PDA

View Full Version : Anyone tried the Equisizer?

vali
Oct. 6, 2009, 02:05 PM
Our barn recently put in an Equisizer to use for both rehab and conditioning. When I did a Wofford clinic this summer he emphasized that you can never do enough long slow work for conditioning. In the summer we have a lot of trail access, but in the mud season it gets harder to get out hacking as much, particularly when I'm coming out to ride after work. Usually I can only get out five days a week, so I was thinking of trying the Equicizer the two days a week I'm not out. My only concern with the Equisizer would be that all of the work is in a circle, but they do switch directions. Any experiences with it would be welcome.

Barnfairy
Oct. 6, 2009, 02:13 PM
Just to clarify, the equicizer (http://www.equicizer.com/images/equicizer.com/default.aspx?contentName=Home%20Page&news=1/) is for conditioning people, while an equineciser (http://equinecisers.com/product-line/horse-exerciser-specifications.html) is for horses. ;)

Time saving is a definite benefit. Beware that some horses develop silly habits in them, like intentionally stopping and letting the divider hit them in the bum, which might limit the overall effectiveness.

Nothing replaces hacking for the benefits of varied terrain and mental stimulation.

middy
Oct. 6, 2009, 02:20 PM
The trainer that I work for has one and swears by it! I put my mare at his place when she needed layup time as I was there more than I was at home and I used it them and really liked it.

The guy I work for trains STB's and they alternate between jogging and the Equisizer with good results. It is wonderful for us as we only have to jog 15 horses a day instead of 30

seascout3
Oct. 6, 2009, 02:28 PM
We call ours the Eurocizer. Love it! My horse is rehabbing a tendon injury and he goes on it every day. There is alot to look at where the Eurocizer is placed and different horses, so the pony doesn't get too bored. Good footing that is groomed every day too. Since you can customize the time and speed, it's really a great tool in my rehab plan. I get the pony out to handwalk or walk under saddle to cut the repetition, but I rely heavily on the Eurocizer especially during the work week.

When he was (and goes back to) walk/trot under saddle, he still usually goes on the Eurocizer, as you just can't get enough steady walking - or trotting - for a tendon rehab and it gets him out of his corral again during the day.

Timex
Oct. 6, 2009, 03:02 PM
We use 'the wheel' everyday, either to cool out after galloping, or to walk those on layup, or jog the ones we're bringing back. Great tool!