PDA

View Full Version : Nameplate Question

Jack16
Oct. 5, 2009, 11:01 AM
Maybe a stupid question----Due to the fact that when I hack at shows and take my martingale off I like to put nameplates on my stuff. Anyway my ADT martingale is rolled and not flat so I don't know where to put it. Do I just flatten out where I put it or am I just going to have to not put the nameplate on.

Renn/aissance
Oct. 5, 2009, 11:04 AM
Try using a brass dog tag on the buckle instead of a standard nameplate. :)

Lkramer
Oct. 5, 2009, 11:04 AM
I use the little brass circle dog tag thing on my raised martingales. I dont think trying to flatten it for a plate would ever lay flat enough, and would probably get snagged on something

arielise
Oct. 5, 2009, 11:08 AM
I have always used the round dog tags as well.

Tha Ridge
Oct. 5, 2009, 11:18 AM
Or, as an alternative, if you're set on a plate, you can do it on the flat part by where the girth loop is.

Fashion Police
Oct. 5, 2009, 02:18 PM
Ideally it shouldn't be visible, I put it right behind the buckle on the neck piece, so it's covered by the leather end/tip after it's buckled. (I'm sure there's a word for it but I can't think of it) between the buckle and the keeper.

nycrider2004
Oct. 5, 2009, 02:25 PM
You can also stamp it rather than using the brass plate, tag, etc. It's not as obvious (ie to keep from people "accidentily" grabbing your tack by "mistake" :) but does help delineate it as yours if it's just a matter of being able to do that so it doesn't get mixed up by the grooms or people helping you, etc. as the one that goes with your horse.

alteringwego
Oct. 5, 2009, 02:38 PM
I put mine on the flat portion under the front legs. Have also put them on the inside of the leather before.

TheJenners
Oct. 5, 2009, 03:49 PM
Ditto stamping or branding your leather goods. The tags are awesome for keeping gear straight at a barn, but when stuff goes missing it takes about 0.002 seconds to get that tag off and toss it in the high grass.

I'm in the process of thinking of a symbol to stick on my new saddle, somewhere semi-visible. My BF owns a brand and has it on his saddle (roping saddle), and it's the same one he has on his horses. You can see it here (http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/photo.php?pid=546603&id=1281017695), it's a rocking chair. If something like that appeals to you, then making it small enough, it can fit on breastplates, headstalls of bridles, girths, etc.

findeight
Oct. 5, 2009, 04:44 PM
Having lost 2 martingales that way, during a flat class. I can assure you that a name on there won't slow anybody down and if they get the "wrong" one, it's not coming back to you. Despite PA announcements
and walking the barn aisles posting flyers.

Use the dog tag idea if you want, you ever keep it long enough and have it survive until you want to sell it (never say never), it's easy to take off.

VandyLover
Oct. 5, 2009, 05:16 PM
not to hijack, but how DO you take those flat ones off? Just curious, I know it can be done but it doesn't seem possible.

spmoonie
Oct. 5, 2009, 05:55 PM
not to hijack, but how DO you take those flat ones off? Just curious, I know it can be done but it doesn't seem possible.

I have taken plates off of two saddles. Each time, I just gently wedged something between the plate and the saddle and pryed it off. VERY gently though. Coins usually serve as good wedges.