PDA

View Full Version : Cool old win photo from Laurel

Rubyfree
Oct. 5, 2009, 01:41 PM
My brand new hubby and I are on a mini-moon at our lake house in the Finger Lakes area this week. We went hunting through antique shops in search of a wedding present for ourselves. What did we come home with but an old win photo from Laurel, circa 1945- probably not what he'd had in mind :D I had just mentioned to him that the lack of old horse racing schwag in local antique stores was disheartening to me, and I turned around and there it was.
The horse is Hy Rickey, owned by E.P. Lundberg, trained by H. Dabson, ridden by H. Claggett. It's in pretty good shape for it's age, and I'm very curious as to how it survived this long & ended up in Hammondsport NY.
Do any of the names here mean anything to the historians? I've pulled his pedigree but saw nothing that meant anything to me. It's a pretty cool little piece of history regardless of it's value; I thought others would find it as interesting as I!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v203/rubystheory/GetAttachment-1aspx-1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v203/rubystheory/GetAttachmentaspx-2.jpg

foundationmare
Oct. 5, 2009, 08:11 PM
Hi Rubyfree and new hubby! Congratulations on your nuptials!

I don't live in Hammondsport, but I grew up on the east side of Seneca Lake and now live north of Canandaigua Lake. The Finger Lakes are near and dear to my heart!

I googled Hi Rickey and came up with a very old, circa 1948 I think, page from a radio show program. It was like a page from the NY Post. The text was blurry to me, but, then again, my eyes aren't what they used to be!

I have no idea why that pic would have been in a shop in Hammondsport, but it would be interesting to do a comprehensive search. There is a family named Rickey that are Geneva natives, but I have no idea if there is a connection.

If you find any local connections, please post. What a neat find!

danceronice
Oct. 5, 2009, 08:50 PM
Funny, must be a weekend for it--while hitting up the antiques mall in Niles, MI, this weekend looking for wall art for the new house, I came across a win picture from Beulah Park from 1944. It's for a horse named Hot Dice, ridden by G. Spry, trained by R. Cuees (?--could be Cvees), owned by Mrs. E. Messerschmidt and Mrs. R. Cuees (or Cvees--the calligrapher was being very artistic.) It's from May 29, 1944 and he won at 6 furlongs in 1:14 and 4/5. I checked equineline.com and Hot Dice appears to be a 1941 model chestnut gelding with 20 starts by Bitter Berry out of Busy Ven by Busy American. (Sorry, it's mounted on cardboard and I don't have a flatbed scanner so no pictures.)

I doubt that anyone has any more information, given how old the picture is, but if anyone does, it would be great to hear.

That sounds like a great honeymoon, Rubyfree!

Acertainsmile
Oct. 5, 2009, 09:06 PM
Very cool... I'm guessing it's Hal Claggett up. His family is still racing here in Maryland.