PDA

View Full Version : If a horse's pelvis/sacroiliac is out, can it self adjust?

Showjumper28
Oct. 6, 2009, 04:23 PM
If horse is out in the pelvic/sacroiliac, can it go back into place on it's own? I have a friend who's horse has on going lameness issues in the feet. Limping causes the horses pelvis/sacroiliac to go out. She usually has the chriopractor come out to adjust him. She noticed he was out again but before the chiro could come out, he was re-aligned. Could he have done it himself, doing something out in the paddock? If so is this a bad sign that it so easily went back? I'm not totally versed in equine chiropractics so please excuse my ignorance. Thanks...

pines4equines
Oct. 6, 2009, 04:45 PM
I've always heard that rolling is a horse's natural way to realign himself as well as a really good shake. You can tickle a horse lightly with a pin at the base of the mane or around the withers to try to get a really good shake out of him. Try different areas to see where it'll cause a shake.

KrazyTBMare
Oct. 6, 2009, 05:55 PM
Ditto on the rolling and shaking. Also, doing the cat back stretches (when you run your finger nails on either side of the rump to make them arch their backs like a cat) can help.

My holstic vet uses this stretch to adjust the SI/hip/pelvis depending on how badly it is out. It can also adjust the lower back.

I was really happy that after a ride last week, I did this, and my mare adjusted in her T17/18 area (an area she goes out in a lot) on both sides. Def had her back nice and loose after riding.

pines4equines
Oct. 6, 2009, 09:45 PM
Krazy said: "...Also, doing the cat back stretches (when you run your finger nails on either side of the rump to make them arch their backs like a cat) can help."

Are you saying on either side of the tail? Either side of the spine at the top of the rump, where? I would like to try this. Please let us know.

KrazyTBMare
Oct. 6, 2009, 10:41 PM
Like you start above the hip, like 3-4 inches on either side of the spine. You can either run your nails down at the same time but my vet prefers to "tickle" single spots, working down towards the hamstring, so the movement isnt so quick and abrupt.

So start above the hip, right usually where most rumps start to angle downward. Some horses are really sensitive and dont require a lot of pressure while some need more. Start with less and work up to more to see what gets your horse to respond.

I use my finger nail and "tickle" the spot until my horse arches her back up like a cat. Some horses will step up and/or away but as long as they lift the back, that is good. Then go further back towards the tail and tickle like 4" further back. Same reaction. About 3-4" more back, etc until you get to the point of the butt.

Here is a pic of my mare and I put little green dots where I tickle. Also, after doing the cat back stretch, you can also go to the midline and tickle there to lift the belly.

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r186/krazytbmare1/catbackstretchpoints.jpg

If you dont have nails, the end of a comb or hoof pick just be careful!