PDA

View Full Version : Saddle help for a new Eventer!

Mastermart55
Oct. 6, 2009, 03:05 PM
I recently decided to get into eventing and I need advice for a good saddle that won't break the bank. Previously I showed in Hunter/Jumpers and my saddle is 16 years old and to be honest it literally can feel like I am bareback while schooling XC. Not a good feeling! What do you guys recommend as a good XC/SJ saddle?

lionstigersbears
Oct. 6, 2009, 04:22 PM
The first saddle I evented in was a Collegiate Senior Event saddle belonging to my trainer, I absolutely loved it, but it didn't fit my horse (they now do convertible ones, which probably would have worked as well as anything, go figure) so I ended up getting a Collegiate convertible Diploma close contact saddle that was fine for me, but not nearly as 'secure' as the Senior Event saddle. My friend had a Circuit Elite XC saddle that was really comfy too, but I only rode in it a couple times. I know Dover does test rides, where you can try a saddle out before buying it, but my advice would be to go to a big tack shop in your area and talk to the experts there. I found my dressage saddle that way and it fit me and my horse like a glove. Good luck!

LovinRocky
Oct. 6, 2009, 04:24 PM
I really liked my Courbette Vision! It is very secure and fits a wide variety of horses due to the design.
You can really find some good deals out there right now on the Visions also. I'm planning to sell mine for $1200 and it looks almost new!
I just got a STEAL on Ebay, a Jaguar monoflap, so I'm gonna be trying that out. It would break the bank though, thats why I never had one before this rare find!

Mastermart55
Oct. 6, 2009, 04:59 PM
Any thoughts on the Pessoa Legacy?

Highflyer
Oct. 6, 2009, 05:01 PM
I really like my "new" Stubben Roxane (it was a used on ebay bargain, too!) My trainer also recommended the Ainsley and the Jeffries Flyover as good quality saddles to look for used for under $1k. If you can, I'd try to borrow a few different ones, or at least go to a big tack store and sit in a bunch. I found, going from a totally flat close contact, that some saddles just had too much knee roll. My boss has an Ainsley, and I rode in it and hated it. I sat in a new Stubben at BoB and it was instant love--it has a knee block to save me when my horse does a mega leap, but not much padding so I still feel like a close contact.

scubed
Oct. 7, 2009, 06:55 AM
I'm 5'3" and have to say the Pessoas never fit me well and I found them uncomfortable, but saddle fit is such a personal thing. When I was your age, I evented in an older Barnsby saddle, probably somewhat like this one:
http://www.warmbloodsforsale.net/saddles/jumping-saddles-for_sale/NEW-Barnsby-Milton-Jumping-Saddle---17-Med_eb_290309303526

Then, when I returned to eventing, I borrowed a saddle from my trainer for a couple of years that I rode several horses in and loved. It was a Courbette Pandur: http://www.horsemall.com/courbette/pg35.html (an older model), essentially like this one: http://cleveland.craigslist.org/spo/1388116630.html

I also rode up to intermediate in a Berney Bros Dublin Jumper: http://www.usedsaddles.com/product.htm?id=fyzgvlzk

I really loved my Albion Kontrol, though they are pricier. I got it used from England (ebay UK) and paid less. They don't make this saddle anymore and I have occasionally heard that Albion quality isn't what it used to be, but I haven't ridden in one for 3 or 4 years and the one I had was a slightly older model. I now ride in a Devoucoux Oreka, which I like, but don't love though it is great on the youngster since it is quite comfortable to do both flat work and jumping in.

MoreCowBelle
Oct. 7, 2009, 09:13 AM
i really like my M. Toulousse Monoflap, plus they aren't super expensive & it fits my fat/cow like horse :)

jn4jenny
Oct. 7, 2009, 09:25 AM
I recently decided to get into eventing and I need advice for a good saddle that won't break the bank. Previously I showed in Hunter/Jumpers and my saddle is 16 years old and to be honest it literally can feel like I am bareback while schooling XC. Not a good feeling! What do you guys recommend as a good XC/SJ saddle?

Honestly, if you're just doing the lower levels and you like your current saddle, the cheapest solution would be to have a saddler add knee rolls and thigh blocks. My guess is that your saddle probably doesn't fit you after 16 years--I don't mean that as an insult, but I know very few people who were the exact same size 16 years before and after, either in terms of height or weight. If it doesn't fit you, then yes, maybe it's time to trade it in.

If you're hell bent on buying another saddle, then the first thing to consider is whether you're fitting a single horse or a wide variety of horses. Think about what kind of horses those are (wide-backed draft crosses, shark-fin Thoroughbreds, etc.). Then think about your own saddle needs, like whether you need a forward flap or a short flap or whatever. Then choose a price range. If you have more than 10 models of saddle left after those three criteria are determined, I would be shocked.

Asking other people what saddle they use and love is like asking people what kind of underwear they wear: there's no logic to it and their advice doesn't really help you. Sad but true.

OneMoreForTheRoad
Oct. 7, 2009, 01:00 PM

I have the pessoa A/O and I love it, very secure, comfortable, the wide panels fit a lot of horses.
My friend has the legacy and she loves it, especially the interchangeable tree. I'm a Pessoa fan, they're good saddles for the price. But my dream saddle is the Vega Monoflap :)

Sudi's Girl
Oct. 7, 2009, 02:31 PM

I actrually really like it - My BO has it and has allowed me to ride in it a couple times. I actually find it very similar to my current Prestige Event saddle except the seat is more comfortable and slightly wider. The only reason I went with the Prestige over it is that I found a used one on Ebay that was cheaper than the Legacy Event. :) Both great saddles though (very balanced) - and both help save my bacon when jumping the pony Arab!!:D