PDA

View Full Version : Nameplates

grayfox
Oct. 5, 2009, 03:27 PM
Dumb hunter person here. I want to do more dressage stuff with some of my stallions so I bought a nice Stubben dressage bridle. Where do I put the name plate and do I use brass like a hunter bridle or chrome, which would look so nice with the black. TIA.

Equibrit
Oct. 5, 2009, 03:34 PM
You don't.

Timex
Oct. 5, 2009, 03:40 PM
Quite honestly, who cares? Do what you want. I have bronze nameplates on my brown tack, silver on the black tack. Because *I* like it. Then again, I have a (gasp!) brown dressage saddle and a black bridle, so what do I know?

mjhco
Oct. 5, 2009, 03:48 PM
Dumb hunter person here. I want to do more dressage stuff with some of my stallions so I bought a nice Stubben dressage bridle. Where do I put the name plate and do I use brass like a hunter bridle or chrome, which would look so nice with the black. TIA.

I put my silver nameplate on the crown.

Lots of horses in the barn with lots of black bridles--MUCH easier to identify.

cuatx67
Oct. 5, 2009, 03:58 PM
I've never seen a nameplate on a dressage bridle - but chrome sounds pretty...

merrygoround
Oct. 5, 2009, 04:12 PM
The only one I ever saw had the owner's name on it, and it was brass on a brown bridle.

It was on the crown piece.

grayfox
Oct. 5, 2009, 04:51 PM
If most of you don't have nameplates how does your trainer know who's bridle is who's?

tempichange
Oct. 5, 2009, 05:26 PM
usually by the bit, style and size. But I think he name plates look snazzy.

Equibrit
Oct. 5, 2009, 05:58 PM
If most of you don't have nameplates how does your trainer know who's bridle is who's?

Trainer ?
The farms I have visited (with trainers) find that labeling the tack hook is sufficient.

Gry2Yng
Oct. 5, 2009, 07:49 PM
Put it on the crown. I am an eventer, lived in dressage and h/j barns. Do what you want. No one in dressage land really gives a darn. Browbands are usually different enough to identify bridles. I have black and brown and they all have a brass plate on the crown and the brownbands are all plain leather.

grayfox
Oct. 5, 2009, 08:28 PM
Put it on the crown. I am an eventer, lived in dressage and h/j barns. Do what you want. No one in dressage land really gives a darn. Browbands are usually different enough to identify bridles. I have black and brown and they all have a brass plate on the crown and the brownbands are all plain leather.

Good the know. There are specific traditions in hunterland but I quess not so much in the dressage world. Thanks everyone.

jcotton
Oct. 7, 2009, 06:25 PM
Instead of a nameplate, get a round name tag. Smartpak, Dover, Schneider's have them.

Carrera
Oct. 7, 2009, 07:21 PM
We use round name tags...

Trixie's mom
Oct. 7, 2009, 07:27 PM
i put mine on the crown behind the left ear...works for me. don't really care if it bothers some...makes my life easier.

regarding name tags on hooks...fine and good if you know whos bridle goes where but sometimes when i go to shows and have several people riding at once and horse are getting tacked and untacked by grooms and helpers, tack gets put wherever until the chaos dies down...then cleaned and put back. a lot easier for the help when stuff is identifiable by name. my two cents worth...same for saddles, girths...

nashgirl
Oct. 7, 2009, 10:35 PM
Little brass round name tags are great for bridles, girths, blankets, etc!

Mardi
Oct. 8, 2009, 12:43 AM
There are specific traditions in hunterland but I quess not so much in the dressage world.

We have our traditions too, it's just that less is more in dressage, and you don't want anything to distract from the horse.

Foxhound
Oct. 8, 2009, 08:10 AM
I like the little round tags. I get them with my initials or my horse's barn name and hang them from the buckle of the left cheekpiece.

nhwr
Oct. 8, 2009, 08:39 AM
There are specific traditions in hunterland but I quess not so much in the dressage world.Oh we have our traditions too. They include harassing crossover HPs who ask legitimate questions ;)

I use small dog tags (the kind you can make at Petco for $2) on my working bridles. My show bridles are easy to distinguish - they are all blingless :eek:

I'd love to see how Redwine does in the dressage ring. Let me know if he comes south!

butlerfamilyzoo
Oct. 8, 2009, 10:09 AM
I've seen plenty of the round tags, though i have to say, most big barns i've been in are not marked and employees/trainers memorize bits/browbands/colors, etc...

Frankly, i dont think it matters, judges arent going to say, eww... What the heck is on their bridle. I dont think they notice. Same with the tack color. So long as its all clean and you have a tidy appearance, viola... :)

CatOnLap
Oct. 8, 2009, 10:24 AM
There are specific traditions in hunterland but I quess not so much in the dressage world.
oh dear, Dorothy. Welcome to dressage. You are not in Kansas any more!

Nameplates are not much used, but other dressage traditions can be positively stifling. Like who came up with the notion of long black woolen coats with vests, ties and black hats, when most of our shows are in the summer?

Mardi
Oct. 8, 2009, 08:49 PM
I'd love to see how Redwine does in the dressage ring.

Video is on YouTube, taken in Germany.

mvp
Oct. 9, 2009, 08:58 AM
grayfox-- you can help the dressagers out. Show 'em how it's done in Hunterworld and then bring a good taste version over here. I know y'all will hate me for saying this, but you should admit that you like bling (witness the beaded browband/metallic or colored leather on lined bridles phenomena) and that not everyone does bling in good taste.

So here's my vain, uppity advice on these important aesthetic questions.

Personally, I'd ditch the Stubben bridle. You know from Hunterworld that there is more beautiful leather out there.

I do dig labels. I'd use chrome on black tack, and brass on brown. I'd put a round tag on the left cheek piece buckle. I like that because I can switch out tags as needed. If I bought a rolled bridle with just one enormous buckle at the top, I'd attach the tag to that. However, George has the reputation for being anti-tag, perhaps even anti-plate. To some hunter people, the tag says "dog." I think the tag can look a little more discreet than a plate. I suppose if you put the plate right at the top of the crown, it would be unobtrusive.

Equibrit
Oct. 9, 2009, 09:53 AM
Well .......eeerrrrrrrrr............like.............uu uuuuuuuuuummmmmmmmmm, in dressage world we can recognize our tack and our horses !

Oakstable
Oct. 9, 2009, 10:41 AM
I've never seen a nameplate or nametag on a dressage bridle.

I'm interested in trends in bridles too and I enjoy looking at head shots of lovely stallions on the European web sites.

slc2
Oct. 10, 2009, 05:57 AM
I think name tags on the sides of the bridle look absolutely awful on a dressage horse's tack. I even had them for a while because someone at our barn pestered me endlessly about buying them. But I did not put them on the show bridle, because I think they look awful.

Traditions have broken down over the last few years because there are so many new people in dressage, many of them from hunter land or other riding styles where those name tags are so de rigeur, as are the brass name plates on the bracelet or belt.

Some people just can't stand the tradition in dressage, which is to have completely unobtrusive equipment in the competition. So they do whatever they want. More power to 'em, it's a free country.

Lusoluv
Oct. 11, 2009, 12:41 AM
I've always had chrome nameplates on dressage bridles. I put mine on the crown piece. My European trainer puts them on the crown or on the cheekpiece that holds the curb (on the left side). Looks subtle and classy.

Sabovee
Oct. 11, 2009, 07:48 AM
I have nameplates on all my dressage bridles. On the crown piece.

Trevelyan96
Oct. 11, 2009, 09:48 PM
I put a tag on mine for the simple fact that I have a bad habit of leaving my stuff at the trainers barn, but I much prefer the plate on the crown piece.

Today I forgot the girth for my jumping saddle. Thank God I had the trial saddle with me! Time to go back to doing all my packing the night before, I guess.

nzequestrian
May. 5, 2010, 09:40 AM
Try www.Bridleplates.com they have a huge selection of plates and tags...

johnnysauntie
May. 5, 2010, 02:11 PM
I'd love to see how Redwine does in the dressage ring.

me too! me too!

InsideLeg2OutsideRein
May. 5, 2010, 02:21 PM

Lol, some people train their own horses. And in some barns, trainers know whose tack is whose. And in still others, there is a label at the wall etc.etc.etc. And last I checked having your tack labeled wasn't a requirement to do dressage ;)

Sabovee
May. 5, 2010, 02:38 PM
I have nameplates on all my bridles, not that I need them to tell them apart - everyone has different browbands etc. But I like nameplates!

see u at x
May. 5, 2010, 03:09 PM
Good grief. What's up with some of the snarky, rude, and classless comments? No wonder so many people think that dressage riders are a bunch of stuck up b**ches.

OP, do what YOU want to do. In dressage, MOST people don't care, and the ones who do, oviously have way too much time on their hands. I don't do it myself, but personally, I think that the plate on the crownpieace would probably look just fine.

Redwine is so lovely...I look forward to seeing him do some dressage shows here in the U.S. Good luck!