PDA

View Full Version : Las Casas De Las Botas

foxhuntingkiddo
Oct. 5, 2009, 01:06 AM
Hi,
Does anyone have any experience with them/own a pair? The price is definitely right and they look lovely. Any and all info would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance

LovesHorses
Oct. 5, 2009, 01:34 AM
You used to be able to buy them on the West Coast from Ayora. They are absolutely gorgeous. Only complaint I seem to hear is that they are incredibly soft and wear through easily. I guess it all depends on the leather you buy, lining you chose and how often you wear them.

EAY
Oct. 5, 2009, 12:42 PM
I have a pair and I love them. I was measured in Argentina and my brother-in-law brought them here, so I got a really good price. I think I paid less than $250. They fit well and didn't need to be broken in at all. They are really soft, and I hope they don't wear through anytime soon. I did get the calves leather, which the man there did not recommend for everyday boots, but I only wear them for shows.

As much as I like them I don't think the quality is quite as high as Vogels, particularly the workmanship along the seams, but they do seem to be holding up well and you can't see those details unless you examine them very closely. The zippers seem to be of good quality.

Xanthoria
Oct. 5, 2009, 08:48 PM
I got mine measured in Bs As and they mailed the finished article (custom design and fit) to me 10 days later. Couldn't be happier! :D

Horseymama
Oct. 5, 2009, 09:31 PM
I have five pairs! (We go to Argentina a lot.) I love them, they fit me better than any other boots (I've had Vogels and Parlantis, too.) The break-in time is nil. They have the coolest styles. They are pretty reasonable because I get them right from the shop in Buenos Aires. You could say I'm an addict! :)

Rhody Ram
Oct. 8, 2009, 11:06 AM
I am definitely interested in ordering a pair of these. I have a friend who works at Dover so I know I can get the measurements correct.

Has anyone ordered online? Do you know if there is someone who speaks English who can talk to me over the phone? I can speak a little bit of Spanish (had fun translating the website before clicking the english button) but I'm not fluent. I like the Valentin and Javier Solis. I can't figure out what the price is in USD, though.

On the order page, is the Italian topline like what we call a spanish topline? (high curve on top)

For those who ordered, what models did you get with what options and what did you pay USD?

Little Indian
Oct. 8, 2009, 11:19 AM
I have a pair that I love. They are the "juan ayora" model without the hunt tops that I was lucky enough to pick up at Thermal two years ago. I would get another pair in a heartbeat! I really want some with patent leather...they seem to be my weakness!

JinxyFish313
Oct. 8, 2009, 11:23 AM
Are there prices on the website that I'm just not seeing? They look amazing and I need new boots. I'm tired of my vogels falling apart.

Rhody Ram
Oct. 8, 2009, 11:35 AM
There are prices but they seem to be in Argentinian currency. I don't know how to convert... I tried but all I came up with was Arg. pesos and that definitely wasn't correct.

Xanthoria
Oct. 8, 2009, 12:23 PM
Where are you seeing prices? I only see article numbers.

I got the Juan Ayora model with Milano detailed tops. They cost $300 USD plus $150 shipping. There was one guy in the shop who spoke a bit of English.

PS www.xe.com (http://www.xe.com) is your currency converting friend ;)

nycjumper
Oct. 8, 2009, 06:23 PM
The currency here is pesos. I believe they are selling for around 300 USD. (It's 3.8 pesos to the dollar as an FYI) Shipping can be expensive, probably another 150 USD or so.

They have very nice boots and will do lots of fun styles.

JinxyFish313
Oct. 8, 2009, 06:50 PM
Anybody have some pics of their boots? Like your own ones, after you've worn them a bit? Very interested in these and I'm going to have to fight the urge to get something unusual/fun/pretty.

Little Indian
Oct. 9, 2009, 12:56 AM
probably not the very best pictures, but here they are on two separate occasions. I love them! Can't wait to get another pair!
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=32166191&l=98fd8d262e&id=201301603
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=32166192&l=4f32826750&id=201301603

faraway46
Oct. 13, 2009, 10:33 PM
Prices are not over $350+ s&h ($150).
The owner (Jorge) is not very good with english but if you mail him he has an assistant that can write back in english.
If anyone needs help with translations or the such, PM me since I am friends with the owner. I have done this before for some BBers. Recently I helped EventingDreams on her buy. Here she posts about her experience, who details all about prices,customs,etc....
http://www.chronicleforums.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=226385&highlight=argentina
Maybe you can PM her and ask her how it went?
As for quality I love them and here is a pic of my lateset craziness:
http://entertainment.webshots.com/album/566433412bscHWu

Yes, they have gold tops, but I do the jumpers and am latin....I'm allowed to be over the top! ;)
Jorge will customize any design you can come up with...very fun!
Viv

Rhody Ram
Oct. 14, 2009, 08:24 AM
Interesting.. I emailed she told me they were 690 with shipping. I will look into these when I can afford a new pair.

PictureThis1
Oct. 19, 2009, 02:04 AM
I am interested in ordering a pair too. Anyone know if you are able to customize the models of boots they have listed on their website? I am looking for a plain black pair of field boots with the sewn swagger tabs, high spanish tops, zippers, punched toe cap and spur rests. I have been having difficulty trying to find information about this and when I recieved an email back about this they just sent me payment and shipping information. Any experiences?

faraway46
Oct. 19, 2009, 06:58 PM
I am interested in ordering a pair too. Anyone know if you are able to customize the models of boots they have listed on their website? I am looking for a plain black pair of field boots with the sewn swagger tabs, high spanish tops, zippers, punched toe cap and spur rests. I have been having difficulty trying to find information about this and when I recieved an email back about this they just sent me payment and shipping information. Any experiences?

La Casa de las Botas will do anything: from black to lime green, square or round toe, high tops or with a swivel....anything. I posted mine which were black with gold tops and square toe...
Just remail them that you recieved the payment info but you would like certain model with the details you mentioned. The type you want, compared to the crazy things people (like me... ;) ) sometimes ask for, seem pretty traditional...
If you need help with translations or you need me to give Jorge a heads up on your mail and what you need, just PM me and I will help out.
Viv

Little Indian
Oct. 19, 2009, 10:33 PM
faraway, i may have you go as an in-between. I want another pair of boots! I love love love mine and really want some with patent leather tops

PictureThis1
Oct. 20, 2009, 12:30 AM
Thank you faraway! I will definetly PM you when I go through with the ordering process. Anyone know what the equivilant (regular, italian?) for the high spanish tops is? How does the leather hold out? I am not sure if I should order the normal or the thin.

Little Indian
Oct. 20, 2009, 01:17 PM
I have thin and they are definitely thin. If I wore them every day to ride in, they would have holes by now.

Pony Soprano
Nov. 10, 2009, 08:53 PM
Where do they have the prices on the website? I am feeling a little slow I think....:confused:

Void
Nov. 10, 2009, 09:08 PM
Oh man :eek: Me thinks I need to visit family in Am. Sur again and get me some boots lol. "Oh yea Gpa I am here to see you.. but first I need to buy some boots" hahaha

Pony Soprano
Nov. 11, 2009, 10:59 AM
Anyone know of prices? Their contact sheet appears to only be if you are actually ordering the boots. Knowing me, I have picked out the mega expensive ones as my favorite :sadsmile:

BAC
Nov. 11, 2009, 05:00 PM
There are prices but they seem to be in Argentinian currency. I don't know how to convert... I tried but all I came up with was Arg. pesos and that definitely wasn't correct.

You can easily do the conversions for any currency at www.oanda.com (http://www.oanda.com) - its simple and self-explanatory.

Shadowfax701
Nov. 11, 2009, 06:01 PM
Anyone know of prices? Their contact sheet appears to only be if you are actually ordering the boots. Knowing me, I have picked out the mega expensive ones as my favorite :sadsmile:

I emailed and was told $590 US delivered for tall boot models and $300 delivered for paddock boots. I'm seriously thinking about it but worried about doing my own measuring!

hype
Nov. 11, 2009, 06:40 PM
The person doing the measuring is the key to getting boots that fit well. For almost $600 you'd probably be better off buying a stock boot then measuring yourself. It is really difficult to measure for boots. Try it yourself and see if you get the same measurements over and over again. There is an art to measuring for boots.

Think about people you know who have beautiful Vogels, then think of the nightmare stories you've heard from those who have sent back their Vogels three and four times and they still don't fit. It is all in who measures. It doesn't matter how well the boots are made if they don't fit well.

Pony Soprano
Nov. 12, 2009, 08:27 AM
So does that mean that no matter what extras I want on the boots, it is the same price? I guess that I just need to contact them to understand this better. It sounds like some people were quoted a lower price. I still can't find a price even in a different currency on the site.

I was thinking I could pay a nominal fee to my local tack store, who measures for boots, to do my measurements to help ensure that they come out correctly.

Equus_girl
Nov. 12, 2009, 11:53 AM
I have had a bad experience with them. I got measured for a pair of field boots AT THEIR STORE, in Argentina. They came in about a month, and were too big. We are talking like 2 sizes here. It was a hassle to return them, and they barely spoke english when I called the store. I ended up giving them away to my trainer, she uses them for showing, but keeps having issues with zippers. I would not order anything from them again. If they get a size right, you will end up with nice pair of reasonably priced SHOW boots, but again, I am not sure how long they will last.

To the person who wanted paddock boots- the leather is so delicate and thin that they would not last for more than a month under normal wear and tear (by which I mean riding, mucking stalls and washing horses) - waste of time and money.

JazCreekInc.
Nov. 12, 2009, 12:12 PM
I have a pair of Casa De Las Botas boots that I bought off the shelf for $600. They are great boots but the zipper just broke last week. I am going to get them fixed because they are in pretty good shape otherwise but I also ordered a pair of La Mundial boots last week. Everyone who has them that I have talked to loves them and they look lovely as well.

They also measure you and make them for $580+50 for shipping from Ecuador. Maybe worth checking out if you are concerned about being measured. They also claim that they will fix any issues you have when they arrive which would also help with measuring concerns...

hype
Nov. 12, 2009, 04:36 PM
http://www.willsondavidson.com/

This is a boot company from Chile with boots to die for. They fit better than any custom I've ever seen because they use so many more measurements than the other boot companies. LA Mundial are great for the price but take a long time to be delivered.

These boots are amazing and are 899 including zippers, spur rests etc. The leather is beautiful and are fully lined. They break in wonderfully in a day or two. They are durable as well. For an extra $100 you can get them in 30 days. They generally take 8 weeks if not rushed.

They have US retailers.

Calhoun
Nov. 12, 2009, 07:09 PM
$150 for shipping? Why so expensive? I order from Germany a few times a year and never pay this much.

Xanthoria
Nov. 12, 2009, 07:36 PM
Shipping costs? I got my custom boots in 2 weeks from day of measuring.

what can I say? :yes:

FrenchFrytheEqHorse
Nov. 12, 2009, 10:51 PM
I received a reply from La Case de Las Botas within 24 hours of writing an inquiry regarding the price for their Martin Mayo field boots. They quoted me $590.00 shipped.

Because I was afraid of measuring myself, I asked a local tack shop that's been measuring for Vogel and Dehner for 20 years if they would measure me based on their standards for a fee. They quoted me $75.00 for the measurements, which they would guarantee. I am getting measured tomorrow.

LCdlB quoted me 25 days from measurement to reception if that helps...

In The Gate
Nov. 13, 2009, 03:35 AM
I ordered a pair from La Mundial based on measurements taken by a professional who fits boots all the time... and when they arrived they didn't fit at all (one too big, the other too small) and I had no recourse because there was no way to send them back. I went through hell (long story!) trying to sell them but did eventually sell them for what I paid. I ordered a pair from La Mundial (same price and the company is in the USA so if they don't fit I have a person to take them to!) which should be here any day.

I wouldn't do it again... too much hassle with no recourse if things don't go right.

Pony Soprano
Nov. 13, 2009, 08:57 AM
I sent them an email yesterday, so I should hear back soon hopefully.

FrenchFry- I can't believe they charged $75 for measurements! I would have had to walk away from that.

The willson davidson boots are pretty but out of my budget at the moment, and for that price I might be inclined to just save a bit more and go for another pair of dehners or derdaus. Maybe it is just the website, but I do not find the mundials to be an attractive boot.

hype
Nov. 13, 2009, 09:09 AM
For the price Grand Prix boots are great. They last and last and break in really well. We've had a lot of kids at the barn buy those boots. They are around $600. They were too short for my kids but seem to fit a pretty wide range of people.

I actually asked one of the kids moms what kind of boot she had because I thought it was custom and she said Grand Prix. This was a family who I was sure had gotten custom boots. She said she was going to get custom but they fit her daughter so well they went with the Grand Prix boots. They were originally going to be her schooling boots but ended up as her show boots.

As far as having other people measure for custom boots from another company I would be leery. Each company measures things in different ways. To ensure a great fit you would have to have the measuring person trained by the boot company. Measuring is a huge part of having the boot fit well, equally as important as the manufacture of the boot in my opinion.

FrenchFrytheEqHorse
Nov. 13, 2009, 12:44 PM
Why would $75.00 have turned you off? Measuring for custom boots is skilled labor that takes a pretty significant amount of time. I would question the ability of any individual claiming to have measured themselves. Of course I paid my tack shop to measure me- they didn't spend 45 minutes on their hands and knees for free... And I will get boots that fit me.

Jo
Nov. 13, 2009, 02:00 PM
Faraway, I LOVE bling and I love your boots!

Pony Soprano
Nov. 13, 2009, 07:01 PM
I agree that the tack store should be paid, but I think $75 is exorbitant. At that rate you are saying that a tack store employee is making $100/hour. I have been measured for 4 pairs of custom boots, it has never taken 45 minutes, and they have never needed refitting upon arrival.

FrenchFrytheEqHorse
Nov. 15, 2009, 05:49 AM
I guess to each his/her own. I am confident that these boots will fit. The man that measured me does all the Dehner work for the Maryland State Police, so has literally measured hundreds of legs. After seeing the LCdlB measuring specs, he showed me the Dehner specs- they are the exact same, so the measurements will be right.

I ordered my boots today, and am extremely excited to receive them. So far, this company has been extremely easy to get in touch with, and despite some minor translation issues, extremely accommodating. Can't wait for the boots to arrive!!

Sunday Best
Nov. 15, 2009, 11:19 AM
For those who have ordered these boots, exactly which ones did you choose, and which leather thickness?
For hunter-appropriate boots, has anyone chosen a style other than the Martin Mayo (Fermín Carreras or Paris maybe, but in black?)
Thanks!

Premed
Jan. 16, 2012, 05:38 PM
I am hoping to revive some information from this thread!

I have been looking for months to purchase a pair of customs that are good quality and last and inexpensive! I have heard absolute horror stories about La Mundials and trying to converse with them over the phone has left me with two failed attempts and no faith left in them! So they're out of the question in my opinion.

I absolutely love the look of the La Casa de Los Botas- I think they're incredible. I'm from Canada and I've emailed with the assistant a few times- she's been so helpful! She quoted me $630 for boots including shipping. I'm looking to order two pairs of boots- not sure how that will affect the price, but I'm sure she'll let me know. I want to order a pair of boots that will last, I generally don't ride in my field boots unless i'm breaking them in or competing.

What can you guys tell me from past experiences on quality of the boots as well as the best way to order them??

Xanthoria
Jan. 17, 2012, 12:56 PM
What can you guys tell me from past experiences on quality of the boots as well as the best way to order them??

I have had mine for about 4 years now I think? I keep them for clinics and showing, and they're in great shape.

At the time I got them there was no leather thickness choice aside from dressage boots being stiffer.

I ordered mine in the store when I went there on vacation - they measured themselves.

I was a bit disappointed to learn that while the peso is now even weaker against the dollar than when I was there, the price for the boots has gone up a lot. (I paid $300 + $150 shipping, they're now saying $630 total.)

Does anyone know if they're cheaper if you buy them in the store?

nycjumper
Jan. 17, 2012, 01:14 PM
Xan - the reason the price is more is that we have about 30% inflation annually here. Things in general cost A LOT more than they did 4 years ago. The better exchange rate doesn't make a dent in the costs since it can't keep up with the inflation.

I got my boots made about 6 months ago by another bootmaker here that I prefer and paid 1600 pesos (so about 375 USD). They prob cost around $400 USD now + I don't know what shipping is but probably around $200 USD to get boots to the US so $630 doesn't seem shocking to me.

Premed
Jan. 20, 2012, 05:21 PM
I'm not too shocked st the 630 price. It is so much better than most custom boots that start at 900 and go up from there! In terms of the leather thickness, what would you guys suggest?

faraway46
Jan. 21, 2012, 02:28 PM
Well they have normal leather which lasts pretty long (I beat mine up and have gone 4 years and just now are starting to show some wear).
If you want glove like leather, you can go with what we call here "cabritilla" which is veeeery thin and luxurious but wont hold up long (unless you just use them for shows). It's almost like glove leather, literally.

If you need any more data, mail me. It's in my profile.

V

EAY
Jan. 21, 2012, 04:00 PM
If you want glove like leather, you can go with what we call here "cabritilla" which is veeeery thin and luxurious but wont hold up long (unless you just use them for shows). It's almost like glove leather, literally.

This is what I have and it is very soft. I love it but it would not hold up to daily use. So I try to take good care of my boots and only use them for shows and clinics. One advantage of the softer leather is that you get really close contact and it's quite grippy.

My understanding is that it's more typical in Argentina to wear boots and breeches for everyday riding so most there go for regular leather. They were kind of surprised when I asked for the softer leather when I was being measured.

Faraway, it's not goat leather, is it? I was thinking that what I have is calfskin.

faraway46
Jan. 22, 2012, 12:13 AM
Faraway, it's not goat leather, is it? I was thinking that what I have is calfskin.

Not goat leather. It's calfskin. At least I think so but I'm not much into shoemaking... :winkgrin:
Yes, it is common to use boots and breeches everyday, more than half chaps and paddocks. These are more for when you are just getting started and don't want to spend much. Once you're into the sport, the second thing you buy are your boots (first thing is your helmet...)