

enjoytheride
Oct. 6, 2009, 07:42 PM
awww I feel so sorry for the horsey in the video. Such a good boy who can take a joke all day long with a smile on his face. Rider has some skills to fall off without falling off lol.

Beam Me Up
Oct. 6, 2009, 08:13 PM
I want that horse!

Zephyr
Oct. 6, 2009, 09:15 PM
What a great horse :)

IrishDeclan
Oct. 6, 2009, 09:31 PM
What a sweet pony!!!! Although I did notice that at the end when he jumped the bounce into the water, he ended up one striding it. One wonders if that's perhaps because he had been chased to bad distances with a rider flopping all over his back for a few hours:winkgrin:. That rider is obviously experienced, and I kept thinking how foreign it must have felt to him to have to do these mistakes on purpose!! I understand the concept behind the video, but could it perhaps have been made using footage that already exists. It seems like it would have been a little more realistic that way. Either way, interesting video. Thanks for sharing!! :)

Kairoshorses
Oct. 6, 2009, 09:46 PM
What a great, cat-like horse. And a rider who can do "bad" position so well w/o falling off. Great video!

Meredith Clark
Oct. 6, 2009, 09:46 PM
I understand the concept behind the video, but could it perhaps have been made using footage that already exists. It seems like it would have been a little more realistic that way. Either way, interesting video. Thanks for sharing!! :)

:lol:

How many people who sign a release for their footage to be in the "what not to do" category?

I probably would but I also posted these pictures (http://pets.webshots.com/album/560959721TyovGI) on COTH for fun!

IrishDeclan
Oct. 6, 2009, 10:30 PM
:lol:

How many people who sign a release for their footage to be in the "what not to do" category?

I probably would but I also posted these pictures (http://pets.webshots.com/album/560959721TyovGI) on COTH for fun!

I see your point!! I guess I didn't really think before I typed that. :cool:

jen-s
Oct. 6, 2009, 10:31 PM
I'd give up a kidney for a horse like that!

nomeolvides
Oct. 7, 2009, 06:03 AM
The rider is Angus Smales, who has ridden at 3* and 4* level :)

joharavhf
Oct. 7, 2009, 12:28 PM
What an awesome horse! The horse didn't flick his ears back the entire video! :D

Jeannette, formerly ponygyrl
Oct. 7, 2009, 12:58 PM
am I blind (entirely possible) or is my computer hiding something? (also possiible - she can be a wwee bit slow or balky) Where is the video? I read the article just fine...

nomeolvides
Oct. 7, 2009, 01:20 PM
am I blind (entirely possible) or is my computer hiding something? (also possiible - she can be a wwee bit slow or balky) Where is the video? I read the article just fine...
If you cannot see the video, try www.britisheventing.com and click on "safety".

Mastermart55
Oct. 7, 2009, 04:39 PM
That horse is AWESOME!!

TXnGA
Oct. 7, 2009, 05:03 PM
I think the video is both good and bad. I can't tell you the number of times I have seen 3* and 4* riders at big name events rideing like some of the so called "bad rides" in the video. Case in point, some of Leslie Laws rides on Shear Lo (sp) and Shear H20 at Badminton/ European championships where he is supposedly "chasing the horse" to the jump, as the vidoe puts it.

I think it is good because it shows some good riding examples, but at the same time, the only difference in the way the rider rode both the good and bad examples was just in the good parts he sat correctly and didn't bounce aruond. IN the bad parts he flopped around loosly and purposly dangled on the horse, the horse (for the most part) was ridden correctly- I am referring to the bounce into water, same before/ during/ after in the horse's tempo/ striding, the only difference was the rider bouncing around and making it look like he was going to fall and sloppy reins.

I think it is bad because are "we" event riders across the world supposed to be perfect every jump and every ride. Nobody is perfect every jump and every ride. For example the year that DOC almost ate it in the water at rolex and bounce around in the saddle but made it through the Rolex water...

If this is the case every upper level rider would be considered poor or dangerous riding... Any thoughts?:(

But I only watched the first 7 minutes....

enjoytheride
Oct. 7, 2009, 05:40 PM
I think you are seeing a dead honest and broke to death horse that can figure out where his own feet go and get himself out of anything his stupid rider puts him into and still come out with his ears up looking for me. In short, the horse is priceless.

Nothing wrong with trying to be perfect every time every ride. The more perfect we ride the good fences the better equipped we are to handle the bad fences because our body knows where it is supposed to go.

IrishWillow
Oct. 7, 2009, 05:57 PM
What a lovely, tolerant animal! Beautiful