PDA

View Full Version : I'm meeting my new horse today!!! update post 24

clivers
Oct. 5, 2009, 10:01 AM
I have done the unthinkable - I bought an event horse sight unseen!!! He's a 9 year old TBxHano by A Fine Romance and has a great jump, if not the best dressage. My coach (Ian Roberts) was wonderful and picked him up for me while showing at Morven this weekend. Many thanks to Allison Springer for caring for him for the past 2 years and dropping him off at the show for Ian. Major thanks to fellow COTHer Fred for telling me about him in the first place!!!! You are the BEST!!!!
I'm told Cupid is a relationship horse - needs to get to know you before he relaxes and does his best work...so I figured a quick trip to meet him wouldn't tell the whole story. I'm so psyched to get to know my new buddy and even more psyched to have a sound horse to ride next year (and this winter in Aiken!!!).
Here's his video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNLHr2Rvgew
and some pics: http://brantgamma.exposuremanager.com/p/springer_allison_va/v1pl212517
http://brantgamma.exposuremanager.com/p/springer_allison_va/v1pl212817
http://brantgamma.exposuremanager.com/p/springer_allison_va/v1bg61674

Isn't he gorgeous!!!! I'm in deep smit!

toeknee
Oct. 5, 2009, 10:38 AM
very exciting! he looks like a cool dude! congrats!

CookiePony
Oct. 5, 2009, 10:39 AM
Just lovely! Big congrats! Looking forward to hearing about you getting to know each other. :cool:

scribbles
Oct. 5, 2009, 10:43 AM
congrats! have fun in aiken

clivers
Oct. 5, 2009, 12:09 PM
Going to go pick him up now. So excited!!!!

Catalina
Oct. 5, 2009, 12:14 PM
Wow! Lucky you :D. He is stunning! Have fun getting to know him (and you can always send him to me if you get bored with him :winkgrin:).

Sudi's Girl
Oct. 5, 2009, 12:38 PM
Congratulations! He looks amazingly awesome! Hope you have a blast! :-D

KayBee
Oct. 5, 2009, 04:50 PM
Congratulations. And, yeah, I'm a little jealous. *I* wanna pony (of my very own).

cranky
Oct. 5, 2009, 05:03 PM
Very exciting. I bought a horse this way -- my trainer found her in Aiken for me and I bought her and then rode her for the first time in New Hampshire about a week or so later. That was about 5-6 months ago and so far it's worked out really, really well. We just finished our Eventing season together -- I did far more than I thought I was going to be able to this year, most of it because I ended up with the right horse!

Please post some pictures when you get him!

fanfayre
Oct. 5, 2009, 05:32 PM
Congrats!! Welcome to the Fred family:D

Renascence
Oct. 5, 2009, 05:48 PM
Congratulations! Did you meet Cupid yet? What a beautiful horse! yay another cother joined the AFR family!

clivers
Oct. 5, 2009, 05:58 PM
Hi guys,
I picked him up this afternoon and he's perfect!!! Handsome, very well mannered, quiet etc. I couldn't be happier! So far he's settling in well: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=9172115&l=7a4aa4653e&id=681770272
As soon as my little girl goes to bed I'm sneaking out to the barn to take him for a non-test ride :)
Happy Early Birthday to me :) :)

cranky
Oct. 5, 2009, 06:06 PM
Awwwww, how sweet and cute does he look?! Have fun on your first ride.

EqTrainer
Oct. 5, 2009, 08:38 PM
I certainly see why you are full of smit - congratulations!

Sithly
Oct. 5, 2009, 08:50 PM
Congratulations! He looks lovely. :cool:

jenm
Oct. 6, 2009, 02:39 AM
Congratulations, he looks like a great "find". Have fun with him!!

LovinRocky
Oct. 6, 2009, 02:30 PM
Congrats! I have to say I am soooo envious! I have looked at him over and over on Allison's website. If I needed another horse right now, I would have bought him in a second!
My fine eventer is still in good shape despite turning 16 next year, so until he is retired I just "window shop" to see what is out there!
Lucky you, enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fred
Oct. 6, 2009, 02:45 PM
I'm thrilled, beyond happy, that Cupid has such a wonderful new home and such a wonderful new owner. Congratulations to both of you!
He is a lovely horse, with excellent movement and can do very well in the dressage, and as you know, he can jump.
I'm so happy for you, Gabby, and wish you both all the best of luck.

I hope to get up there to see you both sometime soon.

And as fanfayre and renascence said: welcome. (although you were already an honourary member of the family ;))

clivers
Oct. 6, 2009, 07:25 PM
Do we have an AFR offspring owners/riders clique? If not, shouldn't we?

Rode Cupid today and he was just perfect!!! He IS a lovely mover, and his dressage is actually very good!!! What a superstar! We got along really, really well. He's light, soft, forward, and has the most beautiful canter!!! He also hacked quietly around the whole farm, and jumped a couple of small jumps too! What more could a girl want!

Thanks for all the congrats everyone. I'm such a proud horsey mom :)

ETA just changed my signature to reflect joining "the club", lol!

cottagefarm
Oct. 6, 2009, 07:50 PM
Awesome. Congratulations!

Lincoln
Oct. 6, 2009, 08:50 PM
yowsah. That looks like fun. Don't know what I like better, the juicy canter in stadium or the stepping over the fences like they're barely there and accelerating away xc...

Lucky_Break
Oct. 7, 2009, 04:37 AM
Congrats! He is lovely. Looks like you two will have a lot of fun together!

Fred
Oct. 7, 2009, 08:18 AM
Do we have an AFR offspring owners/riders clique? If not, shouldn't we?

Rode Cupid today and he was just perfect!!! He IS a lovely mover, and his dressage is actually very good!!! What a superstar! We got along really, really well. He's light, soft, forward, and has the most beautiful canter!!! He also hacked quietly around the whole farm, and jumped a couple of small jumps too! What more could a girl want!

Thanks for all the congrats everyone. I'm such a proud horsey mom :)

ETA just changed my signature to reflect joining "the club", lol!

I saw your new signature, Gabby - that made me laugh! :)

I'm really glad your first ride on your new boy went so well, and I'm so happy you and he are getting along well. Thank you for the update.

"this could be the start of a beautiful relationship"

clivers
Oct. 27, 2009, 03:57 PM
Hi guys,
I just thought I'd post an update for those of you who are interested in following:
Cupid is a STAR!!! We did some XC on Sunday and he is bold and enthusiastic, but ratable and balanced. He's such a joy to ride!!! Started out with a few single logs, then figure eight over a combination and then straight through the two stride then played at banks up and down (prob T height), a few bigger galloping fences (Yahoo!!!) and some ditches to finish up the day. He never questioned anything, and felt like there was a ton of extra "turbo boost" power left over to be recruited as needed. A perfect confidence building first school together. I couldn't be happier!! Cupid looks pretty happy these days too. I think it's working out for both of us :)
DH took some video - I'll try and post a link or some stills soon.

annikak
Oct. 27, 2009, 04:21 PM
Sounds like A Fine Romance to me!

(couldn't help myself....):winkgrin:

congrats!!!!!

Fred
Nov. 3, 2009, 09:17 AM
thank you for the great update, Clivers. I'm glad you and he are hitting it off so well together and that you are happy with your new horse!
I'm sure he is VERY happy in his new home. Pictures!!!!

What are your plans for him?

annikak ;)".....with no kisses"

AppJumpr08
Nov. 3, 2009, 09:43 AM
Ok now I *really* want a Fred baby!!! He's LOVELY!

Congratulations :D