PDA

View Full Version : Stolen Amerigo Cervia from the Big E Sat 10/3

secretlink
Oct. 5, 2009, 04:35 PM
My horse went down to show and his saddle went with him but did not come back!:mad: It was taken out of the tack stall on Saturday morning. The police were called and a report filled. They looked around, but nothing came of it. I am not sure what to do... It was newmarket in color, but well oiled to almost match our pessoa bridle. It had Amerigo leathers and Herm Sprenger system 4 stirups. It is only a bit over a year old. I have to try and look it up but I believe it is a 16 1/2 MW (Maybe M). It fell with my horse and has some "road rash" on the pommel and the cantal, but not bad. Anyone with any info of suggestions of what to do in a situation like this... I am not the most organized so need to find the serial # etc.

EmJae
Oct. 5, 2009, 04:48 PM
I would call the store where you bought it to see if they have the serial #. If you bought it from a private seller, I'd give them a call and see if you can trace it backwards.

Keep checking Craigslist or tack sites because people do try to sell them after they've been stolen. Surprisingly, a lot of items have been found this way when the person who had it stolen sees it for sale.

If you have the time, I'd make a flyer/letter that includes a description of the saddle, pictures if you have any, your police report #, and an explanation of the situation and email/mail those to any online sites or nearby consignment shops that you know of. There's still a huge possibility that you won't be able to recover it, but at least this will improve your chances.

I'm sorry about what happened to you. I've had tack taken from me and it's not pleasant.

dani0303
Oct. 5, 2009, 04:56 PM
To add to what EmJae said, also check Ebay regularly. You wouldn't think a theif would be that stupid but you never know. Also, alert all local tack shops that take saddles on consignment.

Good luck!

gloriginger
Oct. 5, 2009, 06:22 PM
I had a saddle stolen once, it is the worst feeling, so violated...anyway, if you have renters insurance or homeowners insurance you should be covered--I was reimbursed for the replacement cost minus my deductible- which was $500.

What a bummer. You might want to let some of the tack stores in the area that sell on consignment know too.

Rhody Ram
Oct. 5, 2009, 08:12 PM
Was the tack stall locked?

luvs2ridewbs
Oct. 6, 2009, 09:37 AM
Do you mean it was stolen overnight or during the day? I always bring my saddle back to the hotel with me or lock it in my trailer overnight so it doesn't disappear. But this advice might not apply to you.

MistyPony
Oct. 6, 2009, 09:58 AM
Another vote for checking ebay! My old barn had some saddles stolen that then ended up on ebay (picture of the serial number and all). I remember the description said "two small holes from where nameplate was removed". I really really really wanted to send a question to the seller that said "Did the name plate that was removed say <insert friend's name here>?" Turns out in our case the ebay user name was someone's full name so they were easy to track down. Hope your thief is just as clueless!

FrenchFrytheEqHorse
Oct. 6, 2009, 02:00 PM
Was the tack stall locked?
I just don't see how this is possible at a lot of the bigger venues. Commonwealth Park comes to mind- the stalls are literally not lockable, unless you remove and replace the doors completely, at which point someone could simply climb over the top of the stall next door and hand things over if they were looking to steal. Most horse stalls are not designed to be locked, and if they are, they aren't designed to be theft-proof.

The answer to this, I'm afraid, is taking your saddle home/to the hotel/locking it in your vehicle at night, or making sure it's well insured under your homeowner's policy. Alternatively, showgrounds could beef up the security after dark a bit, but then again, that would mean more fees for exhibitors.

JinxyFish313
Oct. 6, 2009, 02:28 PM
I hope you had a discussion with the trainer or whoever was in charge of your equipment about how unacceptable it is to have your stuff stolen while its under their care.

When we are at over night shows the good stuff is locked in trunks and the tack stall door is locked. Someone could go over the top but then they need to break the trunk lock or lift it over the wall (not happening). I figure that locking stuff up out of sight will convince thieves to steal something easier instead, given that it would take time to get mine and increase the likelihood of security coming around, and they don't know what they'd be getting anyway. If I were a thief I wouldn't want to cut locks and find a trunk full of vet wrap and sponges, then have to waste more time getting into more trunks to get the good stuff.

secretlink
Oct. 6, 2009, 04:11 PM
My saddle was taken during the day, and no the tack stall was not locked at the time(I dont know if they locked it at other times as I was not there. It is a frustrating situation for sure. They had checked out the horses, gone off to do?, than come back and just my saddle was gone...it sucks. When they called the police they showed up in force, but not much came of it...I am investigating my options and keeping my eye out but it looks like it might be a whole lotta nothing...

ExJumper
Oct. 6, 2009, 04:21 PM
I hope you had a discussion with the trainer or whoever was in charge of your equipment about how unacceptable it is to have your stuff stolen while its under their care.

When we are at over night shows the good stuff is locked in trunks and the tack stall door is locked. Someone could go over the top but then they need to break the trunk lock or lift it over the wall (not happening). I figure that locking stuff up out of sight will convince thieves to steal something easier instead, given that it would take time to get mine and increase the likelihood of security coming around, and they don't know what they'd be getting anyway. If I were a thief I wouldn't want to cut locks and find a trunk full of vet wrap and sponges, then have to waste more time getting into more trunks to get the good stuff.

You lock it during the day? I don't see many people doing that...

My saddle was taken during the day, and no the tack stall was not locked at the time(I dont know if they locked it at other times as I was not there. It is a frustrating situation for sure. They had checked out the horses, gone off to do?, than come back and just my saddle was gone...it sucks. When they called the police they showed up in force, but not much came of it...I am investigating my options and keeping my eye out but it looks like it might be a whole lotta nothing...

During the day -- especially the early days before a lot of the owners show up -- it's not likely that ANYTHING will be locked up during the day, and it's quite likely that everyone (grooms included) could be up at a ring, say, trying to get 6 horse in and out of the low warmups or something. If I felt like it I could probably steal 100 saddles during the first two days of a big horse show.

It sucks to be sure, but that's what insurance is for. If you were on the grounds at the same time and it worried you, you could have locked it in your trunk or kept it in your car -- but if your saddle went with your horse and was taken before you got there, then I think you're SOL. I don't know how much luck you'd have going off on your trainer about it. Unless you had asked her to use her own saddle on your horse and she had INSISTED on bringing yours...

It should be covered under your homeowners, though.

JinxyFish313
Oct. 6, 2009, 04:51 PM
No we don't lock stuff up during the day, but there is ALWAYS someone there.

Ghazzu
Oct. 6, 2009, 05:34 PM
I show at a number of shows at the Big E, and always lock the tack stall if we're not right there.
Though I expect it's horsefolk and not the locals who are the tack thieves, in general, so I'd lock the tack stall pretty much anywhere.

PRS
Oct. 6, 2009, 05:57 PM
I am so sorry for your loss. It is very frustrating that we work so hard to buy nice things and some knuckle dragging asshole walks by and just takes what he wants. Just a suggestion: A lot of us leave our tack in public places at shows and what not. Even if the tack stall is not locked a theif will want to snatch what he/she wants and get the heck out of there as quickly as possible. I lock my saddle down to my saddle rack and I have my grooming bucket under the saddle rack so anyone who grabs the saddle will take saddle rack, grooming bucket and all and won't be able to carry it without making a big scene. It will take too much time to figure out how to get it all undone and they will most likely just leave it and move on to something easier to take. On a western saddle a bicycle cable lock through the gullet will work. On an English saddle run it through both stirrups, it'll at least slow them down. Thieves want an easy mark.

GrayCatFarm
Oct. 6, 2009, 06:21 PM
I am so sorry about your saddle. My first saddle was stolen in a barn robbery - everyone was cleaned out and my homeowner's covered it. But it was absolutely no fun trying to replace it with something new (it was old, but I was quite fond of it). At the last big show, our stalls were at the end right by the exit. On the last day of the show I came right around the corner to find a guy dawdling by the tack stall. I sat down in the chair and he just kept hanging out in the area and then finally left. You know, looking up in the air and whistling type of dawdling? Anyway, locked saddle in trailer and later spotted him in the crew of another barn loading up to leave. Pretty sure that had I come by 5 min later, my saddle would have been on someone else's trailer.
I really feel for you. Here's hoping that your homeowners will kick in (State Farm was great) and that your break-in time on the new saddle is short and sweet.

Guin
Oct. 6, 2009, 07:01 PM
Check Craigslist, Ebay, AND any tack stores in the area that sell used saddles. Call around to the tack stores and ask them to keep an eye out. Thieves are stupid. We got my son's guitar back after our house was robbed - the idiots tried to sell it at the music store two miles from our house.

tBHj
Oct. 6, 2009, 09:53 PM
If your saddle is stolen from your boarding barn.. who's insurance poilcy covers it? Yours or the BO?

Jumphigh83
Oct. 7, 2009, 09:02 AM
You should have your saddle covered by your home owners. As a barn owner I don't want that liability. I provide a place to hang your saddle as a courtesy and make no claims about its security. You are not "required" to leave your saddle in the tack room. I guess you could sue me?

Mags
Oct. 7, 2009, 11:19 AM
Heritage Farm is having an auction this weekend. It starts with used tack in the AM then horses later in the day. I'd give then a call with a discription of your saddle. They're great folks over there and I'm sure they would keep an eye out for you. Good luck.

Ty2003
Oct. 7, 2009, 04:19 PM
Your home or renters policy covers it. Those policies cover your personal items at home or away from home (so if you were traveling and had items stolen it should be covered). Barn owner doesn't have liability, and even if you did try to sue them chances are nothing would come of it. I had all my stuff stolen out of a barn when I was a teenager. My parent's homeowner policy covered it but it still is a pain to replace everything (especially my saddle which was perfectly broken in). They did catch the guy who did it and he was ordered to pay restitution but it didn't come close to the value of the things he stole.

luvs2ridewbs
Oct. 8, 2009, 11:14 AM
Those show grounds also have a reputation of being a place where saddles get stolen. At New England Finals a few years ago, a bunch of saddles were stolen from some BNTs. If I am there to show, I keep my saddle locked in my truck if I am not there to watch it.

jn4jenny
Oct. 8, 2009, 11:21 AM
Your home or renters policy covers it. Those policies cover your personal items at home or away from home (so if you were traveling and had items stolen it should be covered)

Sure, if you don't mind taking the ding to your insurance rates for making a claim.

If your saddle is at high risk of theft (for example, b/c you go to big shows like this) it might be worth taking out a separate personal property policy on it. My State Farm agent told me that he could write a whole separate policy for my saddle for about 1% of its retail value per year. My saddle is not at high risk (lives in my house not at barn) so I didn't feel it was worth the additional expense.

Rhody Ram
Oct. 8, 2009, 11:37 AM
Those show grounds also have a reputation of being a place where saddles get stolen. At New England Finals a few years ago, a bunch of saddles were stolen from some BNTs. If I am there to show, I keep my saddle locked in my truck if I am not there to watch it.

Yeah, I usually lock my trunk when I go to ride or do anything there or at other shows... Even though my saddle is on the horse there is still stuff in the trunk people could get into. I am just by myself though, not with a big barn, so it's easy for me to keep track of it.

rothmpp
Oct. 8, 2009, 12:45 PM
You should really check with your insurance carrier. My homeowner's policy covered $10K of equipment, but only $1k on any one item. Hardly enough to cover most saddles. I had to add a rider to my policy for my saddle to have the full value covered.