PDA

View Full Version : hunters and jumpers spinoff i guess

cruisecontrol
Oct. 5, 2009, 09:31 AM
I recently entered into the hunter world after riding jumpers and dressage all of my horse riding career i have found that is a very different world. So I was wondering what everyones take on it was. Do you like the slow and steady or the hyped up and gun em on? Personally only after riding hunters for a month or so I still like jumpers better :P but i would love to hear your opinion on it. Should i stick with hunters? I'm a senior in high school and want to ride on the IHSA team when i go to college but i think eventually when i have money i want to event.
thanks in advance!!

oh p.s. whats a really good D-ring bit to buy i have always used a loose ring so i dont know

TrakeGirl
Oct. 5, 2009, 09:38 AM
Hunters!

But I think it varies with your personality. I am a pretty calm person - I wouldn't like to be rushed/gunning it around a course or making my horse feel all jazzed up running around with his head high as a kite. When I get nervous - I am one that holds back and would happily do the adds instead of pushing for the strides, so for me - I like the steadiness of hunters. I wouldn't call it slow though - since you do need to have a decent gallop going to make your strides.

I just drooled all last week watching the pros go around at Capital Challenge - loved seeing the ones put in smooth rounds where the pace never changed no matter watch. Just gorgeous.

caradino
Oct. 5, 2009, 09:58 AM
i have done hunters/eq most of my life and am just now starting to dabble in the ittybitty jumpers... and i'm definitely a hunter girl through and through.

i don't like feeling 'rushed' in the jumpers, and remembering a twisty turny course PLUS a jumpoff for each round makes me so nervous! i've always been the kind of person that likes to do things in my own time, so the speed aspect of the jumpers doesn't appeal to me, although i do like the challenge of the tighter turns and related distances in the jumper courses, but i can do eq classes and ride the same types of jumps at my own pace. my goal when i do jumpers is just to get around clean and have fun!

i love the style and grace of the hunters, the forward yet relaxed pace of a good round, and the challege of keeping a beautiful rhythm around course. it just fits my riding style and personality better.

sptraining
Oct. 5, 2009, 11:42 AM
Riding the hunters for a little while will do a lot for your riding. The hunters will make you much more disciplined in staying calm, on your track, and making adjustments quietly. I don't know how you ride the jumpers, but the hunters will most likely put a finesse into your ride that you can take back into the jumpers later. It will be good for you too if you want to move over to eventing. I'm not big in the eventing world, but the few lovely eventers I've watched go have had signficant equitation training.

I personally like the jumpers but have ridden the eq and hunters as well. They all have their place and can all be fun at times. If you want to ride IHSA, I'd definitely recommend spending some time in the hunter/eq arenas to polish your form. I'd also ride anything you could get your hands on because a lot of IHSA horses are pretty interesting rides. Good luck! Have fun!

Go Fish
Oct. 5, 2009, 11:47 AM
I Do you like the slow and steady or the hyped up and gun em on?

See, that's the problem. If you are riding your jumpers like that, then time spent in the hunters will be good for you.

findeight
Oct. 5, 2009, 12:05 PM
Hunters that are hyped up and ridden in run and gun style are called Jumpers. Simply not going to place unless everybody else sucks, falls off or knocks the rails down. Hunters are judged on looking EASY to ride and staying smooth and on a consistent pace with the jump out of that same stride.

Actually, most successful, elite level Jumper riders do not run and gun either.
They use pace and track, which is what you can learn from the Hunters even if you prefer Jumpers. Control the pace and the track to create the best distances.

quiet5
Oct. 5, 2009, 12:17 PM
thank you for that post, findeight! I am SO very tired of watching ammies gun their horses around the jumper course! speed without accuracy is just lunacy (a horse will only bail out such a rider so many times).

watch the big jumpers -- L5s and up and the pro riders -- none of them runs crazy through the course. some horses may have a shorter stride which makes them appear faster, but really, the horses are ridden in step, with light collection, getting the hind end underneath to make them more adjustable and the course is won or lost in the TURNS. of course, the speed classes ride a little differently but STILL, pro riders do not flat out run their horses off their legs to the jumps.

I think the hunter ring provides a great solid foundation for the discipline required to jump any course accurately and efficiently. many people love the hunters and stay in that ring. definitely the place to start and you may learn to love it! you never know.

once you feel more confident, go for some eq classes and medals as well.

:)

I started in the hunters eons ago. did my equitation classes as well. I love medals and jumpers. I love applying all those skills I learned (and keep learning) to the technical questions posed by the course designer in those rings.

welcome to h/j land, good luck and have fun!

RugBug
Oct. 5, 2009, 12:29 PM
In my dream world, there would be multiple medal final quality eq courses at the shows for me to ride. THAT'S what I love best. I love to turn, I just don't like to do it fast. I actually don't care to ride jumpers much at all.

I sat out of the shows last year because all I had to ride was a horse that does best in the jumpers. The horse has no lead changes, so in the jumpers, if I missed landing the lead, I could still do well. I missed showing, so this year, I'm trying my hand with him in the eq medal. We're doing okay.

paintedponiesrule
Oct. 5, 2009, 12:31 PM
Turn to eventing its sooooooooo much cheaper than Hunters and Jumpers, and i personally think its much more fun!

findeight
Oct. 5, 2009, 12:34 PM
Turn to eventing its sooooooooo much cheaper than Hunters and Jumpers, and i personally think its much more fun!

Comparative cost may be a little less and the events are cheaper then the shows but the horses cost about the same for the same talent level and quality and it costs the same to feed them.

And Eventers that run and gun the fences end up running and gunning to the emergency room.

eclipse
Oct. 5, 2009, 12:52 PM
I like riding both hunters and jumpers. You should never gun & run around the jumpers anyway, and you should never creepy crawl around the hunters! My trainer doesn't teach an American style of riding (we get taught a very European style) so I find it very easy to go between the two rings. Some judges will not like the fact that I sit up and sit in my saddle but c'est la vie! Now, this doesn't mean that we sit down hard on our horses backs but it does mean that we don't do a forward, classicly, American style foward seat. But, by doing my time in the hunter ring, I have learnt to do effective non-running courses and learnt how do to effective and tidy turns (a la handy hunter style) which translates very well into the jumper ring. If you watch top jumper riders, they don't run anyway, they win by turning tightly and sticking to a very well thought out plan.

It never hurts to go back and forth between the two rings to keep your riding skills sharp & in tune! Just have fun and ride to the best of your ability and never stop learning! :D

caradino
Oct. 5, 2009, 01:19 PM
this also reminds me of a GREAT lesson i had the other week.

going to the right on the flat, my trainer had us ride our horses like hunters. soft hands, forward, long and low. going to the right, like eq horses. a little more packaged up and collected, on the bit, thinking about our eq a little more.

then we jumped 2 different courses, one hunter style and one jumper/eq course.

it was a great exercise to adjust between the two different rides with each change of direction or new course pattern. makes you appreciate both sides of the h/j world!

NeverEnd
Oct. 5, 2009, 01:29 PM
[QUOTE=TrakeGirl;4419185] I wouldn't like to be rushed/gunning it around a course or making my horse feel all jazzed up running around with his head high as a kite. QUOTE]

Famous misconception of the jumpers. "Fast" in the jumpers is just a lengthening of stride, not gunning wrecklessly around a course of jumps! If you and your horse know what you're doing, a jumper course is just as controled as a hunter course!

A). If you don't like being judged solely on another persons opinion, then you'd enjoy the jumpers.

B). If you don't have a fortune to spend on a picture perfect specimen, jumpers or eventing is for you.

C). If you want to event, then you'd enjoy jumpers. Its a similiar concept. Just you, your horse, the course, and the clock.

D). H/J vs Eventing: can you afford two sets of tack?

E). If you prefer, calm, cool and composed, hunters is for you. If you want an edge, try jumpers or eventing. There is no greater high than eventing on a horse who loves his job!!

Bottom line, the choice to change disciplines depends on your level of comfort and what type of qualified trainers are in your area. My suggestion is take a lesson with a jumper or eventing trainer on their school horse, and see how it feels.

JumpWithPanache
Oct. 5, 2009, 01:45 PM
I've evented and spent several years riding foxhunters/steeplechasers before moving back into Hunterdom. The skills I learned while riding at speed and over varying ground have allowed me to make a lot of saves with a tripping horse, sudden attitude issue, etc. Using those skills in the Hunter ring has required me to re-learn finesse and subtlety in such a way that challenges my riding. The challenge in my mind is how do I make my ride more effective, effortless, and pleasing to the spectator. I certainly don't lose any of the accuracy that I learned before just make it smoother. And I can tell you, running and gunning is the best way to break someone or something when jumping... just plain scary. Hunters and chasers may jump from a gallop, but any horse ridden out often is very well trained and responsive. lol That reminds me... the hardest part to switching back was getting used to a regular distance again, chasers jump from five or more feet back from the fence.

avec_love
Oct. 5, 2009, 06:15 PM
Like you, I used to dabble in jumpers and I also did a little bit of eventing, all before coming to the hunter world. I'll admit that I didn't really understand the point at first, but that's because I was riding from point to point rather than focusing on the fluidity, perfect distances, etc. required in the hunter world. I've come to love the grace of hunters, and the truth is that once you move past the lower levels, you need to be moving in the hunter ring as well in order to get your strides. If nothing else, I think riding the hunters will help you learn to really ride your lines and ride/adjust subtly - good traits to have, no matter what ring you are in :yes:

EquitationRider
Oct. 5, 2009, 06:25 PM
I love the equitations, they are fun and kind of combinde hunters and equitation.

But between hunter and jumpers, i love the jumpers.
I don't like subjectivness of hunters and how a lot of times the most expensive and fancy horse wins.

But i supose I would like hunters a lot better if my horse was a hunter, which he isn't at all!

cruisecontrol
Oct. 7, 2009, 04:17 PM
I wasnt saying you should gun your horse i was just talking about the type my jumper courses have just been very relaxed i never meant to imply that your horse be a lunatic in the ring rushing to every fence i make my horse wait for me to go to the jump.

RugBug
Oct. 7, 2009, 04:26 PM
I wasnt saying you should gun your horse i was just talking about the type my jumper courses have just been very relaxed i never meant to imply that your horse be a lunatic in the ring rushing to every fence i make my horse wait for me to go to the jump.

Hopefully your horse doesn't run-on as much as your sentences. :winkgrin: