PDA

View Full Version : "My" Filly is a Race Horse No More, She's Coming Home!

Ishi
Oct. 6, 2009, 12:30 PM
This is a filly I've galloped the last 6 months, I just instantly had a connection with her like I've never had with any other horse I've galloped. She is the reason I (almost) enjoyed getting up at 5am to get to the training center, she means the world to me. As things would have it, turf season is winding down and she ran a disappointing 7th on Monday. Last night her breeder/owner informed me that she was ready to retire and I can have her. I actually cried a little, I was so overjoyed.

I've taken a few from the track I've galloped before to retrain and resell, but never one to keep, and she's a keeper, all 15'1 or whatever she is. She is teeny tiny, but she has so much heart, courage, and is the bravest horse, I can't wait to see how she likes eventing. I'm sad I won't ever come out of the gate again on her (the rocket that she is!) but I am so excited to see what the next chapter in her life will be like!

This is her and I galloping in the morning (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v44/FlyACK/Galloping/IMG_5290.jpg) and her racing (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v44/FlyACK/Galloping/GallopingHome.jpg) at Colonial (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v44/FlyACK/Galloping/FinishLine.jpg) last May.

I'm off to go pick her up. Mornings won't be the same without her, but the afternoons will be so much fun!

sandstar
Oct. 6, 2009, 12:40 PM
Wow....that is awesome.
Wishing you both all the best...she is lovley...congrats ( to both of you!!!!)

Equilibrium
Oct. 6, 2009, 12:45 PM
I'm so happy for the 2 of you - many congratulations! What a pretty girl!

Terri

Quinn
Oct. 6, 2009, 12:53 PM
Outstanding! Absolutely lovely. Lucky you and super lucky filly.

http://community.webshots.com/user/ballyduff

sporthorsefilly
Oct. 6, 2009, 01:00 PM
She is a very lucky filly, and very cute too. Looks like she has lots of heart. Congrats

Barnfairy
Oct. 6, 2009, 01:22 PM
That is so nice to read; thanks for sharing. Sometimes the right horse finds their way to you.

She is wicked cute. I love the little ones.

johnnysauntie
Oct. 6, 2009, 01:22 PM
Yaay! She's so cute, can't wait to follow her progress! Now, if you can just snare one of those steeplechasers .... ;)

MrWinston
Oct. 6, 2009, 01:24 PM
Sounds like a wonderful match. Best of luck to you and your new filly. :-)

clivers
Oct. 6, 2009, 02:13 PM
I bet she'll be a hell of an eventer!!! I love the intensity in her eyes!!!
Congrats and thanks for sharing such a happy story :)

Marney
Oct. 6, 2009, 02:37 PM
Congrats she looks awesome! With the look in her eye she should make a fantastic eventer. Your great riding of course helps with that too :)

jenm
Oct. 6, 2009, 03:00 PM
I'm sad I won't ever come out of the gate again on her (the rocket that she is!)

But think of how much fun you will have coming out of the start box on her!! :)

Congratulations, she is a cutie and one day you will be rocking a cross country course with her!

That was really cool of her breeder/owner to let her retire with you.

Sing Mia Song
Oct. 6, 2009, 05:17 PM
Nifty! What's her name and breeding?

Linny
Oct. 6, 2009, 05:21 PM
Have fun with her. She sure is a pretty little lady. Don't let the pony breeders overon SHB see her!! They will steal her.

Ishi
Oct. 6, 2009, 05:58 PM
Sing Mia, her JC name is Burning Moccasin, here's her pedigree:
http://www.pedigreequery.com/burning+moccasin

She really doesn't have a barn name, we have 20 stalls and the set we ride goes by stall number so she was 2. I'm thinking of a name, but nothing really fits her that I've come up with. She is intense, yet quiet, very smart, and all heart. She has a fabulous trot too, I never feel like I'm on a small horse sitting on her, she has a massive stride. The last work we did we worked with 2 other horses a half. She blew them away, I never touched her with the stick, just grabbed a good hold, sent her, and enjoyed the ride :D I'll miss that too, but I can't wait to event her, I bet it'll be a whole 'nother form of excitement for me!

The farrier comes tomorrow, and then she'll still have a few more days off. She ran down on one hind leg pretty good yesterday and is all wrapped up. She seems pretty content in the barn, has her Uncle Jimmie ball (that was a high light of her day I'd say!) and is eating and drinking well. She ships out to all her races and when I went to load her at the training center she paused at the base of the ramp as if to say, "Are you nuts, I'm not running again am I?!" then loaded right up.

I can't wait to see what the next year brings for her and I. She is so special. I owe her owner/breeder a huge debt of gratitude. I gallop and work with so many horses a day, it's just not often a horse like her comes along. He said he was just thrilled he didn't have to worry about her going down the road and losing track of her. He really is a great guy, and I am so thankful.

We sticked her today but she was so bouncy it was hard to get a good read. I'll try again later this week but she's little. Not as small as the pony I'm eventing for a client, but most likely under 15'2. What can I say, I adore small mares!

Artful
Oct. 6, 2009, 07:50 PM
well, since her name is Burning Moccasin---how about calling her "Hotfoot"?
(especially since she seems to like 'hotfooting" it out of the gate?)

you could call her "Hottie" for short!:lol:

VirginiaBred
Oct. 6, 2009, 08:07 PM
Congratulations! What a happy story! :)

RedMare01
Oct. 6, 2009, 08:14 PM
Congrats! She is lovely. :yes:

Caitlin

Lincoln
Oct. 6, 2009, 08:54 PM
How about Two Hot?

(couldn't resist)

Ishi
Oct. 6, 2009, 10:06 PM
My DH came up with a website of Native American names, and we found Mochni which is Hopi for talking bird. Well, she is a talker, to me. When she sees me, she always flips her head and makes noises at me. Then again, I fed her peppermints constantly ;) I'd even hand them to her when on another horse in the shed row. So the guys joked about how she talked to me. Her breeder called her Moch, which I never could get to stick, I like longer names, and nicknames and Mochni seems like a good combo of both. So we'll see how it goes tomorrow, if it fits her.

I think I already have her USEA name picked out. My DH never changes their JC names, but he always gets horses with awesome JC names. I think her USEA name is going to be Notorious, just because I've always wanted a fabulous, fast, little TB mare named that since I was a kid!

We just did a last barn check, all are happy and she was sleepy, had eaten her dinner all up, so I gave her more hay, then fed her one last carrot. She's stalled next to the Chincoteague Pony, and next to her, Mochni looks huge! Guess it's all about the power of perception :lol:

danceronice
Oct. 6, 2009, 10:48 PM
Lol, that reminds me of "Moshi moshi" in Japanese (another good name for such a delicate little girl!) She looks like such a little lady. I like "Notorious" and it tracks nicely with all her "N" names on top. (And I'd take "Burning Moccasin" over what my poor horse was stuck with, see sig file. His show name was Admiral's Game after his relatives.) Congratulations!

Sing Mia Song
Oct. 7, 2009, 04:15 PM
How great, Ishi, she sounds like a keeper! Can't wait to hear about her exploits in the eventing world.

jenarby
Oct. 7, 2009, 05:00 PM
Ishi, there was a filly at Laurel YEARS ago I had that kind of connection with. Smallish bay girl but SO sweet. I adored her. Followed her career and also the careers of her babies. I think she's about 20 now and somewhere in Florida. I'm so glad you got to have your girl. I would have done anything to have "mine!"

FalseImpression
Oct. 7, 2009, 08:36 PM
Cute little filly!
By the way, any update on "plain Jane" and the other mare you took last year or earlier in the year? How are they doing?

Ishi
Oct. 7, 2009, 09:22 PM
I really have to get new pictures Plain Jane, she's changed so much! It's been a wicked busy summer, and so she got all that time off to just do some ground driving and get fat. She is just so cool, she has this massive over step at the walk, and has perfect manners. She's really not so plain any more! The grey mare Ella who I got with her is ready to find her next home. She is wicked fancy and gorgeous.

I am an absolute mare lover! Even my geldings have either had girly names or act like mares :lol:

Moc got her new shoes today and a long walk and hand grazing. I might just hop on her tomorrow for a quick hack, I miss riding her. I found a Baker sheet that actually fits her, she's about a 74 the wee little thing that she is!

3horsemom
Oct. 7, 2009, 11:04 PM
i love this thread.
you are both lucky women.