PDA

View Full Version : Dumb question about open front boots

naters
Oct. 6, 2009, 01:27 PM
Ok, so in 20 years of riding, I have never had to use open fronts.

Now I do.

Now I am not exactly sure how they are supposed to fit... should they fit the same as say, splint boots, or ankle boots?

Different?

scribbles
Oct. 6, 2009, 01:35 PM
a key point that we tell the kids on ponies using them for the first time is that they elastic on the front should not leave marks on your horses legs. the bottom should hit the leg at around the ergot, the top just below the knee. I buy the same size open fronts as I do fuzzy boots.

naters
Oct. 6, 2009, 01:37 PM
a key point that we tell the kids on ponies using them for the first time is that they elastic on the front should not leave marks on your horses legs. the bottom should hit the leg at around the ergot, the top just below the knee. I buy the same size open fronts as I do fuzzy boots.

Thanks. That's what I had assumed, but you never know....

Also, they should compile a book about "dumb horse questions".

All the stuff you learned in pony club but now cannot remember.:lol:

scribbles
Oct. 6, 2009, 02:03 PM
Ponyclub... so frustrating at the time... but now i can wrap my horse better than most vets! So, worth it I guess :D

Have fun with your new boots!

naters
Oct. 6, 2009, 03:37 PM
Ponyclub... so frustrating at the time... but now i can wrap my horse better than most vets! So, worth it I guess :D

Have fun with your new boots!

I did PC, but then I seem to have forgotten it all in the years I havent done it!

Hilary
Oct. 6, 2009, 04:05 PM
OK, I have a related question about open fronts. I have a very nice leather pair from Dover, but they don't mold around the leg. They were packed flat and when I put them on, the part that covers the fetlock doesn't bend enough around the fetlock towards the front - hard to describe, but they stick 'out' to the sides- and I am afraid they will make my horse trip. My horse is not narrow in front, but I don't want anything impeding her movement. Like tripping on your spurs.

I've oiled them, they are not stiff, but unlike the closed front boots where there is more leather up top that also wraps around the leg to keep the fetlock part (which has no straps), these open up at the bottom.

Any ideas?

Thank you

ExJumper
Oct. 6, 2009, 04:13 PM
Roll them up and rubber band them, or put a heavy book on them, or stick them under your mattress -- like you would to break in a baseball mitt. It doesn't matter if you roll them too tight, because they will relax into shape as your horse wears them.

MHM
Oct. 6, 2009, 04:14 PM
I've oiled them, they are not stiff, but unlike the closed front boots where there is more leather up top that also wraps around the leg to keep the fetlock part (which has no straps), these open up at the bottom.

Any ideas?

Thank you

Oil them again, fold them lengthwise, as if they were wrapped around the leg, and put them under something heavy for a week.

Hilary
Oct. 6, 2009, 07:17 PM
Wow, thanks. (and well, Duh..) If it was a bear it would have bit me. That never occurred to me.