PDA

View Full Version : ISH Stallions and bloodlines

eventer80
Oct. 5, 2009, 05:43 PM
I am starting to look for my next eventing prospect and I think I may be leaning toward Irish Sport horses. What are the common eventing sires? Are some lines known to be better jumpers? Just some common knowledge info would be great!!!

Also, what is the stereotype of the ISH? Are they know to be tolerant, hot, etc......?

Thanks!!

scribbles
Oct. 5, 2009, 05:49 PM
generally tolerant... USA Cruising is a jumper stallion standing at Acorn Hill, i think they have a couple others, i have ridden one of his offspring before who was an eventing prospect, and really liked him

TBlitz
Oct. 5, 2009, 07:09 PM
I'll share some of my knowledge, but I'm sure some Irish breeders will chip in soon and share more expansive knowledge.

The Sea Crest line seems to be very successful in jumping. I'd like my next Irish horse to come from this line. Cruising (and progeny) and Brandenburg's Windstar are decendents of Sea Crest.

IME, Clover Hill is very popular in eventing breeding. There are not quite as many offspring of his in the US, but we do have one of the three RID stallions he sired here. I'm betting he probably produced the greatest amount of international showjumpers of any RID stallion, so the jump is definitely there. His offspring probably aren't as heavy as some of the other RID sires because of his pedigree's large TB influence.

King of Diamonds has been extremely influential on IDs and IDSHs, especially through his purebred sons. He produced jumpers and is probably the most famous Irish horse. You won't find a shortage of purebred and partbred IDs with KOD in their pedigree.

Cavalier Royale is an ISH approved Holsteiner who's had an enormous impact on eventing. I'm sure you've seen his offspring all over the international eventing scene.

I also like Jumbo, the British Sport Horse advanced eventing stallion by Skippy RID. I don't know about availability of Jumbo progeny in the US, but there are some with Skippy several generations back.

horsetales
Oct. 5, 2009, 07:27 PM
TBlitz had very good points.

King of Diamonds offspring are extremely athletic and have gone to upper levels of eventing, dressage and jumpers - good movers and jumpers. McKinlaigh has KOD in his pedigree

Sea Crest lines are also very athletic. IMHO those lines have hotter temperments and can more often be pro rides.

Milestone is another prominant sire - Jumbo has him. This is another athletic line that could give you jump and a good mover.

Cavalier Royale is a Holsteiner in Ireland - however he is a Cor de la Breyer son and there are other stallions by him available in the US (e.g., I have an IDSH by Hilltop Cordini who is another Cor son)

Here is a nice database you can search for Irish horses and see if you see common ancestry with your favorites http://www.idshs.com.au/perl/search.pl

eventer80
Oct. 5, 2009, 08:15 PM
Thanks guys!!! That has helped alot!!! Now, where are the resources to find Irish horses in the US?

THANKS!

scribbles
Oct. 5, 2009, 08:41 PM
did you check out Acorn Hill? A couple of my friends have had some great luck with their young ones...

Foxhall
Oct. 5, 2009, 08:55 PM
I imported my ISH recently, he is by Olympic Lux. Olympic Lux is by Lux Z and has produced many successful event horses more commonly in England/Europe, but I have seen several in the US.

retreadeventer
Oct. 5, 2009, 09:23 PM
Oh Irish is the way to go! What a mind they have to learn to jump, and to take care of themselves. It really is different from the other breeds!
However, it is important to shop the bloodlines with not only the athletic ability in mind, but the temperament. Some of the lines mentioned are just not easy rides, and I've had a few of the not-so easy rides.
Recently broke and trained a Touch of the Blues RID mare and very VERY excited about the way that mare took to training and jumping - we went cross country schooling, her second time out with others - and were giving leads over the black pipe jump to horses twice her age. But she is also Irish Draught, which is the purebred, as opposed to the Irish sporthorse, which is more of a type, I guess. If you are looking for a sporthorse, you can basically get anything with at least one Irish parent - that is why many people do select the Irish Draught as they are the purebred and must have purebred parents, and pass inspections, etc. There are other differences I am sure the experts can outline.
But I really like the RID over the sport horse having ridden a few of both.

eventer80
Oct. 5, 2009, 09:33 PM
So I was under the assumption that the RID would be too heavy for upper level competition and was looking for a TB/RID cross. Am I wrong?

carolprudm
Oct. 5, 2009, 09:40 PM
Link to the national organization

http://www.irishdraught.com/

There are links to breeders and classifieds

This is my newly approved RIDSH
http://picasaweb.google.com/carolp3231/IDHSNAShow#
Penmerryl's Sophie, however she is not for sale

carolprudm
Oct. 5, 2009, 09:41 PM
Oh Irish is the way to go! What a mind they have to learn to jump, and to take care of themselves. It really is different from the other breeds!
However, it is important to shop the bloodlines with not only the athletic ability in mind, but the temperament. Some of the lines mentioned are just not easy rides, and I've had a few of the not-so easy rides.
Recently broke and trained a Touch of the Blues RID mare and very VERY excited about the way that mare took to training and jumping - we went cross country schooling, her second time out with others - and were giving leads over the black pipe jump to horses twice her age. But she is also Irish Draught, which is the purebred, as opposed to the Irish sporthorse, which is more of a type, I guess. If you are looking for a sporthorse, you can basically get anything with at least one Irish parent - that is why many people do select the Irish Draught as they are the purebred and must have purebred parents, and pass inspections, etc. There are other differences I am sure the experts can outline.
But I really like the RID over the sport horse having ridden a few of both.
Sophie is by TOTB

retreadeventer
Oct. 5, 2009, 10:26 PM
So I was under the assumption that the RID would be too heavy for upper level competition and was looking for a TB/RID cross. Am I wrong?

Yep. Touch of the Blues competed to Intermediate level in England. Take a look at www.manufortifarms.com
And could have gone further from the scope shown in those pictures! Oh I wouldn't pass up an RID. In the meantime why not have FUN and ride a great horse that will take you right now to something fun. While you ride and train it for that goal.

retreadeventer
Oct. 5, 2009, 10:27 PM
Sophie is by TOTB

Oh she is beautiful. How nice! We are so sorry we missed the show but we just couldn't get away this year and with two of us injured it was out of the question.

eventer80
Oct. 5, 2009, 10:30 PM
Hmmmmmmmmmm.............interesting!!!

ThirdCharm
Oct. 5, 2009, 10:46 PM
Keep an eye out for offspring of good Irish mares, too....! my Grade 3 ISH mare was by Kildalton Gold, and produced lovely foals by TB, Trakehner, and Paint stallions. The oldest is competing Training, almost ready for Prelim....

Jennifer

AKB
Oct. 5, 2009, 10:55 PM
Irish Draughts and Irish Draught Sport Horses are the way to go. You will generally get more speed from an Irish Draught Sport Horse than from a pure ID.

Go and visit some of the farms. There is a list of breeders on the Irish Draught web page. You will quickly know which lines appeal to you and whether you want a full ID or and IDSH. Temperaments are very different according to the line. My younger daughter owns a Snowford Bellman IDSH. He is a wonderful horse, but very playful. If you take your jacket off and hang it on the fence, it will probably disappear to the far reaches of the pasture, and be covered with muddy hoof prints. My ID is much more serious and would never play keep away games. ID and IDSHs are generally fabulous horses.

What level of eventing do you plan to do? In what part of the country are you located?

ontarget
Oct. 5, 2009, 11:15 PM
Just thought I would chip in even though my two are jumpers and not eventers (although both really would have made excellent eventers if they had gone in that direction... both could easily do high level dressage movements and will go gallop and jump anything in the field that I ask them to; I am teaching one to side pass and he is beginning baby piaffe, and the other could easily advance as well)...

I have two Irish Sport Horses, one by Cavalier Royale and the other by Furisto's Diamond. Both have unbelievable temperaments. Everyone always comments on how sweet and laidback they are, especially for how much jump they have. They are both quick and careful with a ton of scope. The Furisto's Diamond is currently getting back into the swing of things at 1.25m-1.30m, but should be doing 1.40m again by next year, and most likely on to GP toward the end of next summer. The Cavalier Royale was just beginning to go in GPs earlier this year, even though his PSSM issues had not yet been discovered, and will most likely go back to 1.30m, 1.40m by next spring so long as his feet continue to improve from the damage the high levels of NSC did to them.

I have to be very careful with their NSC levels as too much does make them distracted (although for the Cavalier Royale, this is mostly due to his PSSM, although it is said that some ISH do have a higher likelihood of having PSSM/EPSM), but that would probably be my only complaint. I absolutely adore them both and am so lucky to be able to ride such sweet, talented, well-behaved animals.

I had never really considered the ISHs before I had the opportunity to ride these two, but I would absolutely love to work with more of them in the future. After these guys move on to their new homes, I think I would take a talented ISH over another WB breed.

eventer80
Oct. 6, 2009, 07:58 AM
Thanks!! You guys have given me lots to think about!!!

There is a ISH stallion around my area, that I just adore. His name is Flagmount's Freedom. Also, Prescott Farm and a stallion named Braveheart. I need to just go start looking. Anybody have any other farms to recommend? I looked at Acorn Hill and have an email in with them.

I have only ridden Prelim but aspire to do some upper level eventing. My past horses have all been hot OTTB, so I don't mind forward thinking. I just don't want crazy!! :)

AKB
Oct. 6, 2009, 08:41 AM
I think the annual Irish Draught inspections are out your way this week. Check the irish draught association website and see if they are convenient to you. The inspections are a great place to see various offspring of your local stallions and to meet the breeders. You can contact the inspection coordinators to find out which breeders are coming to the inspections to make sure it is worth your time.

horsetales
Oct. 6, 2009, 01:53 PM
There is a ISH stallion around my area, that I just adore. His name is Flagmount's Freedom. Also, Prescott Farm and a stallion named Braveheart. I need to just go start looking. Anybody have any other farms to recommend? I looked at Acorn Hill and have an email in with them.

I have only ridden Prelim but aspire to do some upper level eventing. My past horses have all been hot OTTB, so I don't mind forward thinking. I just don't want crazy!! :)

Braveheart is an eventer - I have a pure bred 09 filly by him - fearless and a complete puppy dog. I had a an IDSH mare by his sire - eventers dream horse - alot of engine, brains, and athleticism (shes the grey on my website before she sold to someone who could really use her). Her sire O'Learys Irish Diamond went PSG in dressage and is now doing great in open Jumpers - KOD line. I will bet the the IDSH stallion you mentioned FF is also KOD line.

The lighter more modern (R)ID may be able to go to the higher levels, but a 3/4 or less ID is probably best for upper levels. Its also easier to keep the IDSH fit necessary for upper levels.

Definitely visit the Irish Draught website and look for breeders/owners in your area. Bravehearts owner is very nice. I think we are a little far for you, but you're always welcome to contact me and there are multiple farms within 2 hours of me.

GreyDun
Oct. 6, 2009, 02:15 PM
Just got back from photographing the Irish Draught National Breed Show...check out the pics if you want to see a neat variety of the breed: http://theredhorse.smugmug.com/IDHSNA09 A lot of the purebreds were really nice movers and excellent jumpers...fun horses!

crosscreeksh
Oct. 6, 2009, 10:41 PM
I've been a TB "person" - rider and then breeder, for most of my life, but since buying a Touch of the Blues x TB mare (Seattle Slew granddaughter) as a weanling, destined to be bred to our painted TB mares I'm totally in love with the ISH's!!
As a late 3 year old stud colt, he turns out in a pasture with a TB gelding or two and stables in a barn with half door screens where the horses can hang their heads out. He has never offered to bite or scream at any of the other horses on the farm and can stand across the driveway from mares and foals and never make a peep. He is a total gentleman to work with, groom and handle. He also has a terrific work ethic since we started breaking him. And did I mention that he is a fantastic mover and jumper.
Last year we bred Jagged Illusion (TB) to a big The Irish Rover ISH mare and this spring got a lovely, painted 3/4 TB - 1/4 RID filly who is the love of my life. I think the ISH's are the BEST!!!

IrishDeclan
Oct. 6, 2009, 10:50 PM
I think the Clover Hill line is spectacular. I may be biased though, seeing as how that's my pony's breeding. :winkgrin: This is my second Irish horse, and I absolutely love them!! The only thing I'm having to teach mine is how to jump a little bit more efficiently. He is Clover Hill on his dam's side, and I believe that he has produced lots of showjumpers. Mine is also French bred on his sire's side from straight showjumping blood (Galoubet line). So, mine is a VERY careful deliberate jumper. He's super bold and doesn't have a stop in him, but we're still learning to make the time cross country. :D

AppJumpr08
Oct. 7, 2009, 08:38 PM
I have a 3 year old Flagmount King (King of Diamonds) grandson, and he is the calmest, sweetest baby I have ever owned. I would breed to his sire (It's The Luck Of The Irish) again in a heartbeat :yes:

retreadeventer
Oct. 7, 2009, 09:19 PM
I've been a TB "person" - rider and then breeder, for most of my life, but since buying a Touch of the Blues x TB mare (Seattle Slew granddaughter) as a weanling, destined to be bred to our painted TB mares I'm totally in love with the ISH's!!
As a late 3 year old stud colt, he turns out in a pasture with a TB gelding or two and stables in a barn with half door screens where the horses can hang their heads out. He has never offered to bite or scream at any of the other horses on the farm and can stand across the driveway from mares and foals and never make a peep. He is a total gentleman to work with, groom and handle. He also has a terrific work ethic since we started breaking him. And did I mention that he is a fantastic mover and jumper.
Last year we bred Jagged Illusion (TB) to a big The Irish Rover ISH mare and this spring got a lovely, painted 3/4 TB - 1/4 RID filly who is the love of my life. I think the ISH's are the BEST!!!

I bet your TOTB colt picked up jumping in about 30 days flat.. the mare did... it was like, I get this, can we do something different now? Just amazing how they process the task. Just wondering - but I bet he did!

retreadeventer
Oct. 7, 2009, 09:21 PM
Just got back from photographing the Irish Draught National Breed Show...check out the pics if you want to see a neat variety of the breed: http://theredhorse.smugmug.com/IDHSNA09 A lot of the purebreds were really nice movers and excellent jumpers...fun horses!

Sorry I missed you... how was the BEACH? ;)

GreyDun
Oct. 8, 2009, 09:41 AM
Sorry I missed you... how was the BEACH? ;)

Were you there?? I didn't see you! The Beach was awesome, of course :D

SBClancy
Oct. 8, 2009, 09:51 AM
http://www.shutterfly.com/progal/gallery.jsp?gid=768a5498ce7e7b0eb797

Above is the link for photos from the Irish Draught inspection in Upton, MA on Tuesday, October 6. There are purebreds and partbreds. As you will see there are many different shapes and styles with both the purebreds and partbreds. Mine is a partbred and extremely talented. He could compete successfully in whatever discipline you show him in. Although anything with jumping would be nearest to his heart.

I would recommend either pure or part any day.

west5
Oct. 8, 2009, 10:19 AM
I am going to echo a previous poster's recommendation to please research the lines very carefully for temperament.

The King of Diamonds horse in our barn is an athlete and a saint. Truly. He can do the big jumper classes and be competitive as well as truck a novice over tiny fences. He is a dream to hack out as well.

The horses I've come in contact from some of the other lines mentioned have in my experience been athletic but not as rideable.

SandyUHC
Oct. 8, 2009, 12:31 PM
Yep. Touch of the Blues competed to Intermediate level in England.

According to www.britisheventing.com, TOTB completed two Pre-Novice (equivalent to our Training) events in 1993. There is no record of affiliated competition above that level. That doesn't take away from the accomplishments of his offspring but that quote does appear to have become an equine urban legend.

Orkney96
Nov. 22, 2009, 07:49 PM
Hi there!
I would agree that for eventing the Irish Sport horse may be a little lighter and quicker. I have found that having a nice warmblood mare bred to an Irish Stallion makes for a very athletic competitor with a nice temperment.

Kairoshorses
Nov. 23, 2009, 10:03 AM
Hi there!
I would agree that for eventing the Irish Sport horse may be a little lighter and quicker. I have found that having a nice warmblood mare bred to an Irish Stallion makes for a very athletic competitor with a nice temperment.

Hmmm. I have a LOVELY anglo-trak mare I've been breeding to Oldenburg and Trakhener stallions, fearing that ISH would be too much bone (she's not as TB-like as she could be).....

Here she is with a recent foal:

http://www.faculty.english.ttu.edu/Rickly/rhett.htm

Thus summer I got my first ISH, out of Rakish Paddy, and he's AMAZING. I'm now wondering if I shouldn't breed my mare to a RID or ISH.....

eventer80
Nov. 23, 2009, 10:34 AM
Just wanted to update you guys since this thread has been resurrected!!! I ended up with a 3/4 TB 1/4 RID. He is from Janet Mardin's barn by her stallion, Flagmount's Freedom. He is coming three and has been so easy to work with. Besides the normal young horse thing. He is super brave and figures things out immediately. I have been impressed so far.........so we will see!!!

Waterwitch
Nov. 23, 2009, 12:25 PM
Just wanted to update you guys since this thread has been resurrected!!! I ended up with a 3/4 TB 1/4 RID. He is from Janet Mardin's barn by her stallion, Flagmount's Freedom. He is coming three and has been so easy to work with. Besides the normal young horse thing. He is super brave and figures things out immediately. I have been impressed so far.........so we will see!!!

I have heard really good things about this stallion. Good luck with your boy and keep us posted :)

horsetales
Nov. 23, 2009, 12:27 PM

Congrats!!! I'm sure you'll have a blast with him :) BUT, Why are there no pic links :confused: We must have pics

SandyUHC
Nov. 23, 2009, 01:02 PM
Yes, pics please! I have a 3 1/2 year old with the same TB/ID percentage as yours and I am sooooo thankful for his temperament. Welcome to the fun Irish horse club!
: - )

eventer80
Nov. 23, 2009, 10:04 PM
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=10066823&id=777055270

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=9776444&id=777055270

A couple of pics. The one of me on him is just sitting. We won't really ride for another 3 months or so............I just couldn't resist!!

What do you guys think?

Waterwitch
Nov. 24, 2009, 09:13 AM
Lovely Irish boy :yes: You are going to have such fun!

AKB
Nov. 25, 2009, 12:21 AM
Very cute little boy. Keep us all updated with pictures as he grows.

IrishRocks
Apr. 29, 2011, 11:22 AM
Today is Touch of the Blues' 24th birthday. He is still magnificent, in great shape and actively breeding. In fact, I heard that he has an "assignation" scheduled for today - a nice birthday present for him. :)

TotB is North America's most prolific Irish Draught stallion. He has nearly 500 registered ID offspring and probably many, many more IDSH progeny.

In honor of this great stallion on his birthday, I would like to set the record straight about his eventing career.

The link below to the British Eventing site would suggest that he only competed in two events in his entire career, and that those were at the PN level (Pre-novice, now called BE-100, equivalent to Training in the US).

http://www.britisheventing.com/asp-net/Events/Results.aspx?HorseId=21976&section=000100010018

It is easy to prove that this assertion is false. The photo linked below shows TotB navigating a jump at an event in England.

http://i54.tinypic.com/k1dowg.jpg

The yellow and green badges at the right side of the jump indicate that this jump is shared by the Novice and Intermediate courses (which are equivalent to Prelim and Intermediate in the US), and both of which are higher than PN.

Clearly the the BE database is incomplete with respect to TotB's competition record. And the assertion from his breeders and owners that he had a long and successful eventing career, competing successfully through the Intermediate level in England, is most likely accurate.

SandyUHC, I mean no disrespect, I'm just a big fan of Touch of the Blues. He is one of America's great performance stallions, and his birthday is a nice opportunity to celebrate his accomplishments.

Happy Birthday, Flynn!

Steve Kennedy

According to www.britisheventing.com, TOTB completed two Pre-Novice (equivalent to our Training) events in 1993. There is no record of affiliated competition above that level. That doesn't take away from the accomplishments of his offspring but that quote does appear to have become an equine urban legend.

purplnurpl
Apr. 29, 2011, 03:10 PM
I am going to echo a previous poster's recommendation to please research the lines very carefully for temperament.

The King of Diamonds horse in our barn is an athlete and a saint. Truly. He can do the big jumper classes and be competitive as well as truck a novice over tiny fences. He is a dream to hack out as well.

The horses I've come in contact from some of the other lines mentioned have in my experience been athletic but not as rideable.

I actually run the other direction when I see Irish horses.
Just be sure to have a VERY elite mare to breed out of. :lol:

I have heard that some don't like the temperament of the Cruising horses.

Flagmount seems to have some good success but again, does nothing for me.

If you have your choice, just pick the best possible stallion that you can find. Don't narrow it down to only ISH.

For some reason I always seem to see the ISH horses that are very straight with short pasterns and side bone.
The ones that have heads too big for their bodies and no brains. The ones that clunk around like draft horses.

Most likely when I see a nice ISH I have no idea it's an ISH because it lacks the typey ISH look.

For instance, I had no idea Phillip and Buck rode them.

whoops! I just went back and read that you are not breeding.
I'd say go look at anything that looks nice. If you click when you ride then you have found a great horse. Don't narrow it down to breeds.

gottagrey
Apr. 29, 2011, 03:34 PM
The ISH/RID can be a bit opinionated at times but I adore mine. My is from the KOD lines - another friend of mine has a Welcome Flagmount gelding and from what I've heard Welcome Flagmount was a very popular stallion - sadly he died a tragic death at a young age but there are still some of his youngers out there.. wonder if that Flagmount sire near OP is similarly bred (or offspring).

We took mine to one of the first YEH competitions; not knowing too much about it I thought it would be a neat thing to do... well there we were with all these BNR. - a bit intimidating. We ended up with a 4th place and what I treasure the most were some of the comments made by the judges "that grey horse, I like him". I imported mine from a friend in Ireland - so that's who I'd recommend you go to.. he's got some lovely bred horses, not terribly expensive as most are young.. and an excellent facility to test them out

purplnurpl
May. 2, 2011, 09:58 AM

oh darn! I found one this weekend for you too!!
I was at Jody and Kim Taylors place buying a western horsie.
They have a 5/6 (?) year old grey mare from Flag that is for sale.
Becky Roper did some riding on her.

look at all the Flag babies. lol!
http://useventing.com/competitions.php?section=search&id=82

(oh geez...I just looked at the dates from the OPs first posts. NEVERMIND! LMAO.)

eventer80
May. 2, 2011, 12:05 PM
Purp- haha!! Thanks for all of the advice, anyway!! That horse at Jody's is actually my best friend's horse! She is nice! :) I am hoping to start showing my flag baby in the fall. We will see!

IrishRocks
May. 4, 2011, 12:44 PM
I should probably apologize for resurrecting this old thread. Sorry, y'all. In my defense, that BE database info has been nagging at me for a year, and I feel much better now. I know you're glad to hear that. :)

... I am hoping to start showing my flag baby in the fall. We will see!

Best of luck with your new ride, eventer80.

Flagmount's Freedom is making quite a name for himself as an eventing sire. My daughter's 14 yr old friend won Jr Novice at the AECs last fall on a FF son - Flagmount's Irish Riverstone. Maybe we'll see you there in a year or two.

And if you go to any events in the SE region, look for Born of the Blues - we'd love to say hi. -Steve

Tiki
May. 4, 2011, 01:21 PM
I have 2 OLID mares (double KOD). One out of a Bold Ruler mare and one out of a Spectacular Bid mare. The one out of the Spectacular bid mare has jumped (successfully) to Level 6 and qualified for the Mid West League of YJC and won a Zone Award at that level. The one out of the Bold Ruler mare did some Novice level eventing before I bred her. She has 2 daughters by Consul. The 3yo daughter is easy peasy. Anyone can ride her - beginner to expert. She has incredible gaits and just did a jumping chute at 3'6" and made it look like a walk in the park. In fact, she did it so easily that when I saw the video I just assumed it was a 2'6" chute and she was clearing the jump, without overjumping, by a foot. I found out it was a 3'6" chute and she was clearing it by a foot - without overjumping. She has a huge walk, an gorgeous trot, a superb uphill canter and an incredible gallop, and winners all the way back in her pedigree. OLID won an Open and a Modified Open Jumping Championship with only about 6 months of jump training and he qualified at PSG for the Region 6 finals. Consul has produced many GP horses in both dressage and jumping. I just LOVE these girls!! And they're all grays, just different shades. ISH, the number one breed in Eventing in the World Breeding Federation of Sport Horses.

atheventer85
May. 4, 2011, 01:25 PM
I've had multiple Irish horses. They are my ABSOLUTE FAVORITE. Stereotypically, they can be a bit hot, and have a few screws loose. They can be a handful, but love to jump and live for cross country. I've had both imports and US bred Irish TB's and ISH's. I've had US bred ISH's out of the Clover Hill and Pallas Digion line. Pallas' babies are my favorite. I've had 2, both were a handful on the ground and the flat, but they are eager to please, sweet as can be, love attention, the best personalities of any horses, and have won a ton. Good luck with your search!

scubed
May. 4, 2011, 01:35 PM
here is an american association with sales lists: http://www.irishsporthorseassociation.com/

http://www.warmbloods-for-sale.com/Irish-Sport-Horse.asp lets you pick Irish Sport horse as the type you search for

www.dreamhorse.com has a bloodline search where you can put in names of the stallions you are interested in as well as the breed search where you can have Irish Draught and Irish Sporthorse when listed as either primary or secondary breeds

There are also the farms in Ireland that seem to represent lots of great event horses http://www.carlingfordhorses.com/index.php and http://www.fernhillsporthorses.com/horses-for-sale.php come immediately to mind.

Denise Rath http://www.greyfoxfarm.com/horses_for_sale.html and Phyllis Dawson www.teamwindchase.com often have Irish horses for sale as well

I've just bought an Irish TB (no idea of his breeding though, sadly papers apparently lost forever a couple owners ago)

atheventer85
May. 4, 2011, 04:12 PM
Fernhill Sporthorses (listed above) does not produce their own horses- I've purchased from them in the past. They are simply an agent. They buy from all over Europe and re- sell. They do no breeding. Fernhill is simply a name dubbed on horses that pass through the farm.