PDA

View Full Version : Website Critique

RyuEquestrian
Oct. 6, 2009, 06:30 PM
I was wondering if you guys could offer some constructive criticisms on my website (www.SakuraHillFarm.com). I am looking for clarity of content, are the pictures appropriate, what is missing? are the videos useful/appropriate etc.

Things I already know need changing:
I need "The Farm" text on the front to go on it's own page as it's too long. I need an "About Us" drop down menu at the top where "About us" and "Breeding Philosophy" will go. Pictures for Bijin and Ultraniki don't quite fit- but they are in Europe and am relying on someone else taking their pictures. Some of the text on some of the horses' pages go past the border... I'm still trying to figure out how to fix this.

Thanks guys for your input ahead of time.

indygirl2560
Oct. 6, 2009, 06:42 PM
Overall, you farm looks nice from the pictures and descriptions on the website.
The things I didn't like were....
-the extra space on the right side of every page
-the length of some of your pages(you mentioned you already know about the home page, but other pages need to be broken up too; that might help the viewer to not feel overwhelmed by really long pages)
-I'm not sure whether to like the horse cut-out on the front page or not; some part of me likes it and the other part says "cheesy"
-Also, it bothered me that the home page isn't at the far left of the tabs. On most websites the home tab is at the far left and the links/contact are at the far right

The things I liked....
-clear pictures of horses that are obviously taken care of
-numerous pictures and a video of your sport horses and mares
-I also liked the gallery view of the sport horses, young horses, and mares

Your website gave me a good impression of your farm, but it just needs a few tweaks. :)

RyuEquestrian
Oct. 6, 2009, 06:45 PM
Overall, you farm looks nice from the pictures and descriptions on the website.
The things I didn't like were....
-the extra space on the right side of every page
-the length of some of your pages(you mentioned you already know about the home page, but other pages need to be broken up too; that might help the viewer to not feel overwhelmed by really long pages)
-I'm not sure whether to like the horse cut-out on the front page or not; some part of me likes it and the other part says "cheesy"
-Also, it bothered me that the home page isn't at the far left of the tabs. On most websites the home tab is at the far left and the links/contact are at the far right

The things I liked....
-clear pictures of horses that are obviously taken care of
-numerous pictures and a video of your sport horses and mares
-I also liked the gallery view of the sport horses, young horses, and mares

Your website gave me a good impression of your farm, but it just needs a few tweaks. :)

Thanks, this is just the sort of thing I'm looking for.

Agreed about the necessity of a "facilities" tab and the only reason there is so much blank space is apparently (so the original designer said it is necessary for bigger screens) and yes, i know the silly home tab is on the wrong side- very juvenile error!

RyuEquestrian
Oct. 6, 2009, 06:47 PM
Also, what did you mean about the gallery view? I was thing of changing this to something where the viewer can see all the thumbnails at once and pick and choose, rather than not know how many there are to view.

indygirl2560
Oct. 6, 2009, 08:49 PM
Also, what did you mean about the gallery view? I was thing of changing this to something where the viewer can see all the thumbnails at once and pick and choose, rather than not know how many there are to view.
By gallery view, I meant that when you click on, say, the sport horse tab, a page with a picture of each of the horses comes up, and when you click a picture, that specific horse's page comes up; I liked it.

Also, I have a very big computer screen(very wide) and the odd spacing is still there.

RyuEquestrian
Oct. 6, 2009, 08:52 PM
Got it! I'll look into it. Thanks again :-)

Peggy
Oct. 6, 2009, 09:24 PM
I like the colors and the crisp photos. Easy to navigate too.

In some of the pages (the main page and some of the individual horse for sale pages, such as Zorriola) the photos are all centered on individual lines. Would it be possible to array them so they were a couple across so as to avoid some scrolling? It's like that on some of the other pages.

The little brown boxes kind of leave me cold.

I would put your location on the main page somewhere. Doesn't have to be the full contact info. I don't know why, but it makes sense to me to do it that way.

Instead of having the titles for each page be the same (Sakura Hill Farm), I would give them different titles such as Sakura Hill Farm Sport Horses for Sale. Probably mostly b/c I was taught by nerds but I think it does help with searches????

RyuEquestrian
Oct. 6, 2009, 09:29 PM
I like the colors and the crisp photos. Easy to navigate too.

In some of the pages (the main page and some of the individual horse for sale pages, such as Zorriola) the photos are all centered on individual lines. Would it be possible to array them so they were a couple across so as to avoid some scrolling? It's like that on some of the other pages.

The little brown boxes kind of leave me cold.

I would put your location on the main page somewhere. Doesn't have to be the full contact info. I don't know why, but it makes sense to me to do it that way.

Instead of having the titles for each page be the same (Sakura Hill Farm), I would give them different titles such as Sakura Hill Farm Sport Horses for Sale. Probably mostly b/c I was taught by nerds but I think it does help with searches????

Thank you for your input. what little brown boxes are you referring to? I just noticed the titles of the tabs all being the same-I'll inquire about how to get that fixed. I agree about the photos, but would you rather them be arrayed and smaller or larger? I just figured people would want the photos to be larger, but I agree that the scrolling needs to be controlled I've gone scrolling mad! :lol: Thanks again!

RegentLion
Oct. 6, 2009, 10:16 PM
Ok take this all with a grain of salt... but here are my thoughts. :lol:

Over all, I like it but I don't love the drop down menu system. I'd rather be able to click a link that says "young horses" and then see all of your young stock on one page, versus clicking on each name individually. As a casual visitor, I'm not likely to look at every link in every drop down menu. I don't know how other people are, though.

If you're going for maximum exposure of your horses you may want to organize it a little differently... young horses (pic and blurb of each on the same page), sale horses (pick and blurb of each on same page), mares, sport horses, etc.. You could even have an option to click an individual horse's picture for more indepth information, keeping the page from being too long. That way it is a little more user friendly. JMHO.

Your choices of pictures are great and I like your wording/description a lot. I also like the embedded video clips. I think it is a great start and it might just come down to personal preference in terms of organization of the site.

:D

RyuEquestrian
Oct. 6, 2009, 10:19 PM
I agree that the organization needs to be cleaned up a lot. I did add a "Roster" option in the drop down which takes you to a page with a picture and name of each horse from which you can go directly to their page- is that any help? Or should I label it differently?

Clarence
Oct. 6, 2009, 10:24 PM
Just on first glance. Homepage should not be scrollable (almost everyone does it, but is not correct).

Also, center your pages. No extra space on right.

Nice colors and pics.

RyuEquestrian
Oct. 6, 2009, 10:26 PM
Thanks, so noted: no scrolling on homepage- agreed, it's be said to me before, it's just a matter of me getting the design changed to put the info else where and I need to figure out what's going on with the space to the right!

Thanks for everyone's suggestions and notes! Keep 'em coming!

Sugarbrook
Oct. 6, 2009, 10:27 PM
Hate to be negative, but you asked. I don't like the print mixed with the light purple background. Makes the print hard to see. I like crisp and clean.

too much empty space. And IMHO, too many words. I was overwhelmed just looking at the mares page.

I loved the crisp clean, clear nice pictures. You need to build on that. Your horses look lovely, but lets just enjoy them without too much going on.

And thank goodness you dont have music!!!

RyuEquestrian
Oct. 6, 2009, 10:33 PM
Between me and my mom- she's the writer and I'm the videographer/photographer... I think between the two of us and some hard work we can get the balance just right! There is so much text and information I'm even overwhelmed as to where to start editing out and make new pages for things!

RyuEquestrian
Oct. 6, 2009, 10:33 PM
Hate to be negative, but you asked. I don't like the print mixed with the light purple background. Makes the print hard to see. I like crisp and clean.

too much empty space. And IMHO, too many words. I was overwhelmed just looking at the mares page.

I loved the crisp clean, clear nice pictures. You need to build on that. Your horses look lovely, but lets just enjoy them without too much going on.

And thank goodness you dont have music!!!

And p.s- I love your ponies, you, on more than one occasion have tempted my mother to want to get into the ponies.

Sugarbrook
Oct. 6, 2009, 10:37 PM
You will get it just wonderful. I know.

So, no purple background. Less words. Home first on left. Less is better. People can always call for more info. With my website I could go on and on and on, and try to limit, and maybe I dont give enough info. Its hard to do it just perfect!!!:)

Pally
Oct. 7, 2009, 12:24 AM
I didn't look at the nitty gritty, but from the first glance perspective....

I also didn't like the flower print....just slightly too busy. Love the background color though.

Not really a fan of the cutout horse. While it's well done enough not to be garish, it still kind of says amateur to me. And, well, his belly is drawing all the attention in that pose (I don't think he has a huge belly, but it does kind of look like it there).

And just a little bit of discontinuity from page to page....things like picture layout, etc. should be similar page to page

Peggy
Oct. 7, 2009, 02:04 AM
Screen shot with (hopefully) arrows pointing to brown boxes. These are also on other pages of the site. Maybe they are tiled?

Safari browser 4.0.3. Mac OS 10.5.8

RyuEquestrian
Oct. 7, 2009, 09:09 AM
Aaaah, those little brown boxes, they are so faint I had forgotten about them.

sansibar
Oct. 7, 2009, 09:26 AM
I also would like to say that the photoshopping of the horse on the title page is a little amateur looking, the edges are too sharp, they should be more feathered, I also think the cut off hoof is stack, leave some of the background of that photo it will look better.

I like the movie, but I agree your home page should not be that long... I think the movie should be up near the top, with maybe a few words below it.

The drop down menus are also way too big, and they are annoying because it blocks a good portion of the site if you scroll over it by mistake.

jmo. :)

RyuEquestrian
Oct. 7, 2009, 09:53 AM
Since I can't do much about the actual design of the website aside from changing pictures around and text would you guys steer your focus onto critiquing the content for clarity. For instance, are the programs we offer clear? are they missing something? Is there anything else as buyers you would like to see, or wish was offered?

For the design the main points noted have been: minimize scrolling/drop down menus, get rid of the empty space, perhaps change out the horse on the front page, keep the opening page clean and simple- no need for scrolling, change the order of the tabs, add a tab for "The Farm" and "About Us".

Thanks again guys for the input, it's really helpful and I have a great big long list to work on.