PDA

View Full Version : Almutawakel - Info Wanted

tlw
Oct. 5, 2009, 10:56 AM
I'm considering buying an English TB event horse. His sire is Almutawakel, who won the Dubai World Cup in '99. My research indicates that Almutawakel was put down because of "chronic arthrosis." I am curious to know whether this is considered a heritable trait and whether any of his progeny have had a similar problem?

Also, does anybody have any information about any progeny who went on to become sport horses?

Thanks.

Equilibrium
Oct. 6, 2009, 12:52 AM
I assume you mean arthritis, but I wouldn't say his was a hereditary issue. He'd been injured in his paddock at one stage, maybe it was from that.

He had very nice babies to deal with, we had one here. They were late maturing horses which wasn't very popular at yearling sales. As of now, I haven't heard of any successful sport horses by him, but I'm thinking he also had fertility issues which meant there wasn't many of them.

If he's a nice horse, none of the above would bother me.

Terri

tlw
Oct. 6, 2009, 03:33 PM
Equilibrium: He appears to be a very nice 7 yo. He's been eventing for two years and seems to have really turned the corner mid way through this season. He had 2 firsts and 1 third in his last three outings at novice on very solid dressage scores. Its funny, but I was looking for something with a bit of bone (ISH type) and I found this guy who appears to have American TB in 3 of 4 parents. Go figure. Anyway, thanks for the info.