PDA

View Full Version : Haddad and Winyamaro in Berlin

magdelene
Oct. 5, 2009, 07:37 AM
Catherine Haddad has riden a young Grand Prix horse on a high placing in Berlin on the weekend. He is Winyamaro, bei Walt Disney and is nine year old. We are very happy to see freestyles from Mrs. Haddad!:winkgrin:

Hier is a video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVE0cq1zqWI

caddym
Oct. 5, 2009, 07:55 AM
thank you for posting this. What a TALENTED horse!!!!!

Ellie&Werther
Oct. 5, 2009, 11:27 AM
Really fun music, thanks for sharing!

narcisco
Oct. 5, 2009, 11:31 AM
Love his markings, love her brown coat and tack. Nice horse, nice riding.

3Hanns
Oct. 5, 2009, 11:41 AM
There is also a great video of her training Winyamaro on dressagetrainingonline.com

VERY fun to watch!

rileyt
Oct. 5, 2009, 03:29 PM
Cute horse. Love the brown shad.

But -- (and please excuse the railbird sniping here) -- I love CH. She's really grown as a rider... but what the heck is going on with her position and aids? The yanking in the piaffe and the exaggerated leg aids really drove me to distraction. And would somebody please tell her to move her spur up to its proper position? Then maybe she won't need to move her whole leg to use it. Gosh, I'm sorry, but I thought, in this particular video, she looked like she needed a lunge lesson.

Perhaps its a very tough horse?

narcisco
Oct. 5, 2009, 03:56 PM
Very green GP horse, grosser aids. Theoretically, those will become more refined as the horse is stronger and better tuned.

Your question does make me wonder about the new breed of 9 year old GP horses. Clearly, there can't be a level a year to develop the horse. So, the horse can't really know the movements or have them assimilated into his muscle memory (this horse looks like a 9 year old GP horse, not very developed muscle wise). So, the rider has to really help carry the horse. In this case, I thought she over-rode some of the piaffes, and the lifting was maybe not as helpful as it was distracting.

magdelene
Oct. 5, 2009, 06:19 PM
Mrs Haddad rides on a 9 year horse. She presents 15 one time change, 9 two time change ON A BENDED LINE, 15 one time change. She do not make a mistake! The changes are straight and very forwards. Who can make this on so a younger horse??? Let her move her legs! She can ride.

Peace
Oct. 5, 2009, 06:25 PM
Mrs Haddad rides on a 9 year horse. She presents 15 one time change, 9 two time change ON A BENDED LINE, 15 one time change. She do not make a mistake! The changes are straight and very forwards. Who can make this on so a younger horse??? Let her move her legs! She can ride.

Agree. But I'm sure Steffen and Ravel could have.

spotted mustang
Oct. 5, 2009, 06:28 PM
great ride, super-cute horse.

But I must admit, I don't care for the music. It's loud and clutzy. It sounds like traffic noise at a busy intersection. Maybe it's just that they play it so loud, but I felt my heart rate go up.

I wonder if it doesn't just add to the stress level of the horse to have to listen to that ruckus...

egontoast
Oct. 5, 2009, 06:31 PM
Magdelene , what is your connection with "Mrs" Haddad?

I notice most of your posts are about her. :)

slc2
Oct. 5, 2009, 09:09 PM
"the new breed of 9 year old GP horses"

Reiner Klimke brought all his 'old' breed of GP horses out at 7 1/2 or so. This is nothing new, in fact, 9 is usually a horse that's been showing at GP for two years. I think Haddad actually has a slower schedule than many.

And I don't actually think Haddad looks like such a slob. It's a horse that is starting showing at this level. What you see in the ring at this point, is really someone schooling their horse at the show, and it is always this way. There is nothing unusual about Haddad's ride.

A green GP horse is just as green at his level as a training level horse is when he starts showing training level. There's no difference.

The horse is very relaxed, loose and has huge movement. Haddad gives clear, straightforward aids the horse cannot mistake. This helps to build his confidence. He doesn't have to be confused about what he's supposed to do. I don't think he is as strong as he will be; every GP horse has some area that will develop more. How people do this...it's intriguing.

The incredible thing about seeing the horses when they begin at this level, is watching them develop. It is just fascinating.

These horses come out at this level to get used to the test and to competing and producing this test. This is a necessity. One can't just stay at home and school, the horse needs to get used to producing this test at a show, and it takes a lot of time. The judges appear to be VERY familiar with this and they seem to know what to expect and how to score it.

They develop over time, we see (if we watch) things changing, muscles getting stronger, horses getting better schooled, being ridden with lighter and more invisible aids - honestly I can't think of anything that is more educational and a better experience.

The most fascinating thing is that things change so quickly. You don't see the horse for three months, already the trainer has changed so much and you get to see it evolve, and it's an object lesson in training your own horse. I love it.

PennyChrome
Oct. 6, 2009, 11:18 PM
This video brings up an interesting debate. Personally I think she is a lovely rider and seems sympathetic to her horse, but, with STIRRUPS THAT LONG (she couldn't lower her heel if she tried) your seatbones are really carrying all your weight, and you have no 'spring' to help your horse carry you. On the other hand, of course the SRS doesn't ride with stirrups at all . . . opinions ?

slc2
Oct. 7, 2009, 07:00 AM
That is incorrect. In fact it's very incorrect. The Spanish Riding School riders ride with stirrups. Look at their performances sometime. Look at them training horses daily. Stirrups, stirrups, stirrups. Feet IN stirrups.

How do these statements such as in the previous post get started and gain credence when their logic is based on incorrect information?

The only ones riding in performance/training with out stirrups are doing the school jumps where the horse leaps in the air; this is traditional. The stirrups are removed so they can't brace in the stirrups as the horse leaps. It is felt this would throw the horse off balance, and yes, quiet honestly, despite the given reason, they do get tossed around a bit doing those school jumps without stirrups.

The only exception is the eleves who receive a period of instruction riding on the longe line without stirrups or reins. Also tradition. And perhaps student might occasionally be instructed to drop his stirrups while riding later, with reins, as an exercise to deepen his seat. The goal and the norm is to ride there with stirrups.

As for 'she couldn't get her heel down if she tried', this is not Hunt Seat, where the Gods are petitioned daily to help one find a way to get one's heels lower, and a great many people think that at every second a dressage rider should be immobile, even when riding a green, distracted, strong young horse at his first couple GP tests, which is just not realistic. Further, it is just some people's style all the time, to use their lower leg fairly obviously to get the tempe changes. It helps horses to have obvious aids and helps them focus. The most crucial thing is to get all the changes, and if I felt my horse's attention drifting away to the lovely fat mare walking away from the ring, I'd be doing same. And a youngster's attention is ALWAYS drifting away. The leg is NOT pressed on the side, but merely moved, and it helps some horses to be ridden that way.

I think it's very ironic to complain about how Catherine Haddad rides. She rides better than anyone else here, and she rides better than most of the other riders in the entire world, except for a handful of people and she is grimly and meticulously with her typical thoroughness, whittling down that handful every time she unloads a horse at a show. I think that's a fairly decent achievement. Might also be interesting to consider that there are no fellow competitors at her level criticizing her. Instead, they're laying awake nights trying to figure out how the hell to beat her.

Peace
Oct. 8, 2009, 11:39 AM
Nicely written SLC:D

ridgeback
Oct. 8, 2009, 08:22 PM
Good for Catherine:D

slc2
Oct. 8, 2009, 08:27 PM
It's going to be a very, very interesting year.

Peace
Oct. 8, 2009, 09:33 PM
It's going to be a very, very interesting year.

Why?:confused:

J-Lu
Oct. 8, 2009, 10:34 PM
This is a great ride - thanks for posting it! Don't forget that Catherine is riding on a postage-stamp of a saddle. She's in the saddle completely on balance and not knee rolls or "sticky"/"cushy" leather. She has a very educated seat and leg. You just see it more in her tack.

I also love the brown coat. Nice!

TeddyRocks
Oct. 8, 2009, 10:47 PM
This is a great ride - thanks for posting it! Don't forget that Catherine is riding on a postage-stamp of a saddle. She's in the saddle completely on balance and not knee rolls or "sticky"/"cushy" leather. She has a very educated seat and leg. You just see it more in her tack.

I also love the brown coat. Nice!

What kind of saddle is she riding in? After watching the video and really looking at the saddle, you're right. There is NOTHING to it. I would fall off riding a horse like that without my knee rolls and thigh blocks... :D

She is really amazing to me... Go Catherine!

ridgeback
Oct. 9, 2009, 12:03 AM
What kind of saddle is she riding in? After watching the video and really looking at the saddle, you're right. There is NOTHING to it. I would fall off riding a horse like that without my knee rolls and thigh blocks... :D

She is really amazing to me... Go Catherine!

Stubben Schultheis

specialops
Oct. 9, 2009, 11:37 PM
I rode in that saddle while waiting for my new one. It can be a humbling experience and it is also worthwhile to try for a couple of months. Helped to really find my seat. To me, if you can ride well in that saddle you can really ride well.

I thought CH's ride was quite nice and did not feel her aids were overdone like some mentioned. He is a young GP horse....what a super job they both did.

shadowdancer
Oct. 13, 2009, 11:39 AM
Wow. We saw this horse go last spring in Hagen for a young Grand Prix horse class. I cannot believe how much he has improved in such a short time! Love the music. Is Haddad still with Zeilinger?

J-Lu
Oct. 13, 2009, 10:24 PM
Wow. We saw this horse go last spring in Hagen for a young Grand Prix horse class. I cannot believe how much he has improved in such a short time! Love the music. Is Haddad still with Zeilinger?

I don't think so. I think she's full time at her own barn these days. BTW, Michelle Gibson, who also trained with RZ, also rides primarily in this saddle - she's riding in it in the link to her expo ride on Don Angelo currently on CotH.

magdelene
Oct. 15, 2009, 02:44 PM
Mrs Haddad stopped the training bei Zeilinger in 2008. She tells me that Morten Thomsen makes Lehrgaenge (klinik?) at the stable in Oldenburg now. I have made a interview with Mrs Haddad at Hauptstadt Turnier in Berlin.

Peace
Oct. 15, 2009, 03:38 PM
Mrs Haddad stopped the training bei Zeilinger in 2008. She tells me that Morten Thomsen makes Lehrgaenge (klinik?) at the stable in Oldenburg now. I have made a interview with Mrs Haddad at Hauptstadt Turnier in Berlin.

Does that mean Morten Thomsen comes to Haddad's farm and teaches her:confused: By the way I think it is Ms. Haddad not Mrs. Haddad I don't think she's married but maybe someone can clarify that one.

magdelene
Oct. 17, 2009, 08:44 AM
Yes. "Morten Thomsen comes to Haddad's farm and teaches her". Sorry for my bad englisch. In German, every woman is Mrs because we have "Fraulein" no longer in the language. This mean we have only "Frau" for married and not married women. "Ms Haddad" is not married. Sorry!

J-Lu
Oct. 17, 2009, 05:14 PM
Yes. "Morten Thomsen comes to Haddad's farm and teaches her". Sorry for my bad englisch. In German, every woman is Mrs because we have "Fraulein" no longer in the language. This mean we have only "Frau" for married and not married women. "Ms Haddad" is not married. Sorry!

Totally off topic, but can I ask why Fraulein is no longer in the language? Did it just fall out of use or was there a conscious effort? I am curious about what sparked this change.

spotted mustang
Oct. 17, 2009, 08:40 PM
Totally off topic, but can I ask why Fraulein is no longer in the language? Did it just fall out of use or was there a conscious effort? I am curious about what sparked this change.

It's a PC thing; "Fraeulein" is considered patronizing because it literally means "little woman", suggesting that you're not a "real" woman until you're married.

I'm not the PC type, but I was glad when it went away; maybe I'd been called Fraeulein by one too many overbearing, leering, gross old men. :D

J-Lu
Oct. 17, 2009, 10:38 PM
Oh-I didn't realize. Thank you, spotted mustang!

spotted mustang
Oct. 18, 2009, 12:04 AM
de nada ;)