PDA

View Full Version : Ergots...

*horsiejumper*
Oct. 6, 2009, 12:05 AM
My horse somehow manages to make his ergots bleed (on hind legs) and get scraped up while being jumped. When we are done I always wash and put medicine on, then wrap in vet wrap. But, what I am wondering is if there is anything he can wear while being ridden to prevent this? As a note we do the Jr. Jumpers and it seams to be the quick turns that cut them up...

klmck63
Oct. 6, 2009, 12:28 AM
Have you thought about skid boots that are meant for reining? They are designed to exactly help with that problem. It might be difficult to find a nice english looking/leather pair though.

I like these ones (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=400076368225#ht_2117wt_907) in terms of how much they look like english jumping boots, but any pair of skid boots would do! The reiners would always be scraping off their ergots if they didn't wear them.

SkipChange
Oct. 6, 2009, 12:35 AM
Skid boots do seem to fit the bill, just curious though, has anyone seen jumpers going in skid boots?

Mach Two
Oct. 6, 2009, 12:45 AM
There are several of the newer skid boots that look sleeker...would work well.
OR you can buy a package of the Steeplechase or flat race "run down" patches, that stick on over the ergots to provide protection from the "scuffs" they will get racing...same as the injuries you describe.
The patches stick on with the adhesive used to keep cattle auction tags on.. .the will probably last through a show weekend. Some are like a clear flexible vinyl/plastic, some are solid colored. Race folks add a saratoga bandage over them, but just some new vetwrap when the old vetwrap, just around the fetlock will do it.

Here is another suggestion while you look for other solutions: Do a figure 8 with vetwrap on the fetlock joint, paying special attention to covering the ergots, and going up on the leg a few inches above the joint, and then put on your regular jumping boots. Should give you enough protection for a few classes and warmup.
From an old event groom/steeplechase assistant...good luck!

*horsiejumper*
Oct. 6, 2009, 12:52 AM
Thanks! I will give this a try...but do you think jumping in skid boots would prevent him from jumping well?

TBlitz
Oct. 6, 2009, 09:11 AM
I don't want to scare you, but that was one of the first red flags in my former jumper for DSLD in his hind legs. You might want to have a good vet (one familiar with DSLD) rule that out just to be on the safe side.

goeslikestink
Oct. 6, 2009, 11:22 AM
My horse somehow manages to make his ergots bleed (on hind legs) and get scraped up while being jumped. When we are done I always wash and put medicine on, then wrap in vet wrap. But, what I am wondering is if there is anything he can wear while being ridden to prevent this? As a note we do the Jr. Jumpers and it seams to be the quick turns that cut them up...

are they big - and catchable ask the farrier to trim them then also wear jumping boots along with bell boots on the front
aalso if jumping on grass tos top him skidding think about having the farrier put in stud holes so you can get varies stud to use for extra grip on damp or shinny surfaces etc
dont have one stud hole have two one in each end of the shoe total of eight - 2 for each foot this will help give you stablity and tracksion when needed but do take them out every time
you finish your event and plug with either a stopper or cotton wool till the next time out

look here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shoe_studs

dani0303
Oct. 6, 2009, 11:27 AM
You've probably already tried this but wouldn't polo wraps help?

Indy
Oct. 6, 2009, 01:22 PM
The trainer I rode with as junior had a jumper with a dirty stop. He would often skin open the area around his ergots from sliding to a stop. Polos helped some, but if he skidded toa stop just right, they would slide up and expose the area. Trainer finally bought the horse a set of skid boots and that seemed to do the trick. They didn't seem to interfere with his jumping and did a good job of protecting things.

Go Fish
Oct. 6, 2009, 01:41 PM
Thanks! I will give this a try...but do you think jumping in skid boots would prevent him from jumping well?

No. If a reining horse can slide 40 feet with them on, I don't think the boots will interfere with jumping. Ride in them at home so your horse gets used to them.

I saw a jumper with some sort of boot on that looked like it protected the area you are concerned about. Wish I'd looked more closely. Perhaps there is something already available in tack stores. I'd look around. Oh, they were made of neoprene.

*horsiejumper*
Oct. 7, 2009, 12:18 AM
Thanks... and yes the vet has already looked at him many times and determined this is not medical. Also his ergots are very flat so the farrier cannot trim them. He does have stud holes and even has 3 in the back (for the bigger jumps) and wears devoucoux boots (back and front) with bell boots.

apachepony
Oct. 7, 2009, 02:48 AM
I was browsing Walsh's stuff for something completely unrelated, and saw that they make a pair of run down boots and thought of this topic. I thought i'd post the link here for you.

http://theharnessshoponline.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=7_23&products_id=68
They look a lot less bulky than most skid boots.

Mach Two
Oct. 7, 2009, 03:02 AM
That looks like a great boot for the job.
My event horse was a steeplechaser who also got "rundown" scrapes, and I always jumped him in a boot that covered the fetlock and ergots. I kept his ergots as short as possible. He had longish pastern, and a fair amount of slope, which added to the "rundown problem"
Sounds like you're on the right track!